PDA

View Full Version : Latvian ties with the Nordic countries.

Waidewut
01-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Brief, concentrated info.

Latvia has a long history of political, economical and cultural relations with the Nordic countries. During the Viking Age the indigenous tribes of present-day Latvia - the Baltic Couronians, Semigallians, Latgallians and Finnic Livs - both fought and traded with Scandinavian Vikings. The chief items of barter were bees-wax, furs, amber and silver. The Vikings travelled their so-called Eastern route, across the Baltic Sea, along the Daugava and Dnieper rivers and across the Black Sea towards Constantinople. The seafaring Couronians ("Latvian Vikings") from Courland and the Oeselians ("Estonian Vikings") from Saaremaa battled the Scandinavian Vikings and raided their lands. In 1187 they pillaged and sacked Sigtuna, by that time Sweden's largest and richest city. People in Denmark prayed: "save us Our God from the Couronian pirates". The Couronians participated in the Battle of Bråvalla on Swedish side against the Danes. Courland (or Kurland) and the Couronians (or Kurs) are mentioned in the Old Norse sagas, such as the Heimskringla and Egill Skallagrímsson's saga. Seeburg (now Grobiņa near Liepāja) was a Scandinavian settlement in Courland. Weapons, ornaments and large cemeteries of mixed Baltic and Viking character prove Swedes and Gotlanders were dwelling among the native population. Boats of the Couronians and Vikings were similar in construction and decoration. It is thought that in this age loanwords were adopted, like lord or king: in Swedish kung, Latvian kungs and Danish konung.

The Northern Crusades, undertaken by the kings of Denmark and Sweden and German Livonian and Teutonic military orders, brought Christianity to the pagan tribes of Latvia. The Reformation brought Protestant Lutheranism. Between 1560-1585 the Bishopric of Courland belonged to king Frederick II of Denmark, his brother Magnus of Holstein lived and died at Piltene. Between 1561-1721 the Duchy of Livonia, which constituted the southern part of modern Estonia and northern part of modern Latvia, became Swedish Livonia, a dominion of the Swedish Empire. These times became known as "the good Swedish period", although the local Baltic German upper class kept their strong political, economical and cultural dominance over the peasant people. Alongside Finns and Estonians, Latvians fought with the Swedes in the Thirty Years' War against the Holy Roman Empire. Livonia, Sweden and Gothland were part of the same Hanseatic League trading chamber, with first Visby and later Riga as its chief city. Duke Jacob (1642-1682) of Courland leased iron and copper mines in Norway to support ship building and global seafaring. The flags of Ventspils, Cēsis and Alūksne bear a Nordic cross. Like other Northern Europeans the Latvians celebrate Midsummer solistice and St. Johns Day.

An ethnic-linguistic minority of Latvia are the Finnic Livs. The Liv people are indigenous inhabitants of present-day Latvia and ancient Livonia. The nearly extinct Liv language is a Baltic-Finnic language related to Estonian, Finnish, Karelian, Veps and Votic. Researchers believe about 15,000-28,000 Livs to have lived in the 12th century. In 2011 there were 180 registered Livs in Latvia and about 30 native speakers in the world. The Livonian Coast (Livonian: Līvõd Rānda) in Northern Courland is a protected area encompassing twelve Livonian villages. The Liv Peoples House (Livonian: Līvõd Rovkuodā) is located in the Livonian village of Mazirbe (Livonian: Irē) and the Liv Culture Center (Livonian: Līvõ Kultūr Sidām) in Riga. The Liv language is taught in universities in Latvia, Estonia and Finland.

Since the early 1990s Latvia takes part in Nordic-Baltic cooperation (NB8: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden), for which former Latvian Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Valdis Birkavs and former Danish Minister of Defence Søren Gade wrote the 2010 NB8 Wise Men Report. The NB6 (Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) is a framework for meetings on EU related issues. On August 30, 2011 the Nordic and Baltic countries signed an agreement on diplomatic cooperation. Latvia also cooperates with the Nordic countries within the Council of the Baltic Sea States and the European Union's Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region. The Nordic Council has an office in Riga and Latvia is a member of the Nordic Investment Bank. The Nordic countries are among the most important trading partners of Latvia.
Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_countries#Latvia)

Many will think of this as troll thread, which it is not. This is only an informative thread consisting of info about the history and culture of my country and people.

