PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Women's Crafts

PetiteParisienne
02-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Traditional women's crafts such as sewing, knitting, cooking/baking, and gardening are definitely becoming lost to most of the world. I come from a long line of seamstresses, so my sister and I were taught these things growing up. It always makes me a bit sad when my female friends aren't comfortable in the kitchen, or haven't ever touched a crochet hook or knitting needles.

Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but does anyone else feel similarly?

larali
02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's really hard (for me personally) to do many "grannie" crafts with my kids running around demanding this or that all day. I do want to get into some crafts this year, though.

I do needlepoint, and I can sew with a machine. I used to know how to knit and crochet, but it's been years, so I'll have to brush up on it if I decide to start that again. As far as (real) cooking goes (I mean, not just throwing some pork chops in the oven but actually following a complex recipe), it's something I'd like to do more often... again, hard to do when you're busy, crunched for time and money, and (cough) distracted my the internet. :D

Speaking of grannie crafts though- my own grannie used to knit/crochet the most beautiful baby blankets and outfits. I aspire to learn do that some day!!

PetiteParisienne
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's really hard (for me personally) to do many "grannie" crafts with my kids running around demanding this or that all day. I do want to get into some crafts this year, though.

I do needlepoint, and I can sew with a machine. I used to know how to knit and crochet, but it's been years, so I'll have to brush up on it if I decide to start that again. As far as (real) cooking goes (I mean, not just throwing some pork chops in the oven but actually following a complex recipe), it's something I'd like to do more often... again, hard to do when you're busy, crunched for time and money, and (cough) distracted my the internet. :D

Speaking of grannie crafts though- my own grannie used to knit/crochet the most beautiful baby blankets and outfits. I aspire to learn do that some day!!

It is so tricky with kids! I only have one, and he's still a baby, but I know how you feel.
Needlepoint and embroidery are two crafts that I'd really like to learn. Making a tapestry is an item on my bucket list.

Your grandmother's work sounds like it was beautiful! I just bought a book of crochet patterns using the Bavarian stitch. It's a stitch that I'm unfamiliar with, so I'm excited to learn it!

Grumpy Cat
02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
I am really not that good at knitting. My grandmother taught me but I never really could get something to look good. As far as artistic talents I draw and paint. Knitting or crocheting I'm just not good at.

Sewing lost? I thought that was an essential life skill, same with cooking.

I am a great cook, and love to cook. I'm still not as good as my mother, though. She is the best cook.

PetiteParisienne
02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
I am really not that good at knitting. My grandmother taught me but I never really could get something to look good. As far as artistic talents I draw and paint. Knitting or crocheting I'm just not good at.

Sewing lost? I thought that was an essential life skill, same with cooking.

I am a great cook, and love to cook. I'm still not as good as my mother, though. She is the best cook.

I'm not so great with knitting needles, either. I think that knitting and crocheting are two crafts that either really suit people, or not.

I hardly know any other women who can sew! But I definitely agree that it's essential and that all women should be given the opportunity to learn.

What are your favourite things to cook? :)

Grumpy Cat
02-15-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm not so great with knitting needles, either. I think that knitting and crocheting are two crafts that either really suit people, or not.

Yes, you need to have the talent for it. I don't.

I hardly know any other women who can sew! But I definitely agree that it's essential and that all women should be given the opportunity to learn.

Really? I know women and single men who can sew (men should learn basic sewing too, just as women should learn basic car stuff). What do they do if they lose a button?

What are your favourite things to cook? :)

I eat a lot of chicken, fish, and seafood. I make a lot of soups, stews, stir fries, rice dishes, etc. I also like to make meat pies and things like that.

I can make sweets too but I don't make them often, as I seldom eat dessert other than maybe a piece of fruit or something.

Lumi
02-15-2012, 06:25 PM
As someone who is a part of the Steampunk culture, sewing is kind of my thing.
Modifying clothes, sewing things onto fabric and creating jewelry. All of it is DIY.
The one thing I can't do (and totally suck at) is knitting and cooking.
I do cross stitch, though. I own at cross stitch.

