PDA

View Full Version : Your Clan?

TheBorrebyViking
12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Clan Angus, Sept of Clan MacInnes.

My Parents both can fit in the Isle, but alas I always get told I look more Danish. I like looking more Danish though.

Ushtari
12-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Sopi clan here

TheBorrebyViking
12-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Sopi clan here

Turkish durka durka?

Corraidh
02-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Clann Donald (MacDonalds of Sleat)

Grumpy Cat
02-17-2012, 08:56 PM
^^ :lol: I do have some Scottish in me, clan Campbell of Argyll.

(Please don't kill me)

Corraidh
02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
^^ :lol: I do have some Scottish in me, clan Campbell of Argyll.

(Please don't kill me)
Our rivals.:shakefist:icon_lol:

PetiteParisienne
02-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Not Scottish myself, but I married a Stuart. <3

Graham
02-17-2012, 09:17 PM

There was so many clan battles and grudges lol, like....

Massacre Cave, Eigg
During the sixteenth century there was a lengthy feud between the MacLeod and MacDonald clans, which led to the massacre of the island's entire population in the late 16th century. In 1566 a party of MacLeods staying on the island became too amorous and caused trouble with the local girls. They were subsequently rounded up, bound and cast adrift in The Minch but were rescued by some clansmen. In 1577 a party of MacLeods from Skye landed on Eigg with revenge in mind.

On their return, in the spring, deep snow covered the ground but their arrival had already been spotted by the islanders who had hidden in a secret cave called the Cave of Frances (Scottish Gaelic: Uamh Fhraing) located on the south coast. The entrance to this cave was tiny and covered by moss, undergrowth and a small waterfall. After a thorough but fruitless search lasting for three to five days, the MacLeods set sail again but a MacDonald carelessly climbed onto a promontory to watch their departure and was spotted. The MacLeods returned and were able to follow his footprints back to the cave. They then rerouted the source of the water, piled thatch and roof timbers at the cave entrance and set fire to it at the same time damping the flames so that the cave was filled with smoke thereby asphyxiating everyone inside either by smoke inhalation or heat and oxygen deprivation. Three hundred and ninety five people died in the cave, the whole population of the island bar one family who managed to escape.

Going by my surname, it would be a borders clan, Little and mum's side clan Farquharson who were also in the old Chattan Confederation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattan_Confederation

Beorn
02-17-2012, 09:27 PM
^ Not Scottish myself, thankfully; although I seem to attract a lot of relatives with lineages going that way north, but my surname is/was a sept of the Macphersons who were also of the Chattan Confederation.

dralos
02-17-2012, 09:28 PM
kelmendi tribe,consists of whole republic of kosova,south montenegro and northalbania

Anthropologique
02-17-2012, 09:28 PM
My wife is from the Strachan clan - Perthshire region.

Flintlocke
02-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Best family of the best branch of the southern Leka clan ;)

Comte Arnau
02-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Half Laketan, half Cossetan clans.

poiuytrewq0987
02-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I don't think we ever had a clan system but perhaps some other Bulgarian expert like Morski can chime in on this.

Graham
02-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Clan Farquharson:
Associated family names (Septs): Barrie, Bowman, Christie, Christison, Christy, Coates, Coats, Coutts, Cromar, Farquhar, Ferries, Findlay, Findlayson, Finlaison, Finlay, Finlayson, Gracie, Grassick, Greusach, Hardie, Hardy, Kellas, Kerracher, Lyon, Macartney, MacCaig, MacCardney, MacCartney, MacCuaig, MacEaracher, MacErchar, MacErracher, MacFarquhar, MacHardie, MacHardy, Mackerchar, MacKerracher, MacKindlay, MacKinlay, MacKinley, Paterson, Reiach, Reoch, Riach.

Other names in the former clan. Great gran was a Coutts also, mum Finlay. What a team! :p

In a raggedy Castle, Braemar Castle, historic seat of the Farquharson Clan.

http://www.royal-deeside.org.uk/assets/images/braemarcastle.jpg

Treffie
02-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Probably Silurian, Demetae, Cornovii, Belgae etc

Grumpy Cat
02-18-2012, 03:00 AM

Yeah but I don't have much Scottish. It's way back. So I'm cool. I know the Campbells opressed the MacDonalds.