In no way I am expressing my personal opinion about the topic: Latvians/ Latvia are Nordic, by making this thread. I am just providing people who are interested with facts/information.

Äike
01-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I'll just mention one thing.

Those "Curonian vikings" were actually Livonians, the native inhabitants, who were all living on coast. A lot of maritime terms have come to the Baltic languages also from Finnic. They were Curonians only in the sense that they were from Curonia.

It is said that the Estonians of Saaremaa and the Livonians living 30km south of them were more similar to each other than the Estonians of Saaremaa were to other Estonians. The Estonians and Livonians also made joint raids against the Baltic tribes.

Estonians from Saaremaa and Balts working together is an oxymoron. There's also the obvious language barrier.

If you just look at the archeological data from 1000 years ago, there's an obvious trend, Livonians were assimilated inland, but they continued to have a foothold in the coast until the 20th century.

The Baltic Curonians were inland people.

This Latvian claim on Finnic history is rather obscure, unless Latvians consider the Livonians to be the same people as the Baltic Curonians.

Waidewut
01-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Those "Curonian vikings" were actually Livonians, the native inhabitants, who were all living on coast. A lot of maritime terms have come to the Baltic languages also from Finnic. They were Curonians only in the sense that they were from Curonia.

It is said that the Estonians of Saaremaa and the Livonians living 30km south of them were more similar to each other than the Estonians of Saaremaa were to other Estonians. The Estonians and Livonians also made joint raids against the Baltic tribes.

Estonians from Saaremaa and Balts working together is an oxymoron. There's also the obvious language barrier.

If you just look at the archeological data from 1000 years ago, there's an obvious trend, Livonians were assimilated inland, but they continued to have a foothold in the coast until the 20th century.

The Baltic Curonians were inland people.

This Latvian claim on Finnic history is rather obscure, unless Latvians consider the Livonians to be the same people as the Baltic Curonians.

Here is an oxymoron:
Scandinavians named the peninsula of Courland after the recent immigrants-Baltic Couronians, and not the native Finnic Livonians with whom they were supposed to have had really large interaction.

Äike
01-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Here is an oxymoron:
Scandinavians name the peninsula of Courland after the recent immigrants-Baltic Couronians, and not the native Finnic Livonians with whom they were supposed to have had really large interaction.

If you look at a map of Livonian settlement, then you can see that the Livonians separated the Estonians of Saaremaa from the Balts.

Are you saying that the people of Saaremaa completely ignored the closest people to them, sailed past them and started working together with the enemies of the people who were closest to them?

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

As I said, look at old archeological data, although if you can think logically and know history, then that isn't even necessary.

Waidewut
01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
If you look at a map of Livonian settlement, then you can see that the Livonians separated the Estonians of Saaremaa from the Balts.

Are you saying that the people of Saaremaa completely ignored the closest people to them, sailed past them and started working together with the enemies of the people who were closest to them?

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

As I said, look at old archeological data, although if you can think logically and know history, then that isn't even necessary.

It would make more sense, if you just stated the Curonian-Oeselian cooperation didn't exist, not denying the whole commonly accepted historical theory about the Baltic vikings.
Even if there were no Baltic Curonians raiding Sigtuna, it does not cancel out the activities in Gotland and Denmark.

Äike
01-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Even if there were no Baltic Curonians raiding Sigtuna, it does not cancel out the activities in Gotland and Denmark.

As I said, Livonians were living on the coast, the Curonians were inland. What did they do? Build their ships 40km inland, fight their way to the coast while carrying the ship, setting sail to Gotland and then fighting back to their homeland through 40km of Livonians?

People who don't inhabit on the coast, can't be seafarers.

The Lawspeaker
01-30-2012, 05:50 PM
One word: Dorestad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorestad).

Waidewut
01-30-2012, 06:02 PM
As I said, Livonians were living on the coast, the Curonians were inland. What did they do? Build their ships 40km inland, fight their way to the coast while carrying the ship, setting sail to Gotland and then fighting back to their homeland through 40km of Livonians?

