PDA

View Full Version : Please classify and guess ethnicity

Loki
04-17-2009, 11:17 PM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1516&stc=1&d=1240010218

Electronic God-Man
04-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Fat Antonio Banderas-oid.

Atlas
04-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Italian ?

Loki
04-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Italian ?

Nope.

Psychonaut
04-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I'd be willing to bet that at least half of his ancestry comes from the Arctic; he's either partly Eskimo, Sammi, Siberian or some other vaguely Asiatic type. If I had to guess nationality, I'd say he's either Canadian or Russian.

Loki
04-18-2009, 12:21 AM
He's ethnic Latvian :)

Atlas
04-18-2009, 12:23 AM

He's really not the type of blonde haired blue eyed latvian as I would imagine.

Electronic God-Man
04-18-2009, 12:25 AM

Something tells me there is something else in the ole woodpile.

Loki
04-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Something tells me there is something else in the ole woodpile.

Not necessarily. There's a dark strain among native Balts too. They're not all blonde and blue-eyed.

The Lawspeaker
04-18-2009, 12:50 AM
It may seem weird but could this guy be Flemish or Dutch ?
We have our fair share of darker people here too- especially in the south.

Loki
04-18-2009, 12:52 AM
It may seem weird but could this guy be Flemish or Dutch ?
We have our fair share of darker people here too- especially in the south.

Not native Dutch, no. I don't know what kinds of rubbish you have in Holland these days though.

The Lawspeaker
04-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Not native Dutch, no. I don't know what kinds of rubbish you have in Holland these days though.
Well.. in the south there are slightly darker people. I have seen it in Flanders. It could be because the Spanish soldiers bred themselves into the population....

But I see to my amazement that he is Latvian. So they aren't the blond, blue-eyed people I thought they were. (also the two Latvians I have met for real were blond

Æmeric
04-18-2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1516&stc=1&d=1240010218

Are you certain he is Latvian & not just a Latvian citizen. I might say he was Lappid or Ladogan (not improbable in the Baltic states) but do they come that dark? Stalin relocated a lot of non-Balts into Latvia & Estonia post-WWII.

Loki
04-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Are you certain he is Latvian & not just a Latvian citizen. I might say he was Lappid or Ladogan (not improbable in the Baltic states) but do they come that dark? Stalin relocated a lot of non-Balts into Latvia & Estonia post-WWII.

From what I understand, ethnic Latvian. There has been a dark, questionable strain in the Baltic long before Stalin even.

Äike
04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
That is not a pure Latvian. I'm sure in that. I have been to Latvia several times and Latvians are light people.

There are many possible reasons why this guy looks like this.

1) A Russian immigrant(Latvia has lots) who has blended into the Latvian society and taken a Latvian name?

2) When the Russian troops retook The Baltic area, then they liked to rape a lot. And they had some non-whites in the army. This guy's grandparent could be a non-Latvian.

The fact is, this guy is not a native Latvian. Any Latvian or any person who has seen a lot of Latvians, would say that this guy is in no way a Latvian.

Treffie
04-18-2009, 11:00 AM
The fact is, this guy is not a native Latvian. Any Latvian or any person who has seen a lot of Latvians, would say that this guy is in no way a Latvian.

Yes, but how do we really know this? The only way that we'd know this is if we asked him or looked into his ancestry.

Äike
04-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes, but how do we really know this? The only way that we'd know this is if we asked him or looked into his ancestry.

If about 95% of the Latvians are light in every way. And then there are a few, like 5% who are dark and look different from the majority of Latvians.

The 5% are clearly from other origins then. Many nationalities have been to Latvia. (Poles, Russians, Germans etc.)

Then who is the real Latvian? Yeah, let's forget that the majority of Latvians are light and claim that this 1 guy is the one of the few "Native Latvians".(sarcasm)

Sarmata
04-18-2009, 01:33 PM

In almost every nation we can found some weird individual...This one looks like semi mongoloid, so maybe he is partially Tartar or something? I knew from different forum Latvian girl who were half Khanty...and some nazi-boy who was guest on Stirpes:), who looks a bit simillar(weird Nordic-mongoloid mix).