Corraidh
02-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Yeah but I don't have much Scottish. It's way back. So I'm cool. I know the Campbells opressed the MacDonalds.
Aka they kicked our asses. Our winning record against them is pretty horrible. Though I beat up a Campbell in a bar fight a few years ago so you can chalk that one up for the MacDonalds.:laugh:

By the way, I love the Acadian people. My step-great grandfather was a Mombourquette. He was an incredible man. Very kind and very artistic.

Neanderthal
02-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Mclovin.

Argyll
02-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Aka they kicked our asses. Our winning record against them is pretty horrible. Though I beat up a Campbell in a bar fight a few years ago so you can chalk that one up for the MacDonalds.:laugh:

By the way, I love the Acadian people. My step-great grandfather was a Mombourquette. He was an incredible man. Very kind and very artistic.

Yer damn right we kicked yer arses! :mad: :P

Himera
02-19-2012, 12:15 AM
kelmendi tribe,consists of whole republic of kosova,south montenegro and northalbania

:mmmm: you confused me now, you get into my self -judging afillation ...

Óttar
02-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Munro and Muir. I think there's a Gordon in there too.

morski
02-20-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't think we ever had a clan system but perhaps some other Bulgarian expert like Morski can chime in on this.

The Proto-Bulgarians had such thing. The Bulgarian Slavs probably did too. But we've been civilized imperial people since Simeon the Great (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_I_of_Bulgaria).:cool:

Ánleifr
02-20-2012, 08:18 PM
why do the Scottish have clans but the English, Welch and Irish do not? Are the clans from the Picts?

Stars Down To Earth
02-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Distantly related to Clan Lindsay. Other than that, none that I know about.

why do the Scottish have clans but the English, Welch and Irish do not? Are the clans from the Picts?
The modern-day Scottish clans aren't really from the Picts - there are clans of Gaelic, Anglo-Saxon, Norman and even Norse origin. The original clans were simply families with enough power to rule a land area, so their surnames became clan names (basically, it was similar to the Norse system, where the landowner's kin had an organic link with his land after owning it for several generations. It's an old Indo-European thing). The term comes from the Gaelic word "clann", meaning descendants.

Kanuni
02-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Same as Ushtari Sopi clan.

Ushtari
02-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Same as Ushtari Sopi clan.
you wish:rolleyes2:

Artek
02-20-2012, 08:29 PM
McPolack

Kanuni
02-20-2012, 08:31 PM
you wish:rolleyes2:

:thumb001:

Vukodav
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Vasojević clan, the largest serbian clan in Montenegro. One of the 7 Highland clans.

Argyll
02-20-2012, 08:36 PM

The 'clann', as it is in Gaelic, is a Gaelic cultural thing. Even though the Welsh and other Celtic folks in the British Isles, they just don't have that due to it being a Gaelic thing. Most clans come from ancient Celtic patrons, such as my Campbell clan, though there are some that come from a single Norse or Anglo-Saxon one, such as the McLeod clan (though such places that these clans come from have been proven to contain hardly any Germanic DNA ;) :thumbs up)

Scrapple
02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Clan Cameron

So if anyone from Clan Macintosh is here. :aufsmaul_2: :p :D

Upon the 20th of September 1665, Lochiel having crossed the water of Arkaig, Macintosh and he met (24 men on each side) upon the lands of Clunes, and having drunk together in a friendly manner, in a token of perfect reconciliation, exchanged swords, and so departed, having in all probability at that time, taken away the old feud which, with great hatred and cruelty, continued betwixt their forebearers for the space of 360 years." Thus ended the great feud between the two clans; the bloodiest feud ever known in the Highlands; a feud which had raged almost continuously for 360 years! The agreement was signed on the 20th September, 1665. It was said that no Cameron had ever shaken a Macintosh hand till that day.

Argyll
02-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Clan Cameron

So if anyone from Clan Macintosh is here. :aufsmaul_2: :p

The squabbles between those two clans don't compare to the violence between the Campbells and the MacDonalds :P

Scrapple
02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
The squabbles between those two clans don't compare to the violence between the Campbells and the MacDonalds :P

I added to my post more info. :p

Graham
02-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Probably just a very old system from the Picts, broken down and modified by the Gaels/Norse/Normans etc.. throughout our history.

There could have been a clan system in Ireland also, not sure :confused:. I'm sure the Irish would know better.