Tribes of the Baltic region 5th to 10th century.
Kurši= Coronians aka Baltic vikings

http://visc.gov.lv/saturs/vispizgl/metmat/vesture_6_9/images/kar111.jpg

The Ripper
01-30-2012, 06:05 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curonians

Äike
01-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Tribes of the Baltic region 5th to 10th century.
Kurši= Coronians aka Baltic vikings

http://visc.gov.lv/saturs/vispizgl/metmat/vesture_6_9/images/kar111.jpg

Your map is faulty. The Livonians inhabited the coast also in the Zemgali area and the Zemgalians were also inland people.

Back then, you could walk, following the coastline, from the western shore of the Curonian peninsula to Southern-Estonia, while only seeing Livonians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curonians

I have read that Wikipedia article, but that doesn't mean that it is correct.

Most historical sources say that the "Curonians" and Estonians worked together. But Estonians and the Livonians made joint attack against the real Baltic Curonians and the "Curonian vikings" doing all the raids together with the Estonians were Livonians inhabiting the Curonian peninsula.

There is a reason, why maritime terms in Latvian come from Livonian.

Waidewut
01-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Your map is faulty. The Livonians inhabited the coast also in the Zemgali area and the Zemgalians were also inland people.

Back then, you could walk, following the coastline, from the western shore of the Curonian peninsula to Southern-Estonia, while only seeing Livonians.
Yes, but this is irrelevant to the distribution of the Curonians, who have lived by the sea from the 5th century.

Most historical sources say that the "Curonians" and Estonians worked together. But Estonians and the Livonians made joint attack against the real Baltic Curonians and the "Curonian vikings" doing all the raids together with the Estonians were Livonians inhabiting the Curonian peninsula.

Latvian is based on the ancient East-Baltic Latgal language, and they indeed were inland people, who took the maritime terms from the Livonians.
West Baltic Curonians probably had their own terms related to the sea, before they were assimilated by the Latgal language based Latvians.

The Ripper
01-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Do you have any proof that the Curonians mentioned in for example Danish chronicles weren't Baltic? The general consensus is that they were.

Laudanum
01-30-2012, 07:20 PM
One word: Dorestad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorestad).

Guess who lives there.:D

The Lawspeaker
01-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Guess who lives there.:D
Aye ! :D That's you, mate !

Laudanum
01-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Aye ! :D That's you, mate !

:thumb001:

Äike
01-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Do you have any proof that the Curonians mentioned in for example Danish chronicles weren't Baltic?

It is often mentioned that the Curonians and the Estonians worked together if making bigger raids.

Around the time when most of these raids occurred, Livonians were the dominant seafaring people in modern-day Latvia. They lived on the coastline running from western Curonia, through Riga, to the Estonian coast. All the bigger trade centers in modern-day Latvia were also purely Livonian, as the Livonians inhabited the coast and the trade centers were at the coast.

The Estonian vikings of Saaremaa often made business like this: They went to Livonia, bought goods that had been brought from the east or the south and then sailed to Scandinavia to sell it. Or the other way around, they raided Sweden or Denmark and sold the goods either in Gotland(Gotland had "non-aggression pact" with the Estonians back then, that meant that they benefited from the increased trade and they didn't have to afraid of Estonian raids) or Livonia.

Livonians had been seafaring people for ages and were very similar to the Estonians of Saaremaa, they worked together quite often.

Now let's imagine that the Baltic Curonians indeed had access to the sea. Why should the Estonians of Saaremaa, who were great friends with the Livonians(even better friends that with other Estonians), sail past long stretches of Livonian coastline, to work together with foreign people who were enemies to the Livonians. Geographically and historically it doesn't make sense for obvious reasons.

Archeology also proves that almost all of modern-day Latvia's coastline was inhabited by the Livonians back then. Gradually, the Livonians were assimilated and pushed into the tip of Courland.

The general consensus is that they were.

That's just what Latvians wrote in Wikipedia.

The Ripper
01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
It is often mentioned that the Curonians and the Estonians worked together if making bigger raids.

