PDA

View Full Version : Banned in Britain

Æmeric
05-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Named and shamed: the 16 barred from UK

Sixteen people banned from entering the UK were "named and shamed" by the Home Office today.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said she decided to make public the names of 16people banned since October so others could better understand what sort of behaviour Britain was not prepared to tolerate.

The list includes hate preachers, anti-gay protesters and a far- right US talk show host.

"I think it's important that people understand the sorts of values and sorts of standards that we have here, the fact that it's a privilege to come and the sort of things that mean you won't be welcome in this country," Ms Smith told GMTV.

"Coming to this country is a privilege. If you can't live by the rules that we live by, the standards and the values that we live by, we should exclude you from this country and, what's more, now we will make public those people that we have excluded.

"We are publishing the names of 16 of those that we have excluded since October. We are telling people who they are and why it is we don't want them in this country."

She said the number of people excluded from Britain had risen from an average of two a month to five a month since October.

The list of the 16 "least wanted" includes radio talk show host Michael Savage, real name Michael Weiner.

"This is someone who has fallen into the category of fomenting hatred, of such extreme views and expressing them in such a way that it is actually likely to cause inter-community tension or even violence if that person were allowed into the country," Ms Smith told BBC Breakfast.

Also named are American Baptist pastor Fred Waldron Phelps Snr and his daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper, who have picketed the funerals of Aids victims and claimed the deaths of US soldiers are a punishment for US tolerance of homosexuality.

"If people have so clearly overstepped the mark in terms of the way not just that they are talking but the sort of attitudes that they are expressing to the extent that we think that this is likely to cause or have the potential to cause violence or inter-community tension in this country, then actually I think the right thing is not to let them into the country in the first place. Not to open the stable door then try to close it later," Ms Smith said.

"It's a privilege to come to this country. There are certain behaviours that mean you forfeit that privilege."

Hamas MP Yunis Al-Astal, Jewish extremist Mike Guzovsky, former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard Stephen Donald Black and neo-Nazi Erich Gliebe are also on the list released today.

Artur Ryno and Pavel Skachevsky, the former leaders of a violent Russian skinhead gang which committed 20 racially motivated murders, are also banned from coming to Britain. Both are currently in prison.

Making up the rest of the 16 named by the Home Office today are preachers Wadgy Abd El Hamied Mohamed Ghoneim, Abdullah Qadri Al Ahdal, Safwat Hijazi and Amir Siddique, Muslim activist Abdul Ali Musa (previously Clarence Reams), murderer and Hezbollah terrorist Samir Al Quntar and Kashmiri terror group leader Nasr Javed.

Source (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/16-banned-from-britain-named-and-shamed-1679127.html)

I think the list is a joke. Only 16 since October. I wonder how many Africans & Muslims were admitted over the same period? It is a sovereign right for a nation to control it's borders & to deny entry to others. But if I was making up a list of who deny entry to for the US it would include whole nationalities/ethnicities. It would cover billions of people. If they have only denied entry to 16 since October, that means just about anyone can get into the UK.

Electronic God-Man
05-05-2009, 11:37 PM
"I think it's important that people understand the sorts of values and sorts of standards that we have here, the fact that it's a privilege to come and the sort of things that mean you won't be welcome in this country," Ms Smith told GMTV.

LOL. It sounds like she could be talking about fanatical Muslims, how multiculturalism has failed, and/or why immigration from the Third World needs to stop.

But no, just 16 racists.

anonymaus
05-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I'll repeat myself from the chatbox for posterity:

The UK has no love for nationalists, right-wingers or anyone who publicly disputes the supremacy of Islam.

I'll add that it also has little tolerance for freedoms which used to be common, and common sense itself.

Some of those people are rather repulsive but all our opponents can be bested in open and honest debate. We should encourage it.

Beorn
05-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Considering the people which our government have financially backed, aided, placed in power with strings, militarily supported, shook hands with by accident of bad lighting, etc..., I really am not at all surprised that the list consists of minor "racists" and troublemakers which have fallen foul of strong left/liberal distaste.

Óttar
05-06-2009, 02:33 AM
The UK should give A. Choudhury the boot along with that other radical Islamic black-guy. Better yet, disembowel them and impale their heads on London bridge. Not only are fundamentalist clerics allowed to stay in Britain, but they are supported by public assistance. :mad:

What happened? The British used to put a good old jack-boot in your ass, and steal your diamonds while they're at it. :p

Vulpix
05-06-2009, 08:31 AM
These buffoons in charge in the UK government can't seem to do anything right.

