PDA

View Full Version : Do You Believe in the Fey?

Argyll
02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Simple: Do you believe in the existence of faeries, the faerie realm/plane of existence, etc?

Mercury
02-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I saw a mysterious white, bright orb once, around this time last year. The anomaly took place in a parking lot around this time as well, just as it started to get dark and before they turned the parking lot lights on. This unidentified flying object zoomed in and out, in between and under cars at a rapid speed. The thing was about the size of a medium sized bird and projected a constant light at about the power of a flashlight. So it definitely couldn't have been a lightning bug or anything along those lines. Eventually, it flew into the sky and disappeared into oblivion in a blink of an eye. Not exactly sure what it is to this day, but one possibly scientific explanation is swamp gas (https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=swamp+gas+wiki&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest). At the time I immediately gave it the nickname of fairy, since it reminded me of this:

http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/2/2c/Navi_Artwork.png

Pyramidologist
02-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Simple: Do you believe in the existence of faeries, the faerie realm/plane of existence, etc?

Fairies are rooted in real people who were short of stature, particularly the Picts of Britain but obviously exaggerated overtime. Therefore i consider them my ancestors. Scholars and folklorists such as John Francis Campbell, David MacRitchie, Edward Burnett Tylor and Walter Scott all believed in the ethnological basis of fairies. Likewise i regard all myths or fairytales as having a rational historical (euhemerist) basis. To quote Haddon: ''fairy tales were stories told by men of the Iron Age of events which happened to men of the Bronze Age in their conflicts with men of the Neolithic Age''.

Pyramidologist
02-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I saw a mysterious white, bright orb once, around this time last year. The anomaly took place in a parking lot around this time as well, just as it started to get dark and before they turned the parking lot lights on. This unidentified flying object zoomed in and out, in between and under cars at a rapid speed. The thing was about the size of a medium sized bird and projected a constant light at about the power of a flashlight. So it definitely couldn't have been a lightning bug or anything along those lines. Eventually, it flew into the sky and disappeared into oblivion in a blink of an eye. Not exactly sure what it is to this day, but one possibly scientific explanation is swamp gas (https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=swamp+gas+wiki&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest). At the time I immediately gave it the nickname of fairy, since it reminded me of this:

could have been an eye floater -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

^ These are actually on your eye itself, but make it look as if they are not. Most people who claim to see UFO's are actually just looking at floaters on their own eye. They affect 70% of people. I have loads of them.

Piparskeggr
02-09-2012, 11:48 PM
In my understanding, the Fey folk would be akin to the Alfar, Tomte and Fetches within the Northern Tradition.

Having had encounters with such (I firmly believe), I am definitely in the camp of those who "know" of other beings than those which are usually acknowledged.

Argyll
02-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Fairies are rooted in real people who were short of stature, particularly the Picts of Britain but obviously exaggerated overtime. Therefore i consider them my ancestors. Scholars and folklorists such as John Francis Campbell, David MacRitchie, Edward Burnett Tylor and Walter Scott all believed in the ethnological basis of fairies. Likewise i regard all myths or fairytales as having a rational historical (euhemerist) basis. To quote Haddon: ''fairy tales were stories told by men of the Iron Age of events which happened to men of the Bronze Age in their conflicts with men of the Neolithic Age''.

Not all Faeries are short and small in stature. You have faeries from all shapes an sizes. From the tiniest sprites, to smallish piskies, to the medium nymphs, gancanaghs, and elves, to the giant trolls and giants.

This whole "Picts were pygmies" is ridiculoius. Sorry.

Argyll
02-10-2012, 12:15 AM

The way you described it, it does not sound like swamp gas at ALL. Science cannot prove everything, remember that.

Scrapple
02-10-2012, 12:22 AM
I voted no but I am a rationalist. If one can show proof one day then I will accept their existence. Don't have a problem with others believing in them though.

Óttar
02-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Was it a flashlight? :cool:

Argyll
02-10-2012, 12:24 AM
I voted no but I am a rationalist. If one can show proof one day then I will accept their existence. Don't have a problem with others believing in them though.

You can't expect them to just come up and show them to yourselves. They just aren't like that. They show themselves to us when they want to.

Argyll
02-10-2012, 12:26 AM

^ These are actually on your eye itself, but make it look as if they are not. Most people who claim to see UFO's are actually just looking at floaters on their own eye. They affect 70% of people. I have loads of them.

I have had eye floaters before and can definitely differentiate between an eye float and a sprite.

Mercury
02-10-2012, 12:28 AM

I do suffer from eye floaters and I have to say this was completely different. It was definitely a bright orb that shined without ceasing once. And the movement was independent from my eye, floaters move only when your eyeball moves.

Scrapple
02-10-2012, 12:40 AM
You can't expect them to just come up and show them to yourselves. They just aren't like that. They show themselves to us when they want to.

Well if they pop up for me then I will believe. Until then no. :)

Question Argyll do you think they are everywhere or a just a European phenomenon? Would you find them in the Americas also?

foreverblue
02-10-2012, 12:41 AM
not sure..to be honest

Argyll
02-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Well if they pop up for me then I will believe. Until then no.

Question Argyll do you think they are everywhere or a just a European phenomenon? Would you find them in the Americas also?

They are more primarily European, but there are related entities all over the world, but not in the sense that the European faeries are.

As for them being in America, they are. Since we came over here in mass droves, they came with us. It is not to my knowledge how the native entities and spirits got along with this, though.

Pyramidologist
02-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Not all Faeries are short and small in stature. You have faeries from all shapes an sizes. From the tiniest sprites, to smallish piskies, to the medium nymphs, gancanaghs, and elves, to the giant trolls and giants.

Elves appear in folklore and myths as small. In fact if you read the Old Norse texts you will discover that the Dökkálfar ''Dark Elves'' are synonymous with dwarfs. Furthermore most giants are also small, the name is a corruption and doesn't (always) relate to stature. MacRitchie (1893) covers this in one of his works, extract below:

But to assume them to have been of gigantic stature is both totally at variance with the bulk of the evidence regarding them, and at variance with the fact that the word "giant" has very frequently been used to denote a savage, or a cave-dweller. No more appropriate illustration of this can be found than the local tradition that a certain artificially hollowed rock in the island of Hoy, Orkney, was the abode of "a giant and his wife." Now, this same "giant" is also remembered as a "dwarf," and the largest cell in his dwelling is only 5 feet 8 inches long. Similarly, there is in Iceland a certain Tröllakyrkia (literally "the dwarfs' church") which is translated "the giants' church."

Note how in most myths, giants are called dwarfs. Its because the word giant has a dual meaning, especially in early usage. It also means savage or a cave-dweller (nothing to do with huge size).

This whole "Picts were pygmies" is ridiculoius. Sorry.

It has academic support, and has a lot of evidence. Furthermore its rational, instead you are proposing that fairies are spiritual or otherworldly entities which you claim you can see. :rolleyes:

If you are really claiming to see fairies as balls of energy, light (ior whatever you propose) then you need to be put in a mental asylum. You are clearly ignorant of the origins of folklore and myth.

Pyramidologist
02-10-2012, 01:04 AM
As for them being in America, they are. Since we came over here in mass droves, they came with us. It is not to my knowledge how the native entities and spirits got along with this, though.

lol.

Have you taken your:

http://www.petprescription.co.uk/userfiles/images/hand%20with%20medication(1).jpg

:coffee:

Argyll
02-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Elves appear in folklore and myths as small. In fact if you read the Old Norse texts you will discover that the Dökkálfar ''Dark Elves'' are synonymous with dwarfs. Furthermore most giants are also small, the name is a corruption and doesn't (always) relate to stature. MacRitchie (1893) covers this in one of his works, extract below:
No, they weren't Dwarves were a whole different entity. But I'll let a person who's more well versed on Norse folklore explain that.

Note how in most myths, giants are called dwarfs. Its because the word giant has a dual meaning, especially in early usage. It also means savage or a cave-dweller (nothing to do with huge size).
I don't know what legends you've been reading, but in Celtic folklore, giants were just that- giant.

It has academic support, and has a lot of evidence. Furthermore its rational, instead you are proposing that fairies are spiritual or otherworldly entities which you claim you can see. :rolleyes:

If you are really claiming to see fairies as balls of energy, light (ior whatever you propose) then you need to be put in a mental asylum. You are clearly ignorant of the origins of folklore and myth.

It's funny that you actually believe that. Since your ethnicity says Pictish, I'm assuming you're a swarthy pygmy :cool:

Oh, so now you want to start flinging insults at people who believe in the otherworldly creatures when you have no proof that they don't exist? This shows that you have nothing to refute it with and are lowering yourself to insults to try and tear down someone else's argument.

Mercury
02-10-2012, 02:58 AM
bodVJE4qVk4

Argyll
02-10-2012, 03:04 AM
bodVJE4qVk4

There was a Destination Truth episode where they went to investigate the Elves there. Needless to say, they got results...

Raskolnikov
02-10-2012, 03:06 AM
I have had eye floaters before and can definitely differentiate between an eye float and a sprite.
I have a lot of floaters and just now I saw a light in the bathroom. They go together actually.

http://www.southwestvision.org/medical/emegency/flashing-lights-floaters

Pyramidologist
02-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Oh, so now you want to start flinging insults at people who believe in the otherworldly creatures when you have no proof that they don't exist? This shows that you have nothing to refute it with and are lowering yourself to insults to try and tear down someone else's argument.

This is coming from you, who puts down the ethnological theory of fairies, claiming it as ''ridiculous'' when you don't know anything about it.

You are clearly not someone educated on myth or folklore to understand how they started. People thousands of years ago were not literally seeing spirits, ghosts, demons etc as they are described, but as exaggerations or gross distortions of historic populations through retelling. If you tell a story, that story after being orally transmitted a thousand years later will be distorted, but it will still have an underlying embedded historical truth. The elves, fairies and so forth in British Mythology are simply rooted in short statured people, who inhabited here during the Neolithic. Barrow tombs this far back have revealed people who inhabited these Isles were on average no taller than 5 ft 4, and many much smaller.

Instead what exactly are you proposing? Fairies are real spirits from another dimension who traveled with the Pilgrims to America? But you don't know how they got on with the Native American fairy spirits? Is this for real?

Argyll
02-10-2012, 03:18 AM
I know my folklore, I am very "for real". No one else here seems to be buying into your theories as well. ;)

Argyll
02-10-2012, 03:22 AM
Why do you keep saying that all faeries are short? That's a common misperception these days :rolleyes:

Heart of Oak
02-10-2012, 04:17 AM
http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9QXnjpTRPkC0A.L5B4iA5;_ylu=X3oDMTE2NTJobDA 5BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA1VLTU9CMDAxX zcx/SIG=11u57ctgu/EXP=1328879203/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_le_Fay

One or two fairie stories make sense, I voted yes, as I do believe in such things, however I have never been lucky enough to have seen any.
I do know people that say or believe they have, I will continue to believe just in case they do exist...
Post. Script.
Fairies

Fairies, elves, dryads, brownies, gnomes, trolls, sprites, elementals, and devas: all of these are fey. The fey are commonly understood to be Earth or Nature Spirits who reside in an alternate mystical and vibrational realm. There are myriad tribes in the fairy realms - as there are in the mortal domain. The fey are also just as busy, friendly, benevolent, mischievous, wicked, and passionate as we are. They can be opinionated, malicious, affectionate and timid; some are spiteful and vile, and they are sometimes just as mean spirited as humans occasionally are. I have enjoyed being connected to them and they to me since childhood.
The English language is painfully lacking when it comes to characterizing these beings, it has no words for them. We must borrow from other countries and cultures languages, as in the case of Dryad and Deva. I struggle to find words to illustrate my perceptions and experiences, of the fey, so please bear with me. It has only been in the last 10 or 15 years that I got a name for them at all - they don't call themselves fairies or elves, or the fey. They call themselves The Ones or The Kind, and us The Others.

I remember playing with the fairies, devas and elves around my grandparents homes, making them little houses and furniture in among the flowers and bushes. I recalled the stories from my grandmother about them and I wanted to be one of them. They always told me I was, but I couldn't shapeshift exactly as they could. I couldn't make myself bigger or smaller at will, I couldn't become totally invisible as they could, but eventually, I got pretty good at it. They were always playing their mischievous tricks on me and still do from time to time.

Being jolted awake by a loud knocking or someone, shouting my name - when there is no human or animal present - is not uncommon for me. The fey I reside and work with, know, and love, have somewhat peculiar ideas about what I should be doing and when. They will tap me on the shoulder sometimes - literally, I feel someone's touch. They usually do this when they want something, or when I need to water the plants or some really important thing like that is pressing.

I have known them always, but never have been as intimate with them as I am now. They have been in my perception forever, but never have I really understood them until recently. They are important in mine and my Groves' lives. They are there to assist us, both in the ordinary world for material things and in the Magickal realms for more esoteric issues. I ask for their assistance in some way every day and give them what I can.

So, what are they? Geoffry Hodsin characterizes one well in his book Fairies at Work and Play. He recalls meeting a golden fairy: "She is decidedly fair in colouring, full of laughter and happiness, very open and fearless in expression, and is surrounded by an aura of golden radiance in which the outline of her wings can be traced. There is also a hint of mockery in her attitude and expression, as of one who is enjoying a joke against the poor mortals who are studying her."

What is the difference between a fairy and an elf, an elemental and a deva? I will tell you from my perspective of working with them for many years. The fey exist all over the world. Here in the United States they differ from the European variety, just as the ethnicity of any area will differ from another. So, too do the earth and nature spirits of places differ. Here they tend to be more dense, a bit slower vibration.

This is why it is difficult for humans to see or perceive the fey, they have a much higher vibration level than we do. Their atoms are moving at a much faster rate which makes them almost invisible to the human eye. I certainly don't mean to imply that they are stupid, they are very quick! I just mean that they have more density to their vibration, they are more "earthy" and less "airy".

They also tend to have browner skin or a greener appearance than the ones from the European countries. Most of the fey that I have met here are not particularly friendly to most humans, although if they take a liking to you they stay with you forever. As I was writing this article I was trying to remember how I first got connected to the fey. I can't pinpoint a time when I don't remember them. I have always known them, but the ones I knew from here were much more animal like than the ones described in the fairy tales from Europe.

Some of the fey are fairly similar, no matter where in the world you go. "Garden" or "flower fairies" are small, mostly tiny winged creatures. Usually fairly delicate in appearance with the same type of energy as a hummingbird, if you've ever encountered one. They tend to be translucent, sort of shimmery, which is where we get the Tinkerbelle syndrome. If you look around out in the woods, or in your garden, you may see them as shimmering balls of energy.

There are also the Air or Wind fairies who are really big, like 50 feet tall, with huge wings. They look a lot like the traditional Christian depictions of angels. I often ask them to move clouds around for me so I can sit in my hot tub. When it's raining everywhere else, there will be a small clearing just overhead and we can star gaze from the relaxing heat of the tub!

Earth fairies look like small dirty brown children. They have a decidedly Native American look. I used to love to play with these fairies when I was a child and they got me into trouble more than once, by telling me not to go home when I heard my mother calling me.

Dryads are some of my favorite fairies, although they belong in another category altogether. Dryads are the spirits that live in trees, not the tree itself which would be the Deva. Dryads can walk around and may move from tree to tree, with the favorites being Willow and Oak. The Druids are said to have heard the Dryad's Song and were thus inspired.

Speaking of Devas, they are the spirits of places, like the combined elements that make up a meadow, or a stream, or a tree. Most everything is made of more than one element and has a spirit or Deva that resides with in it, its soul, for lack of a better description.

Elementals are the pure essence or spirit of an element, not to be confused with elementaries, mentioned in another article in this issue. If you could "be" water, earth, air or fire, you'd feel what an elemental is. It's good to do a meditation on each of the elements if you can, to really "get a feel" for them. The elementals, pure as they are, like to mingle with people sometimes, so if you meditate on them, be sure to ground well afterward.

Elves are the most common to see, and there are a lot of people walking around who I think are descended from the European elf lineage. Look around at people you know, you will notice some distinctly elven qualities about some of them. Besides pointed ears and being short (under 5'6" usually) what other qualities are there to look for? Well, a pointed face, pointed nose and round cheeks often denoted elven heritage. Some people just look like elves, there's no getting around it, and I think it's because some of them chose to interbreed with mortals. A lot of my friends are elves.

