PDA

View Full Version : How does Bosnian sound to you?

Hurrem sultana
12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
How does Bosnian sound to you? :D

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=A7OwKZwShmU

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=P_GlW1uIrTw

Rron
12-14-2011, 09:46 PM
English:D

Mordid
12-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Sound like Slav trying to speak Turkish.

morski
12-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Serbian.

Hurrem sultana
12-14-2011, 09:57 PM
English:D

:D

no but seriously,some peopled(swedes,arabs) have told me that bosnian/serbian/croatian sound like a mix of greek and slavic:D

leisitox
12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Sound like serbian-bulgarian slavic with italian,greek influences like latin

Caeruleus
12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
like moldovan :laugh2:

by the way I always had this strange idea that of all modern slavic languages serbo-croatian is the closest to the old vernacular slavic ... any truth to this little theory of mine :confused:

Rron
12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
:D

no but seriously,some peopled(swedes,arabs) have told me that bosnian/serbian/croatian sound like a mix of greek and slavic:D
Its slavic language, how can it sounds different except slavic.

jerney
12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Sound like serbian-bulgarian slavic with italian,greek influences like latin

basically

BiałaZemsta
12-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I like it. I can tell it is slavic, but it deffinately has influences from other languages. Maybe italian or greek? I am not exactly sure.

BiałaZemsta
12-14-2011, 10:08 PM
like moldovan :laugh2:

by the way I always had this strange idea that of all modern slavic languages serbo-croatian is the closest to the old vernacular slavic ... any truth to this little theory of mine :confused:

I could be wrong, but I heard somewhere that Polish and Belorussian languages are closest to the old vernacular slavic. I have no source for that though.

Jerry
12-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I can't tell the difference between Bosnian, Serbian, Polish or Bulgarian for example... All sound the same :(

Edit:
But now that I compare with Polish, I do hear the difference. But I'm afraid in real life I couldn't say what is what. Maybe Bosnian has some Greek influence, because it has something different - and i can't hear as much of the szzz schhh dzzzz -kind of sounds like in Polish (or Russian)

leisitox
12-14-2011, 10:22 PM
First time I hear it in these videos. I thought general slavic like serbian, then I compared it with a video of bulgarian and greek language. I noticed that the rhythm was latin influenced and sounded like italian so much.
Thats the analysis I do when comes to:
How does (insert language here) sound to you?

Caeruleus
12-14-2011, 10:27 PM
I can't tell the difference between Bosnian, Serbian, Polish or Bulgarian for example... All sound the same :(

Edit:
But now that I compare with Polish, I do hear the difference. But I'm afraid in real life I couldn't say what is what. Maybe Bosnian has some Greek influence, because it has something different - and i can't hear as much of the szzz schhh dzzzz -kind of sounds like in Polish (or Russian)

you cant tell the difference between "bosnian" and serbian because there isnt one :) bulgarian and polish are quite different though, especially polish

Hurrem sultana
12-14-2011, 10:31 PM
bulgarian i can kinda understand a lot,but polish is very different :)

there are many latin words used ,and i guess it is latin influenced

Queen B
12-14-2011, 10:36 PM
For a Greek, it doesn't sound like Greek at all.

It sound Slavic. I can't tell the difference between Bosnian, or Serbian , or Fyromian, but it sound softer than Russian.

Slavic languages are not my cup of tea, but they are not ''irritating'' to the ear, like other languages...

Hurrem sultana
12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Slavic languages are not my cup of tea, but they are not ''irritating'' to the ear, like other languages...

i actually don't like Russian at all,how it sounds

Queen B
12-14-2011, 10:45 PM
i actually don't like Russian at all,how it sounds

Russian has lots of consonants, and lots or ''r'' sounds , which I dislike. Same goes for German, which sounds too harsh in my ears.

The Balkan Slavic languages are softer to the ear, but nothing special for me.

I don't really know the difference between them. Can you tell some points of how Bosnian is different from other Balkan languages?

I mean, any special letter-sound? different grammar ?

Damião de Góis
12-14-2011, 11:11 PM
I hardly get any word. As far as sound is concerned, it sounds like a weird mixture of russian and italian.

Comte Arnau
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Eastern Portuguese. :D

Padre Organtino
12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Softer version of Ukranian with latinisms. Serbo/Croat/Bosnian is one of my favourite languages though I have very poor mastery of it.

