PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding - for women

Loki
02-11-2012, 08:55 AM
I would like to ask - if you are/will be a mother, would you breastfeed your child? I believe that it is absolutely essential for a young child to be breastfed by its mother. But I would like to hear your opinions on this. :)

Beorn
02-11-2012, 09:01 AM
All my kids have been breastfed for the first 3 days. The Colostrum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colostrum) is vital for growth, health and bonding between mother and child.

I may even try some myself this time. :D

Absinthe
02-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Are you kidding? :eek: Of course! As much as I possibly could (not until s/he is 5 years old, of course)... :p

On a side note my own mom didn't breast feed them for more than two weeks, because she had inverted nipples or something. I have lots of troubles because of that. Kind of embarrassing to mention.... but anyway:

I had been sucking on my fingers in my sleep until I was way in my teens. :D
When I am stressed, I find myself unconsciously smelling my arm every so often (seeking for the motherly smell as an infant has stuck to me, I guess. This is called regression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_(psychology))). :D
I can't sleep unless I hug a pillow, teddy bear or human body :P

Not to mention the effects it's had on my bones and immune system. I get sick more often.

mymy
02-11-2012, 09:07 AM
I watched some researches about this subject and studies showed that it is the best possible solution for a baby... So, i'm for it if some problems doesn't happen(lack of milk for example).
However, i was on adapted milk from first day of my life and that was only milk i tried like a baby.

orangepulp
02-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Yes, I definitely would.

2 years of breast feeding is ideal.
Children who were breast fed had higher IQ than average.

mymy
02-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Not to mention the effects it's had on my bones and immune system. I get sick more often.

This is very true. I absolutely know what you are talking about. I had to take fish oil for bones in my teens even.

There is one weird thing, i don't like taste of pure milk today, i always have to add something in it while drinking.

orangepulp
02-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Males can breastfeed too! would you guys breastfeed lol?

http://www.onlineweblibrary.com/news/menbreast1.jpg

Male breasts have milk ducts, and some mammary tissue. They also have oxytocin and prolactin, the hormones responsible for milk production. There have been reports of men who were able to produce milk through extensive breast and nipple stimulation, but no one knows whether the milk was of the same composition or quality as the kind women produce.

Using a pump, or a feeding tube (a small silicone tube attached to a plastic bottle filled with formula) at his breast, he might be able to get a baby to latch on and suckle, but how long it would take to produce even drops of milk is anyone's guess.

Loki
02-11-2012, 09:20 AM

No thank you. That's the mother's role in my old-fashioned mind. :)

Absinthe
02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
No thank you. That's the mother's role in my old-fashioned mind. :)
Sexist! :D :nicetongue

Queen B
02-11-2012, 09:33 AM
If I can, yes :) I think its the best for the kid.

I didn't ( i think my little brother, too), coz had a problem with the milk :( (Not nutricious or something?)

Yes, my immune system is not strong at all :(

Eldritch
02-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Well, of course mothers should breastfeed their babies if at all possible. The other options are a great alternative to have, if health or other considerations prevent it, but in this as in everything else I'm a firm believer that Mother Nature knows best.

Are you kidding? :eek: Of course! As much as I possibly could (not until s/he is 5 years old, of course)... :p

Tell it to this person (http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2011/11/help_my_sister_in_law_breast_feeds_her_5_year_old_ in_public.html). :p

Nairi
02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
It is beneficial for both baby and mother. Women who brestfed their baby are less inclined to have a breast cancer.

rhiannon
02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
I would like to ask - if you are/will be a mother, would you breastfeed your child? I believe that it is absolutely essential for a young child to be breastfed by its mother. But I would like to hear your opinions on this. :)

Well....breastfeeding is certainly a personal decision that only the family should have any say over.....this much is for sure:)

My experiences as a mother who gave birth to two children 21 years apart essentially turned out the same as far as BFing goes.

Both of my kids were BF for the first month of infancy. However, BFing was hard for me because I just don't have those Evenflo nipples that stick way out...and nipple shields were not very useful, either. Moreover, for me, BFing hurt like HELL....and both of my children were big babies (9lbs/4.1kg and 10.5lbs/4.8kg respectively), so they were ALWAYS hungry and ate a LOT!

