PDA

View Full Version : GOOD!, Old Film: "Urlaub Auf Ehrenwort"

+Suomut+
02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I recently came across this old German film set in the 2. Reich-era and in World War One but made and shown during the 3. Reich-era entitled: Urlaub Auf Ehrenwort, or translated into English 'Vacation On Word Of Honor'. It's a 'Kriegsdrama' (war drama), but there is quite a bit of levity and humor in it also. I recommend this for screenings by anyone sincerely interested in both the Second and Third Reich(s) eras/periods in German history. :thumb001: :)

Urlaub auf Ehrenwort 1/6
Urlaub auf Ehrenwort 2/6

+Suomut+
02-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Urlaub auf Ehrenwort 3/6
Urlaub auf Ehrenwort 4/6

+Suomut+
02-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Urlaub auf Ehrenwort 5/6
Urlaub auf Ehrenwort 6/6
Ever since I was a small boy I've been a fan of war movies...even the ones of this 'homefront' variety wherein not one shot is fired and not one bomb is dropped, etc. :) Hereafter are some things I LOVE about this movie: 1.) it's a period (1930s) German film set in a ANOTHER period of German history: W. W. 1 , 2.) it's a German movie wherein (seemingly) ALL!!! of the actors and actresses are GERMANS! (at least ethnically speaking), 3.) it's an entertaining and 'fun' flick, indeed :) , 4.) the intro.-theme is great, and it reminds me sentimentally of other 'period' films like American 'Cowboy and Western' genre films; 5.) it gives one a PEEK! into the period of German history BEFORE! Germany was bombed to hell, overrun, and occupied by foreign powers...so it shows a little what Germany was like back when it was "MORE GERMAN" ; and 6.) it's an OLD! film, and I pretty much LOVE! nearly all OLD movies...even if they 'suck'...at least for HISTORICAL purposes. :thumb001: :)

What I don't like about it, mainly, is that it is slightly unrealistic...and thus you can bet "Goebbels & Company" gave their glowing-'stamp-of-approval' on it...no soldiers are shown with missing arms and/or legs or blind, etc. or any of the other HORRIBLE things that were related to W. W. 1 for Germany and Germans during that era; and I doubt that, REALLY, there were too many Germans back then in Germany behaving this way LATE in that war when things were generally going VERY BADLY, 'DARK CLOUDS' (so to write) were generally the 'rule,' and there was very little to look forward to as far as the future looked back then. In spite of all of that and regardless: it is entertaining to see a FUN! movie like this...which was PRECISELY! its purpose back in 1937 Deutschland....ENJOY!, y'all. :thumb001: :)