PDA

View Full Version : She's not my wife, she's my sister!

Richmondbread
03-17-2024, 07:59 PM
Have you ever had the problem where you have to explain to people that your sister is not your wife? I guess it's unusual these days- but my sis and I do a lot of things together. We have dinner out and movie night, get groceries. She tells me what to buy usually and I do things for her. This does feel more like married couple, but we are just close that's all

For example, the other day at the grocery store, I wasn't wearing my glasses and went over to this blondish woman and her buggy and put something in it. Then I realized it wasn't mine and said "Oh, I'm sorry". She smiled and said "Wrong wife?" I was shopping with my sister and she thought she was my wife. No, she's just my sister. Why is it wrong for a brother and sister to do things together? Even in the South, people seem to frown upon that.
I think our culture has become very perverted.

Cybele
03-17-2024, 08:19 PM
Have you ever had the problem where you have to explain to people that your sister is not your wife? I guess it's unusual these days- but my sis and I do a lot of things together. We have dinner out and movie night, get groceries. She tells me what to buy usually and I do things for her. This does feel more like married couple, but we are just close that's all

For example, the other day at the grocery store, I wasn't wearing my glasses and went over to this blondish woman and her buggy and put something in it. Then I realized it wasn't mine and said "Oh, I'm sorry". She smiled and said "Wrong wife?" I was shopping with my sister and she thought she was my wife. No, she's just my sister. Why is it wrong for a brother and sister to do things together? Even in the South, people seem to frown upon that.

After a certain age, people expect one to be in a relationship or married. That is why, if your hanging out with your sister (especially if your facial features for example, aren't much alike with hers) most will assume she's your partner.

I don't look much like my older brother and some people don't realize we are siblings. But there has been only one instance where we've been asked if we are together. Some years ago, we were both walking to a park, outside of the town and on the edge of the road there was a prostitute. She looked at my brother and then asked if we are together xD.

Hektor12
03-17-2024, 08:33 PM
In Amerika when you see two people of different gender and similar age, %99.999999 they are a couple. And if youre from unfortunate %0.000001, sorry but nobody cares about you.

Radimir
03-17-2024, 08:45 PM
Is that the same sister who ran out of the house naked?

Hyena
03-18-2024, 06:37 PM

It could be much worse meade. Much worse. Imagine if you were out doing something with your brother and people assumed you were a couple.:rotfl:

Hyena
03-18-2024, 06:53 PM
Why is it wrong for a brother and sister to do things together? Even in the South, people seem to frown upon that.

I thought it was relatively common for brother and sister to get married in the South?

Hyena
03-18-2024, 06:53 PM

and why aren't there pics?

Richmondbread
03-20-2024, 12:55 AM
I thought it was relatively common for brother and sister to get married in the South?

No, that's your cousin!

tropicalslavic
03-20-2024, 01:01 AM
Not my brother but my dad. When my dad was still alive, I often accompanied him to appointments because his English was terrible. He always looked pretty young for his age, and he didn't look like my dad at first glance. He was definitely a couple of shades darker and many people's first impression would be that he was a different ethnicity (he was not - plus I feel like I took after him more than my mom). I had to cringe quite a few times at "we're ready for you, Mr. and Mrs. (last name)" or something similar. Bleh. Like I know they didn't know any better and weren't trying to gross me out, but it felt gross anyway.

I don't think it's wrong to be close to your sister as an adult, but I guess since most people assume you'll be married by your age, and most people grow apart from their siblings as they start their own families, it's a normal assumption to make.

Anglo-Celtic
03-20-2024, 02:16 AM

Wait! What?

Anglo-Celtic
03-20-2024, 02:23 AM
A similar thing took place when I was on vacation. Some strangers thought that my cousin was my girlfriend, even though I just turned 15 while she was 20! That never made sense to me because I looked 12 or 13 at the time. In fact, I was bummed out when my other cousin set me up on a date with a 13-year-old girl at the beach, so maybe the guys thought that my cousin was a young cougar (shrug).

BakersfieldChimp
03-20-2024, 02:26 AM

It could be worse. If a man is shopping with his wife and another customer asks if she is his sister.

Dick
03-20-2024, 02:28 AM
After a certain age, people expect one to be in a relationship or married. That is why, if your hanging out with your sister (especially if your facial features for example, aren't much alike with hers) most will assume she's your partner.

I don't look much like my older brother and some people don't realize we are siblings. But there has been only one instance where we've been asked if we are together. Some years ago, we were both walking to a park, outside of the town and on the edge of the road there was a prostitute. She looked at my brother and then asked if we are together xD.

I got that too with my sister in the past. We don't look alike at all.

Jansob
03-20-2024, 02:34 AM
You take these things too seriously. She was playing the odds that two people of your age shopping together were a married couple...most of the time she'd have been right.

