PDA

View Full Version : Would you agree that Danes and northern Germans don't look exactly the same?

Watersater79
03-25-2024, 07:44 PM
I don't think I am talking out of my ass here. Even those from Schleswig-Holstein look kinda different from those further up the Jutland Peninsula or, ofc, in the rest of Denmark's islands. On a somewhat separate note, the Danes also seem to have a (slightly) higher % of Borreby types than in northern Germany. Despite that, the Danes seem to look more similar to the Swedes (not discounting the fact that said group is, as a whole, largely Nordid) than their immediate southern neighbors.

Oliver109
03-25-2024, 07:53 PM
Danes have larger eyes and more robust and wide faces than Germans, i told you i used to work at a major airport and saw plenty of Scandinavian passengers, they didn't look that much like the German ones.

nittionia
03-25-2024, 07:55 PM
Danes look like southern Swedes

Roy
03-25-2024, 07:55 PM
They don't but I don't think that's a popular claim either.

Roy
03-25-2024, 07:56 PM

Yeah, more than Germans (including Northern Germans)

Richard Alvarez
03-25-2024, 08:04 PM
Dark hair is more common in Northern Germany than in Denmark.

Scarface F
03-25-2024, 08:09 PM
Yes, they don't look same. Danes are immigrants from Scandinavia (southern Sweden) mixed with west Germanic locals in Jutland.
south Swedes from Scania are same people as Danes.

Watersater79
03-25-2024, 08:13 PM
Danes have larger eyes and more robust and wide faces than Germans, i told you i used to work at a major airport and saw plenty of Scandinavian passengers, they didn't look that much like the German ones.

You aren't too sure, though, are you Oliver about what parts of Germany the tourists came from? The majority could have been from central or southern Germany, but even, the Danish girl I dated (my previous girlfriend) still would have looked atypical in Hamburg (which I visited in 2019). Granted, Hamburg is very cosmopolitan, but of the 'ethnic' German population there it is unlikely many would have come from afar. It's common knowledge as to how decentralised Germany is, with none of the urban centres resembling the sizes of Paris or London and all of them wielding a rather equal amount of productivity/wealth (ironically that excludes the rather 'poor' capital, Berlin). For that reason, one would imagine that Germans wouldn't move around much, not when there is a lack of economic necessity to. Most Hamburgers I met derived the vast majority of their ancestry from either said city or the immediate surrounding area. My cousin's wife is also a Hamburger; half of her family came from right up near the Danish border, but she still just looks 'German'.

Watersater79
03-25-2024, 08:15 PM
Yes, they don't look same. Danes are immigrants from Scandinavia (southern Sweden) mixed with west Germanic locals in Jutland.
south Swedes from Scania are same people as Danes.

I guess the Peninsula of Jutland is a bit more isolated from the rest of the northern German plain and isolation can undoubtedly cause genetic and phenotypical drift.

Richard Alvarez
03-25-2024, 08:15 PM
Danes are very blond (especially light blond) in a way Northern Germans are not.

Richard Alvarez
03-25-2024, 08:22 PM
Btw not all Northern Germans look the same. People from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern tend to have a bit more Slavic influence and are probably closer to Polish people than to the Danes and Dutch.

ecptr
03-25-2024, 08:36 PM

I can see the difference between Danes and Southern Swedes.

Oliver109
03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
Btw not all Northern Germans look the same. People from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern tend to have a bit more Slavic influence and are probably closer to Polish people than to the Danes and Dutch.

Nonsense, no Germans look very unslavic generally, i don't see Germans who look that Polish.

Scarface F
03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
I guess the Peninsula of Jutland is a bit more isolated from the rest of the northern German plain and isolation can undoubtedly cause genetic and phenotypical drift.

It wasn't isolated at all, but simply Danes came from Scandinavia and mixed with older north German like people.

Scarface F
03-25-2024, 08:48 PM

On average they are not. That region is very Germanic. Slavic looking north Germans come from Pomerania and east Prussia, and they have tons of Balto-Slavic DNA.

#Oda#
03-25-2024, 09:33 PM
Nonsense, no Germans look very unslavic generally, i don't see Germans who look that Polish.

I wouldn't say so.

Watersater79
03-26-2024, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't say so.

Would you say those in Schleswig-Holstein look any different to those in Niedersachsen? From my understanding, it's as if people start to look Danish the moment you cross over the border. I wonder if there is any phenotypical difference between those on the mainland and the islands; only around half of Denmark's population actually resides on the Jutland Peninsula with the remaining half residing on the country's 1,419 islands.

