PDA

View Full Version : UK keeps EU working week opt-out

Treffie
04-28-2009, 10:01 AM
The UK's opt-out from the European Working Time Directive will remain in place after seeing off attempts by the European Parliament to phase it out.

The opt-out enables UK workers to work more than 48 hours a week. Euro MPs wanted it phased out over three years.

But talks between MEPs, member states and the European Commission failed to reach agreement on how to proceed.

Business Secretary Lord Mandelson said he was "relieved we have been able to resist its removal".

Flexibility

The UK has strenuously defended the opt-out, which 14 other member states are signed up to, for many years.

It argues that workers should be able to choose how many hours they work and flexibility in the workplace boosts the economy.

However, unions say the UK has the longest working hours of any country in Europe, leading to more workplace accidents and hindering rather improving productivity.

Phasing in the changes would allow concerned employers time to adjust, unions have maintained.

MEPs voted in December to end the opt-out - designed to prevent workers from being exploited - within three years.

The current economic climate makes it more important than ever that people continue to have the right to put more money in their pockets

Pat McFadden, UK Employment Minister

But the UK and other member states opposed the move and talks in Brussels aimed at finding a solution broke down after it was agreed that the differences were too great.

It will now be up to the European Commission to decide whether to put forward new legislative proposals.

Employment minister Pat McFadden said the opt-out had worked successfully for many years and ending it would have been a "bad deal" for the UK in the midst of a recession.

Unemployment has risen above two million while thousands of employees, particularly in the car industry, have had their working hours reduced in the face of weakening demand.

"Everyone has the right to basic protections surrounding the hours that they work but it is also important that they have the right to choose those hours," he said.

"The current economic climate makes it more important than ever that people continue to have the right to put more money in their pockets by working longer hours if they choose to do so."

'Disappointed'

The European Commission said it was "sorely disappointed" by the failure to reach agreement and would consult on the best way forward.

"The likely outcome is that more - not less - member states will start using the opt-out, not something I want to see happen," said Vladimir Spidla, the EU's Employment and Social Affairs Commissioner.

"And there won't even be more safeguards for workers who do use the opt-out," he added.

The Czech Republic, which holds the EU presidency, had tried to broker a compromise deal, arguing that the opt-out remained invaluable for many countries.

Its labour minister Petr Necas said MEPs had been "unwilling" to accept that the opt-out offered employers and workers much-needed flexibility in the tough economic climate.

"This is what Europe needs at the time of the economic downturn," he said.

--------------------------------

'Disappointed'

The European Commission said it was "sorely disappointed" by the failure to reach agreement and would consult on the best way forward

This is one of the many reasons why I believe the EU is out of touch with the population. If a person wants to work longer hours, why not let them decide? :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8022095.stm

lei.talk
04-28-2009, 11:49 AM
This is one of the many reasons why I believe the EU is out of touch with the population.

If a person wants to work longer hours,
why not let them decide? :mad::icon1:
because the elite members of society
have a deeper and more thorough understanding
of any individual cog's situation/needs/wants/desires
and - importantly - disposability
than possibly could any mere cog in that great machine.
A man's admiration for absolute government
is proportionate to the contempt he feels
for those around him.
- Alexis de Tocqueville (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville)

Skandi
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
As it is you have to sign a piece of paper saying that you are willing to work over 48 hours. Unfortunately some employers do effectively force their workers to do long hours. But the world isn't fair and the rest of us should certainly be allowed to if we want to. All banning it will do is mean that you cannot be paid for doing more hours, and how will that help anybody?

SwordoftheVistula
04-29-2009, 08:19 AM
It's a ridiculous law to set a limit at 48 hours/week, because for many jobs there's more work to do at particular times of the year.

Anything related to consumer good for example, thanks to Christmas. Factories run in high gear during the summer and early fall, distributors run in high gear during late fall and December, and retail runs in high gear from mid-late November through early January.

Likewise, any job which is dependent on the seasons or weather.

The businesses can either hire more people, or get the people they already have to work more hours. The problem with hiring more people is they have to train those people, and then let them go at the end of the busy season.

So not only does the 48 hour limit cause problems for businesses and workers (some of whom probably take second jobs if they can't get the overtime), it creates a systemic problem of more people in temporary/seasonal employment.

Unless...they just want more 'migrant' workers?

Pino
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
there is an easy way for employers to get around this, simply put everybody on salary contracted to a 48 hour week, as I'm sure others like me who are on salary will know that you find yourself doing more hours than you are being paid for more times than you would like!

At the end of the day, people should be allowed to work whatever hours they like, when I was 16 I worked as a labourer for a pipe fitter and I was working 90 hour weeks at times, it didn't do me any harm i'm not accepting its dangerous to work tired from the health and safety taliban as a ligitimate arguement, people are adults they can decide for themselfs when they have had enough I'm absolutely sick of governments treating us like children.

Maybe the EU should concentrate more on creating jobs rarther than trying to slash the hours of people in work whos jobs are hanging over a cliff.