PDA

View Full Version : The Soul...

mymy
02-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I was thinking to make this thread already a long time, but i wasn't sure about it. I also didn't know should i post it here, or in philosophy section, because question of the soul doesn't have to deal with religion.

I am curious to hear people's opinion about this matter. What ''the soul'' means to you, do you believe in it, are you in touch with your soul, do you identify yourself with it? Is the soul some kind of spirit or not? Also, are there ethnic and national differences connected with the way individuals see ''the soul''?

I am not religious, and i don't connect question of soul with religious teachings. For me, it is some kind of inner voice, emotional side of every person, inner strength, some kind of love and good in us... It is even very hard to describe how i feel about it, but this question definitely has very important place in my life. I take it very naturally actually. Although i can't talk about it, i know i feel it.

In Slavic languages for example, world ''soul'' (duša, душа) is one of the most important words used to describe identity of the person.

rhiannon
02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I like your take on it, mymy. Mine is similar. My mother and stepmother also believe in reincarnation of the soul....although I am a bit skeptical on that, it is an appealing thought:)

mymy
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I like your take on it, mymy. Mine is similar. My mother and stepmother also believe in reincarnation of the soul....although I am a bit skeptical on that, it is an appealing thought:)

I am also not sure if reincarnation of soul exist and what happen after this life. When i talk about soul, i talk about more spiritual side of every person, and less material... Our character is also part of our souls, i believe. It's maybe the energy in us. But i don't know if it disappear when we die(although energy can't be destroyed), or go on other place. I am skeptical too, we can't know anything for sure. However, i don't connect question of soul with religion...

European Loyalist
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
The soul is like a guiding light to the individual. It is a mixture of abstract rational thinking and emotions. Your soul can be easily corrupted by environmental factors, but satisfying it can be a source of great happiness. I think of it as the human explanation of the combination of our abstract thinking ability and our animalistic/tribalistic tendencies. Basically it's a result of our ability to look at the world through our own interpretations (through a lens if you will) instead of just staring at it absentmindedly and simplistically.