It seems that the resurgence in the popularity of the Celtic traditions has brought the fey to the public's attention again, and in a way that they haven't enjoyed for many years. I know that the Celtic traditions had a lot of lore and that they were very concerned with the fey kingdom, but that is not the only tradition that acknowledges or works with these nature spirits. Look around to our great and beautiful land to see the fey that exist here, you just may find that you don't have to go to Ireland to find fairies!

Try meditating on them if you have never seen them before and you want to learn how!

If you were to do a meditation to meet or see the fey, you would begin by sitting on the grass, maybe under a tree, or in one even. Somewhere outside where you are unlikely to be disturbed. Closing your eyes and breathing in the soft scent of the warm summer air, the wonderful smell of green wafting into your nostrils and down to your lungs. As you breathe, you notice a tickle, almost like the touch of dandelion down on your nose. You focus your perception (in your third eye) and narrow it down to the space directly in front of your nose.

Ask out loud to see or be shown you closest ally in the fairy realm. You may not "see" them at first, it's OK if you don't - they don't always show themselves the first time you ask, and you also may not have your perception to the point where you can see them. So, talk to them out loud at first, then later you may telepath to them, once you've established communication. It's very important to let go of any notions you might have about how they look, because that will prevent you from actually seeing them if they don't look as you expect.

One woman I know kept saying she could never make contact with the fey, but every time she talked to them, this strange cat would appear in her house and disturb her meditation. So, she would chase it away and continue on. This happened about 10 or 12 times before she actually mentioned it to me and I said, "why are you chasing them away?" It had never occurred to her that the cat might be a fairy appearing in a form she could understand.

If they don't appear after a couple of tries it may be that you are blocked by your expectations of them. Because they are not human, they have a completely different sensibility than we. They also are great shapeshifters, so you might be seeing them already and thinking they are squirrels, birds or cats! You never know, but you can get a feeling for them and eventually you will be able to tell which is the real animal and which is fey.

When you do see them or feel them, acknowledge them, thank them profusely for showing themselves, and assure them you mean no harm. Also ask them to make a deal with you, to not act from malicious or mean spiritedness. Asking them for their assistance or saying that you know they are far superior to "mere humans" is a good idea. A little flattery never hurts! They like to help, and they love to think that they can do things we humans can't manage, so they are usually inclined to comply if you ask for help.

You may want to leave offerings to them, milk and honey being traditional, but I have found that they are especially fond of Gewurtztraminer wine. They always insist on a libation when we have it in ritual and if we don't comply, they take it anyway - sometimes the whole bottle! They also like cookies and chocolate.

Ask them questions, ask them to answer in your dreams and then record your dreams. You will find them very cooperative, slightly mischievous and down right naughty sometimes! But if you are sincere, and you give them energy, offerings, acknowledgment and respect you should be fine.

There is a huge band of trooping fairies and elves that attends our rituals and I am convinced that they are there because we see and take care of them. The thing I appreciate so much about them is that they are very whimsical. They bring their laughter and their magick when they come into the circle (we invite them into our circle in my tradition). You can feel them running, skipping, hopping, and cavorting about. They like to cause us to say something silly sometimes, if for no other reason than to show us they are here. They are usually happy; happy that they get to play with us, whether WE know what that means of not!

heathen_son
02-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Oh, so now you want to start flinging insults at people who believe in the otherworldly creatures when you have no proof that they don't exist?

Argyll, I am quite comfortable in saying I honour the "hidden folk", but even I say that the logic in your statement fails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

You'd be on stronger ground advocating that you live a tradition rather than applying rationality to the arena of superstition.

Electronic God-Man
02-10-2012, 04:55 AM

The Picts were not pygmies. Furthermore, these scholars you mention all gave this ethnological basis for fairies in the 1800's and they were laughed at then.

Perhaps they didn't draw the connection that there were beings known as elves or fairies or similar beings throughout Europe and even the world. I suppose the world was rife with pygmies at one point? Pygmies on the one hand and also a quiet numerous race of giants as well.

Euhemerism would have us believe, for example, that the Aesir were really historical kings from Asia who ruled over Scandinavia. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of mythology.

Electronic God-Man
02-10-2012, 05:07 AM
No, they weren't Dwarves were a whole different entity. But I'll let a person who's more well versed on Norse folklore explain that.

In Norse mythology the dwergar and the jötnar are not the same beings. The race of giants were born from Ymir's armpit and from the mating of his two feet. :) The dwarfs later appeared "like maggots" from Ymir's dead flesh and were gifted with reason by the Gods.

Electronic God-Man
02-10-2012, 05:14 AM
This is coming from you, who puts down the ethnological theory of fairies, claiming it as ''ridiculous'' when you don't know anything about it.

You are clearly not someone educated on myth or folklore to understand how they started. People thousands of years ago were not literally seeing spirits, ghosts, demons etc as they are described, but as exaggerations or gross distortions of historic populations through retelling. If you tell a story, that story after being orally transmitted a thousand years later will be distorted, but it will still have an underlying embedded historical truth. The elves, fairies and so forth in British Mythology are simply rooted in short statured people, who inhabited here during the Neolithic. Barrow tombs this far back have revealed people who inhabited these Isles were on average no taller than 5 ft 4, and many much smaller.

Out of curiosity, how does an euhemerist explain the similarites between the Indo-European mythologies? Did there just happen to be a great number of great pre-historical kings, who just happened to share similar names, and institute religious practices remarkably similar, all in areas great distances apart where they now speak languages that are Indo-European?

Argyll
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Argyll, I am quite comfortable in saying I honour the "hidden folk", but even I say that the logic in your statement fails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

You'd be on stronger ground advocating that you live a tradition rather than applying rationality to the arena of superstition.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. But if you are saying I'm ignorant on the subject, then you are sadly mistaken.

Lithium
02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I do believe in fairies but not in the way the movies and TV shows like to present them. I have seen "things" when I was younger that I could call "fairies" but how can I be sure? Everything about them is just a mystery and covered with legends and myths... The Slavic folkore has a lot of fairytales and stories about samodivi (the Slavic word for fairies) and nymphs so I am sure that there must be something true and real about them. People don't create stories based on imagination, there is a real part in every story.

Argyll
02-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I do believe in fairies but not in the way the movies and TV shows like to present them. I have seen "things" when I was younger that I could call "fairies" but how can I be sure? Everything about them is just a mystery and covered with legends and myths... The Slavic folkore has a lot of fairytales and stories about samodivi (the Slavic word for fairies) and nymphs so I am sure that there must be something true and real about them. People don't create stories based on imagination, there is a real part in every story.

Exactly. Everything exists in a place of truth.

Heart of Oak
02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9QXnjpTRPkC0A.L5B4iA5;_ylu=X3oDMTE2NTJobDA 5BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA1VLTU9CMDAxX zcx/SIG=11u57ctgu/EXP=1328879203/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_le_Fay

One or two fairie stories make sense, I voted yes, as I do believe in such things, however I have never been lucky enough to have seen any.
I do know people that say or believe they have, I will continue to believe just in case they do exist...
Post. Script.
Fairies

Fairies, elves, dryads, brownies, gnomes, trolls, sprites, elementals, and devas: all of these are fey. The fey are commonly understood to be Earth or Nature Spirits who reside in an alternate mystical and vibrational realm. There are myriad tribes in the fairy realms - as there are in the mortal domain. The fey are also just as busy, friendly, benevolent, mischievous, wicked, and passionate as we are. They can be opinionated, malicious, affectionate and timid; some are spiteful and vile, and they are sometimes just as mean spirited as humans occasionally are. I have enjoyed being connected to them and they to me since childhood.
The English language is painfully lacking when it comes to characterizing these beings, it has no words for them. We must borrow from other countries and cultures languages, as in the case of Dryad and Deva. I struggle to find words to illustrate my perceptions and experiences, of the fey, so please bear with me. It has only been in the last 10 or 15 years that I got a name for them at all - they don't call themselves fairies or elves, or the fey. They call themselves The Ones or The Kind, and us The Others.

I remember playing with the fairies, devas and elves around my grandparents homes, making them little houses and furniture in among the flowers and bushes. I recalled the stories from my grandmother about them and I wanted to be one of them. They always told me I was, but I couldn't shapeshift exactly as they could. I couldn't make myself bigger or smaller at will, I couldn't become totally invisible as they could, but eventually, I got pretty good at it. They were always playing their mischievous tricks on me and still do from time to time.

Being jolted awake by a loud knocking or someone, shouting my name - when there is no human or animal present - is not uncommon for me. The fey I reside and work with, know, and love, have somewhat peculiar ideas about what I should be doing and when. They will tap me on the shoulder sometimes - literally, I feel someone's touch. They usually do this when they want something, or when I need to water the plants or some really important thing like that is pressing.

I have known them always, but never have been as intimate with them as I am now. They have been in my perception forever, but never have I really understood them until recently. They are important in mine and my Groves' lives. They are there to assist us, both in the ordinary world for material things and in the Magickal realms for more esoteric issues. I ask for their assistance in some way every day and give them what I can.

So, what are they? Geoffry Hodsin characterizes one well in his book Fairies at Work and Play. He recalls meeting a golden fairy: "She is decidedly fair in colouring, full of laughter and happiness, very open and fearless in expression, and is surrounded by an aura of golden radiance in which the outline of her wings can be traced. There is also a hint of mockery in her attitude and expression, as of one who is enjoying a joke against the poor mortals who are studying her."

What is the difference between a fairy and an elf, an elemental and a deva? I will tell you from my perspective of working with them for many years. The fey exist all over the world. Here in the United States they differ from the European variety, just as the ethnicity of any area will differ from another. So, too do the earth and nature spirits of places differ. Here they tend to be more dense, a bit slower vibration.

This is why it is difficult for humans to see or perceive the fey, they have a much higher vibration level than we do. Their atoms are moving at a much faster rate which makes them almost invisible to the human eye. I certainly don't mean to imply that they are stupid, they are very quick! I just mean that they have more density to their vibration, they are more "earthy" and less "airy".

They also tend to have browner skin or a greener appearance than the ones from the European countries. Most of the fey that I have met here are not particularly friendly to most humans, although if they take a liking to you they stay with you forever. As I was writing this article I was trying to remember how I first got connected to the fey. I can't pinpoint a time when I don't remember them. I have always known them, but the ones I knew from here were much more animal like than the ones described in the fairy tales from Europe.

Some of the fey are fairly similar, no matter where in the world you go. "Garden" or "flower fairies" are small, mostly tiny winged creatures. Usually fairly delicate in appearance with the same type of energy as a hummingbird, if you've ever encountered one. They tend to be translucent, sort of shimmery, which is where we get the Tinkerbelle syndrome. If you look around out in the woods, or in your garden, you may see them as shimmering balls of energy.

There are also the Air or Wind fairies who are really big, like 50 feet tall, with huge wings. They look a lot like the traditional Christian depictions of angels. I often ask them to move clouds around for me so I can sit in my hot tub. When it's raining everywhere else, there will be a small clearing just overhead and we can star gaze from the relaxing heat of the tub!

Earth fairies look like small dirty brown children. They have a decidedly Native American look. I used to love to play with these fairies when I was a child and they got me into trouble more than once, by telling me not to go home when I heard my mother calling me.

Dryads are some of my favorite fairies, although they belong in another category altogether. Dryads are the spirits that live in trees, not the tree itself which would be the Deva. Dryads can walk around and may move from tree to tree, with the favorites being Willow and Oak. The Druids are said to have heard the Dryad's Song and were thus inspired.

Speaking of Devas, they are the spirits of places, like the combined elements that make up a meadow, or a stream, or a tree. Most everything is made of more than one element and has a spirit or Deva that resides with in it, its soul, for lack of a better description.

Elementals are the pure essence or spirit of an element, not to be confused with elementaries, mentioned in another article in this issue. If you could "be" water, earth, air or fire, you'd feel what an elemental is. It's good to do a meditation on each of the elements if you can, to really "get a feel" for them. The elementals, pure as they are, like to mingle with people sometimes, so if you meditate on them, be sure to ground well afterward.

Elves are the most common to see, and there are a lot of people walking around who I think are descended from the European elf lineage. Look around at people you know, you will notice some distinctly elven qualities about some of them. Besides pointed ears and being short (under 5'6" usually) what other qualities are there to look for? Well, a pointed face, pointed nose and round cheeks often denoted elven heritage. Some people just look like elves, there's no getting around it, and I think it's because some of them chose to interbreed with mortals. A lot of my friends are elves.

It seems that the resurgence in the popularity of the Celtic traditions has brought the fey to the public's attention again, and in a way that they haven't enjoyed for many years. I know that the Celtic traditions had a lot of lore and that they were very concerned with the fey kingdom, but that is not the only tradition that acknowledges or works with these nature spirits. Look around to our great and beautiful land to see the fey that exist here, you just may find that you don't have to go to Ireland to find fairies!

Try meditating on them if you have never seen them before and you want to learn how!

If you were to do a meditation to meet or see the fey, you would begin by sitting on the grass, maybe under a tree, or in one even. Somewhere outside where you are unlikely to be disturbed. Closing your eyes and breathing in the soft scent of the warm summer air, the wonderful smell of green wafting into your nostrils and down to your lungs. As you breathe, you notice a tickle, almost like the touch of dandelion down on your nose. You focus your perception (in your third eye) and narrow it down to the space directly in front of your nose.

Ask out loud to see or be shown you closest ally in the fairy realm. You may not "see" them at first, it's OK if you don't - they don't always show themselves the first time you ask, and you also may not have your perception to the point where you can see them. So, talk to them out loud at first, then later you may telepath to them, once you've established communication. It's very important to let go of any notions you might have about how they look, because that will prevent you from actually seeing them if they don't look as you expect.

One woman I know kept saying she could never make contact with the fey, but every time she talked to them, this strange cat would appear in her house and disturb her meditation. So, she would chase it away and continue on. This happened about 10 or 12 times before she actually mentioned it to me and I said, "why are you chasing them away?" It had never occurred to her that the cat might be a fairy appearing in a form she could understand.

If they don't appear after a couple of tries it may be that you are blocked by your expectations of them. Because they are not human, they have a completely different sensibility than we. They also are great shapeshifters, so you might be seeing them already and thinking they are squirrels, birds or cats! You never know, but you can get a feeling for them and eventually you will be able to tell which is the real animal and which is fey.

When you do see them or feel them, acknowledge them, thank them profusely for showing themselves, and assure them you mean no harm. Also ask them to make a deal with you, to not act from malicious or mean spiritedness. Asking them for their assistance or saying that you know they are far superior to "mere humans" is a good idea. A little flattery never hurts! They like to help, and they love to think that they can do things we humans can't manage, so they are usually inclined to comply if you ask for help.

You may want to leave offerings to them, milk and honey being traditional, but I have found that they are especially fond of Gewurtztraminer wine. They always insist on a libation when we have it in ritual and if we don't comply, they take it anyway - sometimes the whole bottle! They also like cookies and chocolate.

Ask them questions, ask them to answer in your dreams and then record your dreams. You will find them very cooperative, slightly mischievous and down right naughty sometimes! But if you are sincere, and you give them energy, offerings, acknowledgment and respect you should be fine.

There is a huge band of trooping fairies and elves that attends our rituals and I am convinced that they are there because we see and take care of them. The thing I appreciate so much about them is that they are very whimsical. They bring their laughter and their magick when they come into the circle (we invite them into our circle in my tradition). You can feel them running, skipping, hopping, and cavorting about. They like to cause us to say something silly sometimes, if for no other reason than to show us they are here. They are usually happy; happy that they get to play with us, whether WE know what that means of not!
Written by a Druid.

Heart of Oak
02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
A fairy, or a creature of fey, also spelled fae, is an anthropomorphic being of magic and myth. What constitutes a fairy can change from culture to culture, and tradition to tradition. Some would include all magical folk into the definition, while others reserve the term fairy for the more ethereal and elegant of the lot. A few things carry across, however, foremost of which is the idea that a fairy has powers, and is also a being of mystery.

I will be meditating on this later today, the more I read the more I want to see them.
I have not given them much thought before, sadly, as I have been more involved with other types of the craft...
I do firmly believe that water always finds it's own level.
And that Nature gives all that you need, including friends, sometime's you have to say Good-by in order to say hello..,

Pyramidologist
02-10-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. But if you are saying I'm ignorant on the subject, then you are sadly mistaken.

He's saying you have posted a logical fallacy - argument from ignorance.

