PDA

View Full Version : Russia’s Concern over the West’s Alliance with the Islamists.

Russia’s Concern over the West’s Alliance with the Islamists (http://english.alarabiya.net/views/2012/02/05/192648.html).

This is a very good piece in Al-Arabiya. Written before Russia and China vetoed the proposed Security Council Resolution on Syria, it contains interesting details and analysis that are superior to simplistic American
propaganda.

Several key excerpts are below. Bold font is mine:

… Russia’s escalation has come to demonstrate to the United States, Britain, France and the North Atlantic Alliance (NATO) that what it considered to have been deception and disdain for it in the experience of Libya through a Security Council resolution, would never happen again under any circumstances.

… Moscow has engaged Arab countries over the details of the transitional process, even as it was publicly stating that it absolutely rejects any reference to Assad stepping down in a Security Council resolution.

… In other words, Russia seems as if it had entered the line of the formula of departure in order to be party to it, not just to provide asylum and immunity, but in fact also in order to be a main partner in decision-making on the issue of Syria after the current regime. This way it would not be excluded, deceived or disparaged, as it was in the issue of Libya.

… One of the sources of Russia’s fears from the change that is taking place in the Arab region is the rise of Islamist political parties to power, in the places where the change known as the Arab Spring has occurred.

… Russia has many doubts at this level, most prominently: what is behind redrawing the map of the region on the basis of the Islamists, and in particular the Muslim Brotherhood, being in power? And why are Western countries, headed by the United States, rushing to roll out the red carpet for them?

… There is indeed a solid logic behind Russia’s doubts regarding the West – and in particular the United States – adopting the Muslim Brotherhood…

… Today, Russia finds itself in a state of calculated siege, emerging through the new semi-alliance between the Americans – and the West in general – and the Islamists. The Barack Obama Administration seems to be at the forefront of this new alliance.

Logan
02-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Russian, and the other Slavic countries of Europe have had a history of poor relations with the Western ones including the United States. Europe is all of Europe.

I would think Moscow's concerns to be warranted. We need more movement towards the things which unite us. I had thought that the Cold War was over. Perhaps, Russia's inclusion into the EU or some other unification is the answer. Despite some lovely troops :D, our true adversary is due East.

Hopefully, the current American administration is on their way out.;)

I had thought that the Cold War was over.

No American administration could possibly prevent rise of Muslim Brotherhood and its ideological affiliates to power. I don’t think we are heading towards another Cold War but since both, the US and Russia, are pretty much taken for a ride in the so-called Arab Spring, they are using different and confrontational strategies while struggling to retain influence in the Arab world.

This particular bit is perfect in its directness:

One major American decision-maker on the affairs of the Middle East defended the US’s policy, saying that the Barack Obama Administration does not want to find itself outside the circle of power in Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Yemen, Morocco and the other countries in which the Islamists, and the Muslim Brotherhood in particular, have achieved prominence. He said, defending the US’s high praise of Islamists, that those in the ranks of moderation, modernity and secularism had “failed”, and he repeated “failed”, and that the US Administration has thus found itself faced with having no choice but to choose the Islamists.

Logan
02-06-2012, 12:55 AM
No American administration could possibly prevent rise of Muslim Brotherhood and its ideological affiliates to power. I don’t think we are heading towards another Cold War but since both, the US and Russia, are pretty much taken for a ride in the so-called Arab Spring, they are using different and confrontational strategies while struggling to retain influence in the Arab world.

This particular bit is perfect in its directness:

They have been well funded and organized for near a century.

If we could reach a point of closer cooperation amongst all Europeans as well as the other Western powers; we might better react to the Middle- Eastern and Eastern powers.

Politicians, and business. ;)

Nairi
02-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Not only Russia is concerned, I am also very concerned! :eek: :D

Joe McCarthy
02-06-2012, 02:25 AM
If the Putinists were really concerned about Islamists they wouldn't be propping up the crazies in Khartoum.

This is just the usual geopolitical posturing.