PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is all about being PC.

Beorn
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Femteklassingene ved Øren skole i Drammen ble invitert til juleavslutning, men endte opp på vintermarkering med nisseluenekt.

Torsdag i forrige uke ble femteklassingene ved Øren barneskole invitert til juleavslutning. Flere av barna hadde også pyntet seg med nisseluer og julekjoler. Det falt ikke i god jord, skriver Drammens Tidende (http://dt.no/nyheter/nektet-nisseluer-pa-skoleavslutning-1.6661838).

Elevene ble informert av læreren at de ikke skulle ha nisselue. Min datter og flere andre barn valgte å ikke på høre på det, og kom med nisselue. Hun fikk da beskjed om å ta av seg nisseluen fordi hun måtte ta hensyn til alle med en annen kultur og tro, sier Vibeke Alm Thoen til VG Nett.

Vintermarkering

Da alle var på plass og lærerne ønsket velkommen, ble det klart sagt fra at det fra nå av ikke lenger kunne kalles en juleavslutning, fra nå av skulle det hete vintermarkering.

Flere av barna hadde pyntet seg med både luer og røde fregner, og ble naturligvis skuffet da de fikk beskjeden om at det heller ikke skulle synges julesanger.

- Jeg synes hele saken er merkelig og beskjeden kom overraskende på flere foreldre. Det er surrealistisk at de sang Trond Viggo Torgersens sang «Tenke sjæl». Det er jo ikke noe religiøst bak nissen, det burde skolen vite, sier Alm Thoen.

Til VG Nett sier hun at hun har hatt barn ved skolen i 14 år, men har aldri vært borti noe lignende.

- Jeg synes det er stygt at ungene får beskjed om å ta av seg lua. Det hører ikke noe sted hjemme, sier Alm Thoen.

Ikke sensur

Rektor Tove Fredriksen ved Øren skole avviser at de er i ferd med å sensurere de norske juletradisjonene bort fra skolens innhold.

- Jeg var ikke der selv, men ifølge en av klassestyrerne var dette en helt ordinær juleavslutning. Lærerne og elevene hadde blitt enige på forhånd om at dette ikke skulle være en nissefest, sier rektoren.

Leder Tone Mette Pytte i Foreldrenes arbeidsutvalg (FAU) mener det er opp til hver klasse hvordan de velger å ha avslutning før jul. Hun er selv mor til en elev på 5. trinn og syntes avslutningen var fin.

- Nå synes jeg vi skal fokusere mer på barnas prestasjoner på markeringen, i stedet for nisseluer eller ei, sier hun.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10040887
Translation to English by PN (http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2011/12/norwegian-christmas-not.html)

Fifth-graders at Øren school in Drammen were invited to a Christmas celebration to end the school term, but ended up with “Winter Marking” and were not allowed to wear red caps [nisselue, traditional/national red cap symbolic of Norway—translator].

Thursday last week the fifth graders at Øren primary school were invited to Christmas celebration [Tradition, Santa Clauses come and hand out small packets of candy, oranges etc.; children walk around the tree, and sing songs — translator].

Several of the children had dressed up with red caps and Christmas dresses. This did not go down well.

“The pupils were informed by the teacher that they were not to wear red caps. My daughter and several other children decided not to listen to that order and came wearing a red cap. She was then told to remove the cap as she had to consider all those with a different culture and faith,” says Vibeke Alm Thoen to VG Nett.

Winter Marking

After everyone arrived and the teachers had welcomed them, they clearly stated that from now on it would no longer be called a Christmas celebration, but should be named Winter Marking.

Several of the children had dressed up with both caps and red freckles, and were of course greatly disappointed when they were told there would be no Christmas carols sung.

“I think this whole thing is strange and the message came as a surprise to most parents. It’s surreal that they sang Trond Viggo Torgersen’s “Tenke sjæl” [song title: Think for yourself — translator]. There is nothing religious behind Santa Claus; the school should know that,” says Alm Thoen. To VG Nett she says that she has had children at the school for fourteen years, but has never experienced anything similar.

