PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider Cypriots to be European?

Sikeliot
12-16-2011, 03:28 AM
Discuss.

Logan
12-16-2011, 03:39 AM
Third option.

http://www.freewebs.com/enclaves/Cyprus%20Map.jpg

Hess
12-16-2011, 04:17 AM
yes, I consider them infinitely more European than Muslim Balkanites and Colonials.

GeistFaust
12-16-2011, 04:23 AM
yes, I consider them infinitely more European than Muslim Balkanites and Colonials.

I don't know if you can say this. It depends on how we are defining Indo-European in a larger spectrum. If we speak of Colonial peoples they were largely of Indo-European background, some culture remnants remained although they might be a bit corrupted, and the language they speak is an Indo-European one.

Muslim Balkanites might have accepted a religious tradition that is more Eastern and this will affect their mode of culture to some extent or another. That said they are largely of Indo-European background genetically, culturally, and linguistically.

As for the Cypriots its pretty easy to determine that Greek Cypriots are Indo-European while Turkish Cypriots are not. Now the Cypriots of Greeks could have some slight Semitic input but overall they fit more into the Indo-European spectrum of things.

Logan
12-16-2011, 04:29 AM

They don't seem to belong together. Some of the latter do, and some do not.

Hess
12-16-2011, 04:34 AM
Muslim Balkanites might have accepted a religious tradition that is more Eastern and this will affect their mode of culture to some extent or another. That said they are largely of Indo-European background genetically, culturally, and linguistically

This is a point of much debate both on this forum and in real life. I tend to take the position that their Islamic faith ultimately outweighs their genetics and Indo-European heritage (especially in the case of the Albanians).

GeistFaust
12-16-2011, 04:42 AM
This is a point of much debate both on this forum and in real life. I tend to take the position that their Islamic faith ultimately outweighs their genetics and Indo-European heritage (especially in the case of the Albanians).

It could perhaps but what about the Albanians that are Orthodox Christians should we not take them into consideration as well. I do think that they should be exempt from the list. But Islam tends to be just as bad at attempting to undermine the European identity as the Jews have been.

Odoacer
12-16-2011, 05:09 AM

Infinitely? You talk about this vague monolithic European mindset which somehow drastically separates us "colonials" from real Europeans. Have you ever provided a thorough definition of it?

So the culture of the Greek Cypriots outweighs their rather mixed genetic heritage & extra-European geography, in your view.

To answer the question of the thread, I suppose I find them to be essentially in the same boat as Georgians & Armenians - peripheral, though in the case of Greek Cypriots the historical & cultural links to Europe are perhaps stronger.

Hess
12-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Infinitely? You talk about this vague monolithic European mindset which somehow drastically separates us "colonials" from real Europeans. Have you ever provided a thorough definition of it?

It's a combination of many factors- the way we talk, act, think, etc. that ultimately separates colonials from Europeans. Though Europeans are far from monolithic in terms of culture themselves, there still seems to be a subtle but still present link that we share that is absent in Colonials. I suppose it would come from thousands of years of shared history. Even countries on other ends of the continent like Britain and Russia have historically had dealings with each other.

Äike
12-16-2011, 11:34 AM
They look like Middle-Easterners, but I consider them to be European because of historical reasons. I have been to Cyprus.

Stars Down To Earth
12-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Nope, I don't consider them European. I'd put them in the same boat as Armenians and Christian Lebanese.

"Greek Cypriot" is a political marker, not an ethnic one. Some of them are basically mestizos and darker than Turks. On average, they're of the same racial stock as their Lebanese neighbours.

Rron
12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
How and why especially in case of Albanians , care to explain please. I think its debated a hundred times here from what i read ,if you cant or if you dont want to understand its your problem.

Hess
12-16-2011, 04:13 PM
How and why especially in case of Albanians , care to explain please. I think its debated a hundred times here from what i read ,if you cant or if you dont want to understand its your problem.

there are hundreds of threads for this topic already, lets not spoil this one mate

Hurrem sultana
12-16-2011, 04:25 PM

majority of bosnians look more european than you hess ;) you could fit in cyprus

billErobreren
12-16-2011, 04:32 PM
this should end well:ohwell: third option I guess

Hess
12-16-2011, 04:33 PM
majority of bosnians look more european than you hess ;) you could fit in cyprus

-It doesn't work like that, there is no "more" or "less" European. A dark, hairy Greek is just as European as a platinum blonde, paper skinned Swede.

-No, I can't. I've actually been to Cyprus (unlike many of the people here) and people could tell I was a tourist. But IF I could fit in Cyprus, I would be proud of it because Cyprus is a European nation :)

StonyArabia
12-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Not really, they look very Levantine but culturally they are, racially they are mixture of Greek and Levantine blood and are genetically kin of the Jews, Syrians and especially the Lebanese.

askra
12-16-2011, 04:43 PM
they are europeans from a cultural, political and historical point of view, but cyprus is located geographically in the middle east, and Cypriots are genetically closer to Middle-Easterns than Europeans.

Der Steinadler
12-16-2011, 05:06 PM
i consider them to be what they are.... Greeks.