Hurrem sultana
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
I hardly get any word. As far as sound is concerned, it sounds like a weird mixture of russian and italian.

well what a surprise,and i thought bosnian and portugese were very similar:cool::D

Damião de Góis
12-14-2011, 11:34 PM
well what a surprise,and i thought bosnian and portugese were very similar:cool::D

The sound? Maybe they are to foreigners.

Guapo
12-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Slavic and some Romance

Sikeliot
12-15-2011, 12:03 AM
It sounds like a Slavic language with Italian phonetics.

Kacca
12-15-2011, 12:06 AM
sounds turkish mixed with bulgarian and serbian

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 12:09 AM
sounds turkish mixed with bulgarian and serbian

really`?:rolleyes2:

Kacca
12-15-2011, 12:17 AM
yes

Adrian
12-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Bosnian sounds good to me. Bosnian, croatian and serbian language are very similar. Polish, russian, macedonian and bullgarian sounds diffrent to me.

Bosnian, sta ima ba?

Whay is this ba everywhere in your language?

Amarantine
12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
strange language:P

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Bosnian sounds good to me. Bosnian, croatian and serbian language are very similar. Polish, russian, macedonian and bullgarian sounds diffrent to me.

Bosnian, sta ima ba?

Whay is this ba everywhere in your language?

hard to explain ..it is like "bre" in serbian

morski
12-15-2011, 12:23 PM
hard to explain ..it is like "bre" in serbian

Be, bre, ve, va, ua - all used in Bulgarian:D. I read somewhere that it is a loan from Greek.

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Be, bre, ve, va, ua - all used in Bulgarian:D. I read somewhere that it is a loan from Greek.

it is actaully turkish

and serbs,albanians use it too

bosnians dont

memobekes
12-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Bosnian sounds Slavic of the ijekevian variant.

The Journeyman
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
It sounds like Serbian to me. I must say though, Serbian/Bosnian/Croatian are the most attractive sounding Slavic languages to my ears. They have a very nice musical sound, Very clear (sounds like compound) metres. It sounds maybe like there could be some greek or Latin sounding influences.

Dilberth
12-15-2011, 01:00 PM
It sounds like rude,lower-class Croatian,which it is basically

bluesky
12-15-2011, 01:12 PM
It sounds like a turk trying to speak russian

Turkophagos
12-15-2011, 04:52 PM
it is actaully turkish

and serbs,albanians use it too

bosnians dont

http://aeryssports.com/spreadin-the-news/files/2011/07/nope.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re_(exclamation)

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
any proof?

Turkophagos
12-15-2011, 04:55 PM
any proof?

There's a link there..

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
it is a known fact that it comes from turkey,just like you try to claim baklava,sarma and what else...still everyone outside knows its turkish :D

Ushtari
12-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Bre je Türkiyje

Hess
12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I like all European languages, and Bosnian is no exception :thumb001:

Turkophagos
12-15-2011, 05:07 PM
it is a known fact that it comes from turkey,just like you try to claim baklava,sarma and what else...still everyone outside knows its turkish :D

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/Friendship-Pins/Bosnia-and-Herzegovina/Flag-Pins-Bosnia-and-Herzegovina-Turkey.jpg

morski
12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
http://aeryssports.com/spreadin-the-news/files/2011/07/nope.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re_(exclamation)

Blah, and I'm trying to find a source all day:eusa_doh:
In BG folk songs this more\mori is also very common as an address to someone.

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Bre je Türkiyje

suti bre budalo :D:D:p

Jerry
12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
I have to take back my statement about Polish, I know hear clearly that there is a clear difference to it and Bosnian. The difference to Russian I spot because hearing Russian is a lot more common to me.

But still I can't hear a lot of difference to Bulgarian.

morski
12-15-2011, 05:43 PM
I have to take back my statement about Polish, I know hear clearly that there is a clear difference to it and Bosnian. The difference to Russian I spot because hearing Russian is a lot more common to me.

Serbo-Croation dialects and Macedono-Bulgarian are almost identical lexically, difference is the former are synthetic and the latter- analytical grammatically. They are close phonetically because literary Bulgarian used its Western varieties as the norm for pronunciation.

Mordid
12-15-2011, 05:44 PM

We don't sound like Bosnian at all. Listen to it and you'll tell me what is difference between Bosnian and Polish language:
B6XHUb2MYpo

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 05:45 PM
he just said polish does not sound bosnian

judging by the video,i am glad :D :P

Mordid
12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
My mistake.

Äike
12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Sounds like Slavic with a Romance accent.

