PDA

View Full Version : Facial features linked to stereotypes and social class perception. (University of Glasgow)

Voskos
01-28-2024, 09:47 AM
Research shows that people are quick to form impressions of other people’s social class standing, which can have important consequences – but what specifically drives these impressions, and their relationship to judgements of harmful or advantageous stereotypes, has remained unknown.

Social class is a powerful hierarchy that determines many privileges and disadvantages in society. Research shows that people are quick to form impressions of other people’s social class standing, which can have important consequences – but what specifically drives these impressions, and their relationship to judgements of harmful or advantageous stereotypes, has remained unknown.

A new study – led by the University of Glasgow and published in the APA Journal of Experimental Psychology: General – used a perception-based, data-driven method to identify the specific 3D facial features that drive perceptions of social class standing and show how these relate to other stereotype-related judgements.

Led by a team of researchers at the University’s School of Psychology and Neuroscience, the research focused on the question of what makes someone appear to be of a higher or lower social class standing (or what makes someone look rich vs. poor), and how these appearances are linked to perceptions of competence, warmth, dominance, and trustworthiness – traits which are stereotypically linked to social class. The study was carried out with White participants from Western cultures, employing a large number of face stimuli.

The results reveal a unique constellation of facial features that underlie judgements of social class. Faces perceived as poor exhibited particular characteristics such as being wider, shorter, and flatter, with downturned mouths and darker, cooler complexions. Each of these facial features also made faces appear more incompetent, cold, or untrustworthy. In contrast, faces perceived as rich were narrower and longer with upturned mouths and lighter, warmer complexions – features which corresponded to those associated with perceptions of competence, warmth, and trustworthiness.

Corresponding author Dr R. Thora Bjornsdottir (now Lecturer at the University of Stirling) said: “People who are perceived to be of high or low social class standing are also often judged as having advantageous or unfavourable traits, respectively. Such judgements are formed even just from facial appearance, and this can have substantial downstream consequences, including disadvantaging those who are perceived to be of lower social class standing.

“In our study, by revealing the facial features that underlie these subjective judgements, we provide new insights into what makes someone look rich or poor and show how these judgements relate to positive and negative stereotypes (such as competence vs. incompetence). The results suggest that social class stereotypes explain the link between facial appearance and judgements of individuals’ social class standing. This highlights that the stereotypes we hold are consequential for how we perceive others – they bias our perceptions. Our impressions of other people can then lead to particular advantages or disadvantages for them.”

Prof Rachael E. Jack, Professor of Computational Social Cognition, added: “Our research demonstrates how specific facial attributes play a pivotal role in connecting social class perceptions with related stereotypes. These findings are not only valuable for advancing our understanding of central social perception theories, but could also help with future interventions designed to interrupt biased perceptions.”

The study, ‘Social Class Perception Is Driven by Stereotype-Related Facial Features,’ is published in APA Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. The study was funded by the European Research Council (ERC), the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Wellcome Trust, and Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).

Mortimer
01-28-2024, 09:50 AM
So basically alpignids are poor, nordids are rich.... That was known before

Oliver109
01-28-2024, 01:28 PM
In the UK UP types are well known to be represented in the working and lower middle classes almost exclusively, upper class people have an abundance of Nordics, meds and atlantids though a lot of Up types are present but with more Nordic and med influence.

PaganPoet
01-28-2024, 01:48 PM
There is no such perception in Belgium.

Katarzyna
01-28-2024, 01:50 PM
I am a proud Alpinid peasant

Colonel Frank Grimes
01-28-2024, 01:59 PM
It's not that difficult to tell someone's class on appearance just by the clothes they wear and how healthy they look. In the lower class alcohol and drug consumption is higher and shows itself in their countenance, for example.

People who are better off always look much healthier.

Sarin
01-28-2024, 02:13 PM
The first impressions about class in my region is formed by how one is carrying himself / herself - clothes , grooming , accessories , vehicle etc. not facial features or skin tone since light & dark both exist especially among classes well off . Some jāti / biradri are forward & have all types ligh-dark , robust-soft depending upon the specific ones . Eg. PK especially unmixed ones are usually lighter while Baniya are usually darker .

Kess
01-28-2024, 02:41 PM
The first impressions about class in my region is formed by how one is carrying himself / herself - clothes , grooming , accessories , vehicle etc. not facial features or skin tone since light & dark both exist especially among classes well off . Some jāti / biradri are forward & have all types ligh-dark , robust-soft depending upon the specific ones . Eg. PK especially unmixed ones are usually lighter while Baniya are usually darker .

