PDA

View Full Version : Icehockey world championship - Latvia

Inese
04-30-2009, 08:00 PM
There is Icehockey world championship running this and next week and Latvia is always a part of it for a long time!! :thumb001: Icehockey is the national sport of Latvia we all love our national team. :wink:cool: We are not the best but also never the worst!!

Latvia is on a good way now. First match was against USA , we lost 2:4 but it is not bad because USA is one of the best teams!!

Second match was against Sweden and we won 3:2 after penalty!! :D :cool: pew lol! ^_^

Third match was against Austria and we won with 2:0 ----- eaaasy

And now we play currently the first match in qualiying round for quarter final and lead against Switzerland with 1:0 !! If the result stays we are on the best way for Quarter finals. Maybe we meet Canada as the oponent that will be a hard match?? But Latvia was winning against USA and Canada some times in the past.

Latvian Icehockey team!

http://www.lhf.lv/photos/gallery/photo_436_ll.jpg

http://www.lhf.lv/photos/gallery/photo_434_ll.jpg

http://www.li.lv/images_new/Fani2.jpg

Sarmata
04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I heard that ethnic Latvians support ice hockey team and Latvian Russians- football team...Is it true?:confused:

Aemma
04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Ahh most excellent Inese! Another female hockey fan on board. Great to see! :thumb001:

Did you know that hockey is also Canada's national sport? :)

Three cheers for our national hockey teams! May they all enjoy success. :cheer_icoon:

Inese
04-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow we won the next match , the first one in qualifying round!!! :D 2:1 against Switzerland after penalty!

http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-world-championship-oc09/home/news/news-singleview-world-championship-2009/article/latvia-stuns-switzerland.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=2717&cHash=8ce3799010

That makes 3 wins in 4 games!! :cool:

I heard that ethnic Latvians support ice hockey team and Latvian Russians- football team...Is it true?
Hm not normal because there are no or not much Russians in Latvian soccer team. Latvian Russians always support motherland Russia be it Icehockey or football you know?? But Icehockey is our national sport and i dont know much about football.

Yes Aemma i know that hockey is your national sport too!! :wink It is no surprise ----- Canada has one of the best teams of the world and wins the champonship very often. Your team is very good they win often high , maybe our teams meet in quarter final.
have you heard from Latvian hockey team in the past?? We are no newcomers :)

Aemma
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Wow we won the next match , the first one in qualifying round!!! :D 2:1 against Switzerland after penalty!

http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-world-championship-oc09/home/news/news-singleview-world-championship-2009/article/latvia-stuns-switzerland.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=2717&cHash=8ce3799010

That makes 3 wins in 4 games!! :cool:

Excellent! Congratulations!! :thumb001:

have you heard from Latvian hockey team in the past?? We are no newcomers :)

Yes although I knew that Latvia had a team, I must admit that I tend to watch professional hockey more than I do amateur hockey--the NHL specifically (National Hockey League). Having said this however, my son will usually inform me of what's been happening in the worlds games, when he checks the sports news. ;) I do watch hockey during the Olympics though. I find it too bad that it is full of professional players these days (well Canada's, the USA's, Sweden's and Finland's teams especially who mainly come from the NHL) and not an amateur sport anymore.

I wish Latvia well, Inese. So far so good it seems. And yes perhaps our respective teams will meet in the quarter finals. :)

Cheers for now Inese!...Aemma :)

Sigurd
05-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Third match was against Austria and we won with 2:0 ----- eaaasy

LOL, I watched that painful game. If you lived a little closer, I would have probably offered to watch that "endgame" with you, being the most fervent sports spectator since records began, and you would have seen me going fairly berserk at Austria's imbecility. I actually wondered whether you'd be following the game, considering the wide following of Ice Hockey in Latvia. :wink

At least we didn't make as utter fools of ourselves as in the first two matches, but for some reason we're still too stupid to score any goals. Five-minute powerplay and not a single shot on goal within those five minutes - embarassing. You'd expect that having the fifth-best goalscorer in the NHL (Thomas Vanek) play for you should guarantee at least offensive skill. Scoring nil goals against one of the world's best countering-teams is pure suicide...

Well, good luck in the next round. We're back down into the relegation round. So, chances are - see you again in two years, Top Division. At least Germany can't be relegated due to hosting it, but since Austria probably will, it's still painful. :D

Sarmata
05-01-2009, 05:09 AM
It will be fun when Latvia will met Russian team:)

Inese
05-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes although I knew that Latvia had a team, I must admit that I tend to watch professional hockey more than I do amateur hockey--the NHL specifically (National Hockey League).
Hm i dont know NHL we Latvians love icehockey when our National team is playing somewhere!! Leagues i dont find them interesting. But many profis are at world championship ----- do Canada send only amateurs in to the national team??? :confused: Because famous players are in the American teams also , Canada and USA.
I do watch hockey during the Olympics though. I find it too bad that it is full of professional players these days (well Canada's, the USA's, Sweden's and Finland's teams especially who mainly come from the NHL) and not an amateur sport anymore.
Why do you think it is bad??? More profis means better matches!!? In Europe it is normal that the best player of a country go to the national team because it must be creme of the creme :wink

I wish Latvia well, Inese. So far so good it seems. And yes perhaps our respective teams will meet in the quarter finals. :)

Thaaaanks you too!! ;) But the Canada team is a monster they won against Czechia 5:1 yesterday , they win high so often.....:rolleyes:

LOL, I watched that painful game. If you lived a little closer, I would have probably offered to watch that "endgame" with you, being the most fervent sports spectator since records began, and you would have seen me going fairly berserk at Austria's imbecility. I actually wondered whether you'd be following the game, considering the wide following of Ice Hockey in Latvia. :wink
Hey dont be sad that you lost you will have new chances!! :thumb001: I watch only when our team plays in important cometitions and world championships are very important for my country.

You'd expect that having the fifth-best goalscorer in the NHL (Thomas Vanek) play for you should guarantee at least offensive skill. Scoring nil goals against one of the world's best countering-teams is pure suicide...
We have Edgars Masalskis , a super goalkeeper!! :cool: Latvian team is not very offensive but the team waits for good chances and attacks like a panther!! In game yesterday the team let the Switzerlanders come and at the right moment we bite!! ^_^

Funny was that the flag of Austria and Latvia are extreme smiliar!! When the match result was blended in it was like one country team A plays against the same country team B --- lol

It will be fun when Latvia will met Russian team:)

http://images.stanzapub.com/readers/2008/11/26/hockeyfight_1.jpg :P :P :P :P

Sigurd
05-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey dont be sad that you lost you will have new chances!! :thumb001:

Well, the relegation round starts against Hungary this evening. We definitely have to win that on, and the one against Denmark. Germany is probably too good for us to beat. :p

I watch only when our team plays in important cometitions and world championships are very important for my country.

In Ice Hockey, mostly the same here. Though I did go to the hockey stadium last year when we played Russia in a "friendly" and managed to get them to the edge of defeat, closely missing out in the final third and losing 7:9.

With my local team voluntarily relegated to the second highest league for financial reasons, there's not much choice really; and even though our local football team is also in the second highest league (shame really, as the third most successful team in Austria with 10 championships we don't really deserve to be down there), I'll have to stick with football on club level. :D

We have Edgars Masalskis , a super goalkeeper!! :cool: Latvian team is not very offensive but the team waits for good chances and attacks like a panther!! In game yesterday the team let the Switzerlanders come and at the right moment we bite!! ^_^

Exactly, and that's the big point. If you play against Latvia and fail to score goals, then you conceive them in return. Perhaps not the most attractive style of play, but very effective. Let's hope you can beat the Russians, too, on Sunday! Go and kick their Soviet butts! :thumb001:

Funny was that the flag of Austria and Latvia are extreme smiliar!! When the match result was blended in it was like one country team A plays against the same country team B --- lol

Yea, I know, your white stripe is a little thinner and the red's a bit darker, but other than that the same pattern :wink. When I was a little, unknowing 9-year-old boy watching the Winter Olympics in 1998, I accidentally cheered for the Latvian lugers, too, LOL. :D

Inese
05-04-2009, 01:44 PM
On saturday we won against France with 7:1!! :thumb001::D But the match against Russia was shit , we lost. No comment needed!! USA lost against russia also.

But chances for quarter final are not lost we have a good rank in qualifying round. :)

Inese
05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Today at 16:15 time is our quarterfinal in the Icehockey Championship!! Yes we made it to the quarter final!! :cool::thumbs up

Latvians oponent in the quarterfinal is ------ Canada!! lol Aemma!! ^_^ :D :embarrassed

Here is a pre match report:
http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-world-championship-oc09/home/news/news-singleview-world-championship-2009/article/preview-canada-vs-latvia.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=2717&cHash=ddefde000b

If all runs normal Canada will win but maybe all luck of the world is with us then we see a sensation. :P Does other ones watch the quarterfinal???