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Serbo-Croation dialects and Macedono-Bulgarian are almost identical lexically, difference is the former are synthetic and the latter- analytical grammatically. They are close phonetically because literary Bulgarian used its Western varieties as the norm for pronunciation.

well how much do you understand in bosnian(when spoken)?

Ushtari
12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
My mistake.
Jebemti majku

morski
12-15-2011, 07:05 PM
well how much do you understand in bosnian(when spoken)?

Maybe it was an overstatement on my part to claim those dialects are "almost identical", but when one takes a look at the bigger picture(the South-Slavic dialect continuum) there certainly is a lot of overlap.

Lets say that I can always understand the main topic of any conversation and follow a talk on a familiar topic + pick up nuances of meaning\opinion.

Actually before SkanderbegIsGod got banned we had some smalltalks in CB in Serbo-Croatian:).

billErobreren
12-15-2011, 07:23 PM
videos didn't show anything & I lost my patience but I have heard it both sung & spoken before so I can still give my opinion to me it sounds Slavic mostly like Serbian with but the phonetic of Italian many of their words do sound latin. all in all I think it's an ok language

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Maybe it was an overstatement on my part to claim those dialects are "almost identical", but when one takes a look at the bigger picture(the South-Slavic dialect continuum) there certainly is a lot of overlap.

Lets say that I can always understand the main topic of any conversation and follow a talk on a familiar topic + pick up nuances of meaning\opinion.

Actually before SkanderbegIsGod got banned we had some smalltalks in CB in Serbo-Croatian:).

well i can understand something when i read it but i can not understand much when written,a friend from school who is bulgarian said the same about bosnian

morski
12-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Ahem... I'm sorry, but you lost me there... :confused:

Hurrem sultana
12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
sorry i mean i can understand when reading but not when listening :D

morski
12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Well, I've watched a lot of Serbian films. I suppose that has helped me acquire a better understanding of the language.

askra
12-15-2011, 10:59 PM
slavic with some few words of latin origin

Ants
12-15-2011, 11:05 PM
They speak too fast, they were done speaking before I could start my listening.

AFC_Lad
12-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a mix of Greek Italian and some slavic language..

Hurrem sultana
12-16-2011, 12:56 AM
a bulgarian song :D i don't understand a word..ok maybe 1-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu3i8n8woEo&feature=related

Guapo
12-16-2011, 02:19 AM
http://gdb.rferl.org/1DB57ADE-1448-47A2-9414-96812943AA60_mw800_mh600.jpg

:thumb down

Hurrem sultana
12-16-2011, 02:22 AM
guapo stop spamming,open up a thread and write about whatever nationalistic crap you desire to write about

Absinthe
12-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Strange: even though I know it is slavic, it soulds like it has some pretty heavy latin influences (Italian, Romanian).... I am probably wrong though. I would have a hard time identifying this as an entirely slavic language if I heard it on the street, I'd probably think it's Romanian :p

How similar it is to other Balkan Slavic languages?

morski
12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
a bulgarian song :D i don't understand a word..ok maybe 1-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu3i8n8woEo&feature=related

Pff, crappy chalga :)

Guapo
12-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Strange: even though I know it is slavic, it soulds like it has some pretty heavy latin influences (Italian, Romanian).... I am probably wrong though. I would have a hard time identifying this as an entirely slavic language if I heard it on the street, I'd probably think it's Romanian :p

How similar it is to other Balkan Slavic languages?

"bosnian" or "bosnjacki" is bascially Serbian and Croatian, It was made up in the early 90's as an official language :rolleyes:

Absinthe
12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Okay, but Serbian and Croatian, from the little I have heard, do *not* sound as Romance to me as Bosnian does. So where does the difference in pronunciation come from?

Mordid
12-16-2011, 12:03 PM
guapo stop spamming,open up a thread and write about whatever nationalistic crap you desire to write about
Inshallah

Guapo
12-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Okay, but Serbian and Croatian, from the little I have heard, do *not* sound as Romance to me as Bosnian does. So where does the difference in pronunciation come from?

Italian? Italians say siedi, bosnians sijedi and Serbians sedi for "sit down"

Mordid
12-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Sounds gay.

Absinthe
12-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Uhm, let me rephrase the question :p

I mean, if Bosnian is essentially the same as Croatian and Serbian, as you say, then how/under what conditions did it acquire a more latin sounding pronunciation than its sister languages? :)

Guapo
12-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Uhm, let me rephrase the question :p

I mean, if Bosnian is essentially the same as Croatian and Serbian, as you say, then how/under what conditions did it acquire a more latin sounding pronunciation than its sister languages? :)

I dont see how it is more latin sounding to you, Greek.