You claimed there is no evidence (proof) that fairies do not exist.

This is a well known logical fallacy.

The burden of proof always lies with the person who is making a claim. You can't say there is no proof that something doesn't exist, its up to the person making the claim to show it does.

The fallacious argument from ignorance you are using, is used by Muslims and Christian fundementalists who say there is no evidence Allah or God does not exist. Do you understand how silly this is?

It's equivilant to me saying - there is no evidence that a giant purple turtle isn't floating around in space.

The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim.

Since you claim spiritual fairies exist, you need to show scientific evidence.

Pyramidologist
02-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Out of curiosity, how does an euhemerist explain the similarites between the Indo-European mythologies? Did there just happen to be a great number of great pre-historical kings, who just happened to share similar names, and institute religious practices remarkably similar, all in areas great distances apart where they now speak languages that are Indo-European?

Many of the God names just reflect king titles and there would have been an original Proto-Indo-European or early Aryan king who originated those names.
Zeus for example, was in fact not a single historical figure or ''king of the Gods'' (although there would have been an original one). If you read classical texts you will realise the name ''Zeus'' is given to many other mythological figures, and then later imperial cults took his name.

Loddfafner
02-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Existence in one's own mind is still a form of existence.

Some wild speculation:

We are animals that are hardwired to seek out springs and high ground, and so have a sense of something there at such locations. I have wondered about the kinds of locations where I feel a sense of sacredness.

There might be something that dwells in particular spots that has some impact on the probability of events. From the perspective of physics, probability offers an opening to some very weird things. As Einstein put it, "God does not play dice".

Argyll
02-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Many of the God names just reflect king titles and there would have been an original Proto-Indo-European or early Aryan king who originated those names.
Zeus for example, was in fact not a single historical figure or ''king of the Gods'' (although there would have been an original one). If you read classical texts you will realise the name ''Zeus'' is given to many other mythological figures, and then later imperial cults took his name.

Dribble. Where's Osweo when you need him? :mad:

Pyramidologist
02-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Euhemerism would have us believe, for example, that the Aesir were really historical kings from Asia who ruled over Scandinavia. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of mythology.

One has to remember that the Indo-Europeans (Aryans) only arrived in Scandinavia as late as c. 2000 BC (The Cambridge History of Scandinavia, 2003, p. 94). The native peoples there were Lappids, who spoke Uralic. These indigenous Lapps are the basis of the dwarfs and other pre-God creations in Norse mythology (reflecting the Titans in Greek myth).

Old Norse texts describe the children of mixed Lappid-Norse marriages as ''half-goblins''. This is because the Lapps are the dwarf, goblins, elves etc of Norse myth. There are many more sources and evidences on this topic.

The Norse Gods were just deified Indo-European kings, while the pre-God primordial creations in Norse myth reflect the Lapps the Norse clashed with. This is why the Norse Gods are blonde and fair, while the primordial entities, dark haired or swarthy. The basis of mythology is basically racial conflict.

Osweo
02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
The English language is painfully lacking when it comes to characterizing these beings, it has no words for them. We must borrow from other countries and cultures languages, as in the case of Dryad and Deva.
SO untrue, and SO depressing! :(
WIGHT is one such word of venerable native provenance. ELF is another. :shrug:

Some wild speculation:

We are animals that are hardwired to seek out springs and high ground, and so have a sense of something there at such locations. I have wondered about the kinds of locations where I feel a sense of sacredness.

There might be something that dwells in particular spots that has some impact on the probability of events.
Absolutely fascinating take on this! I love the combination of adaptational evolutionary biology, cutting edge physics AND the vast reservoir of human historical experience of and musings upon actual 'encounters' with the range of phenomena that we clumsily bundle under the term 'fairy'. Bravo! :clap:

Dribble. Where's Osweo when you need him? :mad:
He's here. And here to tell you that it's drivel, not 'dribble'! :wink

*Rolls sleeves up

NOW, where, oh where, to begin with Pyro? :chin:

Ah;

The basis of mythology is basically racial conflict.
This is so bizarrely dogmatic, that it cannot fail to narrow your outlook to the extent that a huge array of highly relevant factors are utterly passing you by, rendering your pronouncements laughable at best. :(

Folklore... Inherited notions and stories. Is the package of knowledge so transmitted completely at the mercy of artistic fancy? Or are there other factors at play, which ensure that the retellings of each generation return to the same core ideas?

If you are right, then the traditions would get garbled out of all recognition VERY quickly, and your grey bearded authorities would be unable to extract their 'racial history' from it.

I submit that you are grossly deluded, and that there is much more going on that you seem oblivious to, all of which ensures that the basic model passed on remains coherent and faithful.

This is not an easy subject for me to talk about. I was raised very materialistically in some ways, and got in certain habits of expression that aren't suited for this topic of enquiry. I know, however, that the sum of human lore on these 'supernatural' matters is not something to be dismissed as the folly of an ignorant age.

I cannot, however, click that 'yes, I believe in the Fey'. There's too much loaded into that phrase. Is this spectrum of experience something to which it is correct to apply sacral notions of 'belief' to? Must we 'believe' in something to acknowledge it?

Anyway, it seems clear to me that we have been experiencing the same empirical things down the ages, that has been best articulated in the folkloric terms under discussion. There are particular reasons for the constancy in this, which result from a mixture of actual experience, eternal hardwired factors of the human psyche, and the internal logic of speculation on it all.

The unique historical experience of each people and locality will shape some of how the phenomena are rationalised and named, but they don't account for them in the first place.

We are mobile consciences in a wide world, where we can often find ourselves 'alone' in nature. We are a social animal, and desirous of being accompanied, and so will anthropomorphise a lot of what we experience when away from others of our kind. But the experiences remain, regardless of the gloss our minds put on them.

Raskolnikov
02-10-2012, 10:15 PM
^ the Fey are eyefloaters / nigger hobbits. Get with the times.

Electronic God-Man
02-10-2012, 10:20 PM

The PIEs knew of an actual gigantic tree. So large was this tree, in fact, that it was thought to hold/be? the universe. Some places where the IEs moved to remembered that one of their kings had hung himself on this tree, wounded himself with a spear, sacrificing himself to himself...other IE groups apparently forgot this.

They knew of a giant who lived at the beginning of time. (Wait, no humans were around at the beginning of time...) This giant was slain by the kings of the PIEs (Wait, no humans were around at the beginning of time...). These historical kings then made the world out of the body parts of this giant. The Sami, who are the dwarfs, historically appeared on the scene at the beginning of time from the flesh of this historical giant figure. The kings of the PIEs gave reason to these Sami...

The PIEs had a king who they called "Sky Father." They also had a king named "Striker," who happened to, at least eventually through the mists of time and faulty memory, be associated with the control of thunder and lightning, crop fertility and defeating a giant serpent. He was a great slayer of giants, which of course means that he killed Sami...but there were no Sami in the PIE homeland, so obviously he was killing some other primitive group of actual historical people. Mythology is the distorted history of racial conflict, after all. Another was named something like Neptonos...who became associated with the sea.

:confused::confused:

One has to remember that the Indo-Europeans (Aryans) only arrived in Scandinavia as late as c. 2000 BC (The Cambridge History of Scandinavia, 2003, p. 94). The native peoples there were Lappids, who spoke Uralic. These indigenous Lapps are the basis of the dwarfs and other pre-God creations in Norse mythology (reflecting the Titans in Greek myth).

Old Norse texts describe the children of mixed Lappid-Norse marriages as ''half-goblins''. This is because the Lapps are the dwarf, goblins, elves etc of Norse myth. There are many more sources and evidences on this topic.

The Norse Gods were just deified Indo-European kings, while the pre-God primordial creations in Norse myth reflect the Lapps the Norse clashed with. This is why the Norse Gods are blonde and fair, while the primordial entities, dark haired or swarthy. The basis of mythology is basically racial conflict.

Actually, the Sami are sometimes associated with Giants, though I highly doubt that Sami = Giants or Giants = Sami.

Alfar (elves) apparently means something like "white," so they are definitely not "swarthy." If the elves were Sami they would have remembered this and simply worshiped Sami that were STILL living beside them.

Moreover, elves, dwarves and giants are common to ALL the IE mythologies, which forces you to say that this means that all of these things happened in the PIE homeland to the PIEs. I'll point out that this means that fairies and elves in Britain were NOT accounts of pygmy people in the British Isles then...but I'm sure you'll just say that the pygmies in the Isles "refreshed the memory" of the Celts and Germanics that entered Britain.

Are we to believe that there were pygmy peoples all over the extent of Europe, Iran and India? Or would we be better spending our time looking for ancient pygmies in the steppes of southern Russia and Ukraine? :confused:

You understand that these peoples had a living religion, right? This wasn't something nothing more than it was in the 1800's with dim memories of "little people" and some guy that drives a wild host on stormy nights.

The euhemerist view belittles (and I would say denies) the religiosity of the entire world!

Pyramidologist
02-10-2012, 11:07 PM
The PIEs knew of an actual gigantic tree. So large was this tree, in fact, that it was thought to hold/be? the universe. Some places where the IEs moved to remembered that one of their kings had hung himself on this tree, wounded himself with a spear, sacrificing himself to himself...other IE groups apparently forgot this.

The axis mundi or world pillar (or tree) is not unique to Indo-European myths. Its merely an early concept of cosmography, you can find it in Japanese and Australian Aborigine mythology.

They knew of a giant who lived at the beginning of time. (Wait, no humans were around at the beginning of time...) This giant was slain by the kings of the PIEs (Wait, no humans were around at the beginning of time...). These historical kings then made the world out of the body parts of this giant. The Sami, who are the dwarfs, historically appeared on the scene at the beginning of time from the flesh of this historical giant figure. The kings of the PIEs gave reason to these Sami...

The PIEs had a king who they called "Sky Father." They also had a king named "Striker," who happened to, at least eventually through the mists of time and faulty memory, be associated with the control of thunder and lightning, crop fertility and defeating a giant serpent. He was a great slayer of giants, which of course means that he killed Sami...but there were no Sami in the PIE homeland, so obviously he was killing some other primitive group of actual historical people. Mythology is the distorted history of racial conflict, after all. Another was named something like Neptonos...who became associated with the sea.

Giants, beasts, fairies, dwarfs, monsters and so on appear in all myths. They reflect primitive peoples, especially of the Stone Age. A common feature of Indo-European mythology is the slaying of a serpent, but this does not mean it is PIE, what it means is that the IE's when they conquered the primitive Old Europeans or pre-Aryans elsewhere fought against the same serpent or chthonic cults. This is what happened. As i said mythology describes racial conflict, for example the Greek Aryan Gods vs. the Pelasgian Titans (Titanomachy), the Aryan followers of Indra vs. the demonic dasyu or Dravidians, Adamites (Aryans) of Genesis vs. the pre-adamite serpent cultists and so forth.

Actually, the Sami are sometimes associated with Giants, though I highly doubt that Sami = Giants or Giants = Sami.

The giants are the same as dwarfs. See the extract i quoted from MacRitchie (1893). The word ''giant'' has a dual meaning, it doesn't always mean huge stature, but a savage or cave-dweller - the primitive pre-Aryans.

Alfar (elves) apparently means something like "white," so they are definitely not "swarthy." If the elves were Sami they would have remembered this and simply worshiped Sami that were STILL living beside them.

The svartálfar and dökkálfar are though described as being swarthy.

Furthermore Loki, who is not a God, but of Jotunn (giant) descent is described as black haired and he cuts off the blonde hair of Sif. The clear racial context is obvious. The Norse Gods are blondes or fair haired of Indo-European extraction, while the giants, dwarfs etc swarthy or dark reflecting the Lappid indigenous population. Both despise each others racial traits.

Padraic Colum gives a good summary of this tale, found in the Eddas -

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/coo/coo05.htm

Moreover, elves, dwarves and giants are common to ALL the IE mythologies, which forces you to say that this means that all of these things happened in the PIE homeland to the PIEs. I'll point out that this means that fairies and elves in Britain were NOT accounts of pygmy people in the British Isles then...but I'm sure you'll just say that the pygmies in the Isles "refreshed the memory" of the Celts and Germanics that entered Britain.

They are common in Indo-European myths because the Aryans clashed with those peoples. They are not PIE. There is no evidence whatsoever that these beings appear in PIE myth. Mallory discusses this at length in his works, and notes how parts of Indo-Europeans mythology, is in fact pre-Indo-European. This was proven by Gimbutas, Graves etc in regards to Greek mythology. Poseidon for example is a pre-Indo-European God, and all the Titans (giants) are pre-Indo-European.

Osweo
02-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Pyro, your post above contains NO attempt to argue against what we've all said to you. You just state and restate your dogmas, with zero indication that you've even mentally digested our points. :ohwell:

Mercury
02-10-2012, 11:23 PM
To be frankly honest it seems as if sometimes the skeptic community acts like a dogmatic religious organization. Many things in the world still seem to defy science and these great scientists don't seem to care. I'm not suggesting there is some world-wide scientific conspiracy to cover-up the existence of spirits such as fae, but there does seem to be certain topics you can't seriously investigate. Astrophysicist Michio Kaku brought up the giggle factor (http://dailygrail.com/features/michio-kaku-impossible-science) concerning UFO's. Cardiologist Pim Van Lommel has some impressive stories concerning near death experiences (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkq8d-jkUwo) and scientific evidence of the afterlife. Survivalist Les Stroud has seen and heard bipedal apes while camping in the North American (http://youtu.be/Fc6hMfeOnSo?t=22m11s)wilderness on several occasions. (Bigfoot stories go back in Amerindian folklore, just like we had Gnomes & Dwarves. So they are perhaps somewhat supernatural themselves and not actual fauna) Yet this is all ignored, ridiculed, and laughed at. As preservationists and racial realists, we can obviously sympathize. When was the last time a prominent scientist came forward and said there were differences in races concerning intelligence? I remember the last guy came forward about a few years ago and was ridiculed and made to apologize to the world. While I hate to sound like a Creationist, it does seem as if skeptics all have to adhere to a certain dogma and make up absurd explanations for things they, or others, have witnessed.

I have a lot of floaters and just now I saw a light in the bathroom. They go together actually.

If one mistakes a spherical, glowing object that moves independently from the eye and flew naturally (unlike the herky jerky movement of floaters) with anything like you describe, then they must be seriously visually impaired. I've never in my life seen "light" eye floaters on a dark background. I've never seen eye floaters in the perfect form of a sphere that I can focus my eyes on. Not to mention that when I turned around and looked the other way, it was completely gone. It's safe to say this was literally a physical object. There is no mistaking it. Not to say it was a fairy or anything, but it was certainly the first thing I used to describe it.

Also if one is having problems differentiating from a floater within their eyeball and an object 3 meters away should immediately go see an eye doctor. They shouldn't be fit to drive a bicycle.

Raskolnikov
02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
^ I'm talking about eye flashes that occur along with eye floaters (though for me the latter are permanent but get worse when the flashes are occuring). You get sparks of light when your nerve is pressed upon. It's not the same thing as floaters.

I do know people who confuse such things for 'ghosts'. Sometimes I get confused myself for a second because it throws you off when you see a random light in the corner of your eye.

Also if one is having problems differentiating from a floater within their eyeball and an object 3 meters away should immediately go see an eye doctor. They shouldn't be fit to drive a bicycle. I've gone for it all and they don't care. I'm not a big fan. It only happens to me when I don't sleep / drink caffeine anyway.

Pyramidologist
02-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Pyro, your post above contains NO attempt to argue against what we've all said to you. You just state and restate your dogmas, with zero indication that you've even mentally digested our points. :ohwell:

Anyone who thinks fairies are spirtual entities or from another dimension are just ignorant of the origin of myth, and secondly dumbing down our race. We don't need quacks. It is the primitive races who hold belief in those things spirtually without understanding their anthropocentric origin. Australian Aborigines (who have an IQ of 70, mentally retarded range) think they can communicate with beings from other dimensions, perhaps Argyll should go join them? After all he claims he sees fairies as spirtual beings and that they ventured across to America from Europe with the Pilgrims...

Osweo
02-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Anyone who thinks fairies are spirtual entities or from another dimension are just ignorant of the origin of myth, and secondly dumbing down our race.

You are looking only at some of the rationalisations. You are dismissing them, but forgetting that they are purely attempts to articulate and explain actual experienced phenomena.

