PDA

View Full Version : Oedipus/Electra complex: are you attracted to people that look like your mother/father

Chronos
01-26-2012, 06:24 AM
"In Neo-Freudian psychology, the Electra complex, as proposed by Carl Gustav Jung, is a girl’s psychosexual competition with mother for possession of father. In the course of her psychosexual development, the complex is the girl’s phallic stage formation of a discrete sexual identity; a boy’s analogous experience is the Oedipus complex. The Electra complex occurs in the third — phallic stage (ages 3–6) — of five psychosexual development stages: (i) the Oral, (ii) the Anal, (iii) the Phallic, (iv) the Latent, and (v) the Genital — in which the source libido pleasure is in a different erogenous zone of the infant’s body."

Are you attracted to people that look like your father (if girl) or mother (if guy)? Elaborate.

For myself, up to a certain point (~18) I was fascinated with the stereotypical Nordic-type blonde (looking like my mother). Nowadays I find them repelling, romantically speaking. The thought of being with someone that looks like my mother perplexes me.

I am quite fond of curly hair + dark eyes though (similiar to my father).

Have you experienced something similar?

zack
01-26-2012, 07:11 AM
I fucking hope not :eek:

SwordoftheVistula
01-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Nope, not at all.

My sister's husband doesn't look at all like my dad either.

rhiannon
01-26-2012, 10:51 AM
A resounding NO, here...and I speak for both myself and my husband:D

Alison
01-26-2012, 01:10 PM
No way! Gross out, man!

Chronos
01-26-2012, 03:20 PM
You'd be astounded how real this phenomenon is. I don't know why you people are so surprised.

Bobby Six Killer
01-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Lol no, im just attracted to women that cook like my mom.

Mordid
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Reading this thread is making me feel sick.

Alison
01-26-2012, 04:00 PM
You'd be astounded how real this phenomenon is. I don't know why you people are so surprised.

It's because the idea of fancying anyone who looks like a parent of yours is revolting.

Chronos
01-26-2012, 04:53 PM
It's because the idea of fancying anyone who looks like a parent of yours is revolting.

I'm not talking about actively fancying someone like that. I'm talking about a subtle, sort of subconscious attraction that is not easily realized, something that an "other" can notice from the outside, but that you yourself cannot (or is difficult to) notice.

Treffie
01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
20 super shitty posts deleted

*Moved to Philosophy section. Stay on topic please.

Treffie
01-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Thread re-opened.

Juanas and Mordid, stop acting like a pair of windowlicking mongs. Any more crap from you two here = temp ban.