European Loyalist
02-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Clan Hamilton on my father's side. My mother's side is from the lowlands as well but all we know is that they come from the Edinburgh region.

Argyll
02-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Clan Hamilton on my father's side. My mother's side is from the lowlands as well but all we know is that they come from the Edinburgh region.

Hi fellow clansman :)

Bardamu
02-20-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a bit of clan Crowley.

Stonewall Jackson
02-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Clan O'Neill

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/_internal/gxml!0/m6s6aicjogoampxnh1a9dzzq7k4g1nn$dvar43zqbkiwx0ddis s7j6xxai8nai4

dralos
02-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Clan O'Neill

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/_internal/gxml!0/m6s6aicjogoampxnh1a9dzzq7k4g1nn$dvar43zqbkiwx0ddis s7j6xxai8nai4
i have some merchandise from your clan,good stuff:thumb001:

Magyar the Conqueror
02-20-2012, 10:53 PM
The Atilla Horse Warrior clan.

dralos
02-20-2012, 10:54 PM
The Atilla Horse Warrior clan.
this isn't a clan,look at mine that's a brave clan,long live the kelmendi who know how to treat the slavs and still do:D

Argyll
02-20-2012, 11:23 PM
This thread is supposed to be about Scottish clans :rolleyes:

dralos
02-20-2012, 11:25 PM
you should have put on the title what's your scottish clan:D

Scrapple
02-20-2012, 11:30 PM

Then you should have put it in the Scotland section. :p

Argyll
02-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Then you should have put it in the Scotland section. :p

'Tis nae my thread.

Stonewall Jackson
02-21-2012, 01:40 AM
i have some merchandise from your clan,good stuff:thumb001:

LOL, yea we're the surfers clan....dude.

пустиняк
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Rashkovi Clan from Bulgaria

Here is the chief

http://www.novini.bg/uploads/news_pictures/2011-38/big/kiril-rashkov-ostavame-24630.jpg

Argyll
02-21-2012, 05:30 PM

пустиняк
02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Rashkovi are Scots. Kiril Rashkov is typical Keltic Nordic.

Argyll
02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I really hope you are not being serious.

пустиняк
02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I really hope you are not being serious.

yeah sorry for off topic

Kanuni
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Thaqi clan

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50266_278858554849_3419509_n.jpg

Argyll
02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
I give up.

Tarja
02-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Stewart and Macpherson.

StonyArabia
02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
The Alans, Kipchaks and Shaspug paternally speaking. Maternally speaking it's an Arabian tribe.

Albion
02-24-2012, 07:53 AM

Because we're normal. ;)

Clans group up in regions where authority of the central government was weak. England has always been centralised with the most lawless regions being the marches with Scotland where the reiver (raider) families (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Reivers) lived. They chose whichever side suited them in conflicts and mostly had their origins in the Angles and the Celts that joined them.

Nglund
02-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Because we're normal. ;)

Clans group up in regions where authority of the central government was weak. England has always been centralised with the most lawless regions being the marches with Scotland where the reiver (raider) families (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Reivers) lived. They chose whichever side suited them in conflicts and mostly had their origins in the Angles and the Celts that joined them.

You said it all. I even found my clan (http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/Border%20Families/Surnames/Thompson.htm) in your link. :p

Graham
02-24-2012, 08:31 AM
You said it all. I even found my clan (http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/Border%20Families/Surnames/Thompson.htm) in your link. :p

Damn blasted ancestors!!

In Bell’s Manuscript, preserved in the Carlisle Cathedral Library, there is a list of the chiefs and their men who surrendered. The list contains some 304 Beatties, Littles and Thomsons ---all had served the English - some above a year, some more than three years. The peace arranged in 1551 provided that the West Marche debatable land between the Esk and Sark would belong to neither kingdom.

On April 6th 1569 and bond was signed at Kelso to show support for the young King during the civil war between Queen Mary, her third husband, Bothwell, and the Protestant party under Regent for the infant king, referencing “the barons, landit men and gentlemen, inhabitants of Sheriffdom of Berwick Roxburgh, Selkirk, and Peebles.” The forsigned professed themselves specially enemies to all persons named Armstrong, Elliot, Nickson, Little, Beattie, Thomson, Irving, Bell, Johnstone, Glendinning, Routlege, Henderson and Scott of Ewisdale – in fact, of those families who had fought on the side of the Queen at Langholm.