To a materialist such as yourself, the psychological avenue (Jungian archetypes - symbols and 'personalities' that we have somehow hardwired into us as a species or race) might be a more profitable route to take than this simplistic 'prehistoric memories' dogma.

And the origins of myth might better be explained by someone who has some notion of myth IS and what it is FOR, which you show no sign of being.

Undoubtedly, the earliest H. sapiens sapiens to inhabit this land already had a full stock of non-human but sentient and intelligent beings in his folklore.

Argyll
02-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Are the Mer people swarthy pygmy half fish people? An evolved aquatic swarthy pygmy branch?! :eek:

Flintlocke
02-11-2012, 10:01 AM
OK let's say the fairies exist. What do we gain from them? What's in it for me? You obviously can't sex em since they're too small. Do they give gold and diamonds or something?

Heart of Oak
02-11-2012, 10:28 AM
OK let's say the fairies exist. What do we gain from them? What's in it for me? You obviously can't sex em since they're too small. Do they give gold and diamonds or something?

I think if they do or did exist...?
Would be able to give you a lot more than what your looking for in life.
I would really just like to see them, I like to think such things as the fey do in fact exist but I have sadly no evidence...

Argyll
02-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Your knowledge on the Folk is obviously limited.

1) They don't exist for us.

2) There are Fey that one can have sexual relations with.

Germanicus
02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Pakeha was the name given by the Maori to the white skinned immigrants who came from the United Kingdom and settled New Zealand. The name also refers to Patupairarehe.
Perhaps the reason why the white people were called Pakeha by the Maori was that the strangers who arrived on their ships appeared to look like fairies or fair skinned supernatural beings.

mymy
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Do I believe? I am one of them! :D

Anyway, myths about those creatures are nice, and i certainly love them, but i don't believe there is something more than a myth.

Pyramidologist
02-11-2012, 03:44 PM
To be frankly honest it seems as if sometimes the skeptic community acts like a dogmatic religious organization.

Skeptics generally don't, its mostly only darwinists. However most modern skeptics are militant neo-darwinists. They claim to be skeptical of the paranormal, spiritualism, creationism and so forth but don't in the slightest question darwin's theory of evolution.:rolleyes: It's basically become an unquestionable dogma. Anyone who in the slightest questions Mr. Darwin is ridiculed, silenced or loses their job. In fact Darwin even has a shrine at the Natural History Museum.

gandalf
02-11-2012, 07:10 PM
I saw a fairy once , floating in the sky , dressed with a white sheet ,
blond and beautiful , she talked to me saying something like
" you will find " ...

A lot of similar apparition are related in all centuries , they are also called
" les Dames Blanches " .

And they are very smooth and gentle , not like this one :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xgru_la-dame-blanche_fun

Heart of Oak
02-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Do I believe? I am one of them! :D

Anyway, myths about those creatures are nice, and i certainly love them, but i don't believe there is something more than a myth.

Names for Faeries
Gaelic- Sith
Greece- Fata/ Destinies
Hispanic Countries- Hada
Ireland- Sidhe
Persia- Peri
Provencal- Fada
Suffolk- Farisees
Welsh- Fair Folk
Kinds of Faeries-
Bean Sidhe/Banshee- A faerie who is attatched to a certain family, and when one of the family members is about to die, the Banshee wails. Bean Sidhe is pronounced the same way, Sidhe being "Shee."
Brownies- Welsh and Scottish highland faeries, known for thier brown clothes and skin. About 3 feet tall.
Coblyn- Faeries that live in mines and find gold and silver, or whatever the miners are looking for for them.
Dryads- Faeries from all the Celtic countries (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) that lived in Oak trees and instructed the Druids.
Ellyllon- Welsh Faeries whose queen is Mab.
Elves- British and Welsh Faeries. Another name for trooping Faeries.
Gnomes- Earth elemental Faeries. Live underground and protect Earth's treasure.
Goblins- What we big stupid folk call ugly Brownies.
Gwragedd Annwn- Welsh lake Faeries.
Lepurchaun- Solitary Faery who makes shoes nad traditionally guards the gold at the end of the rainbow.
Merpeople- We all know Mermaids, but in case you've completely missed your childhood and never seen "The Little Mermaid," they are people down to their belly-buttons, and below there they have the tails of fish. Live in water and occasionally come up to sing to sailors and lure them to them.
People of the Hills- Faeries who live under hills.
Phouka- Dangerous shapeshifer Faeries.
Pixies- Faeries found in Somerset, Devon, and Cornwell of England.
Sidhe- The great race of Faeries found in Ireland and in the Scottish highlands. Was once the great Celtic gods of the Tuatha de Danaan but as people stopped believing in them they recceeded into the hills.
Subterranean Faeries- Any type of Faeries which live underground.
Tylwyth Teg- The most common Faeries found in Wales.
Unseelie Court- Any kind of evil Faerie.

__________________________________________________ ____

Greek
Aphrodite- Greek Goddess of Love and Beauty.
Apollo- Greek God of music.
Ares- Greek God of Water.
Artemis- Greek Goddess of the night and the hunt. Protector of women.
Athena- Goddess of wisdom, war, art, industry, justice, and skill.
Demeter- Greek Goddess of corn, grain, and the harvest.
Dionysus- Greek God of wine, agriculture, and fertility of nature.
Hades- Ruler of the Underworld.
Helios- Greek God of the Sun.
Hephaestus- Greek God of smiths and fire.
Hera- Great Queen of Mount Olympus. Goddess of marriage and birth.
Hermes- Greek God of riches, trade, and luck.
Hestia- Greek Goddess of hearthfire and domestic life.
Poseidon- Greek God of the Sea.
Zeus- Ruler of all the Greek gods. God of the light and the sky.

Roman
Apollo- Roman God of sun, music, poetry, prophecy, and healing.
Bacchus- Roman God of wine.
Bellona- Roman Goddess wine.
Ceres- Roman Goddess of corn.
Cupid- Roman God of Love.
Diana- Roman Goddess of fertility, hunting, and the Moon.
Faunus- Roman God of prophecy.
Flora- Roman Goddess of flowers.
Janus- Roman God of gates and doors.
Juno- Roman Goddess of marriage and women.
Jupiter- Supreme king of the Roman Gods.
Lares- Roman God of household and estate.
Libintia- Roman Goddess of funerals.
Maia- Roman Goddess of growth and increase.
Mars- Roman God of War.
Mercury- Roman messanger god and commerce God.
Minerva- Roman Goddess of wisdom, arts, and trade.
Mithras- Roman gd of sun and light.
Neptune- Roman God of the Sea.
Ops- Roman goddess of fertility
Pales- Roman Goddess of flocks and shepards.
Pluto- Roman God on the underworld.
Pomona- Roman Goddess of fruit rees and fruit.
Proserpine- Roman goddess of the underworld.
Saturn- Roman God of seeds and harvest.
Venus- Roman goddess of beauty and love.
Vertumnus- Roman god of seasons.
Vesta- Roman Goddess of the hearth.
Vulcan- Roman God of Fire.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Norse
Baldr- Norse God of wisdom and radiance.
Bragi- Norse God of poetry.
Eir- Norse Goddess of medicine.
Forseti- Norse God of justice.
Frey- Roman God of fertility.
Freyja- Norse goddess of prosperity, fertility, and marriage.
Frigg- Norse Mother Goddess.
Fulla- Norse Goddess of fertility and virginity.
Gefjon- Norse Goddess of the sea and fertility.
Gna- Norse messanger and traveller Goddess.
Heimall- Norse watchman God and Dog of light.
Hermod- Norse God of bravery.
Hlin- Norse Goddess of consolation and protection.
Hoenir- Norse God of silence and light.
Idun- Norse Goddess of youth.
Lofn- Norse Goddess of permission and marriage.
Loki- Norse God of mischeif and evil.
Odin- Supreme Norse diety.
Saga- Norse Goddess of history.
Sjofn- Norse Goddess of matchmaking and love.
Snotra- Norse Goddess of virtue and self- discipline.
Thor- Norse God of thunder, lightning, and streangth.
Tyr- Norse God of war.
Ull- Norse God of archery.
Vali- Norse God of the battlefield.
Var- Norse Goddess of promises and vows.
Vidar- Norse God of independance, solitude, and freedom.
Vor- Norse Goddess of self-discipline and faith.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celtic
Irish Celtic
Aine- Irish Celtic Goddess of love and fertility.
Angus Og- Irish Celtic God of beauty.
Anu- Irish Celtic Goddess of manifestation magick, moon, air, fertility, and prosperity.
Babd Catha- Irish Celtic Goddess of war.
Bel- Irish Celtic God of fire and sun.
Bran- Irish Celtic God of health.
Brighid- Irish Celtic Goddess of fire and water. One of the triple goddesses.
Bris- Irish Celtic God of fertility and agriculture.
Dagda- Irish Celtic God of the Earth, and father God. Leader of the Tuatha de Danaan.
Danu- Irish Celtic Goddess of rivers, water, wells, prosperity, magick, and wisdom.
Diancecht- Irish Celtic God of healing and medicine.
Flidais- Irish Celtic Goddess of nature, forsets, woodlands, and wild things.
Labraid- Irish Celtic God of the underworld.
Macha- Irish Celtic Goddess of beauty and brightness.
Niamh- Irish Celtic Goddess of beauty and brightness.
Welsh
Arawn- Welsh Celtic god of the underworld, terror, revenge, and war.
Arianrhod- Welsh Celtic Goddess of Air, reincarnation, full moons, time, karma, and retribution.
Amaethon- Welsh Celtic God of husbandry, agriculture, and luck.
Blodeuwedd- Welsh Celtic Goddess of wisdom, moon mysteries, and initiations. One of the triple Goddesses of the Welsh pantheon.
Cerridwen- Welsh Celtic Goddess of the Moon, grain, nature, poetry, music, luck, earth, death, fertility, regeneration, inspiration, art, science, astrology and the zodiac.
Dewi- Welsh Celtic God of dragons.
Don- Welsh Celtic Goddess of the heavens, air, sea, control of the elements, andthe moon. Ruler of the underworld.
Dylan- Welsh Celtic God of the sea.
Elaine- Welsh Celtic Maiden Goddess.
Gwydion- Welsh Celtic God of Warriors an magic.
Gwynn ap Nudd- Welsh Celtic God of te underworld.
Math ap Mathowny- Welsh Celtic God of magic, sorcery, and enchantment.
Myrrdin- Welsh Celtic God of druids, magic, and sorcery. Also known as Merlin.
Celtic
Airmid- Celtic Goddess of healing, midicine, and spring. Brings the dead back to life.
Artio- Celtic Goddess of the wild.
Balor- Celtic Goddess with a venomous eye. Good on the battlefield.
Branwen- Celtic Goddess of love and beauty.
Camalus- Celtic God of the sky and war.
Cerunnos- Celtic God of fertility, life, animals, wealth, and the underworld.
Cyhiraeth- Celtic Goddess of streams.
Druantia- Celtic Goddess, Queen of the Druids. Protector of trees, protection, knowledge, creativity, passion, sex, fertility, and growth.
Giobhniu- Celtic God of weaponry.
Lugh- Celtic God of druids, carpentry, and mason.
Llyr- Celtic God of waters and sea.
Maeve- Celtic Goddess of Earth, fertility, and war.
Manannan- Celtic God of sailors and merchants.
Margawse- Celtic Goddess of mothers.
Mebd- Celtic Goddess of war and drinking.
Mider- Celtic God of the underworld.
Morrigan- Celtic Goddess of war, death, ravens, fertility, the dark Goddess, and fate.
Nemain- Celtic Goddess of panic and war.

Nepthys
Lady of the House, Lady of the Temple, Goddess of the Night and Moon, Nebhet.. Nepthys bore one child by Osiris, Anubis. She is often shown standing at the end of the coffin of Osiris, with wings spread to show protection. Her, Anubis and Isis enbalmed Osiris together. Isis
The All-Mother Goddess, Goddess of Life, Goddess of fertility, Goddes of Love, Lady Great of Magic, The Great Enchantress. Isis is on of the earliest and most imporant Goddesses. No other Egyptian diety has stood the test of time as well as Isis. Her cult was not extinguished as the other Egyptian Gods, but brought into Rome, Greece and countless other countries, even lasting to the present. She is revered as the Great Mother Goddess, and often shown suckling the babay Horus.

Osiris
God of the Underworld, husband to Isis, He Who Give Life to Plants, God of The Nile, King of the Dead.. Osiris was murderd by Set, then brought back by Isis to concieve their son, Horus. The Sumpreme God, and judge of the dead. The symbol of ressurection and eternal life. Provider of fertility and properity to the living. When Osiris is shown with green skin, it symbolizes his death.

Horus
He Who Is Above, Horus the Avenger of His Father, Keeper of Wisdom. Horus and Set engaged in the Battle between Light and Darkness, during many years they continued to fight, until Horus won. Horus got his claim to his father's throne, and ruled thereafter.

Hathor
Lady of Heaven, Goddess of Love, Goddess of Childbirth, Goddess of Joy, Goddess of Music, Goddess of the Sun, Moon, Sky and Moisture. Hathor is either represented in full human form, with the head of a cow, or, the Holy Cow. She was a patron of all women, no matter what their postion was in life. Hathor and Isis are closely identified with each other.

Bast/Bastet
Goddedd of Cat, The Tearer, Goddess of women, and the Sun. Bast is represented as a woman with a cat's head, or as a cat. Like a cat, she was admired for her agility and strength. Bast defended Ra against the serpernt Apep.

Ra
Fathor of the Gods, God of the Sun. From very early times, Ra was a sun God. He took on many attributes, and even other names as the myths evolved. Since Ra is a God of great antiquity, there are far too many stories to list. One of Ra's daughters is Sekhmet, Shu and Tefnut.

Anubis
God of the Underworld, Protector of the Dead, The Jackel-Headed God, Patron of Magic, He Who Forsees Destinys. Anubis was born by Nephthys. Isis raised him like a son, and Anubis was Isis's constant companion and Guardian. It is Anubis who oversees the weighing of the heart against the feath of Ma'at in the Hall of Ma'at.
Above: Bast/Bastet

Sekhmet
The Mighty One, Goddess of war, Destroyer of Enemies. Her temper was uncontrollable. In one of the stories of Sekhmet, Her father Ra, was getting disgusted by the way humans were breaking the laws of Ma'at, and having no respect for the Gods and Goddesses. So, he sent his daughter Sekhmet to punish mankind. But Her temper got to great, and Ra took pity on the humans, and made her drunk to stop the destruction. Depicted as a female with the head of an lioness.

Neith
Great Goddess, Goddess of the Hunt, Guardian of Men and Gods, War Goddess (possibly). Neith was often seen as protector of the dead, as she also guides the dead, a female Anubis. Regarded for her wisdom. Usually pictured wearing a red crown of Lower Egypt.

Ptah
The Opener, God of archeticts, craftsmen, workers ans sculpters. He is said to have built the boats for souls of the dead to use in the after life. Ususally depicted as a man as a mummy, with a shaved head and beard. Hanging from the back of his neck is the Menat, a symbol of happiness. He holds a staff that has the ankh, djed and a was scepter.

Thoth
The Great Measurer, God of the Moon, Mighty of Divine Speech and Knowledge. Thoth was said to be the creater of language, a scribe and patron of all Gods. Thoth records the results on the Judgment Hall after the weighing of the heart. Often depicted as a man with the head of an Ibis bird.

Taurt
The Great Lady. Protector of pregnany women and children, and protector of rebirth into the afterlife. Often depicted as a pregnant hippopotamus with large breasts, the hind legs of a lioness and tail of a crocodile.
Ma'at
Goddess of Truth. Ma'at represents law, order and truth. She has created the laws of Ma'at. She is the female counterpart of Thoth. In the judgment hall, it is the feather of Ma'at that the hear is weighed against. If the heart outweighs the feather, the soul is given to Ammut. If the heart was less than the feather, it would go on to a happy afterlife.

Geb
The Great Cackler. Geb was thought to represent the earth, his wife is Nut and together there children are Isis, Nepthy, Osiris and Set. The royal throne of Egypt was seen as "The Throne of Geb"

Sobek
He Who Causes to be Fertile. Sobek was admired for he ferocity. He is usually depicted as a man with a crocodile's head, a crocdile, ot a mummified crocodile. The son of Neith and Sais.

Nut
The Sky. She is Goddess of the Sky, shown as a woman bending over Geb, the Earth, with stars on her skin. Nut is considerd to have been the mother of the sun and the moon. Her children are Isis, Osiris, Nepthys and Set, married to Geb.

