PDA

View Full Version : Cuisine: Swedish, Eastern Mediterranean, etc

StonyArabia
01-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Eggs with some spices. (Basic breakfast)

Turkish food is the best in general. I love it. Turks know how to make delicious items.

Talvi
01-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Turkish food is the best in general. I love it. Turks know how to make delicious items.

I had a chance of eating some Turkish dishes once. It was horrific!!!!

Bozkurt_Karabash
01-02-2012, 07:32 AM

You're just jealous of the kebab -admit it-

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 07:33 AM

come on now turkish food is famous everywhere,what does estonia have that is famous ?:D

Talvi
01-02-2012, 07:35 AM
come on now turkish food is famous everywhere,what does estonia have that is famous ?:D

Really? I dont know one Turkish famous food....

And wtf ? If you think something is famous, that means I have to like it?
I dont care if it was the most famous food on this planet. For me it was disgusting. I will gladly stick with my unpopular food.

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Really? I dont know one Turkish famous food....

you are kidding me?! kebab,baklava,burek,sarma,dolme(i can continue)....well that's all famous here in Sweden and is known from turkey

sorry for the offtopic about food btw :)

Talvi
01-02-2012, 07:49 AM
you are kidding me?! kebab,baklava,burek,sarma,dolme(i can continue)....well that's all famous here in Sweden and is known from turkey

I only know kebab, and people who sell kebab here are like Azeri or something. The rest, Ive never heard of.

Also Sweden has an amazingly huge amount of "foreign" food. When I was in Stockholm it was pretty Impossible to find some actual Swedish restaurant. Or anything northern...but no problem finding Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Mongolian, Italian and such foods.

Loki
01-02-2012, 07:52 AM
I like baklava. Kebab is popular for people with hangovers, it's an easy greasy meal and kebab shops are normally open when all others are already closed. However I wouldn't call it 'cuisine'.

Anyway let's stick to the thread topic. :)

Loki
01-02-2012, 07:54 AM
When I was in Stockholm it was pretty Impossible to find some actual Swedish restaurant.

Yes, I was hugely disappointed with that. :( Smorgasbord is the best! Scandinavian food is simple and healthy.

Talvi
01-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Yes, I was hugely disappointed with that. :( Smorgasbord is the best!

If someone knows where I can find some good Swedish food in Stockholm. Let me know.
I will be there in a few weeks. :)

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Yes, I was hugely disappointed with that. :( Smorgasbord is the best! Scandinavian food is simple and healthy.

köttbullar with potato is :thumb001:

kebab is same like Mc donalds,,,still it is "famous" so it counts

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 08:06 AM
If someone knows where I can find some good Swedish food in Stockholm. Let me know.
I will be there in a few weeks. :)

IKEA! :D

Just kiddin' :p

First off, I shall recommend you my favorite restaurant. It's called Hermann's (http://gastrogate.com/restaurang/hermans) and it is vegetarian all-you-can-eat bouffet.
The tastes are great (especially for my vegetarian-friendly palate) but also the view is spectacular. :thumb001:

There is one medieval Viking restaurant (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189852-d1496289-r65708619-Medeltidskrogen_Sjatte_Tunnan-Stockholm.html) in Gamla Stan said to have traditional medieval Norse recipes.
That is a f--- awesome experience! Very well managed, it has an atmosphere, no lights (only candles), the waiters are trained to act a certain way, the food is great... but it's expensive (around 50/60 euro per person).
If you can afford it, it is well worth the experience :)

Now as for modern Swedish food... I think the area Södermalm would be your best bet to find something as it's full of restaurants, but hold on - I'll ask my friend who lives there and get back to you on that :)

P.S. Going to Stockholm, eh? Bitch! I hate you :mad: :p

Smorgasbord is the best! Scandinavian food is simple and healthy.

I can't agree more :) Whoever said only the mediterranean diet is healthy. I found Swedish cuisine to be very tasty, simple and low on calories and unnecessary fat. :)

The same goes...for Latvian cuisine! They have amazing food. Who would have thought. :)

Sikeliot
01-02-2012, 08:10 AM

Around here people think of baklava as Greek. Not sure why.

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Baklava je Greek :D

Nairi
01-02-2012, 08:13 AM

U named quite a few original Armenian dishes known as "Turkish" but I am not surprised.