U.S. shock-jock to sue 'lunatic' Jacqui Smith for banning him from Britain (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1177428/U-S-shock-jock-sue-lunatic-Jacqui-Smith-banning-Britain.html)

An American 'shock jock' DJ has vowed to sue the Government after being included on a list of Britain's 'least wanted'.
Talk-show presenter Mike Savage branded Jacqui Smith a 'lunatic' after being named alongside hate preachers and a member of Hamas.
He is furious at being put on the list of 22 hardliners banned from entering the UK because the Home Office claims they have fostered extremism or hatred.
Miss Smith said the move was aimed at naming and shaming extremists and to demonstrate behaviour the Government will not tolerate.
But the publication appears to have backfired on the minister, whose job is already hanging by a thread due to a string of expense scandals.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/06/article-1177428-04D028C2000005DC-792_468x329.jpg Shock jock: Michael Savage is planning to sue the Government for defamation after being included on the list of people banned from the UK

Mr Savage said: 'For this lunatic Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary of England, to link me up with skinheads who are killing people in Russia, to put me in league with mass murderers who kill Jews on buses, is defamation.
'I thought this was a joke or a mistake. How could they put Michael Savage in the same league with mass murderers when I have never avowed violence? As a result of this, I am going to sue.'
He added: ‘I've been on the air 15 years. My views may be inflammatory, but they're not violent in any way.’

Mr Savage, real name Michael Weiner, who claims to have 10 million listeners, even argued that Miss Smith had put his life in danger.
‘She has painted a target on my back, linking me with people who are in prison for killing people,’ he said. ‘Does she not think people might hunt me down?’
The Home Secretary insisted this morning that including Mr Savage on the list was right because he fell into the category of people who can 'foment hatred'.
His extreme views and the way he expresses them 'is actually likely to cause inter-community tension or even violence' if he was allowed into the UK, she claimed.

The list had already been dismissed as a gimmick after officials had to admit yesterday that it was not the case that all the fanatics had intended to travel to Britain.
Their names were placed on a list of people - all of whom have taken part in 'unacceptable behaviour' - simply on the off-chance they may decide to visit.
At least two of those named - teenage skinheads Artur Ryno and Pavel Skachevsky - have no chance of boarding a plane to Britain since they are currently serving ten years in a Russian jail for leading a gang which committed 20 racially-motivated murders.
Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling said: 'What we need from the Government is not the gimmick of a name and shame list but a consistent strategy on who can and can't come into the country.'
Anti-extremist groups welcomed the Home Secretary's actions, which follow years of criticism that the Government had been too willing to let in fanatics - including Islamic preachers of hate.

SwordoftheVistula
05-06-2009, 09:36 AM
On a side note, the 'Stephen Donald Black' on the ban list is presumably the 'Don Black' who runs the StormFront website.

Savage has previously sued an American Islamic group 'CAIR' for 'defamation' and lost.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=97127

Talk radio host Michael Savage is considering legal action against Britain's top homeland security official after she released today a list grouping him with terrorists and neo-Nazi murderers banned from entry because the government believes their views might provoke violence.

In a telephone interview with WND, Savage said he is still waiting to hear back from attorneys, but he noted Britain has very strict anti-defamation laws.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said she decided to publicize the list of 16 people banned since October to show the type of behavior Britain will not tolerate, according to U.K. news reports.

Savage's immediate reaction upon hearing the news was typically wry.

"Darn! And I was just planning a trip to England for their superior dental work and cuisine," he recalled thinking.

"Then it sank in," he told WND, "and I said, 'She said this is the kind of behavior we won't tolerate? She's linking me with mass murderers who are in prison for killing Jewish children on buses? For my speech? The country where the Magna Carta was created?'"

Smith explained to Britain's GMTV that she believed it was "important that people understand the sorts of values and sorts of standards that we have here, the fact that it's a privilege to come and the sort of things that mean you won't be welcome in this country."

"Coming to this country is a privilege," she said. "If you can't live by the rules that we live by, the standards and the values that we live by, we should exclude you from this country and, what's more, now we will make public those people that we have excluded."

Savage said he wants top First Amendment attorneys to represent him "in a major international case."

"I want to sue the British home secretary for defamation," he said, "for linking me up with murderers because of my opinions, my writings, my speaking – none of which have advocated any violence, ever."

Savage said the last time he was in Britain was about 20 years ago, and he had no immediate plans to return.

In an interview with the BBC, Smith said Savage, the No. 3-rated radio host in the U.S., is "someone who has fallen into the category of fomenting hatred, of such extreme views and expressing them in such a way that it is actually likely to cause inter-community tension or even violence if that person were allowed into the country."

Savage said his message for Smith and the people of the U.K. is, "Shame on you. Shame that you've fallen to such a low level."

"It's interesting to me that here I am a talk show host, who does not advocate violence, who advocates patriotic traditional values – borders, language, culture – who is now on a list banned in England," Savage said. "What does that say about the government of England? It says more about them than it says about me."

The U.K. list also includes Hamas leader Yunis Al-Astal, former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard Stephen Donald Black, neo-Nazi Erich Gliebe and radical American pastor Fred Phelps, known for his virulent anti-gay protests at funerals. Phelps' daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper also is on the list.