Mut
Lady of Heaven. Mut is the Divine Mother, the Queen of all Gods. Usually shown as a woman w/ a vulture headress, with the crown of upper and lower Egypt. Sometimes shown with a papyrus scepter.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

In Greek mythology, Rhea is the mother of the gods, daughter of Uranus and Gaia. She is married to her brother Cronus and is the mother of Demeter, Hades, Hera, Hestia, Poseidon and Zeus. Cronus, jealous of the future power of his children and to secure his dominion, ate his own children but Rhea managed to rescue one son, Zeus. She hid him in the Dictean Cave in Crete and gave Cronus a stone wrapped in the clothes of the infant, which he swallowed. Thus Rhea succeeded in making him believe that he had killed all of his children. When Zeus reached maturity he overpowered and dethroned his father and made Cronus disgorge his siblings. Rhea is identified with mother goddess Cybele from Asia Minor and is also known as Rhea Cybele and Magna Mater ("great mother"). She was worshipped with orgiastic rites. Rhea is depicted between two lions or on a chariot pulled by lions.
__________________________________________________ ____

In the beginning, Chaos, an amorphous, gaping void encompassing the entire universe, and surrounded by an unending stream of water ruled by the god Oceanus, was the domain of a goddess named Eurynome, which means "far-ruling" or "wide-wandering". She was the Goddess of All Things, and desired to make order out of the Chaos. By coupling with a huge and powerful snake, Ophion, or as some legends say, coupling with the North Wind, she gave birth to Eros, god of Love, also known as Protagonus, the "firstborn". Eurynome separated the sky from the sea by dancing on the waves of Oceanus. In this manner, she created great lands upon which she might wander, a veritable universe, populating it with exotic creatures such as Nymphs, Furies, and Charites as well as with countless beasts and monsters. Also born out of Chaos were Gaia, called Earth, or Mother Earth, and Uranus, the embodiment of the Sky and the Heavens, as well as Tartarus, god of the sunless and terrible region beneath Gaia, the Earth. Gaia and Uranus married and gave birth to the Titans, a race of formidable giants, which included a particularly wily giant named Cronus. In what has become one of the recurrent themes of Greek Mythology, Gaia and Uranus warned Cronus that a son of his would one day overpower him. Cronus therefore swallowed his numerous children by his wife Rhea, to keep that forecast from taking place. This angered Gaia greatly, so when the youngest son, Zeus, was born, Gaia took a stone, wrapped it in swaddling clothes and offered it to Cronus to swallow. This satisfied Cronus, and Gaia was able to spirit the baby Zeus away to be raised in Crete, far from his grasping father. In due course, Zeus grew up, came homeward, and into immediate conflict with f

Argyll
02-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Some of that sounds very new age-ish...

A lot of the Gaelic names for the Sidhe/Daoine Sidhe are just the Gaelic names for Brythonic faeries and vice versa.

Unseelie Sidhe aren't evil, either. They are just darker in nature.

Why did you make a list of gods? Gods aren't fey. Not to mention that some of the gods' domains are wrong.

Flintlocke
02-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Ares- Greek God of Water.

WHAT?! God of Water??? :eek::eek: Who's the retard who wrote this, Ares what GOD OF WAAAAAR! Not of strategy or victory but the joy of bloodshed. Originally a Thracian deity who was imported in Greece later on.

Baron Samedi
02-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Threads like this are the reason why I don't post on this forum much anymore.

Fucking soulless idiots.

Pyramidologist
02-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Threads like this are the reason why I don't post on this forum much anymore.

Fucking soulless idiots.

?:coffee:

Damiăo de Góis
02-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Never heard of any of this. "The fey" probably only exists in the british isles and in america.

Osweo
02-11-2012, 09:44 PM
TSF, you really ought to put web links for where you copy and paste stuff from. :no:

Besides, that big fat list missed out the Lancastrian name: the Feeorin! :p

I recently bought a book on Lancashire folklore, reminding me of a lot of things I'd heard down the years. Lancashire was quite a hotbed of fairy lore, actually. The site almost of HM Prison Strangeways, just north of the city centre of Manchester, was once the Fairy Hill barrow. :D

dralos
02-11-2012, 09:46 PM
i do have a very great imagination,i like to draw all kinds of mythical creatures,i think it's very good to be imaginative bcs this is something in wich europe is very good at it,and we should continue to be.

Osweo
02-11-2012, 11:13 PM
i do have a very great imagination,i like to draw all kinds of mythical creatures,i think it's very good to be imaginative bcs this is something in wich europe is very good at it,and we should continue to be.

Yeah great, but have you ever been bewitched by a zanë in the mountains, while on the way to ravage the Kingdom of the Christians? :sherlock:

dralos
02-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah great, but have you ever been bewitched by a zanë in the mountains, while on the way to ravage the Kingdom of the Christians? :sherlock:
no but have you ever been fighting monsters while becoming a super sayian:D

RagnarLodbrok666
02-11-2012, 11:25 PM
no but have you ever been fighting monsters while becoming a super sayian:D

Yes...

but seriously, the Fey are just names and faces given to ghostly nature spirits with connection to the netherworld. An image used to explain the essences and elements in the natural world just like Jotuns and the Alfar.

Nothing true about the animal guardian spirits and a faerie queen who grants magical wishes like in the made up Wiccan/new age religions though.

The Fey can be explained by both natural scientific and mythological basis.

Pyramidologist
02-11-2012, 11:49 PM
2) There are Fey that one can have sexual relations with.

lol. You really need that medication.

Nameless Son
02-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Of course I do.

Pyramidologist
02-11-2012, 11:57 PM
You are looking only at some of the rationalisations. You are dismissing them, but forgetting that they are purely attempts to articulate and explain actual experienced phenomena.

To a materialist such as yourself, the psychological avenue (Jungian archetypes - symbols and 'personalities' that we have somehow hardwired into us as a species or race) might be a more profitable route to take than this simplistic 'prehistoric memories' dogma.

And the origins of myth might better be explained by someone who has some notion of myth IS and what it is FOR, which you show no sign of being.

Undoubtedly, the earliest H. sapiens sapiens to inhabit this land already had a full stock of non-human but sentient and intelligent beings in his folklore.

''Fairy tales were stories told by men of the Iron Age of events which happened to men of the Bronze Age in their conflicts with men of the Neolithic Age'' - Alfred Haddon

''That some of the myths of giants and dwarfs are connected with traditions of real indigenous or hostile tribes is settled beyond question by the evidence brought forward by Grimm, Nilsson, and Hanusch," observes Dr. E.B. Tylor.

In his book The Primitive Inhabitants of Scandinavia (1868) the archaeologist Sven Nilsson argues that the indigenous Lapps of Northern Europe were the basis of the dwarfs, elves, trolls and other beings of Norse mythology. Nilsson's euhemeristic intepretation of Norse mythical beings claims the Lapps were the historical race from which the tales and encounters of dwarfs, elves and trolls were based, but of course overtime exaggerated. One interesting connection of the Lapps to the elves is their stone arrows, which literally became the basis of the mythical ''elf-shot''. Because the pre-Aryan Lapps were primitive, they were still using stone tools and the mythical accounts of ''elf-shot'' were rooted in these flint arrow-heads of an early Neolithic or Upper Palaeolithic race. Another connection is bynames. Nilsson quotes from various old Norse Saga texts that the children of Norse-Lapp marriages are called ''Half-trolls'' or ''Half-goblins'' (p. 221).

Argyll
02-12-2012, 01:48 AM
''Fairy tales were stories told by men of the Iron Age of events which happened to men of the Bronze Age in their conflicts with men of the Neolithic Age'' - Alfred Haddon

Please come up with some new evidence.

''That some of the myths of giants and dwarfs are connected with traditions of real indigenous or hostile tribes is settled beyond question by the evidence brought forward by Grimm, Nilsson, and Hanusch," observes Dr. E.B. Tylor.

Dwarves and giants are very different than what these "authorities" claim them to be. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to crack open a book of folklore and research that?

In his book The Primitive Inhabitants of Scandinavia (1868) the archaeologist Sven Nilsson argues that the indigenous Lapps of Northern Europe were the basis of the dwarfs, elves, trolls and other beings of Norse mythology.
All of these fey types couldn't be more different than each other.

Nilsson's euhemeristic intepretation of Norse mythical beings claims the Lapps were the historical race from which the tales and encounters of dwarfs, elves and trolls were based, but of course overtime exaggerated. One interesting connection of the Lapps to the elves is their stone arrows, which literally became the basis of the mythical ''elf-shot''. Because the pre-Aryan Lapps were primitive, they were still using stone tools and the mythical accounts of ''elf-shot'' were rooted in these flint arrow-heads of an early Neolithic or Upper Palaeolithic race.
Elf-shot isn't even Scandinavian; it's Scottish and English. Elf-shot involves someone getting shot by and elf or other fey creatures arrow and becoming ill or having some other affliction felled upon them.

Another connection is bynames. Nilsson quotes from various old Norse Saga texts that the children of Norse-Lapp marriages are called ''Half-trolls'' or ''Half-goblins'' (p. 221).
Your knowledge of folklore is disgraceful.

Pyramidologist
02-12-2012, 03:19 AM
Please come up with some new evidence.

We are waiting for scientific evidence that fairies exist as spiritual entities and furthermore you have claimed people can have sexual intercourse with them:

There are Fey that one can have sexual relations with

again, evidence?

You think you can have sexual intercourse with spirits?

I don't like to to use the t word, but i think you are a troll.

You make a crackpot thread, post idiotic insane views - all for a reaction/attention (very typical for a 17 year old). This doesn't actually annoy me, what annoys me is that you are abusive to anyone who doesn't hold your crackpot views that fairies exist as spiritual beings you can have sex with. I've put up information for the euhemeristic origin of fairies, but you dismiss it without even researching it -

Your knowledge of folklore is disgraceful.

Iv'e quoted prominant anthropologists and folklorists who support my views. In contrast you've posted nothing of substance, just your absurd views you think people can have sex with fairies...

You've wasted my time.:coffee:

Argyll
02-12-2012, 03:31 AM
We are waiting for scientific evidence that fairies exist as spiritual entities and furthermore you have claimed people can have sexual intercourse with them:

again, evidence?

You think you can have sexual intercourse with spirits?

1) Lore states there are various sorts of fey that a mortal can have sexual relations with such as Gancanaghs and Nymphs (where the word nymphomaniac comes from :cool:).

2) Fey are not spirits in the incorporeal, ghost like form.

I don't like to to use the t word, but i think you are a troll.

You make a crackpot thread, post idiotic insane views - all for a reaction/attention (very typical for a 17 year old). This doesn't actually annoy me, what annoys me is that you are abusive to anyone who doesn't hold your crackpot views that fairies exist as spiritual beings you can have sex with. I've put up information for the euhemeristic origin of fairies, but you dismiss it without even researching it -

Me? A troll? Wow, lol. I don't get called that often. Just curious, what would you say if I said I thought the same thing about you? :)

I don't research your viewpoint because I already know that it is completely insane and so far beyond even considering. Also, reading what Osweo says about it (he's quite knowledgeable on these things) supports my opinion.

Iv'e quoted prominant anthropologists and folklorists who support my views. In contrast you've posted nothing of substance, just your absurd views you think people can have sex with fairies...

You've wasted my time.:coffee:

Absurd? I just responded to what Flintlocke said when he said that people couldn't have sex with the fey. :confused:

Heart of Oak
02-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Sorry if some of that didn't seem correct to some of you.
It came from a book, as for the Norse god of war/water, I went back to check an that's what it ses.
I did originally post for mymy and I though she would like more than just the Fey, as she was asking about mythe ect.
Gods are mythe after all, are they not? Espially Norse gods, there's one for every occasion. Tyr=war or Sekhmet=war if your a girl apperantly it's different for men and women, Tyr turns into Thor somehow.
It's all mythe by the way.
As for new age the book this came from is only a few hundred years old so maybe could be called new age, the mythe is much older.
Did you hear of the long boat found under a Pyrmid? Sorry off on another Tangent,I do this.
I hope nobody is offended it's not my intention to belittle anyone or thing.
Bragi is my Norse fav...

dralos
02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
you guys i'm doing a work about odin,could you recommend me some good books about him

Heart of Oak
02-12-2012, 10:38 AM
you guys i'm doing a work about odin,could you recommend me some good books about him

Odin stuff, I'll look for a good book for you to read. Okay?

Odinwas the chief god. Hewas the most powerful god in Asgard.

Odin was the grandson of the very first Aesir, Buri.

Hewas the son of Bor and Bestla. Bestla was a Jotun woman.

Odin was married to Frigg. Together they had the sons Balder and Hod.

He also had children with other women. Odin and Fjorgyn had a son named Thor.

Odin and Grid had a son named Vidar.

Thor was the strongest god in Asgard. Vidar was the second strongest god. Fjorgyn and Grid were both Jotun women.

WhenBalder died, Odinhad another son with a Jotun named Rind. The son was named Vali and he grew into manhood in only one day.

His mission was to take revenge for the murder of Balder.

Vali killed his blind half-brother, Hod. Hodwas forcedto join Balder and Nanna in Hel’s World of the Dead.

The world was created by Odin and his two brothers, Vili and Ve. Read about it on the page named Creation Story.
Odin - the One-Eyed God

It is easy to recognize Odin. He is the god with only one eye.

It was told that Mimir was the wisest of them all. Mimir guarded a magical well, named Mimir’s Well. It was told that anyone who drank the water from that well would gain the wisdom of Mimi.

Odin was willing to go to any length for a slip of water from Mimir’s Well. Nothing could stop him. When he was offered to drink water from the well in return for an eye, he didn’t hesitate. Odin sacrificed an eye and rejoiced as he drank the water of wisdom.

That is how he ended up not only being the wisest god in Asgard, but also the one-eyed god.

Odin hung himself for nine days

Odin made another huge sacrifice. He hung himself in Yggdrasil, the tree of life. For nine days he hung in the tree.

By sacrificing himself in this manner, he gained power over the runes and all their secrets. The meaning of the word “runes” is secrets.

Two Ravens

Odin owned two ravens. Their names were Huginn (thought) and Muninn (memory). The two ravens flew out over all the worlds every morning and returned every evening.

When they returned, the ravens whispered all that they had seen and heard to Odin.

Two Wolves

Odin also owned two wolves. Their names were Geri and Freki. Odin gave the wolves all his food from the table. Odin did not need any food to survive, wine and mead was quite sufficient to keep him alive. Geri and Freki followed Odin wherever he went.

Sleipnir - the Eight-legged Horse

Odin had a gray horse named Sleipnir. This was a magical horse with eight legs. Sleipnir could just as easily gallop through air as on land. The eight-legged horse was given to him by Loki.

In his possession Odin had a spear named Gungnir. It could hit any target. Gungnir was a special spear indeed. Gungnir means “the swaying one”. It was made by the dwarfs.

Draupnir - the Magic Golden Ring

Draupnir was the name of the gold ring belonging to Odin. Every ninth day eight new rings would drop out of Draupnir.

The eight new rings were of equal quality as Draupnir. Needless to say, it was the dwarfs who had made this spectacular gold ring.

Gladsheim

The largest house in Asgard belonged to Odin. It was named Gladsheim. Gladsheim was covered with gold, on the outside as well as the inside. The name “Gladsheim” means “the bright home”.

Odin had a thrown. When he sat on his thrown, he could see throughout all the different worlds.

Odin: the Father of the Slain Vikings

Odin was often called “father of the slain”

Half of all the men who died in battle would be taken to Valhalla, the hall of the slain. Valhalla belonged to Odin. The other half those who died fighting were sent to Folkvang.

Folkvang was the home of the goddess named Freyja. The goddess Freyja had first chose of who she would receive.

Valhalla was a huge palace with 640 doors. Every single door was extremely broad, 960 men could walk side by side at the same time through a door of Valhalla.

The Valkyries

The slain men who came to Valhalla were fetched by the Valkyries.

The Valkyries are women figures who are fully armed and rode their horses over the battle fields and brought dead Vikings to the afterlife at Valhalla.

Only the bravest and most fit men who died on the battle fields were chosen by the Valkyries.

The name “Valkyries” means choosers of the slain.

The Valkyries served the men mead at Valhalla and joined them for dinner. The Valkyries were described as very beautiful maidens.