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 08:15 AM
U named quite a few original Armenian dishes known as "Turkish" but I am not surprised.

those turks stealing it all from Armenia:mad::D

it is considered bosnian food too by the way,,but we all know its turkish

Nairi
01-02-2012, 08:17 AM

Baklava originates from Assyrians, they made it fristly very simple way, Armenians brought the recipie into tegion, Greeks added to the recipie, Turks have nothing to do with it at all. Most dishes are renamed into Turkish names in OE.

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Baklava je Greek :D

in Bosnia we have greek baklava,,it is from raisins

not as popular as turkish baklava but it exists :D

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
in Bosnia we have greek baklava,,it is from raisins

not as popular as turkish baklava but it exists :D
I dislike baklava in general...too sweet for my taste. But I must admit that of all the common foods we all have (Balkans and Turkey), the versions I have tasted in Istanbul were by far the most tasty. And the most fattening. 5kg+ in 6 days :P

Flintlocke
01-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Post some pics with sexy lingerie or something goddamnit! And take your kebab and balkava in the food thread. :Pruegelknabe:

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Post some pics with sexy lingerie or something goddamnit! And take your kebab and balkava in the food thread. :Pruegelknabe:
LOL, can we split the thread? Again? :o :)

Nairi
01-02-2012, 08:27 AM
those turks stealing it all from Armenia:mad::D

it is considered bosnian food too by the way,,but we all know its turkish

Yes, Turks stole everything mosty from Armenians.
If you also have for example dolma then you have adopted Armenian cuisine, recepies of dolma and many other dishes are written in Armenain chronicles of 5 th century, long before your beloved NOMAD Turks invaded our lands...

Source: “The Cuisines of our peoples”, VV Pokhlebkin, 1978, Tsentrpoligraf,Russia

Armenian cuisine – one of the oldest cuisines in Asia and the most ancient in the Caucasus.

...On the contrary, the Armenians have contributed to the cuisine of the Seljuk Turks, so that many truly Armenian dishes were later known in Europe through the Turks as an alleged Turkish cuisine (eg, dolma).

The type of the hearth (t’onir) and the form of the tableware (made out of clay), made ​​originally by Armenians, spread all over the South Caucasus, influencing the very nature of the dishes.

This Armenian tradition carried over to the neighbors of the Armenians – Georgians and Azerbaijanis.

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Yes, Turks stole everything mosty from Armenians.
If you also have for example dolma then you have adopted Armenian cuisine, recepies of dolma and many other dishes are written in Armenain chronicles of 5 th century, long before your beloved NOMAD Turks invaded our lands...

Source: “The Cuisines of our peoples”, VV Pokhlebkin, 1978, Tsentrpoligraf,Russia

Ok seriously i really don't care where the food comes from as long as it tastes good:D

yes we have dolma,sarma,burek etc we got it all from ottomans

and that foods exist in the whole middle east,balkans and other parts of world so no point arguing where it comes from,,just enjoy the food

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Ok seriously i really don't care where the food comes from as long as it tastes good:D

and that foods exist in the whole middle east,balkans and other parts of world so no point arguing where it comes from,,just enjoy the food
Let's declare a Crusade over the origins of baklava! :D :D

I couldn't agree more with you, bosnian :)

Flintlocke
01-02-2012, 08:36 AM

Yeah these things are everywhere. I wonder what people were eating before the Turks came.

Padre Organtino
01-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Georgian food je better than Turkish

Nairi
01-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Yoghurt is the greatest legacy that the Turks left to the world

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ySSLcXB7U7I/TOToIu3uoBI/AAAAAAAAAA4/C2zyPUsu2PY/s1600/yoghurt-nutrinoba.jpg

"Mastsun" as we call it was there long before Turks invaded, there is almost nothing orriginal Turkish in the world, everything is stolen and renamed into Turkish names.

Also,

Yogurt making began in the United States in 1929 when the Colombosian family, Armenians who lived in Andover, started Colombo and Sons Creamery. General Mills purchased the company in 1993 and incorporated the yogurt division as Yoplait Colombo, based in Methuen. In 1919, near Barcelona, Isaac Carasso came out with Danone (named for his son Daniel); he brought it to the United States as Dannon in 1941. Now called the Danone Group, the company has captured a 15 percent share of the fresh dairy market worldwide.

