PDA

View Full Version : What does Chechen sound like to you?

Terek
01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I want to know!

UABFmdAq0jU

SBLpcEuyHes

Foreigners say it sounds completely alien to them and then they say it sounds like other languages that are not related. I think this is interesting to know what it sounds to you who do not know it.

The Lawspeaker
01-27-2012, 11:35 AM
It sounds like a mixture between Russian and a Middle Eastern language. But I guess I can appreciate it when a woman speaks it. Young women seem to be able to make even the most guttural sounding language sound nice and attractive.

Padre Organtino
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Yes, it has this mix of Slavic and Arabic vibes to me.

Rron
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Nice melody in that song, what he is singing about.

Bloodraven
01-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Sounds very foreign to me. Can't quite place it anywhere.

Terek
01-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice melody in that song, what he is singing about.

Daimoxk it means fatherland it is a patriotic song about love among difficult times, that God gave us each morning each night and so on... Dzhabrailov I love his music

Terek
01-27-2012, 09:04 PM
eU9GWnw3bvI

Flintlocke
01-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Sounds ok, like Georgian. You still speak it or do most people speak Russian?

Arrow Cross
01-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Not bad, not bad.

It does indeed sound like a Slavic language spiced up with Arabic influence. Does it actually have many Arabic words, or they just sound similar?

Hurrem sultana
01-28-2012, 01:33 AM
kinda slavic

billErobreren
01-28-2012, 01:38 AM
sounds unlike anything I've heard though at times it sounds almost like Russian

It sounds like a mixture between Russian and a Middle Eastern language. But I guess I can appreciate it when a woman speaks it. Young women seem to be able to make even the most guttural sounding language sound nice and attractive.

^ but I can agree to that

Bloodraven
01-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Hearing it second time, it actually sound similar to German to me(dem gutturals).

:leaving:

Absinthe
01-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Sounds like a mix of Turkish and Russian ;)

Grumpy Cat
01-28-2012, 06:25 AM
I don't know what it sounds like, I've never heard a language similar.

Chechen is an isolate language, isn't it?

Cail
01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Doesn't sound even remoootely Slavic phonetically. It does have kinda Russian intonation patterns though (due to Chechens being exposed to Russian media). Also these are not the best examples, because it's mostly young people, who have a good chance of having Russian as a second native tongue. Thus they may have sort of a Russian accent in their Chechen. Real Caucasian phonetics is completely alien to Slavic, even when Chechens speak Russian their accent makes it close to non-intelligible.

Chechen is an isolate language, isn't it?
It's not. It is very closely related to Ingush (like Spanish and Portuguese), and less closely to the languages of Dagestan (of which there are plenty).

Terek
01-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Sounds ok, like Georgian. You still speak it or do most people speak Russian?

I speak it and my family we all speak it. Most people speak Russian and Chechen although some people are not literate in Chechen, Is my first language which I learned to speak and read and write before Russian, this is rare as most people used mostly Russian in schools.

Bozkurt_Karabash
01-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Sounds semitic + slavic as automatically identified. However closely it isn't like any. Turks on average don't like how that sounds.

Padre Organtino
01-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Sounds semitic + slavic as automatically identified. However closely it isn't like any. Turks on average don't like how that sounds.

How do you percieve other Caucasus languages like Circassian?

Bozkurt_Karabash
01-28-2012, 04:20 PM
How do you percieve other Caucasus languages like Circassian?

Georgian is the only one that sounds almost human to me.

Padre Organtino
01-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Georgian is the only one that sounds almost human to me.

Haha, have you heard Laz?

Bozkurt_Karabash
01-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Haha, have you heard Laz?

Never but I imagine it sounds like Georgian.

Mordid
01-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Agreed with posters from above, sound like a combo of Slavic and Middle Eastern.

Terek
01-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Why? I am not offended I am curious, you are not the first that said that Chechen is an ugly language. Most people who hear it who don't know it they don't like it. What is so ugly and inhuman?

Bozkurt_Karabash
01-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Why? I am not offended I am curious, you are not the first that said that Chechen is an ugly language. Most people who hear it who don't know it they don't like it. What is so ugly and inhuman?

Like arabic, those exaggerated gh kh bg xh xx oh annoy us.

Bloodraven
01-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Things that make a language rich and unique, you mean.

Terek
01-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Yeah, we've got the ċ, ġ, ċh, ẋ, q, q1 t1 and all these letters some are in Arabic. I would think Arabic alphabet is much better than Cyrillic for us except there is the problem with vowels. Latin alphabet as used in Ichkeria is best, now there is a problem that Cyrillic complicates everything and many people cannot write in Chechen :(

Hurrem sultana
01-28-2012, 05:30 PM
i dont think its ugly at all

i think chinese/japanese/korean sounds ugly,,and finnic :D those are the only ugly languages

Bloodraven
01-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, we've got the ċ, ġ, ċh, ẋ, q, q1 t1 and all these letters some are in Arabic. I would think Arabic alphabet is much better than Cyrillic for us except there is the problem with vowels. Latin alphabet as used in Ichkeria is best, now there is a problem that Cyrillic complicates everything and many people cannot write in Chechen :(

You guys should create a Cyrillic-Arabic hybrid alphabet.

