PDA

View Full Version : Everything you would like to know about Italy

Foxy
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Ask anything about history, cuisine, mentality, fashion, geography, whatever about Italy that you would like to know or to clarify and we Italians will answer.

Amapola
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Is/was Rafaela Carrá big in Italy? She was big here in Spain, well Italian singers have always been popular in Spain.

Aces High
01-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Why wasnt Mussolini mentioned in the recent 150 years of Italian history anniversary..?

Also was Roberto Straccia murdered or was it suicide.....in your opinion.

Foxy
01-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Is/was Rafaela Carrá big in Italy? She was big here in Spain, well Italian singers have always been popular in Spain.

Raffaella Carrŕ, as she is known in Italy, is still very popular. She was a dancer showgirl and a singer. Now she is TV host and writer. She has born in 1943.
Raffaella today

http://static2.oggi.it/wp-content/blogs.dir/8/files/raffaella-carra-torna-in-tv-su-canale-5-te-la-ricordi-comera/milestone-ed-00l7l2.jpg?v=1323690048

Foxy
01-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Why wasnt Mussolini mentioned in the recent 150 years of Italian history anniversary..?

The answer is here:

http://www.giornalettismo.com/archives/122555/perche-manca-mussolini-dalle-celebrazioni-per-il-150esimo-dellunita-ditalia/

It was decided to don't speak about Mussolini in this occasion because by mentionying him it was like celebrating Fascism. Anyway Storace, an Italian politician, has criticized this decision.
----------------------
Roberto Straccia, in my opinion, was mudered, but there aren't proofs about it, so it's just my 6th sense to speak. I am not a detective so my opinion doesn't count.

Peyrol
01-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Ottima idea aprire questo thread, Veleda.

Siberyak
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Can someone translate this for me?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVU7pUdCa7Q&feature=related

Peyrol
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Can someone translate this for me?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVU7pUdCa7Q&feature=related

This is the massive protest/strike against Monti government (and EU) that in these days is exploded in Sicily, but is rapidly spreading throughout the rest of the peninsula, especially in south/centre.

gold_fenix
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
sometime i taste a kind of pastes or crackers earthy and hard made ​​with limoncello but i don't remember his name, but I loved it

Peyrol
01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
sometime i taste a kind of pastes or crackers earthy and hard made ​​with limoncello but i don't remember his name, but I loved it

Cantucci?

http://www.piazzadellenotizie.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cantucci.jpg

Siberyak
01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
This is the massive protest/strike against Monti government (and EU) that in these days is exploded in Sicily, but is rapidly spreading throughout the rest of the peninsula, especially in south/centre.

How do you think this will end?

beaver
01-27-2012, 01:40 PM
What is the right pasta Italians eat in the everyday life?
:)

Aces High
01-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Roberto Straccia, in my opinion, was mudered, but there aren't proofs about it, so it's just my 6th sense to speak. I am not a detective so my opinion doesn't count.

Mmmm...interesting because thats what all my friends from Pescara think too.

They say unpaid drug debts or debts by his father.

Flintlocke
01-27-2012, 02:55 PM
What was the meaning of le fiamme nere on the Arditi uniform?

gold_fenix
01-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Cantucci?

http://www.piazzadellenotizie.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cantucci.jpg

the texture is that, but it have a slight flavor to lemon (limoncello) and it was round, his form is as this
http://www.cuisine4you.es/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/polvorones.jpg

TheBorrebyViking
01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
If I learn standard Italian, I'll be able to talk to most Italians easily(outside of napoli) right? I'm assuming most of them don't have bad dialects.

Peyrol
01-27-2012, 06:36 PM
How do you think this will end?

I don't know...yesterday in Rome police has beated the protesters... is shaping up a long season of protests

If I learn standard Italian, I'll be able to talk to most Italians easily(outside of napoli) right? I'm assuming most of them don't have bad dialects.

Yes, with standard italian you could speak everywhere.

BTW, if during your learning you have any questions or concerns, please ask me... you may also take advantage of the Italian section of Apricity to improve the language knowlege :D

TheBorrebyViking
01-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't know...yesterday in Rome police has beated the protesters... is shaping up a long season of protests

Yes, with standard italian you could speak everywhere.

