PDA

View Full Version : Armenian Politics

Nairi
02-07-2012, 07:51 AM
I am not sure if this thread woul be of any interest to foreigners but I thought it might be a good idea if I post some news articles concerning Armenia. In this case others can have a hint what is happening in our region full of problems. :D

If you go to Armenia and visit Artsakh/Nagorno Karabakh you will be put in Azerbaijani "black list" and refused entry to their country. Also if you have surname accidentely resembling Armenian ones like with endings "ian/yan/uni,etc you will be denied the access to the airoplane even if you have paid for the ticket because no Armenian is allowed into Azerbaijan. If you are planning to visit South Caucasus I recommend you first to visit Azerbaijan and Georgia and leave Armenia for the last, because if you take frist trip to Armenia you will be treated as an Armenian spy in Azerbaijan having big and long problems at customs.

February 07, 2012 | 00:46

http://news.am/pic/news/92123.jpg

Australian MP Walt Secord who had recently visited Nagorno-Karabakh commented on reports in the Sydney Morning Herald that he had invoked the “wrath of the government of Azerbaijan”.

“I make no apologies for visiting the region and showing my support for Armenia and the Armenian Diaspora, expanding my knowledge of the Armenian Genocide and visiting Artsakh,” said Secord, member of the New South Wales (NSW) legislative council.

He once again declared his support for the rights of Karabakh Armenians to self determination stressing that they should have the right to determine their own political and economic future, reports armenia.com.au.

“At the next meeting of the NSW Parliamentary Friends of Armenia, I will be urging my colleagues to consider an invitation to return to the region,” he said.

Walt Secord’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh was criticized by Baku. Azerbaijan’s Embassy in Turkey complained to the diplomatic mission of Australia.

Northern_Sun
02-07-2012, 07:56 AM
I hate to hear news like this. Why can't we all get along! :(

Nairi
02-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I hate to hear news like this. Why can't we all get along! :(

If we all had your kind personality we would have not had any problem. :)

Loki
02-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Australian MP Walt Secord who had recently visited Nagorno-Karabakh commented on reports in the Sydney Morning Herald that he had invoked the “wrath of the government of Azerbaijan”.

“I make no apologies for visiting the region and showing my support for Armenia and the Armenian Diaspora, expanding my knowledge of the Armenian Genocide and visiting Artsakh,” said Secord, member of the New South Wales (NSW) legislative council.

He once again declared his support for the rights of Karabakh Armenians to self determination stressing that they should have the right to determine their own political and economic future, reports armenia.com.au.

“At the next meeting of the NSW Parliamentary Friends of Armenia, I will be urging my colleagues to consider an invitation to return to the region,” he said.

Thank goodness for world leaders like him who display common-sense and compassion.

poiuytrewq0987
02-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Is Naxcivan Armenian or is it a separatist region? I know little about the history of that region. But yes, I agree with Armenia that the Azerbaijani government shouldn't repress people in Nagorono-Karabakh.

Also:

The Government of Armenia holds European integration as a key priority in its foreign policy as it is considered a European country by the European Union

:D

Nairi
02-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Is Naxcivan Armenian or is it a separatist region? I know little about the history of that region. But yes, I agree with Armenia that the Azerbaijani government shouldn't repress people in Nagorono-Karabakh.

Also:

:D

aaa, my quote! :D

Nakhichevan is historical part of Armenia which Bolsheviks gave to Azerbaijan.
Nakhichevan in Armenian means "Noah stayed/landed here", my maternal side is from there. Nowdays many of conferences of orhanization called "Turkic World" is being held in Nakhichevan.

People of Artsakh/Nagorno Karabakh are not really repressed by Azeri Govt, foreign tourist are repressed :D

But we have found how to help out tourists, Artsakh Govt simply doesn't register visit in Artsakh in their passports if they are planning to Azerbaijan afterwards, but it is impossible in public figures case since their visit is published in press.

Mosov
02-11-2012, 04:36 AM
ՀՀԿ-ն, ՕԵԿ-ն ու «Ժառանգությունը» ընդունվեցին «Եվրոպական ժողովրդական կուսակցություն», ԲՀԿ-ն՝ ոչ

http://www.tert.am/g_image.php?id=206140&tmb=3

Մոտ մեկ ժամ առաջ պարզ դարձավ, որ Հայաստանյան երեք կուսակցություններ՝ «Հայաստանի հանրապետական կուսակցությունը», «Ժառանգությունը» և «Օրինաց երկիրը» դարձել են «Եվրոպական ժողովրդական կուսակցության» (ԵԺԿ) դիտորդ-անդամ։

ԵԺԿ-ին անդամակցության համար դիմած մյուս հայաստանյան կուսակցության՝ «Բարգավաճ Հայաստանի» դիմումը չի ընդունվել։

Հայաստանյան երեք կուսակցությունների ներկայացուցիչները ստորագրել են համատեղ հռչակագիր, որում հաստատել են իրենց պատրաստակամությունը հավատարիմ մնալու եվրոպական ժողովրդավարական արժեքներին` Հայաստանի քաղաքական, տնտեսական և իրավական համակարգերի բարեփոխման և զարգացման ընթացքում:

Հիշեցնենք, որ դեկտեմբերի 7-ին Մարսելում տեղի է ունեցել Եվրոպական ժողովրդական կուսակցության կոնգրեսի առաջին լիագումար նիստը` կազմակերպության ղեկավար Ուիլֆրիդ Մարթենսի գլխավորությամբ, որին մասնակցել է նաև ՀՀԿ նախագահ Սերժ Սարգսյանը` որպես կոնգրեսի հատուկ հյուր:

Ելույթ ունենալով կոնգրեսի ամբիոնից` Մարթենսը Ս. Սարգսյանին հրավիրել է մասնակցել այսօր` դեկտեմբերի 8-ին կայանալիք Եվրոպական երկրների ու կառավարությունների ղեկավարների գագաթաժողովին:

«Այսօրվանից Դուք Ձեզ կարող եք համարել Եվրոպական ժողովրդական կուսակցության մեծ ընտանիքի անդամ»,- հայտարարել է Վ. Մարթենսը` դիմելով Ս. Սարգսյանին և հանդիսավոր կերպով նրան փոխանցել գագաթաժողովին մասնակցելու հրավերը և ԵԺԿ անդամի կրծքանշանը:
ԵԺԿ-ն համաեվրոպական խոշորագույն կուսակցությունն է, որի մաս են կազմում եվրոպական 39 երկրների 72 կուսակցություններ։

Tert.am

Nairi
02-11-2012, 04:37 AM
Armenian killed in Syria

February 10, 2012 | 22:48

ALEPPO. - Due to double explosions in Aleppo, Syria, on Friday an Armenian man died, the spokesperson of the Armenian MFA Tigran Balayan told Armenian News.

“As the Armenian Consulate in Aleppo has been informed, Armenian Vigen Hayrapetyan died because of explosions in Aleppo,” he said.

As Armenian News-NEWS.am informed earlier, two explosions occurred in Aleppo, Syria, on Friday because of which 28 people died and 175 got injured.

The terror acts were against the military investigation office, but civilians also died, including children, who were playing in a nearby park.

Later opposition Syrian Free Army took the responsibility for the explosions.

Nairi
02-11-2012, 04:38 AM
ՀՀԿ-ն, ՕԵԿ-ն ու «Ժառանգությունը» ընդունվեցին «Եվրոպական ժողովրդական կուսակցություն», ԲՀԿ-ն՝ ոչ

http://www.tert.am/g_image.php?id=206140&tmb=3

In English, please :D

Mosov
02-11-2012, 04:39 AM
In English, please :D

Armenian parliamentary opposition and ruling coalition parties joined EPP

February 09, 2012 | 21:03
YEREVAN. – Three political powers parliamentary opposition Heritage party together with ruling coalition members Republican Party of Armenia (PRA) and Orinats Yerkir joined European People’s Party.

To note, ruling coalition member Prosperous Armenia Party (PAP) also had applied, however its application was not discussed at all.

In addition, EPP delegation headed by the EPP vice president, European Parliament MP Corien Wortmann – Kool visited Armenia last November for fact-checking mission and met with those political powers.

Swan_
03-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Is Naxcivan Armenian
Nakhichevan has had an Armenian presence for a long time, but was subjected to the control of region's aggressors such as the Persians, Mongols, and Turks. Nakhichevan became an independent territory in the mid-18th century and later joined Russia in 1828. At about this time, the region had a mixed population of Armenians and Muslims, roughly a 50-50 split. In the 20th century, sort of like Kosovo, Azerbaijanis became the dominant nationality in Nakhichevan. Transcaucasia in 1900 went from having mixed, scattered demographics where nationalities lived side by side to having geographically compact populations that formed clear majorities in 1990.

So Russian Armenia's population in 1900 was only 53% Armenian and 38% Azerbaijani. And Azerbaijan's population in 1900 was only 58% Azerbaijani, 20% Armenian, and 22% other. This changed during the Soviet period, with the nationalities in Transcaucasia becoming more consolidated and compact.

Bolsheviks gave to Azerbaijan.
Very misleading to say "Bolsheviks gave to Azerbaijan". Transcaucasia at the time had regions with no nationality in a clear majority, and Nakhichevan was one of them. And it wasn't given to Azerbaijan, but was made an autonomous province within Azerbaijan. It was inevitable that Armenia would end up with regions containing Azerbaijanis and for Azerbaijan to get Armenian-populated places.

Mosov
03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
President Sargsyan visits NATO headquarters today:

http://www.nato.int/nato_static/assets/pictures/2012_03_120306a-presid-armenia/20120306_120306a-001_rdax_600x399.jpg

http://www.nato.int/nato_static/assets/pictures/2012_03_120306a-presid-armenia/20120306_120306a-006_rdax_600x399.jpg

http://www.nato.int/nato_static/assets/pictures/2012_03_120306a-presid-armenia/20120306_120306a-011_rdax_600x399.jpg

http://www.president.am/files/output.php?fid=14045

President Sargysan also visits EU officials:

http://www.president.am/files/output.php?fid=14056

http://www.president.am/files/output.php?fid=14050

A free trade agreement is in the works with the EU including the intensification of political ties.