Bozkurt_Karabash
01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Latin would be best for Vainakh language. Circassian would be better on Arabic has it has very limited vowels.

eviline
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
i think its quite similar georgian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxxkFWdFnM i like this song

eviline
02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Latin would be best for Vainakh language. Circassian would be better on Arabic has it has very limited vowels.

latin?vainaxs were used georgian alphabet but they changed i think that would be great georgian alphabet because its only one caucasian alphabet i think that all caucaisan speaking people must unite

Bozkurt_Karabash
02-04-2012, 06:45 PM
i think its quite similar georgian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxxkFWdFnM i like this song

Do you even speak Georgian?

rashka
02-04-2012, 06:50 PM
It sounds like Albanian.

XcCpzsZdoPo

eviline
02-04-2012, 07:15 PM
i am georgian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mP1v_ulJ5s georgian same man sings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxxkFWdFnM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL38B0156AF1B90D9B

Bozkurt_Karabash
02-04-2012, 07:17 PM
i am georgian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mP1v_ulJ5s georgian same man sings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxxkFWdFnM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL38B0156AF1B90D9B

Why is your Meta ethnicity Germanic and not Kartvelian?

Terek
02-04-2012, 07:25 PM
It sounds like Albanian.

XcCpzsZdoPo

Albanian sounds not at all like Chechen.

eviline
02-04-2012, 07:26 PM
i changed know :))))) i did not paid attention this
albanian looks like more latvian and a bit some words looks like italian

Terek
08-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Male speaking.
Don't even try to say it's Slavic:

zEejDYIX-8M

Onur
08-26-2012, 01:47 PM
It sounds to me like a mix of Albanian, Persian and Georgian.

Terek, can you say to me whats he saying from 2:03 to 2:09min? Buh balat be set... :)

I don't think this is an easy language to learn and speak.

Linet
08-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Sounds Russian that suddently they throw Arabic phrases in it :icon_ask:

Partizan
08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
It sounds like Georgian with German accent :)

Kilohertz
12-06-2012, 07:05 AM
I hear a good bit of Slavic influences, along with Georgian and maybe Turkish-esque qualities. It's a little smoother than Georgian, though. So awesome!

Illancha
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Anyone care to comment on how delicate female voices can make any language sound beautiful as per this video? Skip to 7:05 if you don't feel like watching the whole thing.

dLodoTaIHFw
I actually love my language. It is very expressive and concise at the same time. And it has plenty of subtleties which I feel are essential for artisitc manipulation.

bella1407
01-30-2013, 12:42 AM
disgusting.

Hurrem sultana
01-30-2013, 12:51 AM
It has a strong slavic sound

inactive_member
01-30-2013, 03:14 AM
I noticed a few times people identified similarities between Slavic and totally unrelated languages to Slavic. To me the Chechen language does not even remotely sound Slavic. If you want to hear a non-Slavic language sounds similar to Slavic, then listen to Lithuanian or Latvian.

Chechen sounds to me as a language from the Caucasus with similar sounds to the middle-eastern languages. Somewhat.

Hurrem sultana
01-30-2013, 03:41 AM
I noticed a few times people identified similarities between Slavic and totally unrelated languages to Slavic. To me the Chechen language does not even remotely sounds Slavic. If you want to hear a non-Slavic language sound similar to Slavic, then listen to Lithuanian or Latvian.

Chechen sounds to me as a language from the Caucasus with similar sounds to the middle-eastern languages. Somewhat.

I am sure it does not sound slavic to russians,but us outsiders it sounds,to me it sounds like a slavic language that i cant understand

inactive_member
01-30-2013, 03:59 AM
I am sure it does not sound slavic to russians,but us outsiders it sounds,to me it sounds like a slavic language that i cant understand

I am not sure who you are referring to as ‘outsiders’ but as someone who can read and understand 4 Slavic languages I cannot hear the similarities between Slavic and Chechen.

Hurrem sultana
01-30-2013, 04:02 AM
I am not sure who you are referring to as ‘outsiders’ but as someone who can read and understand 4 Slavic languages I cannot hear the similarities between Slavic and Chechen.

people that are in no touch with chechens whatsover,like i have never heard chechen live

thats outsider

people that are learned in langauges find it harder to "see similar sound",that is at least very well known

inactive_member
01-30-2013, 04:07 AM
people that are in no touch with chechens whatsover,like i have never heard chechen live

thats outsider

people that are learned in langauges find it harder to "see similar sound",that is at least very well known

I was never exposed to the Chechen language. It's not the language that is commonly is spoken across eastern Europe.