In Valhalla

In Valhalla the men would amuse themselves by having fights with each other. If anyone got killed during these fights, they would come back to life in the evening. So the fighting could continue until Ragnarok.

Every evening they would have a feast. The boar name Saehrimnir would be slaughtered and cooked. After they all finished eating, Saehrimnir came back to life and ready to get slaughtered again the next evening.

The Valknut

In Viking times devotees of Odin used the symbol called the Valknut.

The Valknut is the made up of three interlocked triangles.

It means “the knot of the slain” and symbolized the slain warriors who died fighting and were fetched by the Valkyries and transported to Valhalla.

Odin will die

In the end Odinwill be killedduring Ragnarok.

Ragnarok was the doom of the gods, the end of the world.

The Fenrir Wolf will kill Odin. Vidar will take revenge and kill the Fenrir Wolf.

Vidar, son of Odin will survive Ragnarok.

dralos
02-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Odin stuff, I'll look for a good book for you to read. Okay?

Odinwas the chief god. Hewas the most powerful god in Asgard.

Odin was the grandson of the very first Aesir, Buri.

Hewas the son of Bor and Bestla. Bestla was a Jotun woman.

Odin was married to Frigg. Together they had the sons Balder and Hod.

He also had children with other women. Odin and Fjorgyn had a son named Thor.

Odin and Grid had a son named Vidar.

Thor was the strongest god in Asgard. Vidar was the second strongest god. Fjorgyn and Grid were both Jotun women.

WhenBalder died, Odinhad another son with a Jotun named Rind. The son was named Vali and he grew into manhood in only one day.

His mission was to take revenge for the murder of Balder.

Vali killed his blind half-brother, Hod. Hodwas forcedto join Balder and Nanna in Hel’s World of the Dead.

The world was created by Odin and his two brothers, Vili and Ve. Read about it on the page named Creation Story.
Odin - the One-Eyed God

It is easy to recognize Odin. He is the god with only one eye.

It was told that Mimir was the wisest of them all. Mimir guarded a magical well, named Mimir’s Well. It was told that anyone who drank the water from that well would gain the wisdom of Mimi.

Odin was willing to go to any length for a slip of water from Mimir’s Well. Nothing could stop him. When he was offered to drink water from the well in return for an eye, he didn’t hesitate. Odin sacrificed an eye and rejoiced as he drank the water of wisdom.

That is how he ended up not only being the wisest god in Asgard, but also the one-eyed god.

Odin hung himself for nine days

Odin made another huge sacrifice. He hung himself in Yggdrasil, the tree of life. For nine days he hung in the tree.

By sacrificing himself in this manner, he gained power over the runes and all their secrets. The meaning of the word “runes” is secrets.

Two Ravens

Odin owned two ravens. Their names were Huginn (thought) and Muninn (memory). The two ravens flew out over all the worlds every morning and returned every evening.

When they returned, the ravens whispered all that they had seen and heard to Odin.

Two Wolves

Odin also owned two wolves. Their names were Geri and Freki. Odin gave the wolves all his food from the table. Odin did not need any food to survive, wine and mead was quite sufficient to keep him alive. Geri and Freki followed Odin wherever he went.

Sleipnir - the Eight-legged Horse

Odin had a gray horse named Sleipnir. This was a magical horse with eight legs. Sleipnir could just as easily gallop through air as on land. The eight-legged horse was given to him by Loki.

In his possession Odin had a spear named Gungnir. It could hit any target. Gungnir was a special spear indeed. Gungnir means “the swaying one”. It was made by the dwarfs.

Draupnir - the Magic Golden Ring

Draupnir was the name of the gold ring belonging to Odin. Every ninth day eight new rings would drop out of Draupnir.

The eight new rings were of equal quality as Draupnir. Needless to say, it was the dwarfs who had made this spectacular gold ring.

Gladsheim

The largest house in Asgard belonged to Odin. It was named Gladsheim. Gladsheim was covered with gold, on the outside as well as the inside. The name “Gladsheim” means “the bright home”.

Odin had a thrown. When he sat on his thrown, he could see throughout all the different worlds.

Odin: the Father of the Slain Vikings

Odin was often called “father of the slain”

Half of all the men who died in battle would be taken to Valhalla, the hall of the slain. Valhalla belonged to Odin. The other half those who died fighting were sent to Folkvang.

Folkvang was the home of the goddess named Freyja. The goddess Freyja had first chose of who she would receive.

Valhalla was a huge palace with 640 doors. Every single door was extremely broad, 960 men could walk side by side at the same time through a door of Valhalla.

The Valkyries

The slain men who came to Valhalla were fetched by the Valkyries.

The Valkyries are women figures who are fully armed and rode their horses over the battle fields and brought dead Vikings to the afterlife at Valhalla.

Only the bravest and most fit men who died on the battle fields were chosen by the Valkyries.

The name “Valkyries” means choosers of the slain.

The Valkyries served the men mead at Valhalla and joined them for dinner. The Valkyries were described as very beautiful maidens.

In Valhalla

In Valhalla the men would amuse themselves by having fights with each other. If anyone got killed during these fights, they would come back to life in the evening. So the fighting could continue until Ragnarok.

Every evening they would have a feast. The boar name Saehrimnir would be slaughtered and cooked. After they all finished eating, Saehrimnir came back to life and ready to get slaughtered again the next evening.

The Valknut

In Viking times devotees of Odin used the symbol called the Valknut.

The Valknut is the made up of three interlocked triangles.

It means “the knot of the slain” and symbolized the slain warriors who died fighting and were fetched by the Valkyries and transported to Valhalla.

Odin will die

In the end Odinwill be killedduring Ragnarok.

Ragnarok was the doom of the gods, the end of the world.

The Fenrir Wolf will kill Odin. Vidar will take revenge and kill the Fenrir Wolf.

Vidar, son of Odin will survive Ragnarok.
thx brother

Pyramidologist
02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
1) Lore states there are various sorts of fey that a mortal can have sexual relations with such as Gancanaghs and Nymphs (where the word nymphomaniac comes from :cool:).

2) Fey are not spirits in the incorporeal, ghost like form.

Me? A troll? Wow, lol. I don't get called that often. Just curious, what would you say if I said I thought the same thing about you? :)

I don't research your viewpoint because I already know that it is completely insane and so far beyond even considering. Also, reading what Osweo says about it (he's quite knowledgeable on these things) supports my opinion.

Absurd? I just responded to what Flintlocke said when he said that people couldn't have sex with the fey. :confused:

Anyone claiming they have sex with spirtual fairies or ''fey'', like yourself, is not fit to be on a European preservation forum. You sound like a pervert to me.

Instead you should go join the David Icke forum, i'm sure you will fit right in there with all the nutters who think the Moon is an artificial piece of rock with Nazis inside of it, reptilian aliens who go in and out of dimensions etc.

Argyll
02-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Anyone claiming they have sex with spirtual fairies or ''fey'', like yourself, is not fit to be on a European preservation forum. You sound like a pervert to me.

Instead you should go join the David Icke forum, i'm sure you will fit right in there with all the nutters who think the Moon is an artificial piece of rock with Nazis inside of it, reptilian aliens who go in and out of dimensions etc.

I was here first :cool:

Flintlocke
02-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Adult men believing in fairies... :rotfl:

Loddfafner
02-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Cool it with the insults.

Pyramidologist
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Adult men believing in fairies... :rotfl:

Not only that, but Argyll claims he/or others have sexual intercourse with them. He's just posting absurd views for attention.

Argyll
02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Cool it with the insults.

Agreed. If you don't have any experiences or opinions to post no this thread anymore, please refrain from posting on here.

Mercury
02-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I should clarify, I don't think most of us believe in fairies literally as myths describe them. Rather we're talking about spirits, similar to that of ghosts, that ancient people have also witnesses and romanticized. There are so many cases of ghost sightings in the world, that it leads me to think there may be some truth to it.

Baron Samedi
02-12-2012, 07:29 PM
The whispers you hear in the woods at night are things like the Fey, land spirits, Alfar, Etins, etc...

The numinous feeling one gets when they stare at the Moon, or bask in fields of wheat as far as the eye can see... Same thing.

We are surrounded by what can only be called as "Them".

Whether you listen or not is none of their concern.

Flintlocke
02-12-2012, 07:33 PM
The whispers you hear in the woods at night are things like the Fey, land spirits, Alfar, Etins, etc...

The numinous feeling one gets when they stare at the Moon, or bask in fields of wheat as far as the eye can see... Same thing.

We are surrounded by what can only be called as "Them".

Whether you listen or not is none of their concern.

What? What happens in the woods at night is the air and critters big and small running around. That's what you listen.

Baron Samedi
02-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Not only that, but Argyll claims he/or others have sexual intercourse with them. He's just posting absurd views for attention.

Fuck off.

Sexual congress with beings not of the causal realm has been documented and discussed for ages.

I need not go into the whole succubus/incubus thing... But many secret traditional witch lineages had initiatory rites where one would (via the astral/aetheric realm) fly towards the Sabbath on the mountain, and have intercourse with the great Sabbatic Horned God (Cernnunos/Pan/Azazel/etc).

There are also modern-day Luciferian orders that go into some detail about how Lilith "initiates" her children via spirit/soul rape within the dreamscape (much like Mara or a succubus).

So he's not talking shit, or saying this to get attention... These are very serious and sacred matters to some people.

Heart of Oak
02-12-2012, 07:43 PM
What? What happens in the woods at night is the air and critters big and small running around. That's what you listen.

Listen closer or harder as they are their for all to hear...

Amapola
02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Not saying that this thing or that thing doesn't exist. I am anything except an skeptic, fortunately. But I would like to say that I have heard of people saying weird creatures having sex with them; the incubus/succubus type, I think some cases can be documented as hypnagogic experiences. I have had some... although never got to the point where I had sex.

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 01:19 AM
This is part of a University essay i published. My theory is that Ogres of folklore and fairytales are Huns.

Ogres appear in folklore at a far later stage (early medieval) and their basis is the Mongoloid savage Huns who invaded Europe.

Ogres as Huns

The earliest physical description of the Huns comes from the late 4th century Roman historian Ammianus Marcellinus. Although the ethno-genesis of the Huns is still disputed by scholars, with various different homeland theories proposed, there is general consensus that the Huns as nomadic pastoralists had settled across a broad territory of the Eurasian Steppe c. 300 BC (Cavalli-Sforza, 1994: 201). Only however during the 4th century AD did they appear as west as the Volga River, where they invaded the Alani who inhabited the eastern territory adjacent to the Sea of Azov (southern Russia). Although exact dates are not known, scholars have esitmated since the 18th century that the Huns invaded Europe around 370 AD (Gibbon, 1781 Vol. 3: xxvi. 346-348; Maenchen-Helfen, 1973: 45; Cavalli-Sforza, 1994: 201). Sometime before 391 AD Ammianus Marcellinus had completed his work Roman History, and so his work is the earliest recognised source on the Huns when they had entered Europe. The work (book 31, chapter 2, sections 1-6) includes various descriptive phenotypic traits of the Huns which alongside other extant physical descriptions in Jordanes’ Getica (551 AD) have been useful to physical anthropologists in determining their race (Maenchen-Helfen, 1973: 360-364). Marcellinus’ physical description of the Huns appears as follows (31. 2. i-vi): ‘‘Since there the cheeks of the children are deeply furrowed with the steel from their very birth, in order that the growth of hair, when it appears at the proper time, may be checked by the wrinkled scars, they grow old without beards and without any beauty, like eunuchs. They all have compact, strong limbs and thick necks, and are so monstrously ugly and misshapen, that one might take them for two-legged beasts or for the stumps, rough-hewn into images, that are used in putting sides to bridges. But although they have the form of men, however ugly, they are so hardy in their mode of life that they have no need of fire nor of savory food, but eat the roots of wild plants and the half-raw flesh of any kind of animal whatever, which they put between their thighs and the backs of their horses, and thus warm it a little. They are never protected by any buildings, but they avoid these like tombs, which are set apart from everyday use. For not even a hut thatched with reed can be found among them. But roaming at large amid the mountains and woods, they learn from the cradle to endure cold, hunger, and thirst. When away from their homes they never enter a house unless compelled by extreme necessity; for they think they are not safe when staying under a roof. They dress in linen cloth or in the skins of field-mice sewn together, and they wear the same clothing indoors and out. But when they have once put their necks into a faded tunic, it is not taken off or changed until by long wear and tear it has been reduced to rags and fallen from them bit by bit. They cover their heads with round caps and protect their hairy legs with goatskins; their shoes are formed upon no lasts, and so prevent their walking with free step.’’ (The Roman History of Ammianus Marcellinus, Loeb Classical Library, Vol. III, 1939, pp.381-385).

Marcellinus’ physical description of the Huns was the first of its kind written during the late 4th century and scholars have therefore noted that its content contains the first eye-witness account of how the nomadic Huns, the foreign newcomers of Europe, were perceived initially by the ancient Romans (Sinor, 1990: 203). In classical antiquity as ethnographic knowledge accumulated and more territory was explored or annexed by the Romans - they came into contact with different tribes and nations. It was therefore a common theme in ancient Roman literature that these newly discovered peoples would be physically described as unusual, disfigured, monstrous or grotesque as a natural initial reaction to populations with different phenotypic features. In Marcellinus’ text, his physical descriptions of the Huns correlate to their racial features of a Mongoloid origin (Maenchen-Helfen, 1973: 360-366). Although as noted the ethno-genesis of the Huns is still disputed by scholars, it is generally agreed they originated somewhere in Asia in BC times and migrated west eventually reaching the Volga River and entered Europe sometime during the 4th century. Paleo-anthropological evidence combined with the various extant descriptions of the Huns (as found in Marcellinus and Jordanes) supports the racial identification of the Huns as being Mongoloid. However not all the Huns had Mongoloid (Asian) craniofacial features because since they were nomadic and absorbed various local tribes there was a Caucasoid element among them (Maenchen-Helfen, 1973: 364; Sinor, 1990: 203). In fact the late classical antiquity Byzantine historian Procopius (i. 3) confirms this, as he contrasted two distinct divisions within the Huns based on the fact that one of these divisions, the ‘‘White Huns’’, were white skinned while the other was dark. The White Huns according to Procopius were mostly settled in a territory adjacent to Persia and they were less nomadic. The ‘other’ Huns in contrast, who later invaded Europe, were shorter, predominantly dark skinned and black haired of a Mongoloid appearance. Mongoloid or Asian cranial (morphological) traits are still recognised as distinct within forensic science: the face appears flat due to strong protrusion of the zygomatic (cheek) bone (Bass, 1995: 92; Wilkinson, 2004: 86), moderate prognathism of the jaw (Wilkinson, 2004: 86) and ‘shovel shaped’ incisor teeth (Ubelaker, 1989: 120; Eckert, 1997: 308). Numerous of these traits are found described by Marcellinus, albeit in an exaggerated or derogatory manner. Marcellinus’ description for example includes the mention of ‘‘cheeks of the children’’ which must have been distinct in the Huns compared to the Romans for them to have been noticed. This is reinforced by a quote found in Jordanes' which describes the Huns as having shapeless (flat) heads (Maenchen-Helfen, 1973: 363). These descriptions evidently relate to the craniofacial flatness found in Mongoloid populations. Marcellinus also describes the ‘deeply furrowed’’ cheeks of the Huns which accurately relates to the deep or coarse wrinkles of Mongoloids, as other races have wrinkles that are far less pronounced (Breus, 1990: 94-95). The description by Marcellinus of Huns of very young age having these strongly marked features is clearly a distortion, as wrinkles only develop far later in an old age. Nonetheless despite Marcellinus’ descriptions being exaggerated or distorted they still contain accurate phenotypic descriptions of Mongoloids, supported by the palaeo-anthropology. Such features would have scared the Europeans where the Huns encountered.