Hurrem sultana
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Women from my country are still traditional,so i am familiar with kitchen :) sewing not so much,mother learned me but i never tried since then :D

PetiteParisienne
02-15-2012, 07:40 PM
As someone who is a part of the Steampunk culture, sewing is kind of my thing.
Modifying clothes, sewing things onto fabric and creating jewelry. All of it is DIY.
The one thing I can't do (and totally suck at) is knitting and cooking.
I do cross stitch, though. I own at cross stitch.

Fantastic. I'm a Goth, so I'm right there with you on the DIY.

PetiteParisienne
02-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Women from my country are still traditional,so i am familiar with kitchen :) sewing not so much,mother learned me but i never tried since then :D

That's lovely. You're very lucky. :)

mymy
02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
I know how to cook, although not really traditional food. I like decorating house, and often do it, but i know nothing of other things you mentioned.

I learned cooking by my own cause my parents never give me to do anything in house.

PetiteParisienne
02-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I know how to cook, although not really traditional food. I like decorating house, and often do it, but i know nothing of other things you mentioned.

I learned cooking by my own cause my parents never give me to do anything in house.

Decorating is so much fun. :)

Hurrem sultana
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM

my mom thought it was her "obligation" to teach me how to make some of the traditional dishes,,i guess pita(burek) is the main thing a bosnian woman should be able to cook,,and baklava:D

mymy
02-16-2012, 01:44 PM
my mom thought it was her "obligation" to teach me how to make some of the traditional dishes,,i guess pita(burek) is the main thing a bosnian woman should be able to cook,,and baklava:D

Yes, here those things are absolute basic, but my mom didn't teach me anything. :D
When i was learning to cook alone, i wanted to try more unusual things. But i like baklava, so i will have to learn it. :D

PetiteParisienne
02-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Baklava is the best.

Marmie Dearest
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I am very much interested in cooking and baking, it's one of my favorite past times, and when I was growing up I did a great deal of cross-stitching as a hobby, and a little bit of crochet. However, I am not adept at making clothing.

One of my sisters is always making pillows out of different materials.

mymy
02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Gardening can be interesting too... :)

Marmie Dearest
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Gardening can be interesting too... :)

I'd like to spend more time gardening.

rhiannon
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Crocheting or knitting? Uh-uh
Home decorating and that sort of creative talent? check
Cooking? check
Sewing for repair purposes? check....as long as it isn't a machine. Never learned how to use one of those

PetiteParisienne
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
I've been crocheting slippers the past couple of days. The pattern I'm using is a Romanian one that my grandmother taught me. I'll post pics when they're done. :)

Kazimiera
03-26-2012, 09:57 PM
I've been crocheting slippers the past couple of days. The pattern I'm using is a Romanian one that my grandmother taught me. I'll post pics when they're done. :)

Are they done yet? I'd love to see!

PetiteParisienne
03-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Are they done yet? I'd love to see!

Nearly! One is finished, and the second just needs to be stitched together. :)

Kazimiera
03-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Nearly! One is finished, and the second just needs to be stitched together. :)

Please post a picture when you are done! My mom is a bedsock enthusiast! I don't even know how many of them I have already but come winter I'll find another pair or two on my bed!

I'm an embroidery enthusiast and am currently working on a huge piece (81000 stitches) for over a year already and am nearly done. It's an art noveau painting by Alphonse Mucha called Joan of Arc.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q526/katzentatzen79/amm-44-p.gif

PetiteParisienne
03-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Amazing! I LOVE Art Nouveau.

Please post a picture when you are done! My mom is a bedsock enthusiast! I don't even know how many of them I have already but come winter I'll find another pair or two on my bed!