A 1594 Act of the Scottish parliament for the “punishment of theft, robbery, oppression and sorning” cited a “great number of wicked thieves, oppressors and peace-breakers of the surnames of …..Bells, Carlisles, Beatsons, Littles, Thomsons, Johnstons, et al. (remainder omitted for brevity).”

CordedWhelp
10-28-2013, 05:20 AM
The Irish do too have clans.

Surname of mine is a sept of the Eoghanachta, Irish kings of Munster kingdom.

Anglojew
10-28-2013, 06:22 AM
Judah (Benjamin), Angle, Jute, Saxon.

StonyArabia
10-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Judah (Benjamin), Angle, Jute, Saxon.

Basically Germano-Semite

Aurora
10-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Clan MacTavish an Ancient Highland Scottish clan.

Prisoner Of Ice
10-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Clan Caol Ila and Clan Balvenie, if you know what I mean.

Actually for paternal grandmother think it's Mac Leod. See there's some Mac Donalds :lol:

Kazimiera
10-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Clan Coal Isla and Clan Balvenie, if you know what I mean.

Actually for paternal grandmother think it's Mac Leod. See there's some Mac Donalds :lol:

You mean Caol Ila :)

Let me guess, you're too pissed on it right now to care about spelling. ;)

Prisoner Of Ice
10-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Yeah, that's my favorite though I have not had it in ages. I will get it for myself for christmas maybe.

Proctor
10-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Macdonald of clan Donald.

Anglojew
10-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Macdonald of clan Donald.

Do you hate Campbells?

Windischer
10-28-2013, 10:19 AM
we have overcome tribal system a millenium ago.

-spits on backward barbarians-

Hercus Monte
10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm member of the Gozdawa clan. we're spread all over the former Polish-lithuanian commonwealth and a few are in Italy, france.

Jana
03-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Surname is presumably from Kuchi clan in Montenegro. Was very suprised to read that ;)

Seraph of the End
03-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Surname is presumably from Kuchi clan in Montenegro. Was very suprised to read that ;)

Same here. Although my father's family says their ancestors did come from Montenegro, it's kind of hard to believe in the Kuchi theory. I read about it in the book "Bratstvo [my surname inserted]". I, too, was surprised to read it :p

Marusya
03-25-2015, 05:30 AM
:) Maternal side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Boyd

Jana
03-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Same here. Although my father's family says their ancestors did come from Montenegro, it's kind of hard to believe in the Kuchi theory. I read about it in the book "Bratstvo [my surname inserted]". I, too, was surprised to read it :p

Question is, who are Kuchi? I've read there are both Albanians and Serbs, but do not really know anything about them. I ask because my surname is one of Catholic branch, and there is almost identical one withe added ''j'' which is assigned to orthodox branch. Very confusing, just found out about this (ancient) connection recently, because my surname is considered purely Croatian. They came to CRO fleeing the Turks in middle ages, though. Maybe :D

Grace O'Malley
03-26-2015, 02:06 AM

This person is no longer active here but clan is actually from Old Irish Cland and means offshoot of a plant, offspring and family and developed to the word clan. In Ireland up to the 17th Century Gaelic Ireland was organised by clans or Septs. It's more a Gaelic thing than just purely Scottish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_clans

Skerdilaid
03-26-2015, 02:16 AM
Helshan, which is a branch of the Thaçi Clan

alb0zfinest
03-26-2015, 02:23 AM
Kelmendi- teh re3l ubermensch.

McCauley
03-26-2015, 02:28 AM
This person is no longer active here but clan is actually from Old Irish Cland and means offshoot of a plant, offspring and family and developed to the word clan. In Ireland up to the 17th Century Gaelic Ireland was organised by clans or Septs. It's more a Gaelic thing than just purely Scottish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_clans

Scotland is just more known for it because "tribalism", or whatever you want to call it, lasted a bit longer there. In Ireland I would say it's death knell was during King James's era, and it was totally eradicated by the time of Cromwell's conquest. In Scotland it ended in 1746, a little over a century later. This is probably why clan associations persist more there.

