PDA

View Full Version : do you really care about being a person that you wanted to be

vailingcloud
01-29-2024, 11:04 PM
i am asking this question myself a lot. I am trying harder now. There are some poeple that i really like from ancient greece and rome, i see them as my role models

gixajo
01-29-2024, 11:06 PM
Not anymore.

Beowulf
01-29-2024, 11:07 PM
yes i do.

vailingcloud
01-29-2024, 11:12 PM
yes i do.
how do you do that?

Seikilos
01-29-2024, 11:14 PM
Is it possible to not aspire to be someone? From an ideal character we can use as an archetype to project a vision, an avatar of a shape we cannot currently incarnate, to a version of ourselves which is in a better position, ready to enjoy better conditions than those we find ourselves in, i don't think it is possible to lead an aimless life to such an extent where we have no aspirations, even when it comes to our form. But to more directly answer your question, yes, of course.

Beowulf
01-29-2024, 11:15 PM
how do you do that?

I'm only trying i'm not even close to be the type of person i want to be.

But i do care about it.

Incal
01-29-2024, 11:44 PM
There are some poeple that i really like from ancient greece and rome, i see them as my role models

Same.

vailingcloud
01-30-2024, 12:24 AM
who is the best role model for you?

Anglo-Celtic
01-30-2024, 01:16 AM
That describes our whole lives. We strive to be the best that we can be, and we try to learn from our mistakes and our problems like salmon swimming upstream, but the main thing is to not drown. Sometimes, I just try to get through the day. There are times when I think about changing my user name to "Job".

Incal
01-30-2024, 01:32 AM
who is the best role model for you?

Socrates, Xenophon, Marcus Aurelius and Cicero.

Mr.G
01-30-2024, 01:57 AM
That describes our whole lives. We strive to be the best that we can be, and we try to learn from our mistakes and our problems like salmon swimming upstream, but the main thing is to not drown. Sometimes, I just try to get through the day. There are times when I think about changing my user name to "Job".

I was gonna write something Anglo, but this is better than anything I was gonna say. And funnier. You hit it on the nose.

Cheers, buddy.

Abaddon
01-30-2024, 02:27 AM
Im already what i wanted to be :cool:

Anglo-Celtic
01-30-2024, 03:31 AM
I was gonna write something Anglo, but this is better than anything I was gonna say. And funnier. You hit it on the nose.

Cheers, buddy.

Thanks, brother. That means a lot, coming from someone like you.

BakersfieldChimp
01-30-2024, 03:56 AM
I have achieved some of the things I wanted to achieve as a kid, some I have not.'
Some of the things I did achieve turned out to be less important than I thought they would be when I was young.

In my early twenties, I gave up Grad school for fame and fortune in the aerospace industry.
In my thirties, I did go back and get my Master's but stopped after that. Family priorities became more important.

"In the last 3 or 4 years, I've been trying to figure out what one does with one's self once one's dreams have come true...I think I know the answer—find another dream—FAST!!!"-Steve Earle
i