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah these things are everywhere. I wonder what people were eating before the Turks came.

nothing special :D

Nairi
01-02-2012, 08:49 AM

I don't mind if you call original Bosnian food "Turkish" :D but I don't know why Armenian food should be called Ottoman or Turkish...

Motörhead Remember Me
01-02-2012, 08:52 AM

I agree that Turkish food is generally very delicious.

Nairi
01-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Sorry,I got a little bit confused with Armenian and Greek part. Cuisine is also a great source of world's ancient history.

The article is joint work of “Kitchenproject” and Turkey.

The Origin Of Baklava

It is widely believed that the Assyrians at around 8th century B.C. were the first people who put together a few layers of thin bread dough, with chopped nuts in between those layers, added some honey and baked it in their primitive wood burning ovens. This earliest known version of baklava was baked only on special occasions. In fact, historically baklava was considered a food for the rich until mid-19th century.

In Turkey, to this day one can hear a common expression often used by the poor, or even by the middle class, saying: “I am not rich enough to eat baklava and boerek every day”.

REGIONAL INTERACTIONS:

The Greek seamen and merchants traveling east to Mesopotamia soon discovered the delights of Baklava. It mesmerized their taste buds. They brought the recipe to Athens. The Greeks’ major contribution to the development of this pastry is the creation of a dough technique that made it possible to roll it as thin as a leaf, compared to the rough, bread-like texture of the Assyrian dough. In fact, the name “Phyllo” was coined by Greeks, which means “leaf” in the Greek language. In a relatively short time, in every kitchen of wealthy households in the region, trays of baklava were being baked for all kinds of special occasions from the 3rd Century B.C. onwards. The Armenians, as their Kingdom was located on ancient Spice and Silk Routes, integrated for the first time the cinnamon and cloves into the texture of baklava. The Arabs introduced the rose-water and cardamom. The taste changed in subtle nuances as the recipe started crossing borders. To the north of its birthplace, baklava was being baked and served in the palaces of the ancient Persian kingdom. To the west, it was baked in the kitchens of the wealthy Roman mansions, and then in the kitchens of the Byzantine Empire until the fall of the latter in 1453 A.D.

THE PERFECTION:
In the 15th Century A.D., the Ottomans invaded Constantinople to the west, and they also expanded their eastern territories to cover most of ancient Assyrian lands and the entire Armenian Kingdom. The Byzanthion Empire came to an end, and in the east Persian Kingdom lost its western provinces to the invaders. For four hundred years from 16th Century on, until the decline of Ottoman Empire in 19th Century, the kitchens of Imperial Ottoman Palace in Constantinople became the ultimate culinary hub of the empire.

The artisans and craftsmen of all Guilds, the bakers, cooks and pastry chefs who worked in the Ottoman palaces, at the mansions of Pashas and Viziers, and at Provincial Governor (Vali) residences etc., had to be recruited from various ethnic groups that composed the empire. Armenian, Greek, Persian, Egyptian, Assyrian and occasionally Serbian, Hungarian or even French chefs were brought to Constantinople, to be employed at the kitchens of the wealthy. These chefs contributed enormously to the interaction and to the refinement of the art of cooking and pastry-making of an Empire that covered a vast region to include the Balkans, Greece, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Persia, Armenia, Iraq and entire Mesopotamia, Palestine, Egypt, North Africa and the Mediterranean and Aegean islands. Towards the end of 19th Century, small pastry-shops started to appear in Constantinople and in major Provincial capitals, to cater the middle class, but the Ottoman Palace have always remained the top culinary “academy” of the Empire, until its end in 1923.

Here, we must mention that there’s a special reason for baklava being the top choice of pastry for the Turkish Sultans with their large Harems, as well as for the wealthy and their families. Two principal ingredients, the pistachio and honey, were believed to be aphrodisiacs when taken regularly. Certain spices that were added to baklava, have also helped to fine-tune and to augment the aphrodisiac characteristics of the pastry, depending on male or female consumer. Cinnamon for females, and cardamom for males and cloves for both sexes.