Wadaad
03-26-2015, 02:36 AM
Tribe: Isaaq/Ishaak Somali
Macro-clan: Habr Awal
Clan: Sacad Muuse

Habr Awal historical territory (in red):

http://i.imgur.com/oa9v8RU.jpg

Grace O'Malley
03-26-2015, 03:18 AM
Using ydna we are traced back to Cenél nEóġain "kindred" or descendants of Eógan mac Néill, son of Niall Noígiallach who founded the kingdom of Tír Eoghain in the 5th century. This is by using ydna. He was a son of Niall of the Nine Hostages. Tír Eoghain comprises much of what is now County Tyrone, as well as parts of counties Derry, Donegal, Fermanagh, Monaghan and Armagh. My father was from North Roscommon but this connection is by genetic testing of ydna.

Illancha
03-26-2015, 03:23 AM
Benoy

This is our mountain ridge Benoyduk

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/69854868.jpg
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/63644294.jpg

Dylan
03-26-2015, 03:27 AM
Clan Campbell

Shah-Jehan
03-26-2015, 03:30 AM
Not really tribal at all, more so caste-like (actually even caste has been abandoned since ancestors' conversion to Islam) but, my maternal family are all Dakshin Kulin brahmins.

They carried surname Roy Chowdhury

Grace O'Malley
03-26-2015, 03:36 AM
The word clan is, from the etymological point of view, the same word as plant. Such a statement may at first appear unlikely to English speakers, since the two words begin with very different consonants. But to the speakers of the Celtic language of Ireland in the 400s, known as Old Irish, c and p sounded quite similar. When St. Patrick converted Ireland to Christianity in the 5th century, the Old Irish language had no consonant p. After their conversion, the Irish began to borrow many words from Latin, and when the speakers of early Old Irish tried to pronounce the sound p in Latin words, the best they could manage was a (kw) or (k) sound, spelled c in Old Irish. For instance, the Latin words purpura, "purple," and Pascha, "Easter," were borrowed as corcur and Casc. (Later, as their language continued to develop and change, the Irish learned to cope with p, and Modern Irish has many words containing this consonant.) The early Irish also borrowed the Latin word planta meaning "sprout" or "sprig,"—also the source of the English word plant—and pronounced it cland. In Old Irish, cland was used to mean not only "offshoot of a plant" but also "offspring," "family," and "clan." The word cland was carried to the area that is now Scotland when speakers of Old Irish gained power in the region in the late 400s. The form of Old Irish spoken in Scotland eventually developed into the language now known as Scottish Gaelic. In Scottish Gaelic, cland developed the form clann, and it was from Scottish Gaelic that the word clan entered English in the 15th century, at first with reference to the clans of the Scottish Highlands.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/clan

Smaug
03-26-2015, 03:39 AM
My clans (those I could trace):

Clan Middleton, sept of Clan Innes
Clan MacLean of Lochaber
Clan Mure of Rowallan
Possibly Clan MacNeil of Barra, through an Irish ancestor who might have been 1) just an O'Neil; 2) descendant of a Gallowglass; 3) Plantantion Scot, but highly unlikely, since this surname was not common for the part of Scotland where most of the Scottish settlers who made their way to Ulster were from. Also, my Irish ancestors were Catholic, not Protestant.

Smaug
03-26-2015, 03:42 AM
Using ydna we are traced back to Cenél nEóġain "kindred" or descendants of Eógan mac Néill, son of Niall Noígiallach who founded the kingdom of Tír Eoghain in the 5th century. This is by using ydna. He was a son of Niall of the Nine Hostages. Tír Eoghain comprises much of what is now County Tyrone, as well as parts of counties Derry, Donegal, Fermanagh, Monaghan and Armagh. My father was from North Roscommon but this connection is by genetic testing of ydna.

Superb my dear! My MacNeil ancestor was from County Tyrone as well.

Grace O'Malley
03-26-2015, 03:49 AM
Superb my dear! My MacNeil ancestor was from County Tyrone as well.

That's the general region of where the Uí Néill originated so you would definitely be a descendent. There are plenty of NPEs :) and this explains the result of the McNeil's of Barra some are M222 and some have been traced back to Vikings.

Smaug
03-26-2015, 03:56 AM
That's the general region of where the Uí Néill originated so you would definitely be a descendent. There are plenty of NPEs :) and this explains the result of the McNeil's of Barra some are M222 and some have been traced back to Vikings.

That's very interesting. As far I could trace my ancestors were from Omagh. When I have time I'll try to make some more research on my Irish side and see what I can find out. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting. :)