Guapo
12-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Sounds gay.

Says teh naughty Santa

Guapo
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Montenegrin sounds more latin sounding than all of them, check out the lady with the whip.

d473nbhHTWc

Caeruleus
12-16-2011, 12:57 PM
"bosnian" or "bosnjacki" is bascially Serbian and Croatian, It was made up in the early 90's as an official language :rolleyes:

just like i said in one of my previous posts ... 'bosnian" sounds like "moldovan" = made up :)

Amarantine
12-16-2011, 01:02 PM
just like i said in one of my previous posts ... 'bosnian" sounds like "moldovan" = made up :)

:eek: after latin elements (sorry Absinth:D), this one is even better comment.

Sounds-like this:

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/upload/yuiupload/989780841.jpg

Absinthe
12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I dont see how it is more latin sounding to you, Greek.
:rolleyes: Okay, it seems that you don't get it/

From my experience, Serbian and Croatian have a very characteristic Slavic sound. When I hear a Serb talking, I know it is a slavic language.

Listening to Bosnian today, it sounds less characteristically Slavic and with a rather distinctively "latin" twist.

Several other posters have commented the same thing, in this thread, and they aren't Greek.

Do you get it now? ;)

And what does my being Greek have to do with any of this discussion?

Amarantine
12-16-2011, 01:08 PM

From my experience, Serbian and Croatian have a very characteristic Slavic sound. When I hear a Serb talking, I know it is a slavic language.

Listening to Bosnian today, it sounds less characteristically Slavic and with a rather distinctively "latin" twist.

Several other posters have commented the same thing, in this thread, and they aren't Greek.

Do you get it now? ;)

I will answer instead of Guapo-he thinks that your Greek has Latin sound:D

Absinthe
12-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I will answer instead of Guapo-he thinks that your Greek has Latin sound:D
That's ridiculous, Greek doesn't have any significant latin influence, even Germanic languages are more latin influenced than Greek.

But to an untrained ear it might appear to be so since Greek doesn't really sound like anything else but people tend to cluster it with Latin because of the geographical proximity.

Guapo
12-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Do you get it now? ;)

This is Serbian, I dont see how different it is from Bosnian

Xp83-KhGcmc

Ushtari
12-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Serbs = wannabe Bosnians

Sagitta Hungarica
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I hear no striking differences from Serbian and Croatian. Basically almost the same with them. From an esthetic point of view however to me it sounds rigid, cold, robotic even. Compared to Eastern Slavic languages, which have a melody, can express a larger range of emotions, this language almost sounds emotionless to my ears.

HungAryan
12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
It sounds like Russian with a twist.

Tony
12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
It sounds like an exotic form of South Slavic, with a lot of latin tones and accents threw in, from Romania I'd say, sometimes it feels like you are hearing Romanian with slavic accents or sort of...

And I can't detect any form of Greek in it, many words in Greek end in -os -es -is -as etc that could bring a phonetic similarity with Spanish, not at all with Bosnian.

Guapo
12-16-2011, 03:38 PM
It sounds like an exotic form of South Slavic, with a lot of latin tones and accents threw in, from Romania I'd say, sometimes it feels like you are hearing Romanian with slavic accents or sort of...

And I can't detect any form of Greek in it, many words in Greek end in -os -es -is -as etc that could bring a phonetic similarity with Spanish, not at all with Bosnian.

Not from Romanian language, from the Romanized natives that used to be found all over ex-Yugoslavia(Istria, east Serbia/Tribalia,Damlazia etc.) The Serb are near Sarajevo is still called Romanija after teh Romans.

SKKCeWrfd8Q

Hurrem sultana
12-16-2011, 03:40 PM
the croats of bosnia are still called sometimes "latini"(but only as degrading,just like you call the serbs "vlasi"-wlachs)

any historical reason for this?

Guapo
12-16-2011, 03:41 PM
the croats of bosnia are still called sometimes "latini"(but only as degrading,just like you call the serbs "vlasi"-wlachs)

"Vlach" is what the Slavs called the Romans just like teh Polaks call Italy, don't they teach you history in the mosques?

Hurrem sultana
12-16-2011, 03:46 PM
"Vlach" is what the Slavs called the Romans just like teh Polaks call Italy, don't they teach you history in the mosques?