Around the time when most of these raids occurred, Livonians were the dominant seafaring people in modern-day Latvia. They lived on the coastline running from western Curonia, through Riga, to the Estonian coast. All the bigger trade centers in modern-day Latvia were also purely Livonian, as the Livonians inhabited the coast and the trade centers were at the coast.

The Estonian vikings of Saaremaa often made business like this: They went to Livonia, bought goods that had been brought from the east or the south and then sailed to Scandinavia to sell it. Or the other way around, they raided Sweden or Denmark and sold the goods either in Gotland(Gotland had "non-aggression pact" with the Estonians back then, that meant that they benefited from the increased trade and they didn't have to afraid of Estonian raids) or Livonia.

Livonians had been seafaring people for ages and were very similar to the Estonians of Saaremaa, they worked together quite often.

Now let's imagine that the Baltic Curonians indeed had access to the sea. Why should the Estonians of Saaremaa, who were great friends with the Livonians(even better friends that with other Estonians), sail past long stretches of Livonian coastline, to work together with foreign people who were enemies to the Livonians. Geographically and historically it doesn't make sense for obvious reasons.

Archeology also proves that almost all of modern-day Latvia's coastline was inhabited by the Livonians back then. Gradually, the Livonians were assimilated and pushed into the tip of Courland.

That's just what Latvians wrote in Wikipedia.

That's just what you wrote on a forum. How about some sources, serious academic publications by serious academics.

Äike
01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
That's just what you wrote on a forum. How about some sources, serious academic publications by serious academics.

Have fun:

1) Sigtuna Eesti Gümnaasium. Sigtuna 1947;
B. Kangro, Estland i Sverige. Lund 1968,
s. 100 f; I romantiserad novellform V. Sermat,
Sigtuna novellid. Stockholm 1991.
2) *1900 i Lümanda på Ösel – † 1987 i Stockholm.
3) A. Mälk, Läänemere isandad. Romaan eestlaste
viikingiajast. Tartu 1936. Ill. E. Järv.
4) Toronto 1951; av författaren omarbetad version.
Samme illustratör; översatt av E. Kõiva,
Lords of the Western Sea. Conn. Andover:
Parousia Press 1984; nyutgiven i Estland
på förlaget Eesti Raamat 2000, med
samma illustrationer samt med förord av författarens
dotter, språkvetaren Halliki Mälk.
5) Ledande roller spelades av Ivar Paljak, Jaan
Teär, Vello Laas och Ilmar Loorand.
6) ”Lehhola” är ren fiktion. Den välkända fornborgen
Lihula ligger på fastlandet, jfr
K. Aluve, Eesti keskaegsed linnused. Tallinn,
7) Denna amfibieoperation, där fartyg under
stor möda släpas över land för att omfatta
och överraska fienden, liknar en episod från
Konstantiopels belägring 1453. Där släpade
de anfallande turkarna sina fartyg upp över
den branta Perahalvön och ner in i det av bysantinarna
spärrade Gyllene Hornet. S. Runciman,
The Fall of Constantinople 1453.
Cambridge University Press 1964, Chapter
VII; enligt brevuppgift av Halliki Mälk
(Mjölby 14 juni 2007) har A. Mälk (jämte
hustru) rekognoscerat på plats. Enligt samma
källa upprätthöll han också kontakter
med arkiv såväl i Tallinn som i Stockholm.
8) *1908 i Kuressaare på Ösel – †1993 i Kungälv;
stor biografi av A. Viidalepp, EK. Tallinn
9) 1963: ”Oota, väsinud vennas/Vänta, trötte
broder” och ”Tagasipurjetajad/Hemseglarna”.
I Eesti Üliõpilaste Selts / Akademiska
Sällskapet EÜS ägo, exponerade i Estniska
huset, Wallingatan 32 i Stockholm.
10) *1912 – †1977 i Stockholm.
11) Dvs. liksom läget var i stort i Sverige under
mecklenburgarnas – och Birgittas – tid under
slutet av 1300-talet.
12) K. Ristikivi, Sigtuna väravad. I: Sigtuna väravad.
Juturaamat. EKK Lund 1968,
s. 173–202, i sht s. 177.
13) Birgitta ligger ju i tiden ett par hundra år före
den stormaktstida riksantikvarien Martin
Aschaneus, som annars utpekats som förste
traditionsbäraren betr. portarnas bortsläpande;
S. Tesch, Sigtunas förhärjning år 1187 –
myt eller verklighet. I: Yngre järnålder och
historisk arkeologi i Stockholms län. Stockholm
1999, s. 89.
14) Snorre Sturlasson, Nordiska kungasagor.
Stockholm MCMXCI. s. 191 ff, därtill senast
E. Tarvel, Ajalugu kui kaunis muinasjutt
/ History as a wonderful fairytale. TUNA,
2/2002, Tallinn, s. 4–10, 8, 158.
15) Esternas nationsbyggande utnyttjade i stället
det stora bondeupproret, som började under
S:t Georgsnatten 1343. ”Alla ester” har
berörts av den 18-årige E. Bornhöhes dramatiska
roman ”Tasuja” (Hämnaren), 1880;
nytryck i exilen i Vadstena redan 1947.
16) S. Tesch, a.a., s. 89–98. Förf. behandlar i
sammanhanget även frågan om Stockholms
uppkomst.
17) S. Tesch, ibidem.
18) Chronologia Svecica ex Codice Minoritarum
Wisbyensium. 815–1412. Scriptores
rerum Svecicarum (SRS), I. Uppsala 1818,
s. 39 et seq.
19) N. Ahnlund, Stockholms historia före Gustav
Vasa. Stockholm 1953, s. 84 (cit. Stockholm).
20) Chronologia 266–1430, SRS I, s. 22 f:
”Tunc eciam incensa est sichtonia a paganis...”.
Staden skulle sålunda ha blivit nerbränd;
Chronologia vetus, 816–1263. SRS I,
s. 47 et seq: ”...Sictuna combusta...”; Chronologia
Anonymi Veteris, 826–1415, SRS I,
s. 50 et seq: ”Sichtuna robusta /combusta/ est
a paganis...”; Incerti Scriptores Sveci Chronicon
Rerum Sveogothicarum, 1160–1320.
SRS I, s. 83 et seq: ”Et civitas Sigtonensis
combusta fuit ab eisdem /paganis/”.
21) S. Bolin, Om Nordens äldsta historieskrivning.
Studier över dess metodik och källvärde.
