PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Cooking For Christmas?

Marmie Dearest
12-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Since I am American, I do not have a singular nation I will recognize with my Christmas cooking, though it will all be either European or Anglo-American in tradition.

German

Christmas Eve Lebkuchen (Gingerbread)

English/Irish

Mince Pie with Rum Sauce on Christmas Day

Russian

Mushroom soup with sour cream on Christmas Eve

Irish

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green vegetables, and cranberries on Christmas Day (very similar to American fare)

Anglo-American/Southern U.S.

Sausage Balls (baked with cheddar and baking mix) as an appetizer on both days

Sweet Potato Casserole on Christmas Day

Apple Pie on Christmas Day

European-American

Egg Nog with Rum

Anyone care to share their Christmas menu, or point out that they are strictly following the food traditions of a singular nation? (Yes, I also realize that Eastern Orthodox Christmas is celebrated in January!)

Marmie Dearest
12-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Nobody cooks for Christmas? Really?

Turul
12-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Wow, that all sounds like a delicious buffet! :D

Most likely, I'll make some kind of warm lovely soup for Christmas. Maybe turkey soup, maybe chicken soup.

I don't exactly celebrate the holiday of Christmas in a religious sense, but I'm all for excuses to eat good food! (and desserts!) ;)

Arrow Cross
12-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Mr8glaM4ruM

Marmie Dearest
12-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Wow, that all sounds like a delicious buffet! :D

Most likely, I'll make some kind of warm lovely soup for Christmas. Maybe turkey soup, maybe chicken soup.

I don't exactly celebrate the holiday of Christmas in a religious sense, but I'm all for excuses to eat good food! (and desserts!) ;)

Well I have a lovely group of friends and family who will be sharing these two meals, and therefore can go all out with a variety of dishes. Actually, the apple pie was upon request, because some people don't care for mincemeat.

I love being able to prepare such a nice large meal and it's always fun for me to be able to observe cultural traditions.

askra
12-17-2011, 01:50 AM
"what are they cooking for me for Christimas?" :D

i have no idea!

Damiăo de Góis
12-17-2011, 01:53 AM
In Portugal the tradition is to eat codfish on christmas eve. Something like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bKAv7mkcWTg/TRKjfhFbs2I/AAAAAAAAAKI/a1mCK_2L-9s/s1600/BacalhauCozidoPratoDeNatal.jpg

Absinthe
12-17-2011, 08:18 AM
I won't cook, because I'll be working full time and I won't be the hostess of anything myself.
However, hopefully there'll be a Christmas table at my father's house, and usually that includes stuffed turkey, cabbage+carrot salad, platter of cheeses, nice red wine, and Christmas cake in the end... :love:

Absinthe
12-17-2011, 08:20 AM
(Yes, I also realize that Eastern Orthodox Christmas is celebrated in January!)

What? :confused: It's not! :p December 25 as the rest of the world :p

It's the Orthodox Easter that deviates from the Catholic one ;)

Marmie Dearest
12-17-2011, 08:42 AM
What? :confused: It's not! :p December 25 as the rest of the world :p

It's the Orthodox Easter that deviates from the Catholic one ;)

January 7 is Russian Orthodox Christmas, I can most definitely assure you.

Some other Eastern Orthodox people do, as well. I should not speak for all Orthodox Christians, of course, as people who follow the new calendar may go to December 25 like the Western world.

Marmie Dearest
12-17-2011, 08:45 AM
P.S. I found this out two years ago when I said to a Russian guy I liked, "S Rozhdestvom Kristovym" because I was trying to be cute.

He said, "You're two weeks early!"

rhiannon
12-17-2011, 08:49 AM
In Portugal the tradition is to eat codfish on christmas eve. Something like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bKAv7mkcWTg/TRKjfhFbs2I/AAAAAAAAAKI/a1mCK_2L-9s/s1600/BacalhauCozidoPratoDeNatal.jpg

Now THAT looks pretty good....much better than a turkey or ham:)

SaxonCeorl
12-18-2011, 10:46 PM
We always have lasagna for Christmas. I have no idea why, as we're not Italian.

billErobreren
12-18-2011, 11:41 PM
aw shit! It's that time of the year:( Well since I wont be hosting anything. I'll be pigging out by myself...I usually eat leftovers from Christmas eve.

let's see

rice porridge(although I'm supposed to have that 2 days prior...whatever), potatoes of course(dunno whether I should mash them or just boil them, I dunno know how to make brown potatoes though), pickles, egg nog(made with bourbon), stewed red cabbage(gonna have to pay special attention to that 'cause it can go to shit very easily), Sicilian veggie soup, parsley sauce & maybe tofu....uh...I miss having duck:(, you know what? fuck it:mad:. I'll steal a duck from a local farmer, I'll kill it my damn self:sad:

Logan
12-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Cooking? You mean the microwave. :)

Marmie Dearest
12-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Cooking? You mean the microwave. :)

Nope that's not what I mean at all! :rolleyes:

I love to cook, wanted to know other people's traditions and recipes.

You can use the microwave on any old boring day...:p

Logan
12-19-2011, 12:05 AM

I knew. :) I do not cook. I do always purchase a plum pudding. :)

rhiannon
12-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Appetizer: To be determined still:)

Entree: Linguini with fresh tomatoes, asparagus, and bay scallops
Fresh Caesar salad
Italian crusty bread with butter

Dessert: Banana Pudding or Eclair Cake

Bevs: Martinelli's Sparkling Cider

rhiannon
12-19-2011, 09:22 AM

My traditions are to NOT follow the *typical* traditions for holiday fare....largely because I hate the traditional fare and have ever since I was a child:)

Sooo....holiday dinner is always different every year:)

Occident
12-19-2011, 09:33 AM
English/Irish

Mince Pie with Rum Sauce on Christmas Day

Irish

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green vegetables, and cranberries on Christmas Day (very similar to American fare)

That second is a British christmas dinner (except we dont neccesarily have Turkey), while Mince Pie is an English creation in no way a tradition of Ireland.

Marmie Dearest
12-19-2011, 09:43 AM
My traditions are to NOT follow the *typical* traditions for holiday fare....largely because I hate the traditional fare and have ever since I was a child:)

Sooo....holiday dinner is always different every year:)

I like traditions, but I am also always trying new recipes, and even incorporating traditions from other European cultures (like the Russian mushroom soup this year).

I find culture and cooking very interesting, but a big part of what I love about Christmas is the holiday fun of enjoying special treats like the mince pie with rum sauce, and making a big turkey with oyster dressing to share with family and/or friends. The holidays give me a cozy feeling that remind me of my childhood, and I like how people come together in companionship.