I'm an embroidery enthusiast and am currently working on a huge piece (81000 stitches) for over a year already and am nearly done. It's an art noveau painting by Alphonse Mucha called Joan of Arc.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q526/katzentatzen79/amm-44-p.gif

PetiteParisienne
07-02-2012, 08:10 PM
I ran out of yarn for those slippers, and the company from which I order discontinued it! So I've moved on to other projects. Here's a little bag that I finished today. The maple leaf on it is a button.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/stonedeurydice/Summer%202012/P7020559.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/stonedeurydice/Summer%202012/P7020560.jpg

PetiteParisienne
07-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Here are some shots of a lace collar that I made as a commission.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/stonedeurydice/Hair/Photoon31-07-2012at15052.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/stonedeurydice/Hair/Photoon31-07-2012at15053.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/stonedeurydice/Hair/Photoon31-07-2012at1505.jpg

The button looks like a chocolate-dipped strawberry. :)

Dacul
07-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice crocheting.
Hope I used the right term in english.

PetiteParisienne
07-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Nice crocheting.
Hope I used the right term in english.

Yes, that's correct. :) Thank you!

Frigga
08-06-2012, 03:19 AM
It's lovely! :) Are you going to block it? I have never blocked any of my pieces, I've always been too lazy.

Personally though, I've never seen the why of lace collars like that. They're beautiful, but I guess that it's just not something that I would wear myself. :o

Great job PetiteParisienne. :thumb001:

Barreldriver
08-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Traditional women's crafts such as sewing, knitting, cooking/baking, and gardening are definitely becoming lost to most of the world. I come from a long line of seamstresses, so my sister and I were taught these things growing up. It always makes me a bit sad when my female friends aren't comfortable in the kitchen, or haven't ever touched a crochet hook or knitting needles.

Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but does anyone else feel similarly?

Traditional woman's crafts? I'll have ye know that my male forefathers who lived a frontier life in Appalachia afore we obtained our larger land holdings and served the Confederate Army, these men who knew how to cook, sew, and plant seeds, were no women. Tasks as these ought to not be so restricted to one gender or another.

Hell I even cook because I want to eat 'n I would cook for my female companion as I'd like to eat with her. Simple as that, I still have balls and a penis 'n I wouldn't demand that she cook as some duty to me, of course I'd eat if it was voluntarily made but ought to not insinuate that it is her obligation to do as such. Ain't got no want fer a Jemima, I ain't from South Carolina.

Aurora
08-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Here's a "rag rug" I crocheted. It is 6 ft. by 6 ft. I made it from sheets and it took me a week during Christmas break :)

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8564/16771410150367809965321.jpg

The beginning of the rug

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/167546_10150353427995321_5017890_n.jpg

Unfinished scarf

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8329/19696910150441312050321.jpg

Bag

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/326/0/c/the_extol_bag_by_ipilgrimage-d4h0wm5.jpg

PetiteParisienne
08-06-2012, 08:20 PM
It's lovely! :) Are you going to block it? I have never blocked any of my pieces, I've always been too lazy.

Personally though, I've never seen the why of lace collars like that. They're beautiful, but I guess that it's just not something that I would wear myself. :o

Great job PetiteParisienne. :thumb001:

I may block it, but I'm not sure yet. Lace collars have no practical use! They're just pretty. :)

PetiteParisienne
08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Traditional woman's crafts? I'll have ye know that my male forefathers who lived a frontier life in Appalachia afore we obtained our larger land holdings and served the Confederate Army, these men who knew how to cook, sew, and plant seeds, were no women. Tasks as these ought to not be so restricted to one gender or another.

Hell I even cook because I want to eat 'n I would cook for my female companion as I'd like to eat with her. Simple as that, I still have balls and a penis 'n I wouldn't demand that she cook as some duty to me, of course I'd eat if it was voluntarily made but ought to not insinuate that it is her obligation to do as such. Ain't got no want fer a Jemima, I ain't from South Carolina.

Oh dear. I didn't mean to give off the impression that men shouldn't do these things. Practical skills like cooking, gardening, and sewing are important for everyone.