BTW, if during your learning you have any questions or concerns, please ask me... you may also take advantage of the Italian section of Apricity to improve the language knowlege :D

Thanks for being so helpful with everything :D

Peyrol
01-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for being so helpful with everything :D

La lingua italiana non č cosě difficile come molti anglosassoni pensano, questo č sicuro. Melodica, musicale e piena di poesia.

Start now :D

beaver
01-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for being so helpful with everything
Well, but what about good formula for pasta? This Italian promised to explain everything.

Peyrol
01-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Well, but what about good formula for pasta? This Italian promised to explain everything.

There are about 250 different types of pasta and equal number of recipes for cooking it.

Be more specific :D

Foxy
01-28-2012, 12:36 PM

Maybe this? Amaretti al limone (lemon flavoured amaretti)

http://www.degustaci.it/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/330x330/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/m/amaretti_al_limone.jpg

They are southern Italian so I don't know very well what you are spaking about.

It depends on the region and of the taste of people. I myself eat mostly carbonara (pasta with egg, pepper and bacon), pasta with ragů (tomato sauce and meat) or pasta with broccoli, or better, orecchiette with broccoli.

http://facileblog.it/files/7/files/2011/01/orecchiete_broccoli.jpg

Mmmm...interesting because thats what all my friends from Pescara think too.

They say unpaid drug debts or debts by his father.

I was thinking more about mafia actually.

What type of pasta?
Some generic suggestions are:
- use pasta De Cecco, it's the most expensive but also the best, unless you want to make pasta at home. I know that it is exported also abroad so...

http://www.dececco.it/IT/Catalogo-Prodotti/

-add COARSE salt (not table salt) when the water is boiling and then pasta
-if you are making pasta with some vegetable, cook the pasta in the same water where you are boiling the vegetables: this way the pasta will absorb the flavour (and the vitamines) of the vegetables.

Foxy
01-28-2012, 12:40 PM
^^^ FOLLOWING

HOW TO RECOGNIZE IF THE BRAND OF PASTA YOU ARE USING IS BAD?

If when boiling or after having boiled the pasta it breaks, it is not a good brand. ;)

Foxy
01-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Yes, if you study Italian you will be understood everywhere in the peninsula and in Tessin too (Italian canton of Switzerland). Everyone studies Italian at school, most people learn standard Italian as first language and a lot of dialects are going to die because none speaks or teaches them anymore. So, it will be very difficult for you to meet people speaking pure dialect. But regional accents survive and vary from region to region (even from city to city). However, if you learn Italian in school, very probably they will teach you correct Italian (without regional accent).

AR89
01-29-2012, 03:58 PM
There isn't, most commons are tortiglioni and spaghetti with a simple tomato sauce.
Remember to not overcook the pasta!

What was the meaning of le fiamme nere on the Arditi uniform?

The color black was used for the common Arditi, the flames colour changed to distinguish the troops (Alpini, Bersaglieri...)

Italian is the main language, everyone speaks and understand italian (even Napolitan people). Where I live (and I think in other regions), people who speaks dialect in everyday life are regarded as ignorant, usually only the most poor or very old people speak dialect.
Parents don't want their children to speak dialect (at least where I live) and it is forbidden in school (this is true everywhere in Italy).

Damiăo de Góis
01-29-2012, 04:17 PM
I have a question about Italy's unification. I understand it's relatively recent. My question is about languages. How did it went from this to everyone speaking Italian. How different were these languages and if this was an easy and quick process, to make everyone speak Italian.

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/history/italian_risorgimento_unification_map.gif

SaxonCeorl
01-29-2012, 04:26 PM
1. How often does the average Italian drink wine?

2. What is the most common brand of car in Italy?

3. What does the average Italian think about all of the North African refugees flooding into the country? I know everybody on this forum hates it, but what does the average Italian think?

Peyrol
01-29-2012, 04:42 PM
I have a question about Italy's unification. I understand it's relatively recent. My question is about languages. How did it went from this to everyone speaking Italian. How different were these languages and if this was an easy and quick process, to make everyone speak Italian.

Standard italian was the "lingua franca" between all the italian states from 1400, and was chosen for this reason. Complete italianization fo the peninsula, however, happened only in the fascist era, from 1922 to 1935-38 circa.

Sabaudian court of Piemont-Sardegna originally use piedmonteis and french languages.

