PDA

View Full Version : How does Georgian sound to you?

Padre Organtino
02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Dunno if it's the right place to open the thread but this seems more or less fitting. I have a rather banal question - how does Georgian sound to you? I have found this tv-programe that has botth male and female voices in normal tonality and I think it is close to representative (folk songs may often have weird intonation/pronounciation).

Quite a few people have told me it sound like Hebrew, btw.

2ZGYqu1X6VI

kBfCm3jSjgk

HY4Vys9Luh4

Magyar the Conqueror
02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
It sounds like Slavic mixed with Arabic

Queen B
02-09-2012, 03:34 PM
It sounds like Slavic mixed with Arabic

Same to me...

I don't like the way it sounds, actually, but I like a lot the written from.

Amapola
02-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Same to me...

I don't like the way it sounds, actually, but I like a lot the written from.

Same here; but I do like the way it sounds, I like languages with fricatives. :embarrassed

ნახვამდის

Volgarin
02-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Sounds a bit like a mixture of Hebrew and Farsi to me, not very melodically in my opinion.

eviline
02-09-2012, 03:53 PM
sound chechen and other caucasians and member of nostratic family as i know

Padre Organtino
02-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah, to be honest I think it's not really cool sounding (unlike say Greek, Italian or Belorussian) but I am proud of alphabet (invented by Armenians like everything in Georgia and almost everything in the world:D).

eviline
02-09-2012, 03:56 PM
i think that sound is not important and ancient and because has sound like this

billErobreren
02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
sounds alright, don't get the Hebrew comparisons though but it sure doesn't sound too different from that Chechen example

Demhat
02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
To be serious it has a similar accent to Armenian I watched on TV.

Padre Organtino
02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
To be serious it has a similar accent to Armenian.

Yes, while the two languages are completely unrelated they have rather similar intonations.

Terek
02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
How does Georgian sound at all like Chechen???

Padre Organtino
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
How does Georgian sound at all like Chechen???

Common sounds like k' and etc. They sound very different to me or you but not that different to a foreigner.

eviline
02-09-2012, 04:15 PM
to me they sound look likes

Terek
02-09-2012, 04:18 PM
to me they sound look likes

I don't know how this is possible, for me as my native language, I think there is no language that reminds me except for Ingush. Georgian, I cant understand one word and there are no words that I hear that even sound alike

Treffie
02-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Quite a few people have told me it sound like Hebrew, btw.

Same here, but with Russian intonation.

Katie Melua speaking Georgian with an English accent at 1.45

CT7Jdn0vpJU

eviline
02-09-2012, 05:02 PM
she has not english accent she speaks normal

Padre Organtino
02-09-2012, 05:04 PM

She actually has an accent but it's quite mild.

Absinthe
02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
To me it sounds like a softer version of Turkish, for lack of any better description :)

Padre Organtino
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
To me it sounds like a softer version of Turkish, for lack of any better description :)

And what about alphabet?:p

eviline
02-09-2012, 05:08 PM
everyone has different speak manner circassian totally looks like georgian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zmwwn_5YU

Absinthe
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
And what about alphabet?:p
Well the alphabet simply looks alien to me, I've never seen anything like it! :p

Padre Organtino
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
everyone has different speak manner circassian totally looks like georgian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zmwwn_5YU

I dunno, their psh-psh sounds are not very Georgian. IMO Avar language has pretty similar sounding vowels.

Terek
02-09-2012, 05:20 PM

East Circassian (Kabardian) to me sounds much less harsh than West Circassian (Adyghe language of Adyghe republic like Bzhedugh Abdzakh etc)

Kabardian

D3oQ21OPFH4

Adyghe (Abdzakh)
MaUkXPA3A3Y

I think Adyghe Republic removed all vowels to scare away so many Russians that live there:thumb001:

eviline
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
this looks like georgian too mingrelian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8tUpKfW3Dk

Terek
02-09-2012, 05:29 PM
this looks like georgian too mingrelian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8tUpKfW3Dk

This sounds more like Georgian to me especially compared with North Caucasian languages that dont sound like it at all.

Great song by the way :thumb001: I like it

Wanderlust
02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
sounds alright, don't get the Hebrew comparisons though but it sure doesn't sound too different from that Chechen example

Me neither :lol:

Hebrew sounds like someone is choking. Maybe because of the thick 'H'.
Georgian sounds cool and I'll go with Slavic as well. And yes, written Georgian is awesome!

Eva
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah, to be honest I think it's not really cool sounding (unlike say Greek, Italian or Belorussian) but I am proud of alphabet (invented by Armenians like everything in Georgia and almost everything in the world:D).

Don't try to diminish the Armenian role in the creation of Georgian Alphabet by your sarcasm.

In any serious scholarly circle it is asserted that Armenian saint Mesrop Mashtots created and gave Georgians their today's alphabet.

from wiki
It has been asserted that the Georgian alphabet was created by Mesrop Mashtots (who also created the Armenian alphabet around 405 AD and the Caucasian Albanian alphabet). This viewpoint is accepted by encyclopaedias, as well as by authoritative scholars.

Victor Schnirelmann has noted that the Georgian historians' somewhat painful attitude towards Mesrop Mashtots is conditioned by the "myth of some pure original indigenous culture."

Even Victor Schnirelmann had noticed your painful attitude lol

Padre Organtino
02-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Don't try to diminish the Armenian role of the creation of Georgian Alphabet by your sarcasm.

In any serious scholarly circle it is asserted that Armenian saint Mesrop Mashtots created and gave Georgians their today's alphabet.

from wiki
It has been asserted that the Georgian alphabet was created by Mesrop Mashtots (who also created the Armenian alphabet around 405 AD and the Caucasian Albanian alphabet). This viewpoint is accepted by encyclopaedias, as well as by authoritative scholars.

Victor Schnirelmann has noted that the Georgian historians' somewhat painful attitude towards Mesrop Mashtots is conditioned by the "myth of some pure original indigenous culture."

Even Victor Schnirelmann had noticed your painful attitude lol

And mister Schnirelmann is an ultimate source of truth. Wiki article also says that Anatolian Urheimat theory is now not supported by scholars. Congratulations with owning yourself and sparing me from furher debunking your ARyan fantasies:clap2:
Now on topic: that's quite probable though I don't see what the old alphabet has to do with modern one which is clearly different. Plus Armenian focus on things of distant past is quite unhealthy, IMO.

Treffie
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Oh silly me, I meant to say `neutral` and not `English` :embarrassed

beaver
02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
foreigners cannot even imagine Georgian's "many voices" (многоголосье).

Padre Organtino
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
foreigners cannot even imagine Georgian's "many voices" (многоголосье).

Yeah, that's the major element element of Georgian musical folk culture.

Midori
02-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Sounds like Russian mixed with Turkish and Hebrew. Pretty interesting

klarji
09-29-2014, 07:06 PM
There are four Georgian or South Caucasian languages. I don't like how they sound but anyway they don't sound like any other languages

Here they are

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aaCiovTNatg