From 18th century on, there was nothing much to add to baklava’s already perfectioned taste and texture. There were however, some cosmetic modifications in shaping and in the presentation of baklava on a baking tray (called Sini). The Phyllo dough (called Youfka) which was traditionally layered and cut into squares or triangles, were given a “French touch” in late 18th century. As the Empire began opening itself to Western cultural (and culinary) influences, the General manager (Kahyabasi) of the Imperial Kitchen didn’t miss the opportunity to hire Monsieur Guillaume, a former pastry chef of Marie Antoinette, who in exile at the Ottoman Turkish Palace after learning how to bake baklava, created the “dome” technique of cutting and folding of the baklava squares which was named “Baklava Francaise” (Frenk Baklavasi) after the nationality of its creator.

Istanbul,Turkey, Ruhan Çelebi

In Armenia we call it "pakchlava"

Loki
01-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Over here in England, baklava and kebabs are thought of as Muslim food (sorry Greeks & Armenians :o ). When I think "Greek food" I think of souvlaki and moussaka, and salads. :)

Nairi
01-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Nairi Yogurt was first made by Turkic tribes.

LOL
If you think that nomadic Turkish tribes were able to cultivate yougurt then I have nothing to add. Maybe only the fact that Armenian cuisine( widely used by Turks and presented to the world as "Turkish") is documented in Armenian Chronicles written in the 5 th century.

And just an interesting fact ...

Stamen Grigorov (1878–1945), a Bulgarian student of medicine in Geneva, first examined the microflora of the Bulgarian yogurt. In 1905, he described it as consisting of a spherical and a rod-like lactic acid bacteria. In 1907, the rod-like bacterium was called Lactobacillus bulgaricus (now Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus).

Nairi
01-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Over here in England, baklava and kebabs are thought of as Muslim food (sorry Greeks & Armenians :o ). When I think "Greek food" I think of souvlaki and moussaka, and salads. :)

I know! lol
But when they travel to Armenia and Greece they realise how in reality so called Muslim food should taste, I can't eat kebab in the UK or Australia.

Btw, the same is with Armenian instrument Duduk, after Jivan Gasparyan played it in "Gladiator" Westerners use it now for many Muslim movies, it really irritates many Armenians to hear our beautiful Duduk playing Muslim motives! And actually Muslims are not to be blamed here but only Europeans :( :mad:

Nairi
01-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Talking about salads, I think the best one is Olivier salad, it is named after French cook who worked in Moscow and invented that salad, abroad it is also known as "Russian salad". It has always been New Year salad for USSR and I have it now on my table! :D

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Talking about salads, I think the best one is Olivier salad, it is named after French cook who worked in Moscow and invented that salad, abroad it is also known as "Russian salad". It has always been New Year salad for USSR and I have it now on my table! :D

Is that the potato, carrot, etc, with mayonnaise type of salad? :)

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 09:29 AM
i mean come on,i was surprised to hear nigerians talk about "halva" and "baklava"...they also make it on the islamic holiday bayram

just like we bosnians :D

we are maybe a lost nigerian tribe?

seriously,people that fight over food have serious issues :D

Nairi
01-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Is that the potato, carrot, etc, with mayonnaise type of salad? :)

Yes, yes, very yummy! :)

In Armenia we call it "stolichnii", stolica in Russian means "capital city", the word we referred to Moscow in USSR...and sometimes we call it "Olivie" by the name of a French cook. (don't pronounce R at the end)

Btw, both in England and Australia we struggled a lot to find right gherkins for it, I was looking for the taste of my childhood where we only used Bulgarian gherkins for Olivier salad :D

Do you make it as well?

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 09:41 AM
do you guys also have "meza" or "meze"?

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Do you make it as well?

Yes, also called "Russian salad" here.

A lighter, vegetarian variation of it is also made, and called "farm salad" :)

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 10:25 AM
do you guys also have "meza" or "meze"?
Every Greek will tell you "meze" is a Greek word (and invention) :D

Ushtari
01-02-2012, 10:26 AM
i like kebabrulle

Flintlocke
01-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Meze je whatever is not condidered a full meal.

Absinthe
01-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Meze je whatever is not condidered a full meal.
And it doesn't refer to any specific dish, but rather anything that is served in small plates to accompany ouzo, raki, etc.

Talvi
01-02-2012, 10:35 AM

I FUCKING LOVE THIS SALAD!

In Estonia we call it kartulisalat.. potato salad.
Spent my Christmas and New Years Eve with it.