AR89
01-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Already in the Renaissance italian was the language of the entire peninsula for written language.

Educated people from all over the peninsula used italian to write.

The spoken dialects were very different, a neapolitan couldn't understand a milanese (but this is not true for all the dialects, some are really close to italian).
At the moment of the unification only the 2.5% of the population could speak italian (is a very debated percentage).
With the unification, tanks to radio, the two WW, television, and school, italian became the most spoken language. It was a very quick process but, I don't know why.

Today people which speak exclusively italian with strangers are 72%, and 45% with the family.

3. What does the average Italian think about all of the North African refugees flooding into the country? I know everybody on this forum hates it, but what does the average Italian think?
1 It's difficult to say, I think at lunch and at supper (especially at the latter).

2 FIAT, 100% sure.

3 Almost impossible to say, some thinks that they have the right to come and find a job, other just hate them.

Albion
01-29-2012, 04:53 PM
What are Italian opinions on Corsica, Malta and the Italian areas of Switzerland? Should they be part of Italy?
Did Italy attempt to settle Libya with Italians to eventually incorporate it into Italy as France was trying to do with Algeria?
What do Italians think about the status of the Vatican and San Marino? Why wasn't San Marino incorporated into Italy?

Peyrol
01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
What are Italian opinions on Corsica, Malta and the Italian areas of Switzerland? Should they be part of Italy?
Did Italy attempt to settle Libya with Italians to eventually incorporate it into Italy as France was trying to do with Algeria?
What do Italians think about the status of the Vatican and San Marino? Why wasn't San Marino incorporated into Italy?

1) In my opinion, they are. With Istria and Nizza.
2) Italians were 23% of Lybian population in 1939 (48% of Tripoli), and the provinces of Tripoli, Derna and Benghazi were considered part of metropolitan Italy
3) San Marino is the oldest european state (founded in 331 A.D.), should rest independent.

Foxy
01-30-2012, 06:56 AM

1. It depends, usually a glass of red wine is considered to be wholesome for the heart and the cardiac system, so some Italians drink just a glass of red wine a day. Usually during the meals there is wine on the table (sometimes also beer) but we don't abuse, limiting to 1-2 glasses (only adults, because usually young people prefer beer).
2. F.I.A.T.
3. The avarage Italian thinks that we should make serious laws to limit or control the immigration, no matter from where immigrants are (actually Italian laws are pretty rigid, but we always think that our things should be improved).

1. Corsica should, Malta not because it has nothing to do with Italy. Neither Switzerland in my opinion, as Switzerland born because 3 regions (an Italian, a German and a French once) spontaniously united for commercial purposes. It is a league and should be respected as such.
2. Italy shared with Germany the idea that we needed a vital space, because the population of Italy was too big compared to the ground, so we needed colonies where to send farmers. This way the Italian State would have saved thousands of families from the misery and would have made other territories richer and more prosperous. These territories would be eventually culturally Italianized (this was a fascist thing).
Note that after the war, when we lost colonies, many people had to leave their country the same, but not as colons but as migrants, so the theory makes sense.
3. I agree with Tribuno about San Marino. The Vatican is an other story. I'd like to see priests having less power in Italy, but deleting the Vatican would be a very historical loss. Besides it is impossible because there are agreements between the State of Italy and the Vatican.

Peyrol
01-30-2012, 09:37 AM
In orange: Metropolitan Italy in 1940
In green: italian territories/provinces/colonies/depandances

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/GreaterItalia.jpg/400px-GreaterItalia.jpg

Peyrol
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM

Anyway...pennette

http://www.moldrek.com/immagini/pennette_rigate.jpg

Maccheroni rigati (called also "Rigatoni")

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-T864h3_tucE/Tamus3nLVpI/AAAAAAAACio/Lw7B8IzE3Vk/s1600/maccheroni1.jpg

And spaghetti

http://www.tentoricarni.it/home/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/spaghetti_49c4ae9884b38.jpg

Aces High
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Parents don't want their children to speak dialect (at least where I live) and it is forbidden in school (this is true everywhere in Italy).

Not in Sardegna...;)

Libertas
01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
In Northern Italy, Emilia northwards, use of the local vernacular is seen as the mark of the uneducated or of Lega Nord supporters in the sticks.