Lund 1931, i sht i kap. VII: Annalnotiserna
rörande Sveriges historia t.o.m. 1200-
talets mitt, s. 201–245.
22) Jfr E. Österberg, Historia och arkeologi.
Några reflexioner. RAÄ och SHM Rapport
2. Stockholm 1978, s. 5–23; A. Andrén, Mellan
ting och text. En introduktion till de historiska
arkeologierna. Stockholm 1997;
J. Staecker, Dialog mit dem Tod. I: Europeans
or not. Local Level Strategies on the
Baltic Rim 1100–1400 AD. CCC 1.
Oskarshamn 1999, s. 232 ff.
23) N. Ahnlund, Stockholm, s. 32 f.
24) Stora rimchrönikan. I: SRS I:2, s. 1–52;
Erikskrönikan, Ed. R. Pipping 1921, nytr.
1961; Red. S.-B. Jansson, Stockholm 1986.
25) S. Bolin, a.a., kap. VIII–X, s. 245–285, om
Erikskrönikan; I. Andersson, Erikskrönikans
författare. Minnesteckning. Stockholm
26) H. Rebas, Internationella medeltida kommunikationer
till och genom Baltikum. I: Historisk
Tidskrift (SHT) 2/1978 (Stockholm),
s. 417–439.
27) Episoden är i vetenskaplig litteratur utförligt
behandlad av bl.a. N. Ahnlund, Jon jarl.
I: Svensk sägen och hävd. Stockholm 1928,
s. 149 ff; A. Stade, ”Den store Jon Jarl”.
I: SHT (59), 1939, s. 113–138; N. Ahnlund,
Stockholm 1953, s. 93 ff. Ahnlund söker lägga
Jon jarls hemkomst och död efter det
misslyckade danska generalangreppet på
Ösel år 1206.
28) Ericus Olai, Chronica... SRS II, Uppsala
1828, s 1 et seq: ”Tunc etiam combusta est
civitas Sigtonia a eisdem paganis”. s. 49;
Sv. Arnoldsson, Ericus Olai och periodindelningen
i Sveriges historia. Acta universitatis
Gotoburgensis LVIII. 1952:4, Göteborg;
E. Lönnroth, Ericus Olai som politiker.
Kungl. humanistiska vetenskapssamfundet i
Uppsala. Årsbok 1952, s. 149–171. Omtr. i
Från svensk medeltid. Stockholm 1959,
s. 127–142.
29) H. Schück, Rikets brev och register: arkivbildande,
kansliväsen och tradition inom den
medeltida svenska statsmakten. Skrifter utgivna
av svenska Riksarkivet, nr 4. Stockholm
30) Olaus Petris Svenska croeneka. Tr. ffg år
1818 i SRS I:2, därefter red. och ed. av
G. E. Klemming, Stockholm 1860, därefter
av J. Sahlgren i Olaus Petris samlade skrifter,
Utg. B. Hesselman, Bd 4. Uppsala 1917,
s. 1–298.
31) Jfr i SRS II:2, s. 151–160: Gustav Vasa till
Olaus Petri, Kalmar den 5 aug. 1554; Gustav
Vasa till prinsarna Erik och Johan, Gripsholm
den 23 dec. 1554; Gustav Vasa till prinsarna
Erik och Johan, Gripsholm den 25 dec.
1554; Gustav Vasa till Laurentius Petri,
Gripsholm den 24 dec. 1554; Gravamina
Reg. Gustavi I contra Laurentium Petri,
anim adversio nesque in Chronica Fratris
Olai.
32) G. T. Westin, Historieskrivaren Olaus Petri.
Lund 1946. Diss.
33) Olaus Petri, SRS I:2, p. 243.
34) Idem, p. 244.
35) Jfr Henricus de lettis, Heinrici Chronicon
Livoniae (cit. HCL): Heinrichs livländische
Chronik, 2. Aufl. Ed. L. Arbusow, A. Bauer.
Hannover 1955; Henriku Liivimaa kroonika.
Ed. J. Mägiste. Stockholm 1962; Henriku
Liivimaa kroonika. Ed. R. Kleis, E. Tarvel.
Tallinn 1982, XXIII:2 och XXIV:3.
36) HCL XXIV:3.
37) Laurentius Petri, Chronica svecana. SRS
II:2, s. 3 et seq.
38) N. Ahnlund, Stockholm (1953), s. 71;
S. Högberg, Stockholms historia 1. Stockholm
1981, s. 10 ff.
39) N. Ahnlund, Stockholm (1953), s. 71; C. J.
Gardberg och E .B.Lundberg, Art. ”Kastal”.
I: Kulturhistorisk leksikon för nordisk middelalder
(cit. KLNM). Bd VIII. København
1963, sp. 323 ff.; J. Wienberg, Fortresses,
Storehouses and Symbols – ambiguous
churches of the Baltic Sea. I: Der Ostseeraum
und Kontinentaleuropa 1100–1600.
CCC VIII. Schwerin 2004, s. 35 f.
40) Wienberg, a.a., s. 42.
41) N. P. Vigeland, T. I. Itkonen, Art.”Båt“. I:
KLMN, Bd II. København 1957, sp. 467 ff.
42) The Chronicle of Novgorod 1016–1471.
Camden Third Series, vol. XXV. London
1914, s. 256.
43) Njals, Egil Skallagrimsons och den redan