Sarmata
05-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Today at 16:15 time is our quarterfinal in the Icehockey Championship!! Yes we made it to the quarter final!! :cool::thumbs up

Latvians oponent in the quarterfinal is ------ Canada!! lol Aemma!! ^_^ :D :embarrassed

Here is a pre match report:
http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-world-championship-oc09/home/news/news-singleview-world-championship-2009/article/preview-canada-vs-latvia.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=2717&cHash=ddefde000b

If all runs normal Canada will win but maybe all luck of the world is with us then we see a sensation. :P Does other ones watch the quarterfinal???

I wish you luck Latvia, but you have no chances against Canada team.

Sigurd
05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I wish you luck Latvia, but you have no chances against Canada team.

You might be surprise what they can achieve. Last time I looked, they were still holding them to a 0:0 ... perhaps a 1:0, 2:1, or victory after over-time or penalties could be possible.

I respect both countries and wish them the best of luck, but since I always like it when "underdogs" beat the "big ones", in the absence of any immediate preference I will go with the undergod.

So, go Latvia, go! Show them Canucks they need to eat more moose before they come back! :wink :thumb001:

Sarmata
05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
You might be surprise what they can achieve. Last time I looked, they were still holding them to a 0:0 ... perhaps a 1:0, 2:1, or victory after over-time or penalties could be possible.

I respect both countries and wish them the best of luck, but since I always like it when "underdogs" beat the "big ones", in the absence of any immediate preference I will go with the undergod.

So, go Latvia, go! Show them Canucks they need to eat more moose before they come back! :wink :thumb001:

4:2 for Canada and Latvia is eliminated. Well I often support "underdogs" too, but sport such as normal life is just brutal...

Inese
05-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey we was not elimiated!! :rolleyes2: 2:4 is a good result against Canada who always win very high!! We hat some bad penalty minority and there was a chance to win with a little luck.

Atlas
05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I personally am not a fan of "on ice" sports/games, though I believe Ice Hockey is smarter than curling. :p

Aemma
05-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey we was not elimiated!! :rolleyes2: 2:4 is a good result against Canada who always win very high!! We hat some bad penalty minority and there was a chance to win with a little luck.

I agree Inese. That was a respectable score. Good effort by Latvia's team. Congrats! :)

I guess our boys had eaten enough moose yesterday then eh Sigurd? ;) :P

Good for you for being a model fan of your team Inese. Hats off to you! :)

Cheers!...Aemma

Aemma
05-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I personally am not a fan of "on ice" sports/games, though I believe Ice Hockey is smarter than curling. :p

Hahaha curling...that's about as much fun to watch as is watching paint dry! Give me the speed and rough and tumble of hockey any day! :D

YggsVinr
05-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Hahaha curling...that's about as much fun to watch as is watching paint dry! Give me the speed and rough and tumble of hockey any day! :D

So very true!:p Curling has to be nearly as boring as golf, I swear. Its funny, a few years ago when there was that whole curling hype (was it because of the Olympics or some other big winter sporting event? I can't remember.) most if not all of the Canadian team was from Newfoundland so everyone across the island was going nuts. I remember some nights people would be sauntering off drunk asking if I wanted to come out and watch "the game" with them. "What game?" I asked. Curling was the response, to which I could only stare and reply "you've got to be kidding me":p

Tolleson
05-08-2009, 06:14 PM

You have to love a sport that you can drink all the way through and still perform. Curling..."My rocks are bigger than yours". :D

Inese
05-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Small info ---- Russia has won world championship :coffee: The final was Russia against Canada and Russia won 2:1. :rolleyes: But Canada played great and had not enough luck.

Aemma
05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Small info ---- Russia has won world championship :coffee: The final was Russia against Canada and Russia won 2:1. :rolleyes: But Canada played great and had not enough luck.

Dang it! :mad: ;)

I appreciate the updates you have been giving us Inese. I see a bright future for you in sports broadcasting. You did an excellent job here! :)

Cheers Birthday Girl!...Aemma :)

YggsVinr
05-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Indeed, well we screwed up twice and they resulted in two goals. What can you do. Ah well, next time I suppose, its not like we have a shortage of gold medals anyway:p