Magyar the Conqueror
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Also was Roberto Straccia murdered or was it suicide.....in your opinion.

Mussolini wasn't mentioned because he was actually a competent leader-ish.

Aces High
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Who's going to win this years "Isola dei famosi"....?

Peyrol
01-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Who's going to win this years "Isola dei famosi"....?

Mario Monti :laugh:

Albion
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
What is the English language like for Italians and what do you folks think about England and the UK?
What's with the argumentative stereotype portrayed on American TV, is it wrong, partially true or only confined to certain regions?
Do most Italians support the Euro or wish to return to the Lira?
What is the current situation in Italy? A bit of a generalisation here, but how's life for most people?

AR89
02-03-2012, 06:56 PM
What is the English language like for Italians and what do you folks think about England and the UK?
What's with the argumentative stereotype portrayed on American TV, is it wrong, partially true or only confined to certain regions?
Do most Italians support the Euro or wish to return to the Lira?
What is the current situation in Italy? A bit of a generalisation here, but how's life for most people?

Is not very difficult to learn english, is a very simple language. Our italian language teachers think that is a poor language compared to italian (I don't know why).

England for italians is a country with very polite people, but not really friendly, we think that english food is disgusting and we don't really like your weather.

The stereotype portrayed on American TV is wrong: first of all italian american are not italian at all (usually), they have nothing of our culture, they are american. There are people in certain areas wich are really like the characters portrayed by movies such as The Godfather, or Gomorra.

My impression is that italians doesn't want to get out of the UE, but have some nostalgia of the Lira.

Life is more or less like in the rest of europe, our economic is not really bad, but we need to get out of this situation.

Albion
02-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Our italian language teachers think that is a poor language compared to italian (I don't know why).

They're just jealous. ;)

England for italians is a country with very polite people, but not really friendly,

Fair enough.

we think that english food is disgusting and we don't really like your weather.

http://okayface.com/okay-face.jpg

You should see how some of your cuisine has been ruined over here.

The stereotype portrayed on American TV is wrong: first of all italian american are not italian at all (usually), they have nothing of our culture, they are american. There are people in certain areas wich are really like the characters portrayed by movies such as The Godfather, or Gomorra.

A lot of people say the Italian Americans are largely Sicilian. I suppose they're different from you like the English Americans are from us.

My impression is that italians doesn't want to get out of the UE, but have some nostalgia of the Lira.

I see. I don't think the EU is bad in theory, it's just gone way beyond what it was meant to do in a very inefficient and interfering fashion.

Life is more or less like in the rest of europe, our economic is not really bad, but we need to get out of this situation.

Same here, there's a good few years of misery ahead.

Libertas
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
The old Italian Lira was a bit cumbersome...over 2,000 to ONE pound sterling.

Che vergogna!

Albion
02-04-2012, 01:47 PM
The old Italian Lira was a bit cumbersome...over 2,000 to ONE pound sterling.

Che vergogna!

I always thought it was a decent currency, how did it have a such a rubbish exchange rate?

AR89
02-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I always thought it was a decent currency, how did it have a such a rubbish exchange rate?

Because all of our past governors were only capable of "pouring" (I don't know the excat word) money into the market to solve our economics problems.

Regarding the previous question:
yes a lot are Sicilians, but Sicilians are not like that "italian" american.

I've been in your country, I know our food is like abroad (sadly), but I appreciate your "cuisine", if cooked properly. (I don't understand why do you have to boil those poor vegetables for that long).

Albion
02-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Because all of our past governors were only capable of "pouring" (I don't know the excat word) money into the market to solve our economics problems.

There's many names for it, usually nicer-sounding ones thought up by politicians.

I've been in your country, I know our food is like abroad (sadly), but I appreciate your "cuisine", if cooked properly. (I don't understand why do you have to boil those poor vegetables for that long).

Always a critic. ;)

Peyrol
02-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Sorry for my albionic friends but...english food is insipid and tasteless...(IMHO)

Aces High
02-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Sorry for my albionic friends but...english food is insipid and tasteless...(IMHO)

Say what you want about our food....but just dont fuck with the puddings ok.

Peyrol
02-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Say what you want about our food....but just dont fuck with the puddings ok.