:coffee:

Treffie
12-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Cypriots come in all types, but they're definitely mainly east Med types

http://static.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fatima-whitbread.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Tracey_Emin_1-cropped.jpg

http://www.pestaola.gr/img/ada_nicodemou_01.jpg

http://images.supersport.com/MarcosBaghdatis110122TowelG300.jpg

Rron
12-16-2011, 05:40 PM
-It doesn't work like that, there is no "more" or "less" European. A dark, hairy Greek is just as European as a platinum blonde, paper skinned Swede.
So you are in contradicts with yourself in one hand for you there is no more or less European while afterwards you say Albanians and Bosnians are ''less''.

Odoacer
12-16-2011, 06:22 PM
It's a combination of many factors- the way we talk, act, think, etc. that ultimately separates colonials from Europeans. Though Europeans are far from monolithic in terms of culture themselves, there still seems to be a subtle but still present link that we share that is absent in Colonials. I suppose it would come from thousands of years of shared history. Even countries on other ends of the continent like Britain and Russia have historically had dealings with each other.

My country's entire history has been intertwined with that of Europe. The religious, political, cultural, & genetic heritage of white Americans is from Europe. I think you're prejudicially minimizing differences within Europe to exclude colonials.

Be that as it may, this probably isn't the thread to go much further into whether colonials are "European," so I'm going to leave it at that. :P

Hess
12-16-2011, 09:45 PM
So you are in contradicts with yourself in one hand for you there is no more or less European while afterwards you say Albanians and Bosnians are ''less''.

no, I am not saying Muslims Albanians and Bosniaks are "less". I am saying they are not European at all.

But like i said, there are hundreds of appropriate threads where you can talk about how European you are to your heart's content, such as this

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35820

Hurrem sultana
12-16-2011, 09:56 PM
no, I am not saying Muslims Albanians and Bosniaks are "less". I am saying they are not European at all.

Bosniaks call themselves just Bosnian...you dont hear "bosniak" on the street ;)

Padre Organtino
12-23-2011, 04:38 AM
i consider them to be what they are.... Greeks.

:coffee:

They are actually not that much alike each other.

Absinthe
12-23-2011, 07:49 AM
They are actually not that much alike each other.
We aren't alike in many ways.

Flintlocke
12-23-2011, 07:55 AM
We aren't alike in many ways.

True, they are richer :p

Absinthe
12-23-2011, 08:14 AM
True, they are richer :p
That is among the differences, yes.

My dad has been doing business in Cyprus for the last few years.

One thing he's told me, among other things, is that visiting Cyprus is like time travelling to Greece in the early 90s or so.

You know, that false sense of prosperity and plenitude, big spending and wealth flaunting, hard partying and all that jazz...
And also the naivite of thinking that belonging to the Western block ensures your safety and well being and protects you from the enemies.
Just a big LOL there.

Treffie
12-23-2011, 09:02 AM

it's funny how religion can suddenly make Europeans non-European. Bosniaks are Islamified Europeans.

Daniele90
06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Culturally they're Europeans, but Turkish Cypriots are not; that's enough for me to tell they are Europeans..

Maximum Speed
06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Greek Cypriots yes, Turkish Cypriots no.

Smeagol
06-10-2013, 05:32 AM
Greek Cypriots are European.

Midori
07-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Not really, mainly because half of the island belongs to Turkey.

brennus dux gallorum
01-31-2018, 09:57 PM
Greeks of cyprus, for obvious reasons

Teucer
01-31-2018, 10:15 PM
In terms of culture, undeniably.

brennus dux gallorum
01-31-2018, 10:18 PM
In terms of culture, undeniably.

And mentality, i would say race too, for those who do not set idiotic boundaries in particular percentages

jackrussell
01-31-2018, 10:31 PM
I consider most of them to be utter and total wankers .

Only met few who weren't jerks .

:D

Teucer
02-01-2018, 05:16 AM
And mentality, i would say race too, for those who do not set idiotic boundaries in particular percentages

Those are trickier which is why i avoided them. People have different standards.

Decius
02-01-2018, 05:18 AM
Partially.

Bobby Martnen
02-01-2018, 07:23 AM
Greek Cypriots yes, Turkish "Cypriots" no.

I don't consider any types of Turks to be European.

Yaglakar
02-01-2018, 07:45 AM
If you reject Cypriots, they will take the title of best cheese in the world (Halloumi) with them elsewhere.

Maintenance
02-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Third option

meisje
02-01-2018, 08:11 AM
Levantines

Kross
05-09-2021, 03:49 AM
Greek Cypriots yes, Turkish "Cypriots" no.

I don't consider any types of Turks to be European.

This.

Marshall Theodore
03-28-2023, 05:47 PM
Calling Cypriots "europeans" or "whites" its like saying mestizos are Spaniards because they're half Spaniards.

Triller
03-28-2023, 10:02 PM
Well, actually you have to differ between Cyprus and Northern Cyprus. I consider Cypriots to be European, but I'd never consider Northern Cypriots to be European.

Tsuin
03-29-2023, 04:51 PM
Only greek cypriots