PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania German Resources

Loyalist
04-24-2009, 02:23 AM
For years I have had considerable difficulty in tracing two Germans from which I am maternally descended, both having settled in Pennsylvania in the 18th century. Using the standard Ancestry.com, RootsWeb, GenForum, LDS Family Search, and other resources, I have been able to trace both to the immigrant generation, obtained transcripts of wills and so on, but I have also been left with unanswered questions. Complicating the search is the fact that both anglicized their surnames, and in turn different individuals assumed various spellings.

In the case of one, parentage and country of birth are unclear, as is the identity of his spouse, but all are the subject of great speculation, the conclusions of which are mostly based on circumstantial evidence. I would love to put that to rest. As for the other, there is question over his name (the ship list (http://www.searchforancestors.com/passengerlists/davy1738.html) mentions it ["Hans Jacob Schmuck"] was written by a clerk, and is possibly incorrect), compounded by the fact that, regardless of accuracy, his children anglicized it, although at least with consistent spelling. Again, the identity of his spouse is unknown. Strangely, a public family tree I came across on Ancestry.com listed her as a woman who, in every other tree I pulled up, is described as being married to a different man with the same surname. For that reason I think it is a simple mistake by that one exception, but of course does not help to simplify that situation. Given the time and location, I believe they are related (siblings perhaps) but attempting to search this other individual was a dead end as well.

I have effectively exhausted every resource I know of, and so with nowhere else to turn, I would like to know if anyone here has any other sources which could help, Pennsylvania-specific or otherwise. I really am defeated on this one, and any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumb001:

Electronic God-Man
04-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Send me the names, dates, etcetera.

:coffee:

Haha, really I don't know what I can do for you. I'll try though. I have quite a number of Pennsylvania Dutch families where I don't know their ultimate origins or all the females down the line I only have the first name. But I haven't tried too hard looking into them yet.

I'll see about other PA sources too. But I'd like to see the info you have first.