PDA

View Full Version : The Tastiest Baked Beans You'll Ever Make!

Frigga
04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
These are yummy-yum-yum! :D So much better than canned, and if you do it the way I tell you to, you won't have the gas problems either.

In this recipe, you have to first soak your beans for 24 hours in a warm, acidic solution. This is very important! This neutralizes the phytic acid in the beans, and other properties that would make them indigestible, which exhibits itself as painful cramping, and gas. You can use any bean you like except for soy. Soy takes a very long fermentation process to neutralize it's anti-nutrient properties. Naturally prepared, fermented soy sauce is alright to use.

This recipe comes from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I added the bacon, and bacon fat. I save my bacon fat from breakfast, and keep it in a jar in the fridge, so I always have some on hand. I highly suggest you do as well if you cook bacon. If you wish, you can omit the bacon, but I think that the bacon is absolutely essential. This is a very hearty recipe, and can be easily halved. I personally feel that this could serve more like 8-12, depending on how much you like beans! You will need a large casserole dish that can also go on the stove. For the half recipe, I use about a 3 quart size. To soak the beans, I just use a 2 quart sized mason canning jar.

Baked Beans
serves 6-8

4 cups small white beans
warm filtered water
2 tablespoons whey, lemon juice, or raw apple cider vinegar
2 medium onions, diced
4-6 tablespoons bacon fat, or a combination of butter and olive oil
1 small can of tomato paste
3 tablespoons naturally fermented soy sauce
3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed
1 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of red chile flakes
6 ounces of bacon, diced, or more if you desire, and can afford it

Cover beans with warm water and add whey, and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. In a flameproof casserole, saute onion in fat. Drain beans, and rinse well. Add to casserole, with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, and skim off any foam that rises up. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and bake at 250-350 degrees, depending on how long you have, for at least 5 hours. Use the higher temperature for the shorter time. If you have all day, cook at 250. Be certain to stir it every couple of hours. You can also use a crockpot, on low setting. This is a very tasty dish! And, it's cheap too!

:)

Skandi
04-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Do you think this would work in a slow cooker? because the cost of leaving my oven on for that time would ruin me!

EDIT: Idiot I guess that is what a crockpot is?

Susi
04-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Susi's Baked Beans.

Step 1: Open Can
Step 2: Cook.
:D

Tolleson
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
The Musical Fruit, very popular....:D

Sounds great FS. Aemma will enjoy reading this recipe.:thumb001: