PDA

View Full Version : A look into your spirit and being...

Barreldriver
05-01-2009, 05:14 PM
When I study the Eddas and read old tales and see the examples of the individuals discussed there in I often find myself drawing parallels and seeing what my natural path is, for myself I take to heart tales of great wanderings, wars, and artistic beauty, I see myself as a person who finds wandering and roaming relaxing and full of adventure and knowledge, I enjoy the long walk throughout, as well as a good competition, my taste in art and music is a huge influence on how I perceive life, I tend to find most of my answers through exploring my artistic creativity.

This said and done I perceive my spirit as sort of "lazy" in the sense of I do not like to rush or get ahead of myself it makes me anxious and paranoid (some here may have seen what that could lead to, my inconsequential rants are typically the result of my state of mind being disrupted). I find an unpredictability within myself, and I notice that much of my behavior can be berserk when provoked. This is often expressed in my artistic adventures.

All in all I see my spiritual identity as that of a "bumpkin" so to speak. I am not interested in the riches and wealth, rather I am interested in being able to find myself and to prove my contest ability. I get more reward from just knowing a task has been achieved, a battle won, or a thought expressed rather than from money, gems, and trinkets.

Now, what is your identity in terms of your spirit and your self.

I also obsess with being able to pass on any knowledge that I acquire mainly in terms of historical events that I have studied and family history, I see myself as a preserver.

Psychonaut
05-02-2009, 04:48 AM
A very interesting question indeed!

The only historical personage with whom I feel a close kinship with is H.P. Lovecraft. There is something about his sensibilities that is eerily similar to my own. It is the sense that I am living in the wrong time period combined with a forward looking perspective. It is a love for both the anitquarian and the scientific. It is a love both for tradition for tradition's sake and for a continually expanding understanding of the world and ourselves. Excepting the particular reference to New England, I can wholly identify with this statement of my spiritual twin (SL II. 288-289):

So far as I am concerned--I am an aesthete devoted to harmony, and to the extradition of the maximum possible pleasure from life. I find by experience that my chief pleasure is in symbolic identification with the landscape and tradition-stream to which I belong

as well as this (SL I. 284):

the soundest course for a man of sense is to put away the complexity and sophistication of an unhappy age, and to return into the seclusion and simplicity of a rural 'Squire; loving old, ancestral, and quaintly beautiful things, and thinking old, simple, manly, heroick thoughts which--even when not true--are surely beautiful because they bear upon them so much of the ivy of tradition.