Same here.

nittionia
01-28-2024, 02:50 PM
Phenotype is not really indicative of class where I live

PlattitüdenPaule
01-28-2024, 03:45 PM

In India social standing gets determined by the position someone has in his local shitting street.

Scarface F
01-28-2024, 03:47 PM

Not really, it's just typical for UK. Historically Alpine dominated parts of Europe were much richer and culturally advanced than Nordid dominated parts for most of history.

Scarface F
01-28-2024, 03:49 PM
My father was always stopped by Yugo and later Croatian Police on border and suspected to be criminal due to his dangerous looking face. He is upper middle class.

Abaddon
01-28-2024, 03:50 PM
In India social standing gets determined by the position someone has in his local shitting street.

And also by how many rats they eat in each street.

Sarin
01-28-2024, 03:53 PM

Why so angry , mate ?

Sarin
01-28-2024, 03:57 PM
And also by how many rats they eat in each street.

Another high IQ post .

Oliver109
01-28-2024, 04:12 PM
Not really, it's just typical for UK. Historically Alpine dominated parts of Europe were much richer and culturally advanced than Nordid dominated parts for most of history.

Weren't alpines said to be quite bourgeois in general? to me they strike me as being more cultured than the UP survivors and more domestic but they don't have the brilliance of character and innovation of the nordics.

Scarface F
01-28-2024, 04:20 PM
Weren't alpines said to be quite bourgeois in general? to me they strike me as being more cultured than the UP survivors and more domestic but they don't have the brilliance of character and innovation of the nordics.

I don't want to discuss esoteria here, it's all childlish nonsense.

PlattitüdenPaule
01-28-2024, 04:32 PM
I don't want to discuss esoteria here, it's all childlish nonsense.

It`s for people who never leave the house and thus have to get their knowledge about people and social interactions in books or the internet.

fortress europe
01-28-2024, 04:43 PM
No, it is not indicative for social status here in Austria at present era for ordinary people. Some rulers of our country were Alpine. For example Kaiser Karl I and chanchellor Dr. Engelbert Dollfuß (a true manlet). It is funny however when Alpines did manual labor or farming it was considered (by Madison Grant e.g.) a menial activity, but when Nordics were peasants and workers it was considered to be virtuous.

Katarzyna
01-28-2024, 04:49 PM

Ok if thats the case why are all those EU institutions and financial firms in countries with predominantly alpine phenotypes (like Luxemburg or Belgium)?
And then why do those East Nordids from Eastern Europe come to Central Europe (eg. to Poland and Czechia) when we are peasant alpinids/gorids?
Hmmm ;)

Oliver109
01-28-2024, 04:51 PM
No, it is not indicative for social status here in Austria at present era for ordinary people. Some rulers of our country were Alpine. For example Kaiser Karl I and chanchellor Dr. Engelbert Dollfuß (a true manlet). It is funny however when Alpines did manual labor or farming it was considered (by Madison Grant e.g.) a menial activity, but when Nordics were peasants and workers it was considered to be virtuous.

It's about the general proportion of people who exhibit such a phenotype though, the great inventors and industrialists were generally of the Nordic type, some people with heavy alpine influence also have been involved in engineering etc like Isambard Brunel but when measured in numbers it is the Nordics who make up the greater amount of scientists and men of influence, it is why Scotland and the North dominated quite a lot of Britain in technological advancement while the South didn't dominate there as much, something that i am often reminded of by people from the North of England who are now unfairly seen as peasants.

Katarzyna
01-28-2024, 05:00 PM
I just restored my old dp to annoy the author of that text ;)

Mortimer
01-29-2024, 04:04 AM
Ok if thats the case why are all those EU institutions and financial firms in countries with predominantly alpine phenotypes (like Luxemburg or Belgium)?
And then why do those East Nordids from Eastern Europe come to Central Europe (eg. to Poland and Czechia) when we are peasant alpinids/gorids?
Hmmm ;)

I just thought it could mean this after reading the OP, but maybe it doesnt?

It says

The results reveal a unique constellation of facial features that underlie judgements of social class. Faces perceived as poor exhibited particular characteristics such as being wider, shorter, and flatter, with downturned mouths and darker, cooler complexions. Each of these facial features also made faces appear more incompetent, cold, or untrustworthy. In contrast, faces perceived as rich were narrower and longer with upturned mouths and lighter, warmer complexions – features which corresponded to those associated with perceptions of competence, warmth, and trustworthiness.