Loki
04-18-2009, 03:19 PM
That is not a pure Latvian. I'm sure in that. I have been to Latvia several times and Latvians are light people.

1) A Russian immigrant(Latvia has lots) who has blended into the Latvian society and taken a Latvian name?

2) When the Russian troops retook The Baltic area, then they liked to rape a lot. And they had some non-whites in the army. This guy's grandparent could be a non-Latvian.

Karl, I beg to disagree. You couldn't have been everywhere to Latvia to see the whole racial distribution there. From Coon's Races of Europe (http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/chapter-IX12.htm):

Opportunities for the absorption of mongoloid blood came at several times, especially in 1410, when the Lithuanian prince Witold sought help from the Tatar Khan Tochtamysch, and was given 40,000 men who subsequently settled on the banks of the Niemen River near Vilna. In 1432 more Tatar allies came from the Volga, and 3000 of them remained in the service of the great Lithuanian princes.

The great Russian census of 1887 found 6540 persons of admitted Tatar ancestry in Lithuania, Poland, Volhynia, and Podolia. Many more must have been absorbed, while others, soon after their arrival, may have wandered eastward to their former homes. At any rate, in studying the racial composition of the Baltic peoples, the Finnic tribes who have been absorbed by the Letts (and in particular the Livs), the Germans, and the Tatars must not be forgotten.

Remember that in the past, Lithuania was a vast kingdom that encompassed present-day Latvia.

Lenny
04-20-2009, 03:14 AM
Karl, I beg to disagree. You couldn't have been everywhere to Latvia to see the whole racial distribution there. From Coon's Races of Europe (http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/chapter-IX12.htm):

Remember that in the past, Lithuania was a vast kingdom that encompassed present-day Latvia.I don't think Lithuania ever ruled over Latvia for any extended period of time?

Mostly they were under Swedish protection, and before that "Saxon" (the Estonian word for German is Saksa), and Hanseatic "rule". The disastrous defeat to Russia lost them to the Germanic-Protestant sphere temporarily, and Stalin gobbled them up in 1940. Any visible non-Nordic/Baltic racial strains in Latvia would in almost all cases be post-Stalin immigrants, deliberately brought in by the USSR to crush local hopes for national survival.

Lenny
04-20-2009, 03:38 AM

Simple genetics dictates that a genepool that is mostly light-eyed and has almost no native pure-dark-eyed people*--as in the Latvian people,-- cannot produce a person with pure dark eyes like that. He is not Latvian, at least not fully.

(* - Coon: The eye color of the Letts as a whole is predominantly light, with...predominantly light shades reaching between 57 per cent and 59 per cent; pure brown eyes are very rare, but dark-mixed eyes are not uncommon. (http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/chapter-IX12.htm)). Note: Latvians used to be known in English as "Letts" [as they still are in German].

Mostly they were under Swedish protection, and before that "Saxon" (the Estonian word for German is Saksa), and Hanseatic "rule". The disastrous defeat to Russia lost them to the Germanic-Protestant sphere temporarily, and Stalin gobbled them up in 1940. Any visible non-Nordic/Baltic racial strains in Latvia would in almost all cases be post-Stalin immigrants, deliberately brought in by the USSR to crush local hopes for national survival.

Tangential, but:
IMO, one cannot begin to understand the Latvian and Estonian (and Finnish) mindsets without understanding how good they had it while part of the Western-Germanic sphere and protected thereby; VS. how bad they had it under Russian rule during the 1720-1920, 1940-1941, and 1945-1991 occupations. (Especially the last, when both nations were very nearly strangled to death by the USSR).

They say it was the Baltic-German landowning class that saved the Baltic peoples from being "russified out of existence" during the 1720-1920 period. (Like many empires, the regents in Moscow and Petersburg had to defer to local authorities in many cases.) The Baltic-Germans flatly forbade the upsetting of the established order by bringing in new people and also maintained local culture/language. Hence Estonia was 95% Estonian and under 1% Russian upon independence in 1920, after 200 yrs of Russian rule!, and Latvia likewise had almost no Russians.