No they dont,they only teach out futurism

Okay,but still no explanation why are the serbs in Bosnia called vlachs,and croats latini? today it is a degrading word,but back in old times it was a common word that the serbs,croats themselves used

Dilberth
12-16-2011, 03:55 PM

Bosnian Croats and Muslims have same phenotype and they are lighter than orthodox vlachs,because they are natives and vlachs came with Ottomanic invasions as Turkish auxilliary troops(Martolozi,Akindzije).Good example would be Momčilo the Brow Krajišnik.

Tony
12-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Not from Romanian language, from the Romanized natives that used to be found all over ex-Yugoslavia(Istria, east Serbia/Tribalia,Damlazia etc.) The Serb are near Sarajevo is still called Romanija after teh Romans.

I read somewhere that hundreds of years ago groups of Romanians migrated in western Balkania (i.e. Yugoslavia) as far as Istria and Slovenia and took with them their Latin tongue, today there are left only tiny minorities of them in very small pockets here and there slowly dying off.
However I cannot remember how they were called.

Ah I found it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlachs

It isn't native Romanized people but actually immigrants from Romania who took with them their mothertongue, probably Bosnian is the Slavic language that borrowed more from them.

Maybe it's due to religious discrimination.
Muslims Bosnians didn't accept the presence of Catholic Croatians and stressed the religious difference.
Like a Croatian would call Muslims Bosnians Turks or Othmans instead of Muslim Bosnians.

morski
12-16-2011, 04:07 PM

All Catholics were called latini or franki by the Orthodox Slavs in medieval times.

Hurrem sultana
12-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Maybe it's due to religious discrimination.
Muslims Bosnians didn't accept the presence of Catholic Croatians and stressed the religious difference.
Like a Croatian would call Muslims Bosnians Turks or Othmans instead of Muslim Bosnians.

Probably

Guapo
12-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Good example would be Momčilo the Brow Krajišnik.

Right,and all Croatian wimminz have moustaches :rolleyes:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1285/hrvatica8so.jpg

MST3K
12-17-2011, 02:08 AM
It just sounds pleasing to the ear

Guapo
12-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Omfg, Serbian, Croatian and this frankenstien called "Bosnian" is all one language based on the eastern Herzegovinian(i.e. stokavsko-ijekavski) dialect for fuck sakes whether people like it or not.

Dombra
12-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Random slavovich :D

Wild North
12-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I can´t really hear any differences between Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian. And this is not really strange, because to them I´m an outsider.

All of these were used to be called Serbo-Croatian. However this is the past, but now we have Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian and even Montenegrin languages.. And what more? Herzegovinian? :p

gregorius
12-29-2012, 01:15 PM
sounds like italian or dutch

Gospodine
12-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Compared to Eastern Slavic languages, which have a melody, can express a larger range of emotions, this language almost sounds emotionless to my ears.

It's the other way around.

IllyricumSacrum
12-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Its sounds like my farts

Gospodine
12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Its sounds like my farts

So who's sock puppet are you? Dralos, Ushtari, Duskfall?

Guapo
12-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Dralos, Ushtari, Duskfall

all 3 are faggots living in foreign countries playing hardcore albo nationalists.

Meow
01-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Sounds like Serbian, I like all South Slav languages :)

Adrian
01-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I think Bosnian language has more melody than other Slavic languages.

From my experience, Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian languages are very similar to each other. While Slovenian, Bulgarian and language spoken in Macedonia differ a lot from the first three mentioned languages.

Midori
01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Bosnians have a cool accent.

Gospodine
01-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Imo this is the definitive male Bosniak accent:

gMbW4ZxuB1Y

ug5j8xH-iIA

rashka
01-07-2013, 03:24 AM
I think I know what Absinthe is talking about regarding the latin sound. She is probably hearing the Montenegrin accent from Herzeg Novi close to the border of Bosnia and which does sound a little different.

Absinthe
01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I think I know what Absinthe is talking about regarding the latin sound. She is probably hearing the Montenegrin accent from Herzeg Novi close to the border of Bosnia and which does sound a little different.
I think so too :)

Guapo
01-08-2013, 01:24 AM
I dont think Bosnian, Montenegrin or even "Macedonian"/Bulgarian has a Latin sound, I think the language in Serbia proper does, it's more melodic. Also, people there were influenced more by Romance speaking people, Romanians.

