PDA

View Full Version : Croatians Vote on EU Membership

poiuytrewq0987
01-22-2012, 02:57 AM
Polling stations throughout the country open at 7 a.m., and voters will be asked simply whether or not they support Croatia's EU membership bid.

After signing its accession treaty in December last year, Zagreb hopes the country will join the European bloc in July 2013.

According to the latest opinion polls, published on Thursday, sixty per cent of Croatians will vote yes in the referendum.

The poll, conducted by the Ipsos plus agency and Nova TV, found that 31 per cent of voters planned to vote "no" and nine percent were undecided. Turnout is expected to stand at around 60 per cent.

While 4,5 million Croatians are eligible to vote in the referendum, including those who live outside the country, most opinion polls show that many won't go to the polls. There is no minimum turnout required for the referendum.

More here: http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/croatians-vote-on-eu-membership

Siberyak
01-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Hopefully Croatians will vote to stay out.

Guapo
01-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Hopefully Croatians will vote to stay out.

Why? That's their lifelong dream, to be a part of the 4th Reich, teh "west"

Heretik
01-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Zaista neočekivan rezultat. (http://www.vecernji.hr/vijesti/hrvatska-odlucila-prema-prvim-podacima-66-3-za-33-protiv-clanak-368737) :\

The Lawspeaker
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I hope they will vote against it...
Heretik: can you translate the results for me ?

Ooh wait (Google Translator is my friend):

Hrvatska odlučila: Prema prvim podacima 66,3% ZA, 33% PROTIV

Croatia decided: According to preliminary data, 66.3% FOR, 33% against

Godverdomme ! :mad::rolleyes2:

Vasconcelos
01-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the shithole :)

The Lawspeaker
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
They have got no one to blame now but themselves. Sometimes a people get the shitty government it rightfully deserves. :rolleyes2:

Heretik
01-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Yay! Thanks! :D

They have got no one to blame now but themselves. Sometimes a people get the shitty government it rightfully deserves.

Nobody can't convince me that the results are not rigged. I have talked to many people about it and most of them were against entering EU. People I talked to were from both sides of political spectre.

Mordid
01-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Croatia je Poland

The Lawspeaker
01-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Nobody can't convince me that the results are not rigged. I have talked to many people about it and most of them were against entering EU. People I talked to were from both sides of political spectre.
What are the odds that the results are rigged ?

Redar14
01-22-2012, 07:26 PM
http://bajkitv.pl/galeria/obraz/468066651.jpg
Welcome to Titanic.

R.I.P Hrvatska :(

Heretik
01-22-2012, 07:27 PM
What are the odds that the results are rigged ?

Without entering the murky waters of conspiracy theories, odds are pretty low but I cannot understand how it's possible that 90% of people I talked to were against accession and the results show that 67% voted "Yes". There's still hope EU will crumble before July 2013. :D

Saruman
01-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Without entering the murky waters of conspiracy theories, odds are pretty low but I cannot understand how it's possible that 90% of people I talked to were against accession and the results show that 67% voted "Yes".

Because of media power and elites who control it. They do as they please. So these votes come as formalities. Except Ireland's 1st vote on Lisbon treaty, but still 2nd passed..

Vasconcelos
01-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Croatia je Germany

Heretik
01-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Because of media power and elites who control it. They do as they please. So these votes come as formalities. Except Ireland's 1st vote on Lisbon treaty, but still 2nd passed..

They said that if this referendum didn't pass they would repeat it as long as the result isn't in favour of accession. :D
Was there really a point then?

Croatia je Germany

Portugal je Hrvatska!

MandM
01-22-2012, 07:46 PM
well i hope it worsk out for croatia, in my opinion for EU to live on and be a successful union, only rich countrys shuld be members. The lesser rich cant have the same laws as the other rich countrys when some of the laws affect there economy,they all have to have the same standard as the rich country but there salary stayes the same, idustry,infastructur and so and has to be somewhat similir, and that takes alot of money to do, sure members have to come to a surtent stage to join but i is jts the minimul recyerments, look at Bulgaria, greece, rumania,Poland, Baltic countries. well this was just my opinion,not ment to offend anyone or any countries.

Heretik
01-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Baltic countries and Poland prospered from EU actually.

MandM
01-22-2012, 07:53 PM

well i only know that baltic are the poorest in eu, but poland they are coming to sweden alot looking for minimum wage jobs here, so somthing is not going as pland in Poland, maby any polacks here in the forum can tell us there version?

Redar14
01-22-2012, 07:58 PM

:lol00002::lol00002::lol00002::lol00002::puke:

Heretik
01-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Well, somewhat. :D
GDP almost doubled if nothing.

Ushtari
01-22-2012, 08:02 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/096/044/trollface.jpg?1296494117

Problem Croats?

Mordid
01-22-2012, 08:04 PM
hey Croats....EU is a money pit....only join if you are looking for a handout/bailout

MandM
01-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Pro and con to join EU. pleas tell men if somthing is missing or changed

- Free trade in between 27 powerful economies
- Free movement of citizens and goods between these countries
- Co-ordinated environmental legislation [important because precious habitats in Europe often cross borders]
- Provides a voice for usually-unelected parties like the Greens, UKIP, BNP, etc.
- Provides support for minority languages within Europe like Irish, Scots Gaelic, etc.
- Huge economic clout worldwide as a single bloc - when the EU is at the debating table in a unified form, we represent 400 million people with the largest combined economy in the world.

Cons:
- Until Lisbon is ratified, the unelected Commission holds too much power compared to the council of heads of state or the elected Parliament. This is slowly changing, but not fast enough. Lisbon removes a lot of power from the Commission, actually.
- There is a lot of bureaucracy within the EU - the European Civil Service is surprisingly large for a small organisation with limited policy-making power, even if it does extend over 27 states.
- The CAP is probably the most absurd policy I've ever studied. Why are we paying ****** French farmers not to grow things? On top of this, the blatant favouritism it shows to France above all other states is pretty annoying for the farmers of the other 26 nations. It's about time it was reformed/scrapped
- The EU's policy on fisheries leaves a lot to be desired. It's not ecologically sound, but at the same time it's killing the businesses of fishermen.
- There is undoubtedly a lot of corruption in the EU, but it lies in the civil service and commission, and not in the Parliament. Give the Parliament more powers, and it could fix this
- The EU has passed other damaging laws such as targets to increase bio fuel production, meanwhile a billion people in the world are starving to death.
- The EU imposes trading restrictions on other continents, e.g. on Africas agriculture.
- The centralisation of power means the politicans have a harder and harder job in truly representing the people, I support the opposite of centralised power; I want to localise it more and more so people are truly represented properly.

poiuytrewq0987
01-23-2012, 04:43 AM
The only difference between the EU and Yugoslavia is that Croatia won't be one of the leading nations nor one of the largest economies in the union. It will probably be marginalized but it's not all bad as Croatia will benefit a lot from joining the EU economically... just that it won't have much say in EU politics. That's all France/Germany.

Lena
01-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Zaista neočekivan rezultat. (http://www.vecernji.hr/vijesti/hrvatska-odlucila-prema-prvim-podacima-66-3-za-33-protiv-clanak-368737) :\

Brain drain comes instantly to my mind. Pity...

Although the rate of emigration of doctors in Croatia has been very low in the past several years, the journals warn that this number could increase significantly with Croatia entering the EU, that is, with the liberalisation of the labour market.
http://dalje.com/en-croatia/not-enough-doctors-in-croatia/31159