The Huns as newcomers to Europe and who were racially predominantly Mongoloid (having physical features the Romans had not before encountered) gave rise to Roman authors turning them into beasts or monsters through demonization. Jordanes thus developed an aetiological theory to account for their difference in physiognomy; he believed they were created through the intercourse of Gothic witches and evil spirits (Getica, xxiv. 121-122). Many Christian authors likewise considered them to be the product or descendants of devils, beasts, monsters or the apocalyptic horsemen (Maenchen-Helfen, 1973: 4-5). In Germanic folklore the Huns became known as the Hüne meaning giants (Grimm, 1844: 522-523; Taylor, 1865: 302; Krappe, 1930: 87). In etymology the Huns are also connected to the monstrous ogres of fairytales. The word ogre is French, appearing in 12th century literature deriving from the Old French Hongrois or Hongre which means Hungarian (Maenchen-Helfen, 1973: 5). The Hungarians derived their name from the Ogur or Onogur (‘‘ten ogurs’’), Utigur or in Slavic Ungri, a tribal confederacy which is the ultimate origin of the word Ogre (MacRitchie, 1884: 30). The ancestors of the Hungarians were the Ugrians, or Ungorians, who spoke Finno-Ugric; however there were Huns among this population ultimately where the Hun prefix of the country Hungary or in older literature Hungaria derived (further Hungarian-Hun links are found in the medieval chronicle Gesta Hungarorum). Culture, linguistics, anthropology and genetics have also linked the Huns and the Hungarians to the Turkic-Bulgars. These populations (including the Huns) who had Mongoloid physical features are the originators of Ogres in fairytales across Europe. The Ogres of course in folklore and fairytales appear as disfigured humanoids, and this started by the fact that the Mongoloids who invaded Europe, such as the Huns (from the 4th century) had different phenotypic traits such as flatter faces. Marcellinus describes the ‘‘strong limbs and thick necks’’ of the Huns and Jordanes their small eyes which are also typical Mongoloid features (Maenchen-Helfen, 1973: 362-363). Marcellinus’ calls the Huns repeatedly ‘‘ugly’’ in phenotype as well as monstrous and ‘‘misshapen’’. The latter is particularly of interest as it shows that the Romans perceived the Huns to be physically different and were frightened or perplexed of their phenotypic traits because they had never before encountered them. This fact explains why some of these descriptions became exaggerated or distorted. Marcellinus clearly had negative emotions towards the Huns since they were newcomers to Europe and so as noted their different Mongoloid physical appearance easily turned them into monsters. The Huns were also notoriously known for their barbaric treatment of prisoners or captives, pillaging, torture methods and also earned a very bad reputation among the Romans for their general fierceness. These bad traits combined with the fact the Huns had differing Mongoloid facial features quickly turned them into the ogres and related malicious beasts of folklore and fairytale. The Huns who are the basis of ogres also are the underlying basis of orcs, as ogre is further cognate with the Italian word orco popularised by Giambattista Basile in the early 17th century. J.R.R Tolkien’s orcs were modelled specifically on the Huns, a fact revealed in a personal letter written by Tolkien where he describes them being based on a ‘‘Mongol type’’ which appeared initially scary to Europeans (Fisher, 2011: 99-100). Some folklorists and linguists have further attempted to connect the word Huns to the English word hunger (Old English: Hungor; Old High German: Hungar) and thus propose that this word is rooted in the traditions of the Huns or ogres being savage and hungry (Yearsley, 1924: 10).

Sources

Cavalli-Sforza. Luigi Luca. The History and Geography of Human Genes. Princeton University Press, 1994.
Maenchen-Helfen, Otto. The World of the Huns: studies in their history and culture. University of California Press, 1973.

Gibbon. Edward. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Volume 3.
W. Hallhead, 1781.

Yearsley. MacLeod. The Folklore of Fairytale. Kessinger Publishing 2005 (1924 reprint).

Sinor. Denis. The Cambridge History of Early Inner Asia. Cambridge University Press, 1990.

Fisher. Jason. Tolkien and the Study of His Sources: Critical Essays. McFarland, 2011.

Brues. Alice Mossie. People and Races.
Waveland Press, 1990.

Wilkinson. Caroline. Forensic Facial Reconstruction. Cambridge University Press, 2004.

Krappe. Alexander Haggerty. Science of Folklore. Kessinger Publishing, 2003 (1930 reprint).

Bass, William M. Human Osteology: A Laboratory and Field Manual. Columbia: Missouri Archaeological Society, Inc., 1995.

Ubelaker, Douglas H. Human Skeletal Remains: Excavation, Analysis and Interpretation. Washington: Taraxacum, 1989.

Eckert, William G. Introduction to Forensic Science. United States of America:
CRC Press, Inc., 1997.

Grimm. Jacob. Teutonic Mythology. Vol. 2. Courier Dover Publications 2004 (1844 reprint).

MacRitchie. David. Ancient and Modern Britons: a retrospect, Vol. 1.
K. Paul, Trench & co., 1884

Taylor. Isaac. Words and Places or Etymological Illustrations of History, Ethnology and Geography. Kessinger Publishing, 2005 (1865 reprint).

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Fuck off.

Sexual congress with beings not of the causal realm has been documented and discussed for ages.

I need not go into the whole succubus/incubus thing... But many secret traditional witch lineages had initiatory rites where one would (via the astral/aetheric realm) fly towards the Sabbath on the mountain, and have intercourse with the great Sabbatic Horned God (Cernnunos/Pan/Azazel/etc).

There are also modern-day Luciferian orders that go into some detail about how Lilith "initiates" her children via spirit/soul rape within the dreamscape (much like Mara or a succubus).

So he's not talking shit, or saying this to get attention... These are very serious and sacred matters to some people.

Another nutter.:(

Electronic God-Man
02-13-2012, 01:37 AM
^ Wow. That's great, I think you nailed it on the head.

Wiki:

The ogres in this rhyme may refer to the ogres who, in the pseudohistorical work History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth, were the inhabitants of Britain prior to human settlement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre

There must have been Huns living in Britain too!

Argyll
02-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Another nutter.:(

You complain about other people insulting your ideas/theories, yet you insult people who believe in they fey. :rolleyes:

Lodd said to stop insulting people. I suggest you just stop posting on this thread.

Mercury
02-13-2012, 01:41 AM
I actually like the theory that Dwarves/Gnomes are actually based upon Neanderthals. But it seems a tad far-fetched seeing as how long ago Neanderthals died off. Still, it would be cool if our ancestors remembered them thousands of years after their extinction. :D

Beorn
02-13-2012, 01:45 AM
I get all my knowledge of trolls and ogres from the incredibly accurate manuscript of Ibn Fadlan. :coffee:

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 01:47 AM
^ Wow. That's great, I think you nailed it on the head.

Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre

There must have been Huns living in Britain too!

There may have been a very small colony here, but they were killed off according to Geoffrey of Monmouth. They were wiped out at alongside the Humber.

Argyll
02-13-2012, 01:50 AM
I actually like the theory that Dwarves/Gnomes are actually based upon Neanderthals. But it seems a tad far-fetched seeing as how long ago Neanderthals died off. Still, it would be cool if our ancestors remembered them thousands of years after their extinction. :D

Dwaves and Gnomes have been described so fa from neanderthals. Dwarves live underground and are known for their smithing abilities. Gnomes, I'm not to well versed on (and not so much dwarves, either :P), but I think they are mischievous creatures or something to that effect.

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 01:53 AM

Video of interest, if you are into cryptzoology -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ogQbnFEJg

Some anthropologists argue Neanderthals survived into more later historic periods, for example appearing as the Satyr in Greek myth.

PDF - Hominid survival

http://www.cfz.org.uk/almasty.pdf

I'm not so hot on this theory but i find it interesting. I don't believe Neanderthals died out, i believe we directed evolved out of them, however could some not have evolved and retained their archaic morphology?

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Dwaves and Gnomes have been described so fa from neanderthals. Dwarves live underground and are known for their smithing abilities. Gnomes, I'm not to well versed on (and not so much dwarves, either :P), but I think they are mischievous creatures or something to that effect.

can you answer the question i left on your page?

Electronic God-Man
02-13-2012, 02:07 AM
There may have been a very small colony here, but they were killed off according to Geoffrey of Monmouth. They were wiped out at alongside the Humber.

That's precious. A small colony of Huns living in Britain before the British?

Osweo
02-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Is fairy an English word?

No. We got it off the Normans.

Did we have such beings in our folklore before we learnt the Normans' word?

Yes.

That the ogre word was a distant ethnonym adopted for inhuman giants is uncontested. English didn't have direct experience of Huns, it was just something we heard rumours of, and naturally it got applied to more familiar yet ahistorical characters.

Um... you WERE joking there? Hard to tell with you. :ohwell:

Logan
02-13-2012, 02:10 AM
http://www.crystalmirage.com/media/green_full.jpg

My sisters use to put some of these in the bushes. For a time I wondered about them. :D

No I do not believe in any such thing. ;)

Osweo
02-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Hehe, while checking the etymology, I found a great Tolkien quote:

c.1300, fairie, "enchantment, magic," from O.Fr. faerie "land of fairies, meeting of fairies, enchantment, magic," from fae "fay," from L. fata (pl.) "the Fates," from PIE *bha- "to speak" (see fame). As "a supernatural creature" from late 14c. [contra Tolkien; cf. "This maketh that ther been no fairyes" in "Wife of Bath's Tale"], perhaps via intermediate forms such as fairie knight "supernatural or legendary knight" (early 14c.). The diminutive winged beings so-called in children's stories seem to date from early 17c.

Yet I suspect that this flower-and-butterfly minuteness was also a product of “rationalization,” which transformed the glamour of Elfland into mere finesse, and invisibility into a fragility that could hide in a cowslip or shrink behind a blade of grass. It seems to become fashionable soon after the great voyages had begun to make the world seem too narrow to hold both men and elves; when the magic land of Hy Breasail in the West had become the mere Brazils, the land of red-dye-wood. [J.R.R. Tolkien," On Fairy-Stories," 1947]

The slang meaning "effeminate male homosexual" is first recorded 1895. Fairy ring is from 1590s. Fossil sea urchins found on the English downlands were called fairy loaves.

Mercury
02-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Video of interest, if you are into cryptzoology -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ogQbnFEJg

Some anthropologists argue Neanderthals survived into more later historic periods, for example appearing as the Satyr in Greek myth.

PDF - Hominid survival

http://www.cfz.org.uk/almasty.pdf

I'm not so hot on this theory but i find it interesting. I don't believe Neanderthals died out, i believe we directed evolved out of them, however could some not have evolved and retained their archaic morphology?

I am actually very interested (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41453)in cryptozoology & (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41402) zoology, although I'm skeptical of cryptids 99% of the time. Including the famous once such as Lochness. Well anyways, I checked out your video and disagree that there is a bigfoot/neanderthal connection. I do think it's likely neanderthals survived longer than we may have expected, but I have a more likely theory on bigfoot:

1. Bigfoot and feral primates in the Americas. During the 19th century, when large parts of America were still rural including Florida (closest climate to Africa) and there were no ecological departments like the EPA, many American zoo owners would simply release animals into the wild. That and illegally-owned (or legal at the time? Not sure if there were too many laws on exotic animals) Apes could've been released into the wild when they became too large to handle. There's actually a confirmed population of invasive monkeys in Florida that have settled in the everglades and still thrive to this day. Note the infamous skunk ape (https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Skunk%20ape&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=HYE4T-WSF-Wn0AGwwt2WAQ&biw=1024&bih=657&sei=H4E4T4mTAYLt0gGOoPDBAg)looks strikingly similar to an Orangutan. It makes perfect sense, Orangutans are solitary animals and are known to walk bipedally.

2. Amerindians had stories of bigfoots. Since bigfoots are an indian legend, I think it's likely the Gigantopithecus crossed the land bridge from Siberia into North America. They would've went extinct by now, probably due to hunting. But no doubt the Amerindians would've kept them in legend, just like Europeans tell stories of wildmen.

So I think these two theories combined explain the bigfoot sightings in the United States. Not sure about the Yeti sightings in Asia, could perhaps be a surviving Gigantopithecus.

I would love for nothing more than modern day Europeans or Eurasians being descended from Neanderthals, but I don't see how that's likely. Could you tell me more about this?

Loddfafner
02-13-2012, 02:34 AM
They would've went extinct by now, probably due to extinction.

That would do the trick.

Mercury
02-13-2012, 02:38 AM
That would do the trick.

I meant to say hunting :p

Although I should bring up the possibility that bigfoot is purely a supernatural entity and was never a creature to begin with.

Heart of Oak
02-13-2012, 02:53 AM
Faeriees are cool, that's for sure.
You can argue till your blue in the face, the fact is...
The fae are cool. In all thierry and fable.
Wether you have seen them or not.
Yes they exist in people's minds, for a reason, like...
All spiders are poison in people's minds.
I like spiders and I like the fay.

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
That's precious. A small colony of Huns living in Britain before the British?

No. According to Geoffrey of Monmouth a small colony of them arrived during the reign of Locrinus. It's hard to fit this in terms of chronology though, but according to the research of MacRitchie, the Huns reached Britain. I'll do an essay on this in the future.

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I would love for nothing more than modern day Europeans or Eurasians being descended from Neanderthals, but I don't see how that's likely. Could you tell me more about this?

Multiregionalists argue that Neanderthals directly evolved into Cro-Magnon. The evidence is the Skhul fossils which show intermediate cranial features between the Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon.

It has long been observed that Neanderthal traits exist in the crania of the earliest Cro-Magnon, specifically Oase 1 (from Peştera cu Oase, Romania) which contains robust Neanderthal affinities such as the the lingual bridging of the mandibular foramen and other archaic features (Crevecoeur & Trinkaus, 2004; Rougier et al. 2007). The Skhul and Qafzeh fossil remains (unearthed in Israel) which have been dated up to 80,000 years also show a mixture of archaic Neanderthal and modern Cro-Magnon traits (McCown & Keith, 1939; Coon, 1962; Pearson, 1974, 1985). In the early 20th century, several prominent anthropologists such Gustav Schwalbe (1906), Roland Burrage Dixon (1923) and Ales Hrdlicka (1927) argued that Neanderthals directly evolved into modern man. Weidenreich in 1943 later modified this to fit the polycentric or multiregional view of evolution and argued only Cro-Magnon or proto-Caucasoids evolved from Neanderthals. Furthermore Weidenreich also attempted to demonstrate the Neanderthal intermediate position between Homo Erectus and Homo Sapiens (modern man). Thus the polycentric or multiregional theory of evolution argues the following for Caucasoid origins -

H. Erectus - Archaic Homo (Heidelberg Man, Neanderthal) - Cro-Magnon (Proto-Caucasoids) - Modern Caucasoids

I created a multiregionalist evolution group. I don't believe in the Out of Africa nonsense.

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Um... you WERE joking there? Hard to tell with you. :ohwell:

There have been small colonies here in ancient times by Sumerians, Sea-Peoples, Trojans, Lapps, Jews, Phoenicians, Gypsies, Sarmatians, Wends, and many others. So it wouldn't surprise me that Huns also entered. The fact is though all these groups were very small and contributed nothing, or very miniscule to the indigenous genepool. According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, the Huns just entered in one ship. There were only a few hundred of them, and they were killed in a battle near the Humber. Their king supposedly drowned.

Argyll
02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
There have been small colonies here in ancient times by Sumerians, Sea-Peoples, Trojans, Lapps, Jews, Phoenicians, Gypsies, Sarmatians, Wends, and many others. So it wouldn't surprise me that Huns also entered. The fact is though all these groups were very small and contributed nothing, or very miniscule to the indigenous genepool. According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, the Huns just entered in one ship. There were only a few hundred of them, and they were killed in a battle near the Humber. Their king supposedly drowned.

I hope no one's taking this seriously.

Peasant
02-13-2012, 05:33 PM

Yes, Canal Street in Manchester.

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I hope no one's taking this seriously.

why don't you answer the question i put on your page?

Argyll
02-13-2012, 08:40 PM

why don't you answer the question i put on your page?

Why should I? I don't think it's any of your business, to be honest. If you really want to know, maybe you might want to stalk some of my old posts.

Argyll
02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Yes, Canal Street in Manchester.

:lol: You know what kind ;)

02-13-2012, 09:18 PM
I believe in faeries, I just don't think we should let them get married

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Why should I? I don't think it's any of your business, to be honest. If you really want to know, maybe you might want to stalk some of my old posts.

Because i think people have the right to know what sort of mental state you are in to have made this bizarre thread where you claim you see and communicate with fairies, but also have sexual intercourse with them.

And yes i checked your old posts, you are a homosexual.

What on earth do your parents think? So you are a homosexual who thinks he has sex with (male?) fairies? It's just disgusting and very absurd, i'm surprised the mods allow such a crazy homosexual here. You are just making Europeans look depraved and stupid.

Baron Samedi
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Because i think people have the right to know what sort of mental state you are in to have made this bizarre thread where you claim you see and communicate with fairies, but also have sexual intercourse with them.