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
And it doesn't refer to any specific dish, but rather anything that is served in small plates to accompany ouzo, raki, etc.

exactly so in bosnia too

a typical meza in bosnia

http://www.blogger.ba/slike/2739.568101.jpg

Flintlocke
01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Is that bacon?

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Is that bacon?

no halal sucuk and "suho meso" :D

Waidewut
01-02-2012, 10:52 AM

In Latvia it's also extremely popular, and it's called "rosols" here.

Flintlocke
01-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I totally <3 Russian salad. I make it with beans too. :D

Talvi
01-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Isnt rosols the red one?
In Estonian we call it "rosolje"

I dont eat that one.

Talvi
01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Rosolje
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JBurA1rYvbo/S1R8BisV_0I/AAAAAAAABFs/mRuOz265IgE/s320/rosolje+pretty.jpg

Potato salad.
http://kokkamine.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dsc_0030.jpg

Nairi
01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Rosolje
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JBurA1rYvbo/S1R8BisV_0I/AAAAAAAABFs/mRuOz265IgE/s320/rosolje+pretty.jpg

Potato salad.
http://kokkamine.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dsc_0030.jpg

We also make red one, called vinegret in Russian...I think we all have similar Soviet legacy also in cuisine :D

Nairi
01-02-2012, 11:13 AM

When I was in Latvia many years ago I had something new for me: cold borsch, one of the best things I have ever tried :)

Usual Russian/Ukranian borsch is part of Armenian ncuisine, but we don't have cold one, is it common for Latvian cuisine?

Waidewut
01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Isnt rosols the red one?
In Estonian we call it "rosolje"

I dont eat that one.

No, rosols isn't the red one.
The red one is also called "vinegrets", like Nairi said, but it can't be compared with "rosols" in popularity.
I guess the salad called "herring in a coat" is something similar, it's also very popular here.

When I was in Latvia many years ago I had something new for me: cold borsch, one of the best things I have ever tried :)

Usual Russian/Ukranian borsch is part of Armenian ncuisine, but we don't have cold one, is it common for Latvian cuisine?

It's very typical, but only during summer. I guess it could be called dish nr. 1 during that season.
And it's originally Lithuanian, if I remember correctly.

Nairi
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
No, rosols isn't the red one.
The red one is also called "vinegrets", like Nairi said, but it can't be compared with "rosols" in popularity.
I guess the salad called "herring in a coat" is something similar, it's also very popular here.

It's very typical, but only during summer. I guess it could be called dish nr. 1 during that season.
And it's originally Lithuanian, if I remember correctly.

I have been once to Litva and twice to Latvia so it stayed in my memory mostly from my Latvian experience.
It is summer over here, 44 degree and I just realised that cold borsch will be perfect! :)

I even looked for the recipe over here...I learnt it is also called "xolodnik"...
Will cook soon...

It is served with potatoes...

http://s53.radikal.ru/i142/1108/9c/67ef699f90c6.jpg

Talvi
01-02-2012, 01:18 PM
We also make red one, called vinegret in Russian...I think we all have similar Soviet legacy also in cuisine :D

I think these Soviet style foods are going out of fashion in Estonia.

Many people still eat potato salad or.. macaroni salad.. young people, too.. but the red one... and that herring thing is mostly something the older generation prefers.

rhiannon
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Love Turkish cuisine as long as I stay away from lamb. The spices they use are awesome:)

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
i dont like lamb either,butb they eat it a looot

just like the arabs..its all about lamb :D

rhiannon
01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
IKEA! :D

Just kiddin' :p

First off, I shall recommend you my favorite restaurant. It's called Hermann's (http://gastrogate.com/restaurang/hermans) and it is vegetarian all-you-can-eat bouffet.
The tastes are great (especially for my vegetarian-friendly palate) but also the view is spectacular. :thumb001:

There is one medieval Viking restaurant (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189852-d1496289-r65708619-Medeltidskrogen_Sjatte_Tunnan-Stockholm.html) in Gamla Stan said to have traditional medieval Norse recipes.
That is a f--- awesome experience! Very well managed, it has an atmosphere, no lights (only candles), the waiters are trained to act a certain way, the food is great... but it's expensive (around 50/60 euro per person).
If you can afford it, it is well worth the experience :)

I would so go to that restaurant....:icon_drunk:

rhiannon
01-02-2012, 01:49 PM
In the States, we have access to all kinds of excellent cuisine. My favorites are:
Japanese
Turkish/Middle Eastern
Vegetarian
Vietnamese
Greek/Mediterranean

I am not a fan of most standard American fare....nor most fast food. If I want a burger, I'll make one at home. Hot dogs are disgusting....as is catsup. I find that your *typically American* palate is very bland. I don't like bland....give me SPICES!