Oliver109
03-26-2024, 11:23 PM
Would you say those in Schleswig-Holstein look any different to those in Niedersachsen? From my understanding, it's as if people start to look Danish the moment you cross over the border. I wonder if there is any phenotypical difference between those on the mainland and the islands; only around half of Denmark's population actually resides on the Jutland Peninsula with the remaining half residing on the country's 1,419 islands.

Im surprised it's half, i thought Jutland was super rural

Watersater79
03-26-2024, 11:29 PM
Im surprised it's half, i thought Jutland was super rural

Approximately 3,000,000 reside on the people on the Jutland Peninsula and that's just in the Danish part.

Not a Cop
03-26-2024, 11:42 PM

Germany had a lot of internal migration, plus post-WWII refugees amounted for like 30% in Schleswig Holstein, so natives probably didn't look too different, but now you can see some difference.

Watersater79
03-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Germany had a lot of internal migration, plus post-WWII refugees amounted for like 30% in Schleswig Holstein, so natives probably didn't look too different, but now you can see some difference.

You mean you had ethnic Germans moving from Poland to said region after WWII. What is your source for this (concerning that 30% figure)? Not discounting your point in any way shape or form.

#Oda#
03-26-2024, 11:46 PM

I wasn't very often in Schleswig-Holstein, so my judgement can't be really good, but I'd say yes. They have more Slavic (Wendish) input than (indigenous) Lower Saxons, that get zero or close to zero Eastern components in common DNA tests, although the G25 results show small Slavic parts.

Watersater79
03-26-2024, 11:58 PM
I wasn't very often in Schleswig-Holstein, so my judgement can't be really good, but I'd say yes. They have more Slavic (Wendish) input than (indigenous) Lower Saxons, that get zero or close to zero Eastern components in common DNA tests, although the G25 results show small Slavic parts.
It is also interesting as to what you were saying earlier, about how the Dutch can be distinguished in terms of facial features from those in Lower Saxony, even though NW Germans and the Dutch bear a negligible genetic difference from each other. I feel that Manuel Neuer would look very atypical in the Netherlands for example, even though he is from North Rhine-Westphalia (although his ancestry could come from other parts of Germany as well).

Not a Cop
03-27-2024, 12:17 AM
You mean you had ethnic Germans moving from Poland to said region after WWII. What is your source for this (concerning that 30% figure)? Not discounting your point in any way shape or form.

Not only from Poland, but yes. https://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten.de/dwn/pics/cache_ef/ef3443-625aea688d93f-625aea6890304.PNG

I saw that map in a museum, I guess if you look this theme up more in detail you'll be able to get even more info.

Oliver109
03-27-2024, 12:22 AM

Denmark has different elements altogether from Germany though, faces in Germany have alpine, atlantid and dinaric influence everywhere, also atlantids etc while in Denmark people are overwhelmingly Borreby, Hallstatt, Strandid or faelid and tronder. some borders can be quite different when crossing i.e like the French and Flemish border where you see a notable difference.

Watersater79
03-27-2024, 12:22 AM
Not only from Poland, but yes. https://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten.de/dwn/pics/cache_ef/ef3443-625aea688d93f-625aea6890304.PNG

I saw that map in a museum, I guess if you look this theme up more in detail you'll be able to get even more info.

I do imagine though, that those communities in the Baltic would have originated in the Baltic parts of Germany, whilst those in Czechoslovakia (or further afield in Romania) would have originated in the south of the country. We all know that Germany is a very young country politically. It would surely be strange if a family of 'Swabian' descent was sent to Schleswig-Holstein, or vice versa.

Not a Cop
03-27-2024, 12:25 AM
I do imagine though, that those communities in the Baltic would have originated in the Baltic parts of Germany, whilst those in Czechoslovakia (or further afield in Romania) would have originated in the south of the country. We all know that Germany is a very young country politically. It would surely be strange if a family of 'Swabian' descent was sent to Schleswig-Holstein, or vice versa.
At that time they didn't really cared about where the people came from, the situation was very chaotic.

Not a Cop
03-27-2024, 12:26 AM
Denmark has different elements altogether from Germany though, faces in Germany have alpine, atlantid and dinaric influence everywhere, also atlantids etc while in Denmark people are overwhelmingly Borreby, Hallstatt, Strandid or faelid and tronder. some borders can be quite different when crossing i.e like the French and Flemish border where you see a notable difference.

Denmark actually has a sizeable number of Atlantids.

Oliver109
03-27-2024, 12:45 AM
Denmark actually has a sizeable number of Atlantids.

I would agree it is a decent number, what i would say though is that generally Danes are fairer, i used to work at an airport with a lot of Danish tourists and they often equalled the Brits and Irish in paleness, not as much the case with Germans.