Nothing wrong with it and no one is saying there's anything wrong with it. It's good that you and your sister are close and spend time together and help each other out. In the past it was perfectly normal for unmarried siblings to live together.

(Back when I was single, I met a woman at a post-conference reception and we really clicked intellectually. We spent the evening talking about all sorts of common interests. But there was no romantic spark. As I was leaving someone else said "if you're waiting for your wife, I think she's still inside." I guess we just seemed really comfortable with each other and weren't flirting...and to that woman it seemed obvious were were married.)

PlattitüdenPaule
03-20-2024, 03:01 AM
No sweat; had a similar experience a few weeks ago, but while at the chartering office for transports with my mom`s cousin (who`s 20 years older than me). Receptionist friendly and seriously asked where my "wife" and I were moving, lol.

Smaug
03-20-2024, 03:02 AM
I understand this must be a delicate subject in the American South.

NSXD60
03-20-2024, 03:52 AM
Does your sis have your singing genes?

Colonel Frank Grimes
03-20-2024, 03:59 AM
Richmondbred's adventures are wild.

Incal
03-20-2024, 04:14 AM
It happens if you don't look that much like your sister.

Petalpusher
03-20-2024, 04:27 AM
It was a thing a few times with my middle sister. Weirder is when people think your mom is your older sister and she gets hit on by random strangers.

Hyena
03-20-2024, 05:38 PM
When I was younger and still living with the folks, my dad was out of town a lot, so the neighborhood kids were only familiar with my mother and me.

One night, Mom and Dad attended a neighbor's New Year's Eve party, and were in a room where they were mostly socializing with a lot of people they didn't know. Late in the evening I showed up, and some of the neighbor's kids ran into the room where my folks were and shouted 'Mrs. XXXX - your husband is here!' The other adults thought 'Oh crap who is this other guy she's with and is there going to be a fight?'

So the kiddoes thought my mother and I were man and wife.

Richmondbread
03-20-2024, 11:45 PM
A similar thing took place when I was on vacation. Some strangers thought that my cousin was my girlfriend, even though I just turned 15 while she was 20! That never made sense to me because I looked 12 or 13 at the time. In fact, I was bummed out when my other cousin set me up on a date with a 13-year-old girl at the beach, so maybe the guys thought that my cousin was a young cougar (shrug).

that's nowhere near as bad. Your cousin could be your wife and there's nothing wrong with that.

Anglo-Celtic
03-21-2024, 03:22 AM
that's nowhere near as bad. Your cousin could be your wife and there's nothing wrong with that.

There *is* something wrong with that! Don't feed the bigots' caricatures and stereotypes, brother. That aside, I love the title of your thread. It sounds like a country song.

CordedWhelp
03-21-2024, 03:34 AM

First degree, even?

Anglo-Celtic
03-21-2024, 03:36 AM
First degree, even?

It could turn into a high school conversation. "If your cousin was a perfect 10,...."

Mortimer
03-21-2024, 04:44 AM
I agree with you Meade, its totally ok to do things with your sister, like grocery shopping.

Hyena
03-21-2024, 04:48 PM

That's still a little close to inbreeding for modern tastes. I would think avid participants in a forum that seems to constantly harp on genetics would understand the undesirability of mating with family members.

Do NOT marry your cousin!:picard1:

BakersfieldChimp
03-21-2024, 07:24 PM
That's still a little close to inbreeding for modern tastes. I would think avid participants in a forum that seems to constantly harp on genetics would understand the undesirability of mating with family members.

Do NOT marry your cousin!:picard1:

Unless she is carrying your child.

PlattitüdenPaule
03-21-2024, 07:27 PM

Oh noes, you didnt really say that now? :rotfl

protos
03-21-2024, 07:40 PM

Its ok to help out your sister. People are just freaks if they frown at you.

Hyena
03-21-2024, 09:40 PM
Unless she is carrying your child.

I do NOT want to read that meade's cousin is carrying his child. Don't wanna see that vee-lawg.

TheMaestro
03-21-2024, 10:17 PM
Who cares what people think Meade, if you truly like your sister, shes your family, hangout, spendtime with her, god bless.

Comealongwithme
03-21-2024, 10:30 PM
I do NOT want to read that meade's cousin is carrying his child. Don't wanna see that vee-lawg.

xD Hahaha oh yeah! That's a good callback. Richie doesn't say Vlog, he says Vee-lawg.

Labriego
03-21-2024, 11:18 PM
I have always been very close to my siblings, especially as a result of a serious illness I had a few years ago and from which I almost died. Whenever my siblings need me, I'm ready for them, but my sisters especially tend to ask me for help, whether to help them with their studies, accompany them shopping, etc. As a result of this, on several occasions they have taken us as a couple.

Curiously, my mother looks younger than she really is and when we go together they tend to take her as my older sister.