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
ok reading this has made me hungry :D

rhiannon
01-02-2012, 01:57 PM

For me....Greek: Gyros, dolmathes, feta cheese, tzatziki

I find that the cuisines of the Mediterranean and Middle East have a great deal of overlap, and there are regional variations of many of the same dishes.

memobekes
01-02-2012, 02:15 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Dg_kUWfW2l0/TETkeHiqK4I/AAAAAAAAAb0/rLwLyila0xU/s1600/K%C4%B1s%C4%B1r.jpg
Kısır

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2461/3833910452_9f57d0378d.jpg
Iskender kebab

http://www.anadoluevyemekleri.com/Resimler/f37acbec-6aac-4e49-9a02-bb805d094ea0.jpg
Sutlac

http://geoblog.psu.edu/borek.jpg
Borek

Try Anatolian food, you won't regret it. Take my word. :)

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 02:18 PM
sutlac..we call it "sutlija",but i dont like it...my mom makes it often :)

memobekes
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
sutlac..we call it "sutlija",but i dont like it...my mom makes it often :)

How can a Bosnian refuse Sutlac? :D
I love that stuff...

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
i love "tulumbe"

do you know it? :D

Peasant
01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Got to rep da hood.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Sunday_roast_-_roast_beef_1.jpg

Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puddings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/YorkShireParkin.jpg

Parkin

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Fish_n_chips.jpg

Fish and Chips

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/Spotted_Dick_Wikimeet_London_2005.jpg/800px-Spotted_Dick_Wikimeet_London_2005.jpg

Spotted Dick.

Wash that shit down with some ale or a drink of tea.

Leliana
01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
you are kidding me?! kebab,baklava,burek,sarma,dolme(i can continue)....well that's all famous here in Sweden and is known from turkey)
http://smilys.net/kotzende_smilies/smiley3756.gif

People who buy halal food, food made by brutally murdered animals, are stupid and damnable. And all Turkish and Muslim foods are halal. Europeans eating such food are lowering themselves. Animals are saveagely slaughtered according to Islamic rules and rites.

My favourite cuisine is civilisized cuisine: German, Italian, Czech-Bohemian, Hungarian, Polish and Scandinavian.

memobekes
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
i love "tulumbe"

do you know it? :D

Yes, I do know tulumba. :thumb001:

This is what I feel like gorging on right now, LOL

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/68/210880239_7475a5c476.jpg

Sebastianus Rex
01-02-2012, 03:31 PM

All "kebab restaurants" should be burned to the ground !! It's a ******* plague, a scar in the face of European cities.

StonyArabia
01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
From the Kavkaz region I would say the best cuisine would be that of Chechyna and Georgia but they have many things in common

http://s10.postimage.org/h9ggyxq09/PROJEKT_43.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image host (http://postimage.org/)

Often as sign of welcoming the guest, they don't let buy anything and eat from the home grown fruit for free.

http://s14.postimage.org/64ty0vbjl/PROJEKT_37.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
jpg image hosting (http://postimage.org/)

This traditional dish Chechen (żiżik gałnysz) and Georgian (chinkali, chaczapuri) dishes, The traditional Kist cuisine includes Chechen (żiżik gałnysz) and Georgian (chinkali, chaczapuri) dishes. Typical of Kist cuisine are mutton, goat, beef and chicken kebabs (usually prepared in the open air during mountain trips). The Kists make many types of dairy products, such as: several types of cheese, butter, cream and yoghurt. They also bake wheat and maize bread, and will treat you to some lovely home wine or vodka and sometimes Raki.

http://s13.postimage.org/7bgbimtd3/obraz_097.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image upload (http://postimage.org/)

Many types of dairy products, such as: several types of cheese, butter, cream and yoghurt. They also bake wheat and maize bread, and will treat you to some lovely home

The traditional cuisine includes Chechen (żiżik gałnysz) and Georgian (chinkali, chaczapuri) dishes. Typical of the cuisine are mutton, goat, beef and chicken kebabs (usually prepared in the open air during mountain trips).

http://s13.postimage.org/ry9mhp25j/22_gruzin_kietowy.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image upload (http://postimage.org/)

http://s18.postimage.org/9u20jbf4p/url.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
upload images (http://postimage.org/)

Talvi
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM

People who buy halal food, food made by brutally murdered animals, are stupid and damnable. And all Turkish and Muslim foods are halal. Europeans eating such food are lowering themselves. Animals are saveagely slaughtered according to Islamic rules and rites.