And yes i checked your old posts, you are a homosexual.

What on earth do your parents think? So you are a homosexual who thinks he has sex with (male?) fairies? It's just disgusting and very absurd, i'm surprised the mods allow such a crazy homosexual here. You are just making Europeans look depraved and stupid.

Please shut the fuck up.

That's not what he meant and you know it.

Quit derailing the thread with your horseshit.

Lumi
02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Pyramidologist has an obsession with the Picts, it would appear.
And spouting crap...

I feel somewhat dissapointed in the fact that more people don't believe in the Fey than those that do.
All myths and legends are created from a sliver of truth.

I believe strongly in the Fey. Have done ever since I was a young girl, even as I grew up when I realised that the things I could see as a child were still there, as were the things I could hear. As crazy as that sounds to the people who don't believe, they were very real to me.

Now, much later on in life, I realised that I have the ability, when doing Astral Projection, to see these things clearer.
I can also feel things, presences that other people can't feel.

As I said, I know it sounds crazy. Gods do I know.
But if science can't prove or disprove these things, what makes you think they don't exist?

Argyll
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Pyramidologist has an obsession with the Picts, it would appear.
And spouting crap...

I feel somewhat dissapointed in the fact that more people don't believe in the Fey than those that do.
All myths and legends are created from a sliver of truth.

I believe strongly in the Fey. Have done ever since I was a young girl, even as I grew up when I realised that the things I could see as a child were still there, as were the things I could hear. As crazy as that sounds to the people who don't believe, they were very real to me.

Now, much later on in life, I realised that I have the ability, when doing Astral Projection, to see these things clearer.
I can also feel things, presences that other people can't feel.

As I said, I know it sounds crazy. Gods do I know.
But if science can't prove or disprove these things, what makes you think they don't exist?

Very nice. I've always wondered what Astral Projection was like, as I don't think I've ever experienced it before.

P.S., Just curious, I saw that you are Asatru. Do you worship any Celtic deities as well? :) If you want, you can PM me or leave me a visitor message.

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 10:31 PM

This is a logical fallacy called argument from ignorance. If you make a claim, the burden of proof lies with you.

So where is the evidence spirtual fairies exist?

There is none.

People who think fairies are spiritual, completely misunderstand the origin of myth and folklore. Fairies originated as a small statured (historical) people, the dwarf sized Picts, but which were exegerated overtime. Those interested should read MacRitchie's Fians, Fairies and Picts. Book online here -

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17926/17926-h/17926-h.htm

Or look back at my earlier posts where i show evidences.

Lumi
02-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, because I'm really going to listen to a twirp like you who resorts to insults when he doesn't get his way.

Osweo
02-13-2012, 10:53 PM
No. According to Geoffrey of Monmouth a small colony of them arrived during the reign of Locrinus. It's hard to fit this in terms of chronology though, but according to the research of MacRitchie, the Huns reached Britain. I'll do an essay on this in the future.

LoL

Fucking Trojans. :tsk:

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 11:04 PM
LoL

Fucking Trojans. :tsk:

I can give you lots of evidences for the Trojan colony reaching here, but you can read the basics here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutus_of_troy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_kings_of_Britain

Lumi
02-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I can give you lots of evidences for the Trojan colony reaching here, but you can read the basics here -

*snorts*
Wikipedia?
You do realise that Wikipedia can be changed and edited, right? So therefore, not a credible source.
Fail.

Electronic God-Man
02-13-2012, 11:07 PM

Dude, NOBODY takes that to be historical truth.

Same Wiki page you linked to about "Brutus of Troy":

However, he is not mentioned in any classical text and is not considered to be historical.

Pyramidologist
02-13-2012, 11:10 PM
*snorts*
Wikipedia?
You do realise that Wikipedia can be changed and edited, right? So therefore, not a credible source.
Fail.

I wrote 90% of this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_legendary_kings_of_Britain&action=history

My sources are from ancient texts, and old literature.

Pallantides
02-13-2012, 11:10 PM
There have been small colonies here in ancient times by Sumerians, Sea-Peoples, Trojans, Lapps, Jews, Phoenicians, Gypsies, Sarmatians, Wends, and many others.

Be careful or the Saami might claim fishing and hunting rights in and around Loch Ness.

Osweo
02-13-2012, 11:12 PM

Do you realise how you are utterly discrediting yourself as a complete brainless fuckwit?

I hope you're just Wulfhere in disguise, having a laugh at our expense.

Lumi
02-13-2012, 11:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_legendary_kings_of_Britain&action=history

Oh, so that immediately makes it credible?
Again. Fail.
Provide some real sources.

Osweo
02-13-2012, 11:15 PM
God, if Pyro IS real, it's like the last two centuries were utterly in vain, and we're back in the bad old days of a world created in 4,114 BC! It's probably FLAT, too! :bowlol:

Electronic God-Man
02-13-2012, 11:18 PM

Dear God, you are the kind of person that edits Wikipedia? :eek:

Oh wait, here's something of interest from Wikipedia on "Anglo Pyramidologist":

CheckUser confirms that the operator of this account has abusively used one or more accounts.

This user has been blocked indefinitely from editing Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anglo_Pyramidologist

Here's his "White Aethiopians" page! LOL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Aethiopians

Electronic God-Man
02-13-2012, 11:20 PM
^ Sadly, Pyro must be for real.

Electronic God-Man
02-13-2012, 11:22 PM
From his article:

The next assumption, according to Smith, is that there was "some kind of awful ancient race war" in which white tribes like the Leukaethiopes "expelled or exterminated" the black tribes, but, writes Smith, there is no evidence for this.

He must be some sort of racial historian.

Treffie
02-13-2012, 11:29 PM
This user has been blocked indefinitely from editing Wikipedia.

You did some serious pwning there! :p

Argyll
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anglo_Pyramidologist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anglo_Pyramidologist)

I thought he was a Pict :confused:

Pyramidologist
02-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Do you realise how you are utterly discrediting yourself as a complete brainless fuckwit?

I'm an academic, and spend my entire life researching. I had over 50,000 edits on Wikipedia contributing information. I don't see how that is ''brainless'? Who exactly are you again? In one thread you claim you lay kitchen floors for a living... You're really not at my level to comprehend the history of these isles. Back to your peasant job...

Its funny that you mock the myths of Trojan ancestry, when prominant scholars such as Flinders Petrie considered them to have a factual basis.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Neglected_British_History

By W. M. FLINDERS PETRIE, F.R.S.

FELLOW OF THE ACADEMY

Read November 7, 1917

I guess Petrie was a ''fuckwit'' as well?:coffee:

I don't really need to waste more of my time with you retards.

Pyramidologist
02-14-2012, 12:33 AM
If you are interested in the origin of fairies, check my page on David MacRitchie -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_MacRitchie

Fairy Euhemerism, as developed by MacRitchie attempts to rationally explain the origin of fairies in British folklore and regards fairies as being a folk-memory of a "small-statured pre-Celtic race" or what Tylor theorised as possible folk memories of the aborigines of Britain.[11][12] MacRitchie's theory subsequently became known in the late 19th century by folklorists as the "Ethnological or Pygmy Theory".[13] The euhemeristic theory of fairies became considerably popular through MacRitchie's key works The Testimony of Tradition (1890) and Fians, Fairies and Picts (1893).[14][15] Different theories however in the late 19th century and early 20th century surfaced concerning the racial origin of the proposed dwarf aborigines of Britain and these theories ranged from proposing that they were real African Pygmies, Eskimos or a short statured Mediterranean race.[16][17][18] MacRitchie himself argued in his Testimony of Tradition, under a chapter subheading entitled "A Hairy Race" (p. 167) that they were somewhat connected to the Lapps or Eskimos, but were a distinct race because of their very long beards, concluding: "one seems to see the type of a race that was even more like the Ainu than the Lapp, or the Eskimo, although closely connected in various ways with all of these" (p. 173). In MacRitchie's view the indigenous population of Britain were thus a "quasi-European" Ainu race, with minor Mongoloid traits who he considered ancestral to the Picts, a view earlier proposed by Walter Scott.[19][20][21] The identification of fairies with Picts, MacRitichie based primarily on the earlier accounts by Adam of Bremen and the Historia Norwegić which describe the Picts of Orkney as "only a little exceeding pygmies in stature".[22] MacRitchie also discovered through the The Orcadian Sketch-Book by Walter Traill Dennison (1880) that legends across Scotland describe the homes (usually underground dwellings) of the fairies as "Pict's Houses" and so he believed the Picts were literally the basis of fairies in British folklore.[23][24] In Fians, Fairies and Picts (1893), The Northern Trolls (1898) and The Aborigines of Shetland and Orkney (1924) MacRitchie attempted to further identify the fairies of British folklore with the Finfolk of Orkney mythology, the Trows of Shetland myth, the Fianna of Old Irish Literature and the Trolls as well as the Svartálfar and Svartálfaheimr (elves or dwarfs) of Norse mythology. A 12th century Irish manuscript is found referenced in Fians, Fairies and Picts which equates the Fianna to fairies, but this is one of the few literary sources MacRitchie used as evidence, instead he turned to philology and comparative mythology.

Loddfafner
02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Real academics don't have time to edit wikipedia so prolifically.

Pyramidologist
02-14-2012, 12:42 AM
I thought he was a Pict :confused:

The name is taken from Pyramidology, of the BI vein. Here's my entries on Pyramidology BI -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramidology#British_Israelism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Davidson_(engineer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Aldersmith

Not a BI myself. My grandfather was, and i inherited his book collection and have toyed around the the theory. I would say i am the most prominant book collector in the world on this topic.

Google: British Israelism, Irish Orientalism, Phoenicianism & Related Literature for my collection.

Pyramidologist
02-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Hey look if you want to debate the origin or racial makeup of the British i'll create another thread. Btw, though i'm undefeated on this topic.:D

In this thread we are waiting for scientific evidence by the people who have claimed spiritual fairies exist.

Loddfafner
02-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Pyramidologist
02-14-2012, 01:10 AM
God, if Pyro IS real, it's like the last two centuries were utterly in vain, and we're back in the bad old days of a world created in 4,114 BC! It's probably FLAT, too! :bowlol:

Don't you have some work to be getting on with?

http://www.tiledoctor.co.uk/images/local/TerracottaKitchenFloor.jpg

http://kitchen-flooring.carpetfloor.co.uk/images/kitchen-floor-options-2.jpg

Argyll
02-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Don't you have some work to be getting on with?

http://www.tiledoctor.co.uk/images/local/TerracottaKitchenFloor.jpg

http://kitchen-flooring.carpetfloor.co.uk/images/kitchen-floor-options-2.jpg

I bet he could do it 100x better than you could.

It's amazing as to what has happened to a simple pollasking if someone believed in the fey.

Pyramidologist
02-14-2012, 01:27 AM
I bet he could do it 100x better than you could.

It's amazing as to what has happened to a simple pollasking if someone believed in the fey.

You started insulting people when they came here and offered a different theory on the origins of fairies. You should have made the thread solely for spiritualists. Its quite obvious you don't like people with differing viewpoints or who don't believe in spiritualism.

You also derailed your own thread when you started the absurd stuff about having sex with fairies.

Furthermore zero evidence in this thread has been presented for the existance of spirtual fey or fairies themselves.

The reason you are so hostile to my theory, is because you know its true. There are no spiritual entities and everyone knows this deep down, there's just a lot of denialism. You need to get into the real world.

Argyll
02-14-2012, 01:32 AM
You started insulting people when they came here and offered a different theory on the origins of fairies. You should have made the thread solely for spiritualists. Its quite obvious you don't like people with differing viewpoints or who don't believe in spiritualism.

You also derailed your own thread when you started the absurd stuff about having sex with fairies.

Furthermore zero evidence in this thread has been presented for the existance of spirtual fey or fairies themselves.

The reason you are so hostile to my theory, is because you know its true. There are no spiritual entities and everyone knows this deep down, there's just a lot of denialism. You need to get into the real world.

Wrong on all accounts. Stop posting in this thread.

Loddfafner
02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
The reason you are so hostile to my theory, is because you know its true.

Ah yes, Freud's infamous defense.

Osweo
02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Not a BI myself. My grandfather was, and i inherited his book collection and have toyed around the the theory. I would say i am the most prominant book collector in the world on this topic.
Ah! It all makes sense now! Hoho!!!! :clap:

You know, for one who purports to be such an academic and bibliophile, spending his life (lol from a 21 year old) reading, you'd think you'd learn to spell prominEnt. You spelt it like that in the other thread too! :p

Anyroad, your Grandad, I'm afraid, wasted effort on a folly. BI stuff set out from a fundamentally wrong starting point.

And now you come along, reading all these big fat old books on the shelf, and are loathe to think that they're in fact full of nonsense. Fiendishly intricate, and even occasionally brilliant, but still nonsense. :shrug:

Like I've been saying all along, there's a horrifying picture of efforts without intelligence here. It's pretty depressing, and I actually worry if we're going to see a lot more of this in the future, as every enthusiast has all of the internet at his disposal to read and promote all the nonsense that's ever been written. We'll be dragged down the levels of the worst Eastern European Chauvinist pseudohistory at this rate. Ekh, the new dark age! :pout:

Oh yeah, and I occasionally renovate a kitchen or tile a bathroom. Tolstoy used to amuse himself by making his own boots and helping out during mowing time alongside the serfs. :p I would hope that my literacy and argument stand for themselves. Peasant I am, however, of the finest millworking, coal-mining and bricklaying stock. Having that thrown at me as though it were an insult is quite risible. :tongue

Pyramidologist
02-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Stop posting in this thread.

will do.:thumb001:

Osweo writes:

Anyroad, your Grandad, I'm afraid, wasted effort on a folly. BI stuff set out from a fundamentally wrong starting point.

BI debate thread:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=713582

:wavey001:

if anyone wants to debate me on such topics go here.

Electronic God-Man
02-14-2012, 03:20 AM
LOL. You're not even old enough to have completed as much education as Osweo has.

Mercury
02-14-2012, 04:54 AM
KzeGkx_5Uuk

GVxW08wvWLA

The other 4 parts are on Youtube in the related videos bar if you want to watch them. If anyone could help me out, I remember seeing a documentary on fairies (or elves) based in Iceland on HBO a few years ago. Does anyone know the name of it? I would love to see it again.

Peasant
02-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Now we need somebody with the same niche interests as Pyrayid to fix wikipedia. :(

Peasant I am, however, of the finest millworking, coal-mining and bricklaying stock. Having that thrown at me as though it were an insult is quite risible. :tongue

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6388/26213.jpg

Heart of Oak
02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
A working class background is cool, same as, and in noway am I ashamed, absurd to think in anyother way, surly...
People who think there better than the rest of us are usually Mad, in some way or another.
Usually Police or the like...

Aemma
02-15-2012, 01:54 AM

I would say that certainly Ellis Davidson's scholarship supports this notion.

While I do agree with the notion that a fair portion of Norse mythology is based on racial conflict, I'm not certain I would go as far to say that the primordial creations in Norse myth are between Lapps and Norse however.

Pallantides
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
There is not much archological evidence supporting any serious clash between Saami and Norse, actually it seem just 1000 years ago the Saami and Norse had rather peaceful co-existence.

Heart of Oak
02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Faroese are cool...

Thunor
02-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Huns, Mongols, Jews, Lapps and Trojans lived in the British Isles?

Pyramidologist, get a life. A "serious academic" actually believing that and spending all his time on wikipedia....it's just sad.

Absinthe
02-22-2012, 07:01 AM
I do, and, Argyll....you're one of them :nicetongue

Pallantides
02-22-2012, 11:59 AM
DkGZGPmOcFk

Heart of Oak
05-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Of coarse they exist an I shall see some very soon.....

Mistic
05-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes of course they do exist. :)

Bobcat Fraser
07-07-2012, 01:56 AM
I don't. They might be based on smaller branches of humanity in ancient times, or they might be confused with natural phenomena, like ball lightning. That's why I picked "not sure". The fantasy might be based on reality.

Heart of Oak
07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Of coarse they, an so much more exist.
They are timid an you have to be gental n patience.
They will come to you if your heart is pure an has no ill intent...

Germanicus
07-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Of coarse they, an so much more exist.
They are timid an you have to be gental n patience.
They will come to you if your heart is pure an has no ill intent...

Have you been over medicating the vodka again? ;)