We can find such outsiders who will hear the similarities between Slavic and Finnic language. Between Armenian and Portuguese. Between Mongolian and Japanese. The truth is the Slavic languages and the Chechen language are not even remotely similar. But if you hear the similarities...:)

iNird
01-30-2013, 04:11 AM
They have interesting folklore. :)

I think it sounds like a hybrid of Slavic with some Turkish with some german. :D

Vulcho
01-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Doesn't sound very Slavic to me. More like Turkish/Arabic. Probably Persian too, but I'm not familiar with Persian. Of course it sounds most similar to other Caucasian languages such as Georgian.
It sounds a bit evil to me. Like a language the bad guys in some movie will be speaking.

Pontios
01-30-2013, 07:11 AM
Doesn't sound very Slavic to me. More like Turkish/Arabic. Probably Persian too, but I'm not familiar with Persian. Of course it sounds most similar to other Caucasian languages such as Georgian.
It sounds a bit evil to me. Like a language the bad guys in some movie will be speaking.

Western propaganda. :lol:

Baldur
01-30-2013, 07:18 AM

I think it sounds like a hybrid of Slavic with some Turkish with some german. :D

Agreed with this ^

Illancha
01-30-2013, 07:23 AM
disgusting.
Wow! Harsh words.

It sounds a bit evil to me. Like a language the bad guys in some movie will be speaking
Haha! Well Chechens have already been depicted as the bad guys in several movies.

Many people have told me that it sounds Slavic, but I really cannot see any similarity, maybe because I am a speaker and can therefore easily tell the difference. Also, it is an indigenious language so in its pure form, the way I speak it, it really has no outside influences.

Illancha
03-16-2013, 01:38 PM
I found an audiobook, I actually found an audiobook in Chechen. How awesome is that! This is what proper Chechen sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO0JPUJucu4

Planpincieux
03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Somewhat semitic. Sounds like a blend of Hebrew, Turkish + some odd central african and Japanese influence.

Hardly any slavic in it.

baraSYR
03-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Your name is Terek and you are Caucasian ! Terek Cossaks were always in the state of war with caucasians.

Szegedist
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Like a mixture between Semitic and Albanian. It sounds quite ancient too.

Illancha
03-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Your name is Terek and you are Caucasian ! Terek Cossaks were always in the state of war with caucasians.
Terek is the name of one of our rivers in Chechnya.

baraSYR
03-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Terek is the name of one of our rivers in Chechnya.

ohh :picard1:

rashka
04-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Sounds nothing like Slavic. It sounds something like a mix of Japanese and Armenian and some Arabic.

http://youtu.be/r4q9aeAqYEM

Minde
04-27-2013, 04:05 PM
sounds like boston bombing :)

rashka
04-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Albanian sounds not at all like Chechen.

It does. Even Onur spotted it and I agree with his answer. There is some Persian/Armenian element to it - in the accents of the Chechen words.

Look at these Albanian videos- listen to their accent and listen to the above video of the Chechen teacher. Amazingly similar yet I am not surprised.

http://youtu.be/wRd8Fi_WiHo

http://youtu.be/LaLqGy2GdF0

Kastrioti1443
04-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Chechen sounds totally like serbian, these explains the origin of serbs, but partially, because they iranians in true origin.

Illancha
04-27-2013, 06:26 PM
It does. Even Onur spotted it and I agree with his answer. There is some Persian/Armenian element to it - in the accents of the Chechen words.

Chechen sounds totally like serbian, these explains the origin of serbs, but partially, because they iranians in true origin.
Oh dear! You guys are making me laugh.

Albanian actually sounds like French or Italian to me.

Issy
04-27-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm not quite sure really, like a mix of Russian and Arabic? with a pinch of French perhaps..

rashka
04-27-2013, 06:45 PM
You sound like a bloody troll. Go back to Chechnya where you belong. Those are your true FIS brothers.

Kastrioti1443
04-27-2013, 06:49 PM
You sound like a bloody troll. Go back to Chechnya where you belong. Those are your true FIS brothers.

An iranian nigger like you can not tell the lord of the land to go away. In 20 years you mongrels will go back in Iran or will be smelted. You don't have much choices.

No one has forgotten.

meAyin-sixteen
04-27-2013, 08:10 PM
lt sounds beautiful,,, a language from another planet. Those weird, emphasised voices... Almost like Arabic!:)

P.s.

l should say Apache Arabic:)

Ushtari
04-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Chechen has obvious Slavic element to it wich automatically makes it closer sounding to Serbian than Albanian.

turunian
08-24-2013, 02:24 AM

you're trolling

Imamudin
03-27-2015, 04:14 PM

It's more the Albanian language that sounds like Turkish and Italian mixed.

Raphacam
03-30-2015, 04:39 AM
When I was thinking about learning Chechen and people asked me about it, I said it was about a "Frenchman speaking bad Georgian".

The language sounds sweet, a characteristic I wouldn't attribute to most Caucasian languages. Probably because of rounded frontal vowels.