My favourite cuisine is civilisized cuisine: German, Italian, Czech-Bohemian, Hungarian, Polish and Scandinavian.

And we eat meat from animals peacefully put into their slumber...?? Or we just wait till they die naturally and then eat the corpse?

Do you really believe that todays mass prodtcion has time for... rites in slaughtering animals? And that every kebab place has a secret slaughterhouse in their backyard?

Civilized cuisine? Dont be ridiculous.

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Bosnian burek is different from those on the pics here.We usually call burek only if its with meat,others are called "pita"(pita od sira(pita from cheese etc)
here is burek :)

http://www.travelmagpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/IMG_7344.jpg

here is burek with cheese/pita

http://recepti.fr/slike/201004091118110.sirnica.JPG

Hurrem sultana
01-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Hahahaha sorry but you made me laugh girl

i gotta admit you are giving me an impression of being a weird girl,who judges food by origin? and talks about "civilized" cuisine?

you are also missing out many many great dishes,because Asia is home to the best cuisines

Flintlocke
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Hallall means good it's a thing people in the balkans say, it's got nothing to do with meat.

Leliana
01-02-2012, 08:14 PM
i gotta admit you are giving me an impression of being a weird girl,who judges food by origin? and talks about "civilized" cuisine?
Cuisine relying on halal meat doesn't meet standards of acceptable civilization because civilisized countries don't kill animals without anesthetization, without letting the conscious animal bleeding to death and without Islamic phrases being spoken in the process of killing.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QfVWU-2pVL4/TJ9kWRrJj-I/AAAAAAAAPoI/W1TkXzCSNKU/s1600/halal+meat+UK+supermarkets.jpg
http://sosheimat.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/halal-meat.jpg
http://politik-news.net/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/88c55_schaecht1.jpg

Insane people are brutal to humans and brutal to animals. Islam is an insane 'religion' created by an insane, warmongering, lying, pedophile and deceptive man, no wonder that Islamic rites and rules are insane. And I think the same about kosher meat.

you are also missing out many many great dishes,because Asia is home to the best cuisines
Taste is in the eyes of the beholder. :) I dislike Asian food, I tried it and think it's unpalatable. Some Russian meals are okay, though, but they are Europeans above all.

Artavazt
01-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Unfortunatly,UK is fool of halal food shops,specialy west midlands (Birminghamisdan)

Peyrol
01-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Ptù, no comparison with my Homeland's cousine :cool:

Flintlocke
01-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Ptù, no comparison with my Homeland's cousine :cool:

Yeah I'll agree with that. Have the Southerners started eating rizoto yet or they still won't do it? :D

Flintlocke
01-02-2012, 08:36 PM
pics of animals slaughtered

What makes me mad is that these animals are eaten by these muds. :mad: They don't even deserve rat meat in my book.

Stars Down To Earth
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Japanese food is my current favourite, I often get those sushi take-aways. Also, everyone's heard about sushi and that stuff, but besides those there's loads and loads of Japanese foods that are basically unknown to most people: kaiseki-ryori, robata-yaki, and so on. It tastes great, it's healthy, and I also share their Asiatic dislike of everything greasy and creamy. :tongue I also like French and Italian food, from time to time.

My least favourite is that kebab shit, it's barely edible when you're sober.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ySSLcXB7U7I/TOToIu3uoBI/AAAAAAAAAA4/C2zyPUsu2PY/s1600/yoghurt-nutrinoba.jpg
The greatest Turkish legacy to the world. I used to live off yogurt when I had eating disorders, that shit kept me alive. :D Thank fuck those Turkic steppe nomads got the idea to congeal milk and eat it as their military ration (makes sense if you're nomadic, to turn your horse's milk into more substantial food). Also, it's very healthy food.