Basically, it boiled down to my giving up on the breastfeeding for all of the above reasons because it was just too hard. However, because they did get that first month's supply of mama milk....they did get my immunities, and neither child was sick much as an infant or toddler as a result:)

cilicia
02-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes if I have children I will, it's definitely the best option. There can be complications though, like stated by others above, like not producing enough milk and having to substitute with a bottle or just extreme pain from chapped nipples etc... :(

Nairi
02-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Yes if I have children I will, it's definitely the best option.

What? If?? Change it to WHEN :thumb001:

пустиняк
02-11-2012, 11:16 AM

jerney
02-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Both of my kids were BF for the first month of infancy. However, BFing was hard for me because I just don't have those Evenflo nipples that stick way out...and nipple shields were not very useful, either. Moreover, for me, BFing hurt like HELL....and both of my children were big babies (9lbs/4.1kg and 10.5lbs/4.8kg respectively), so they were ALWAYS hungry and ate a LOT!

I may be completely wrong about this, but I thought nipple size doesn't actually matter in breast feeding because the baby latches on/sucks from the areola, not the nipple itself?

Regarding breast feeding, I'd like to think I'd definitely do it (and I probably will), but if I'm being completely honest, I'm worried about what it will do to my chest. I know it sounds completely shallow, but I like what I've got and terrified of getting saggy/ugly boobs from breast feeding. On a related note, while I really want babies, I'm terrified about what pregnancy will do to my body. I know it sounds shallow, but I can't help it. Maybe when I actually have a baby I won't care so much about those things though :shrug:

Hurrem sultana
02-11-2012, 11:42 AM
of course i will,my mom breastfed me until i was almost 2 years old.My sister and brother too

rhiannon
02-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I may be completely wrong about this, but I thought nipple size doesn't actually matter in breast feeding because the baby latches on/sucks from the areola, not the nipple itself?

Regarding breast feeding, I'd like to think I'd definitely do it (and I probably will), but if I'm being completely honest, I'm worried about what it will do to my chest. I know it sounds completely shallow, but I like what I've got and terrified of getting saggy/ugly boobs from breast feeding. On a related note, while I really want babies, I'm terrified about what pregnancy will do to my body. I know it sounds shallow, but I can't help it. Maybe when I actually have a baby I won't care so much about those things though :shrug:

The nipple is sort of like an anchor that helps the baby's mouth stay in place during breastfeeding.....and if there isn't much of one there, or if they are flatter, as mine are, the babe is going to have a hard time latching on. Nipple shields are supposed to help with this, in part, but they were not very effective in my case.

This is a good diagram:
http://pregnancyforme.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/breastfeeding-attachment-diagram.jpg

Another issue I faced is that my areolas are larger....this makes it difficult to get much of the areola itself inside the baby's mouth.

Plus, You must also realize that boobs filled with milk are VERY firm to the touch and this makes the areola/nipple area not very compressible. Plus, my boobs were BIG enough to add to the whole issue....DDD!

These were the observations I made every time I nursed, anyway:)

Moonbird
02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
I intend to breastfeed my children if not some physical/health reasons should occur that would prevent it.

Moonbird
02-11-2012, 01:36 PM

http://www.onlineweblibrary.com/news/menbreast1.jpg

Lol...I find that creepy. :p

dralos
02-11-2012, 01:38 PM
i see all the females here are going to be great momz

Γέλως
02-11-2012, 01:43 PM
My tits are there to make me horny not to breastfeed little bastards.

пустиняк
02-11-2012, 01:46 PM
i see all the females here are going to be great momz

not only females Guapo too will be good mama :thumb001:

dralos
02-11-2012, 01:48 PM
not only females Guapo too will be good mama :thumb001:
he already is and rumour has it,that the father is a med vlah:D

Olika
02-11-2012, 01:59 PM
of course if there is milk a need to breastfeed. Mother's milk contains an ideal balance of nutrients. it is necessary to the health,growth of baby.

Leliana
02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Of course I'd do, breastfeeding is a must, a responsibility of every mother and exceedingly healthy for the baby. :) Mother's milk contains individually adjusted important substances who strengthen the immune system. I blame distorted ethics for the fact that many mothers don't suckle their babies anymore!