About english sweets, i very like these two (but i don't know the name)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1li5j-b_K97yr5zp2tZHEDXxR7Hl6Kl7U7w6pziNscF8XEy1WoW9eIhn w

http://www.foodexpressed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/c-cake_cake.jpg

Albion
02-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, black forest gateau is horrible, not because it tastes bad but because it is far too rich IMO. The most I can ever have is a tiny slice of it, I don't buy it.

Peyrol
02-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah, black forest gateau is horrible, not because it tastes bad but because it is far too rich IMO. The most I can ever have is a tiny slice of it, I don't buy it.

Too rich?

You've never eat this italian Christmas sweet...this is definitely TOO rich!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9bzuodW1W-g/TOj1Hl5Y1yI/AAAAAAAAFQ4/-XVKqIP4hm8/s1600/IMG_1109-Torta.JPG

http://ilcuocoincasa.sitiwebs.com/attachments/Image/pandoro_%281%29.jpg

Aces High
02-04-2012, 04:33 PM
The one on the top looks like some Mr kiplings cherry cake and the one on the bottom looks like some sort of carrot cake.

Im talking about treacle tart and spotted dick (no Argyle...dont start packing your bags yet...its a pudding).........rhubarb and custard and steamed honey puddings with custard and cream etc etc.

Albion
02-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Too rich?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9bzuodW1W-g/TOj1Hl5Y1yI/AAAAAAAAFQ4/-XVKqIP4hm8/s1600/IMG_1109-Torta.JPG

Yeah, but just look at the Black Forest Gateau, it's as if they've just put everything on it! :eek: :bullet puke

http://lacreme.typepad.co.uk/photos/baked_cakes/black-forest-gateau.jpg
That's why you don;t see too many skinny Germans. ;)

rhubarb and custard and steamed honey puddings with custard and cream etc etc.

Rhubarb and custard is great, I haven't had that since I was a lad. Simple things like that are the nicest.

Aces High
02-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Too rich?

Quite bland imo,pandoro just done up a bit....give me a baked apple any day with all those currents in the middle and brown sugar on top.

Damiăo de Góis
02-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I know it has been snowing in Italy in the last days. In average winters where is it normal to have snow? Po Valley?

askra
02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
I know it has been snowing in Italy in the last days. In average winters where is it normal to have snow? Po Valley?

snow is normal everywhere in Italy on the mountain ranges and in the inland highlands, southern italy and islands included, infact you will find ski resorts even in Sardinia and along all the Apennine Mountains, from Ligury to Calabria.
also on the Mount Etna and Nebrodi range in Sicily snowfalls are common and normal in winter.

Damiăo de Góis
02-04-2012, 05:28 PM
snow is normal everywhere in Italy on the mountain ranges and in the inland highlands, southern italy and islands included, infact you will find ski resorts even in Sardinia and along all the Apennine Mountains, from Ligury to Calabria.
also on the Mount Etna and Nebrodi range in Sicily snowfalls are common and normal in winter.

Yes but i wasn't asking about mountain areas.

askra
02-04-2012, 05:42 PM

in the west part of Po Valley, where the climate is more continental, and so more rigid, snowfalls are more common,
and on the Adriatic coasts where there is a cooler climate than the west, snowfalls are not rare at sea level.

Peyrol
02-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Here (Piemont-Valle D'Aosta) winter snow is common.
Yesterday night we were -15° C

Damiăo de Góis
02-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Here (Piemont-Valle D'Aosta) winter snow is common.
Yesterday night we were -15° C

Yes, i thought Torino was higher so i wasn't counting with it. But it's only at 239 m.

Peyrol
02-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Yes, i thought Torino was higher so i wasn't counting with it. But it's only at 239 m.

Yes, but look the geographical position

http://digilander.libero.it/duecuoriunacapanna/02_f_cartina_piemonte.jpg

20-30 minutes of car from the Alpes (less than 1 hour from France), with Po, Dora and Stura rivers in the city and with the "Colline del Po" at east...as we say, "siamo in una zona umida".
Very bad climate.

AR89
02-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Snow is very common everywhere in Italy, I think is less common in Sicily (the not mountain areas), and generally on the coast.

Even in the not mountain areas of Calabria and Campania snow is very common (again, I'm not talking about the coast).

Apart from Sicily winter is not winter without the snow.

Richard
02-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Too much snow by our standards this winter.Look at Rome.:(