Aunt Hilda
01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
sounds like russian+polish+greek ;P

Twistedmind
01-08-2013, 01:46 AM
I dont think Bosnian, Montenegrin or even "Macedonian"/Bulgarian has a Latin sound, I think the language in Serbia proper does, it's more melodic. Also, people there were influenced more by Romance speaking people, Romanians.
Guapo Bosnian and Serbian is same thing
:picard1:
Unless inability to differentiate č and ć does not mean new language.

Drawing-slim
01-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Just another depressing boring slavic language.

poiuytrewq0987
01-08-2013, 02:07 AM
Omfg, Serbian, Croatian and this frankenstien called "Bosnian" is all one language based on the eastern Herzegovinian(i.e. stokavsko-ijekavski) dialect for fuck sakes whether people like it or not.

This. Just as Macedonian and Bulgarian are in essence the same language differed only in slight dialectical differences.

Roy
01-09-2013, 12:38 PM
By the way, how exactly standard Bosnian differ from Serbian/Croatian? Are there any significant differences or is it just self-made conception (similar situation to Romanian/Moldovan).

As for the sound of Bosnian - sounds like Croatian, a bit more flattened melodically.

Methmatician
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
By the way, how exactly standard Bosnian differ from Serbian/Croatian? Are there any significant differences or is it just self-made conception (similar situation to Romanian/Moldovan).

No significant difference. Some Bosniaks like to use words like Merhaba, Alahimanet, Sabah hajrula, Akšam hajrula, Selam, poselami (Turkish borrowings etc). Also, apparently, the use of 'h' is considered a difference in the Bosnian language eg. Promaja/Promaha, Lako/Lahko, Kafa/Kahva, etc.

Twistedmind
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
No significant difference. Some Bosniaks like to use words like Merhaba, Alahimanet, Sabah hajrula, Akšam hajrula, Selam, poselami (Turkish borrowings etc).
It is more religious thing.

Also, apparently, the use of 'h' is considered a difference in the Bosnian language eg. Promaja/Promaha, Lako/Lahko, Kafa/Kahva, etc.

And 90% of people do not use.

Jackson
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
As if someone mixed Spanish and Polish.

Vojnik
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Zvuci kao SRPSKO-HRVATSKI. (Serbo-Croatian)

The Ripper
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
It sounds like Serbian and Croatian.

Hurrem sultana
01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
It sounds like Serbian and Croatian.

does serbian sound like croatian and bosnian:eek::D

The Ripper
01-10-2013, 11:25 PM
does serbian sound like croatian and bosnian:eek::D

It doesn't work like that.

Hurrem sultana
01-10-2013, 11:29 PM
It doesn't work like that.

yes it does:picard1:

Twistedmind
01-11-2013, 09:18 AM
yes it does:picard1:
No. :p

Antimage
11-23-2014, 11:53 AM
to me it sounds slavic and nothing else. sounds the same as serbian and croatian

Nero
11-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Turkish

StormBringer
11-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Funny.
The substitution of č with ć downright annoys me.

Shkembe Chorba
11-23-2014, 01:39 PM
I miss Hurrem sultana.

Wild North
11-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Do Bosnians have problems understaning Croats/Serbs?

Leto
11-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Do Bosnians have problems understaning Croats/Serbs?
No. Scientifically speaking it is the same language with slight regional variations. But fanatic nationalists will start throwing stones at me and cursing me. I've been there before. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbo-Croatian

Voskos
11-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Bosnian sounds like Serbian to me

Wild North
11-24-2014, 01:25 AM
No. Scientifically speaking it is the same language with slight regional variations. But fanatic nationalists will start throwing stones at me and cursing me. I've been there before. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbo-Croatian

It used to be called Serbo-Croatian in "ancient times". Before 1990 there were just Yugoslavs. Now it seems almost heretical to say "Serbo-Croatian". It has been broken down to several "distinct" languages like; Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian and Montenegrin. What´s next, Voivodinian lol..

Leto
11-24-2014, 01:32 AM
It used to be called Serbo-Croatian in "ancient times". Before 1990 there were just Yugoslavs. Now it seems almost heretical to say "Serbo-Croatian". It has been broken down to several "distinct" languages like; Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian and Montenegrin. What´s next, Voivodinian lol..
But the thing is that all four literary varieties are based on the same dialect. Do you consider American and British varieties of English as separate languages? I don't think you do. Here the situation is pretty similar. Names of languages often have little or nothing to do with linguistics. It's politics.

ulosupen
11-28-2014, 05:27 PM
same as serbian

kkk77
11-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Slavic with some Italian accent.

I like the sound.

interes
01-25-2015, 09:08 AM
arabi turkic