Nairi
01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Japanese food is my current favourite, I often get those sushi take-aways. Also, everyone's heard about sushi and tempura, but besides those there's loads and loads of Japanese foods that are basically unknown to most people: kaiseki-ryori, robata-yaki, and so on. It tastes great, it's healthy, and I also share their Asiatic dislike of everything greasy and creamy. :tongue I also like French and Italian food, from time to time.

My least favourite is that kebab shit, it's barely edible when you're sober.

The greatest Turkish legacy to the world. I used to live off yoghurt when I had eating disorders, that shit kept me alive. :D Thank fuck those Turkic steppe nomads got the idea to congeal mare's milk and eat it as their military ration. Also, it's very healthy food.

I wonder where nomads were cultivating yogurt?
When they invaded Armenian Hihgland yogurt was already waiting for them lol

Also,
Yogurt making began in the United States in 1929 when the Colombosian family, Armenians who lived in Andover, started Colombo and Sons Creamery. General Mills purchased the company in 1993 and incorporated the yogurt division as Yoplait Colombo, based in Methuen. In 1919, near Barcelona, Isaac Carasso came out with Danone (named for his son Daniel); he brought it to the United States as Dannon in 1941. Now called the Danone Group, the company has captured a 15 percent share of the fresh dairy market worldwide.

Talvi
01-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Japanese food is my current favourite, I often get those sushi take-aways. Also, everyone's heard about sushi and that stuff, but besides those there's loads and loads of Japanese foods that are basically unknown to most people: kaiseki-ryori, robata-yaki, and so on. It tastes great, it's healthy, and I also share their Asiatic dislike of everything greasy and creamy. :tongue I also like French and Italian food, from time to time.

Only if a European like you is going to eat Rice with almost every meal like in Japan, you will get fat pretty fast :D
Also we dont digest nori that well.
:D

Hevneren
01-15-2012, 10:33 AM
A song about traditional food here. :D

JNge7oVZqvw

Leliana
01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I love blueberry pie

http://www.tueschmecker.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/blaubeerkuchen.jpg

with a glass of cold milk

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/pictures/18000/nahled/glass-of-milk.jpg

I could have it any day! :yumyum:

Vasa
01-15-2012, 08:09 PM
I only know kebab, and people who sell kebab here are like Azeri or something. The rest, Ive never heard of.

Also Sweden has an amazingly huge amount of "foreign" food. When I was in Stockholm it was pretty Impossible to find some actual Swedish restaurant. Or anything northern...but no problem finding Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Mongolian, Italian and such foods.

People dont go out to eat the same food as you do at home.. Thats one of the reasons it's kind of rare to find swedish restaurants. :)

Me personally, rates swedish food higher than anything. :)

BTW, this is a pic from a part of my Yule dinner
Hunted and slaughtered by ourselfes:
http://i.imgur.com/BIbWp.jpg

StonyArabia
01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
The best cuisine is from Adygheia from the Caucasus

HOSPITALITY has always been one of the distinguishing traits of the
Caucasian highlanders. If not through good will, then the binding
prescriptions of the Xabze ensured the best deal for a guest or visitor to the
North Caucasus. The Circassians were known to go to extremes to ensure
that a guest or wayfarer was properly regaled, and diligently ensure that he
was put up in comfort. According to the saying, 'Hesch'er zheschiysch
yisme, binim ya schisch mex'wzh,'

Boiled Mutton (Melil gheva)

http://s13.postimage.org/muxxgrm6v/Adyg2.png (http://postimage.org/)
image hosting gif (http://postimage.org/)

Lamb Boiled in Cream

http://s18.postimage.org/614oawqq1/ady3.png (http://postimage.org/)
png image hosting (http://postimage.org/)

Fried Meat (Li teibech'e ghezchawe)

http://s18.postimage.org/x6m895mbt/Adygea5.png (http://postimage.org/)
hosting images (http://postimage.org/)

Liver Sausage (Themsch'ighwnibe)

http://s17.postimage.org/e5w31d4jj/Untitled.png (http://postimage.org/)
gif image hosting (http://postimage.org/)

Peasant
01-17-2012, 07:34 PM
The general theme seems to be meat and dairy. God damn I want to live in that country.