PDA

View Full Version : Un-PC sayings about ethnic groups in your region

Grumpy Cat
02-03-2012, 04:28 PM
What ones do you have?

For my region:

If you lose weight, someone might tell you you're "as thin as a Jew's conscience".

If you're sharing a cigarette with someone, be mindful not to "nigger lip" it (get saliva in the filter).

The economy is bad and some people will go to be hungry tonight, "don't be a Jew", donate a bit to the food bank or help a less fortunate friend out.

But don't ask for a gift back, that makes you an "Indian giver".

Beorn
02-03-2012, 04:40 PM
You can 'Welsh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_%28surname%29#Etymology)' on a deal or bet, which derives from the Welsh generally being untrustworthy.

You can get off 'Scot free' which derives from not paying your taxes or escaping responsibility for something you should have.

You can 'act like an Englishman', which derives from the fact that Englishmen are teh best and are worth emulating.

I don't think the Irish have one. If they did, it would probably be 'Make sure you check their pulse after'.

Grumpy Cat
02-03-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think the Irish have one. If they did, it would probably be 'Make sure you check their pulse after'.

Ah we have an Irish one here. A slang term for a police car is a "Paddywagon".

People here say "Scot free" too.

Aces High
02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
An old Sergeant in the army used to say this when we were being used as slave labour.

"pull like your pulling a black man off your mother"

Graham
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
People here say "Scot free" too.

Scot free has nothing to do with us. But only in Beorn's mind. We say it also.

The expression is "scot-free", and it originates from Old English scotfreo "exempt from royal tax," from scot "royal tax," from Old Norse skot "contribution", and freo "exempt".

Beorn
02-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Scot free has nothing to do with us. But only in Beorn's mind. We say it also.

I was aware of that, but to the other 99.9% of those who use the expression, it is related to the Scottish nevertheless.

johngaunt
02-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Going Dutch - to halve a bill - ie not pay for all of it.

Pardon my French - said if you swear.

If you run from a fight you are refered to being on 'french leave'

Dutch Courage - Said when someone needs to drink when they are in a fight, like the Dutch apparently.The fact that britains' second empire and the Netherlands' first rose at the same time caused a great deal of tension between the two nations

Graham
02-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Used to think, it was something to do with Scotland Yard. Criminals getting away Scot free.

Grumpy Cat
02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
"It's like Hebrew" - When you don't understand something.

Last time my mother visited me, I had a bad cold, plus exhausted from putting in crazy overtime at work and she said to me I looked I "had been through the Boer War."

Anyways, here's an interesting link:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16967_8-racist-words-you-use-every-day.html

Aces High
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Getting "Turked".......fairly obvious.

"Play the white man".

johngaunt
02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
I also heard that in Germany they say "Heute gestohlen, morgen in Polen" ("Stolen today, tomorrow in Poland") because Poles are always thought of as stealing things.
Apparently its a really common saying.

Γέλως
02-03-2012, 05:32 PM
"Even if you wash a negro, you are just wasting your soap". Famous Greek saying.

Bard
02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
"Lavorare come un negro" working like a nigger (slave, I suppose).
"Essere un ebreo" when someone is stingy, or saves up a lot of money yet living in poor conditions.

AussieScott
02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
"Get your cotton picking fingers off..."

Mum and Nanna use to say it all the time, never knew it was referring to Negroes, back then.

"Inny minny miny mo catch a nigger by the toe..."

Use to use that one at school in the 80's, even the teachers. So glad Australia was behind the times, wished we stayed there.