“I think its straight up nasty that the kids are told to take off their caps. This doesn’t belong anywhere,” says Alm Thoen.

Not censorship

School principal Tove Fredriksen at Øren school rejects that they are censoring away the Norwegian Christmas traditions from the school content.

“I wasn’t there myself, but according to one of the teachers this was a completely ordinary Christmas celebration. The teachers and students had in advance agreed that this was not to be a nissefest [Santa Claus celebration — translator],” says the principal.

The leader of the parental advisory board Tone Mette Pytte thinks it’s up to each class how they choose to celebrate end of term before Christmas. She herself is the mother of a pupil in the 5th grade, and think it was a nice celebration.

“Now i think we should focus more on the children’s performance during the celebration, instead of whether or not there were red caps,” she says.

Osweo
12-13-2011, 11:41 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5686/45975313.png
Urgh...

Spam the fuckers with complaint emails, if you like; oren.skole@drammen.kommune.no :p

Marmie Dearest
12-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Yes, rob the local children of their holiday celebration so that the Muslims can feel more comfortable.

I hope they also asked all of the Islamic women to remove their head scarves. Because, you know, they wouldn't want people of other faiths to feel left out.

We've had this kind of thing in the U.S. for a while now, though. "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" et al.

SaxonCeorl
12-18-2011, 10:45 PM
I heard a television commentator refer to it as the "festive period."

I imagine it's not as bad in the United States due to our more overt Christianity.

Pallantides
12-18-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't know much about Øren skole, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's one of those very "culturally enriched" schools(large number of immigrant students)

Most people don't give a shit about muslim sensitivities.
But personally I find Christmas time to be a boring drivel of decadence and consumerism(well do I celebrate Christmas with my mom every year though)

Rødskjegg
12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I read somewhere that they did this because some local church/congregation wanted to include the muslims. Overly liberal peoples fault.

And I share Pallantides opinion in Christmas.

Hevneren
12-23-2011, 11:06 PM
I heard this was due to Jehovas Witnesses.

Hevneren
12-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Yes, rob the local children of their holiday celebration so that the Muslims can feel more comfortable.

I hope they also asked all of the Islamic women to remove their head scarves. Because, you know, they wouldn't want people of other faiths to feel left out.

We've had this kind of thing in the U.S. for a while now, though. "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" et al.

Nobody really listens to this BS. Many of the parents protested this. We generally don't agree to this kind of nonsense, and this school was one of few to try any of this crap. Even a Muslim immigrant said we shouldn't do this, and from what I'm told the immigrant parents generally want their kids to learn about our Christmas traditions. Pretty much everyone is against this apart from the religious nuts and PC freaks.

Hevneren
12-23-2011, 11:15 PM
I heard a television commentator refer to it as the "festive period."

I imagine it's not as bad in the United States due to our more overt Christianity.

In Norway we've retained the pagan word, jul, and we've kept many pagan traditions. The Christians, non-religious people (like myself) or people of other faiths generally don't make a fuss over this holiday here, like they do in the States.

Some Christians have (wrongly) claimed that jul is Christian, which has basically just been met with head-shaking. It's a pagan holiday which has become secularised.

TheBorrebyViking
12-23-2011, 11:19 PM
PC is a fucking joke. PC wankers should just die.

In Norway we've retained the pagan word, jul, and we've kept many pagan traditions. The Christians, non-religious people (like myself) or people of other faiths generally don't make a fuss over this holiday here, like they do in the States.

Some Christians have (wrongly) claimed that jul is Christian, which has basically just been met with head-shaking. It's a pagan holiday which has become secularised.
Yule is still very similar to Christmas. Christmas is pretty much a way for Christians to help convert the populations that had winter festivals. We still eat Yule Ham, We still go caroling, ETC.