My mother breastfeeded me until I was 12 months old because her mom did the same to her. I don't know if that's too long or not but I plan to do the same. My only worry is that I can't give enough milk because my breasts are fairly small. I hope they grow when I become pregnant!? Any experiences on this?

mymy
02-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Of course I'd do, breastfeeding is a must, a responsibility of every mother and exceedingly healthy for the baby. :) Mother's milk contains individually adjusted important substances who strengthen the immune system. I blame distorted ethics for the fact that many mothers don't suckle their babies anymore!

My mother breastfeeded me until I was 12 months old because her mom did the same to her. I don't know if that's too long or not but I plan to do the same. My only worry is that I can't give enough milk because my breasts are fairly small. I hope they grow when I become pregnant!? Any experiences on this?

I heard it doesn't matter because it is about glads, and not about fat. The breasts grow in pregnancy because of milk in glands, and not really because of fat tissue(although it can, but because of weight you can get in that period). If your glands are developed and if they produce enough milk, it shouldn't be problem, no matter of size.
I have the same problems like you, btw.

rhiannon
02-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Breast size is of no consequence whatsoever. You have nothing to worry about:)

Lumi
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
I will, yes.
I was never breast-fed as a child (my Mum was an alcoholic and smoked whilst she was pregnant with me).

PetiteParisienne
02-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Yes. Absolutely. Breast is best. It is what babies are supposed to eat.

Aemma
02-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Well, of course mothers should breastfeed their babies if at all possible. The other options are a great alternative to have, if health or other considerations prevent it, but in this as in everything else I'm a firm believer that Mother Nature knows best.

Tell it to this person (http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2011/11/help_my_sister_in_law_breast_feeds_her_5_year_old_ in_public.html). :p

This!

I did breastfeed our son during his first 6 weeks of life. It was a nightmare I have to say since my milk never really properly came in. :( So during his first week of life, our son ended up losing weight instead of gaining and it was the scariest week of both Tolleson's and my life. He kept crying and we didn't know why; he kept losing weight and we didn't know why. The simple fact of the matter was he was hungry and my body wasn't producing enough of anything for him to thrive upon.

Luckily here in Canada, new moms can access great free breastfeeding clinics and it was at such a clinic that we were introduced to this amazing lactation consultant. I thank the heavens every day for such women out there. She saw us immediately, a Friday night at her at-home clinic and spent a couple of hours with us trying to figure things out. With her help, as well as with the help of modern day technology such as an electric breast pump and good healthy formula, our son was able to make great gains. Today he's eating us out of house and home. ;) (And we wouldn't want it any other way!)

But I have to tell you, we did have to give up the good fight with the breast pump and all of that after 6 weeks or so since my body was still not producing enough milk and his intake still had to be significantly topped up with formula. and let me tell you, it is no picnic having a contraption placed on both of your breasts for hours (yes hours!) at a time only to extract a couple of cc's of breast milk. Alas, one has to know when to say when.

So all the more power to those women who can easily breastfeed. It IS the better choice for your baby. Having said this however, I am ever so grateful that I live in the modern age. My baby wouldn't have been around to be the great kid that he is today had there not been a good alternative like baby formula. :)

Aemma
02-18-2012, 12:22 AM

Breast size has absolutely no impact on a woman's ability to lactate. Believe me if and when you do get pregnant, you'll see how much your body does change and your breasts will swell (health-willing) I guarantee it! Don't worry about such things Leliana. If you are a generally healthy woman, you'll not have any problems. :)

Aemma
02-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Yes, I definitely would.

2 years of breast feeding is ideal.
Children who were breast fed had higher IQ than average.

Got any studies by any chance? I've not come across this claim before.

Thanks! :)

Heart of Oak
02-18-2012, 12:58 AM
This I fear is codswollope how a child is fed has no direct bearing on the childs intellect.
I think you will find the stimulation in the first few weeks, has a lot more say, than what they are fed.
The health of a child is completely different, I think maybe some people have the two mixed up.
Fortunately all of my children had both, and were fine.

Sikeliot
02-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Yes. I have read that babies who are breastfed turn out smarter, and it's the natural way.. it's what is supposed to be done so who would I be not to do it?

Mortimer
02-18-2012, 03:55 AM
I agree, Breast is best. Only if the mother cant for some reason than i wouldnt insist but breastfeeding is the natural way.

Arrow Cross
02-18-2012, 05:32 AM
I am rather worried why the tag "- for women" has made it into the thread's title...

Heart of Oak
02-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Why men have kids too...