PDA

View Full Version : Linguistic question for Greek members

Peyrol
01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
These are songs in the calabrian and apulian "colonial" greek language.

How you're able to understand of this language? It's so far from modern greek?

VaiZn6jT2aY

htKsZVDVNEs

Γέλως
01-26-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm more able to understand the second song. Written Griko is much more understandable though, although it also contains Latin words. Some people suggest that the Griko dialect descends directly from the Doric dialect. I disagree though, it's clearly a Latin influenced modern Greek dialect with Doric archaisms.

Peyrol
01-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm more able to understand the second song. Written Griko is much more understandable though, although it also contains Latin words. Some people suggest that the Griko dialect descends directly from the Doric dialect. I disagree though, it's clearly a Latin influenced modern Greek dialect with Doric archaisms.

So, calabrian griko it's easier than salentium/apulian one?

Mhh...maybe you're right: apulian-salentine greek could be derived from the ancient doric dialect of the hellenistic Epirus, while griko from the koinč of byzantine times.
Or vice versa, there are many theories.

Here an example of written salentinian griko

Εβώ πάντα σε σένα πενσέω,
γιατί σένα φσυκή μου 'γαπώ,
τσαι που πάω, που σύρνω, που στέω
στην καρδιά μου πάντα σένα βαστώ

Queen B
01-27-2012, 11:00 AM
I understand the second better.
The stressing is very similar, to dialect of Ionian Islanders so its easier to my ears

I do get some from the first though...

Peyrol
01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
I understand the second better.
The stressing is very similar, to dialect of Ionian Islanders so its easier to my ears

I do get some from the first though...

So, the calabrian greek sounds more ancient and latinized than the apulian one?

Γέλως
01-28-2012, 04:12 AM
So, calabrian griko it's easier than salentium/apulian one?

Mhh...maybe you're right: apulian-salentine greek could be derived from the ancient doric dialect of the hellenistic Epirus, while griko from the koinč of byzantine times.
Or vice versa, there are many theories.

Here an example of written salentinian griko

Εβώ πάντα σε σένα πενσέω,
γιατί σένα φσυκή μου 'γαπώ,
τσαι που πάω, που σύρνω, που στέω
στην καρδιά μου πάντα σένα βαστώ

These lyrics are sang in the second song that you posted, which you described as Calabrian Griko. They are perfectly understandable by a modern Greek except maybe for the word "πενσέω" that is not used any more. With regards to the first song, it could be the song itself or the accent that makes it hard to understand. The written language could be equally understandable.

Personally I don't believe in the Doric hypothesis, it would be extra ordinary that a small community of Doric speakers survived all these years.

Absinthe
01-28-2012, 07:40 AM
I almost didn't understand a word of the first song :p

Wanderlust
01-28-2012, 07:55 AM
I almost didn't understand a word of the first song :p

Me neither! Thanks for posting them, Tribuno.:)

Peyrol
01-28-2012, 10:34 AM
These lyrics are sang in the second song that you posted, which you described as Calabrian Griko. They are perfectly understandable by a modern Greek except maybe for the word "πενσέω" that is not used any more. With regards to the first song, it could be the song itself or the accent that makes it hard to understand. The written language could be equally understandable.

Personally I don't believe in the Doric hypothesis, it would be extra ordinary that a small community of Doric speakers survived all these years.

It's possible that only the calabrian one has a real doric heritage, while the apulian is byzantine.