nämnde Olav Tryggvassons sagor.
HAIN REBAS
44) Saxo Grammaticus, Gesta danorum/Taanlaste
vägiteod. Tallinn 2000. s. 163 f.
45) M. Mägi, At the crossroads of space and
time. Graves, changing society and ideology
on Saaremaa (Ösel), 9th–13th century. Tallinn
2002; N. Blomkvist i egenskap av huvudman
för CCC, Bd 1–8. Visby
1996–2004. M. Mägis diss. bör kompletteras
med E. Blumfeldt, Saaremaa ajalugu. I:
Eesti VI – Saaremaa. Tartu 1934 och
H.Kruus motsvarande kapitel i storverket
Eesti ajalugu, I. Esiajalugu ja musitne vabadusvõitlus.
Kirjutanud H. Moora, E. Laid,
J. Mägiste, H. Kruus. Ed. H. Moora, H.
Kruus. Tartu 1935.
46) K. Kello, Saaremaa vanad kivikirikud. Kes
tegi? I: Tuna 1/2007, s. 154 ff.
47) Senast betr. det gutniska alltinget N. Myrberg,
Room for All? The Gotlanders al and
the All-thing in Roma. Manuskript 2007.
48) HCL VII:1–2; Även M. Mägi, a.a., s. 138 f.;
Utförligt i S. Vahtre, Muinasaja loojang
Eestis, Vabadusvõitlus 1208–1227. Tallinn
49) M. Mägi, a.a., s. 87 ff., jfr Mägis fynd i Kurevere,
plate 25, och Viltina (2), plate 92,
s. 196 och 255; Även A. Mälk skriver i a.a.
om ”västsvärd” och ”tunga svenska svärd”.
50) Avbildat i Eesti Ajalugu, I. Tartu 1935,
s. 172.
51) J. Peets, The Iron Slag Hills of Tuiu – an ancient
industrial landscape of Saaremaa.
I: Coastal Estonia. Recent Advantages in Environmental
and Cultural History (Pact 51)
Rixensart 1996, s. 29–37; Idem, The Power
of Iron. I: Muinasaja teadus 2003, nr 12,
s. 329–337; K. Kello, a.a. s. 154 f.
52) K. Kello, a.a. s. 154 f; H. Kjellin; V. Raam;
K. Alttoa, Saaremaa kirikud. 2. täiendatud
trükk. Tallinn 2003; K. Markus, Från Gotland
till Estland. Kyrkokonst och politik under
1200-talet. Kristianstad 1999.
53) HCL VII:1.
54) HCL VIII:3.
55) HCL IX:13.
56) Tyskarna hade t.o.m. tagit med sig Kaupo
och rest ända till Rom med honom.
57) HCL XV:3.
58) HCL XII:8.
59) HCL XXX:2–6.
60) E. Tarvel, Tallinn, muntligen. I: K. Kello,
a.a., s 156.
61) HCL XXX:1.
62) Jfr Nils Blomkvists stora internationella
projekt i Visby, CCC, Culture Clash or Compromise,
jfr not 43.
63) N. Ahnlund, Stockholm (1953), s. 32 ff, 94.
64) H. Kruus in: Eesti ajalugu I. Tartu 1935, s.
65) Varvid Mälk uppenbarligen stöder sig på
Kruus m.fl. breda kunskaper och närmast
auktoritativa praktutgåva.
66) N. Ahnlund, a.a.o.
67) M. Mägi, a.a., s. 34.
68) D. Harrison, Jarlens sekel. En berättelse om
1200-talets Sverige. Stockholm 2002, s. 578.
69) Th. Lindkvist, Christianisation and State-
Building in the Baltic Area. I: Der Ostseeraum
und Kontinentaleuropa 1100–1600.
CCC VIII. Schwerin 2004, s. 127–131.
70) S. Tesch & J. Vincent, Vyer från medeltidens
Sigtuna. Sigtuna 2005, s. 10.
71) M. Klinge, Östersjövälden. 1984.
72) E. Lönnroth, De äkta folkungarnas program
(1944), nytr. i Från svensk medeltid. Stockholm
1961, s. 13–69; Senast därom H. & F.
Lindström, Svitjods undergång och Sveriges
födelse. Stockholm 2006.

The Ripper
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
LOL, your sources include national romantic historical fiction.

But I'll take a look.

Äike
01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
LOL, your sources include national romantic historical fiction.

But I'll take a look.

Actually August Mälk worked together with historians and constantly searched for information, to make his book historically accurate.

The Ripper
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Actually August Mälk worked together with historians and constantly searched for information, to make his book historically accurate.

Here's an idea: start a thread about the Finnic identity of Curonians in you-know-where. Let's have a little but real debate with actual sources. :)