Smith said the British government believes the people on the list have views or attitudes that could provoke violence.

"If people have so clearly overstepped the mark in terms of the way not just that they are talking but the sort of attitudes that they are expressing to the extent that we think that this is likely to cause or have the potential to cause violence or inter-community tension in this country, then actually I think the right thing is not to let them into the country in the first place. Not to open the stable door then try to close it later," she said.

"It's a privilege to come to this country. There are certain behaviors that mean you forfeit that privilege."

The others on the list are Jewish nationalist Mike Guzovsky; imprisoned Russian skinhead leaders Artur Ryno and Pavel Skachevsky; and Islamic leaders Wadgy Abd El Hamied Mohamed Ghoneim, Abdullah Qadri Al Ahdal, Safwat Hijazi , Amir Siddique, Abdul Ali Musa, Samir Al Quntar and Nasr Javed.

Said Savage, "How can a nation put me on a list and leave hate preachers in England who say that we're going to kill all of you? We're going to convert all of you to Islam. How is it possible that those hate preachers can't be deported from Britain, but I can be banned from Britain? People who advocate actual murder cannot be deported from Britain.

"How is it that liberalism has gotten so distorted and cowardly?"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=39618

San Francisco-based conservative talk show host Michael Savage -- whose sharp-tongued right-wing commentary has earned him headlines across the U.S. -- is making news again: He's been banned in Britain.

Savage told The Chronicle in an exclusive interview this morning that he was shocked to learn the news that he was included in the British government's first-ever list of nearly two dozen people from across the globe who are banned from entering the nation for allegedly fostering extremism or hatred.

"When I woke up and saw this this morning ... my first thought was, damn, there goes the summer trip where I planned to have my dental work done," the "Savage Nation" host joked. "My second thought was, darn ... there goes my visit to the restaurants of England for their great cuisine."

But, he added, the issue is no laughing matter -- and represents a serious threat to free speech.

"Today it's me. Tomorrow it's someone else," he said. "My first reaction is, this can't be happening ... that the land of the Magna Carta has now become the land of the mini-Carta."

The list of high-profile banned visitors was released by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, who published 16 of the 22 names of people banned from the country since October. They include Muslim extremists, jailed Russian gang members and an Israeli settler.

Smith cited "public interest" reasons for not disclosing the other six names, but said that the country wanted to establish what kind of standards it would set in allowing in foreign visitors.

"I think it's important that people understand the sorts of values and sorts of standards that we have here, the fact that it's a privilege to come and the sort of things that mean you won't be welcome in this country," Smith told Britain's GMTV.

Savage, who broadcasts from San Francisco on KNEW -- and reaches an estimated 8 to 10 million listeners on more than 350 stations nationwide, according to industry publications -- has made news for calling the Quran, the Muslim holy book, a "book of hate."

And he has earned the wrath of parents of autistic children, saying that many times it's "a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out."

His companions on the British list include Stephen "Don" Black, who founded a white supremacist Web site in Florida, and preacher Fred Phelps, who leads an anti-gay church in Topeka, Kan., and who has been to San Francisco numerous times to mount anti-gay protests.

Others on the list: Yunis Al-Astal, a Hamas lawmaker in Gaza, Egyptian cleric Safwat Hijazi, Israeli settler Mike Guzovsky, who has been accused by British authorities of being linked to military training camps.

Two leaders of a Russian gang, Artur Ryno and Pavel Skachevsky, were also barred; they served more than a decade in Russian prisons for racially based murders of 19 people, according to the Associated Press.

Savage told The Chronicle that being included in such a crowd is no laughing matter -- and he is now preparing legal action against Smith, he said.

"This lunatic ... is linking me up with Nazi skinheads who are killing people in Russia, she's putting me in a league with Hamas murderers who kill Jews on busses," he said. "I have never advocated violence ... I've been on the air 15 years. My views may be inflammatory, but they're not violent in any way."

He said he has been defamed and endangered by the British government action. "She has painted a target on my back, linking me with people who are in prison for killing people," he said. "Does she not think people might hunt me down?"

Savage said he has had no contact with the British government or with Smith's office and has no idea how he ended up on the British Home secretary's list.

And he said he is working with attorneys and supporters who have called from around the world in an effort to find out.

"Is it the government's investigation? Who did this? If she didn't draw it up, who did?" he said.

But he said that even liberals should be disturbed at the move by the British government taken this week because they should wonder "who's next?"

"All I've done is expressing strong political opinions that happen to be quite patriotic to a large generation of Americans. They're not really out of the mainstream with most of America. Yeah, they're out of the mainstream with San Francisco and Los Angeles," he said.

But now "who else will be banned -- all the people who listen to my show, 10 million people? Should they also not go to Britian?"

His opening remarks on his show tonight:
g_KRwpjsiXg

"Well, I don't know who this pork eater is, but I have a question for her. I hear she is the Home Secretary of the former England. When has this witch heard my show, since it's not syndicated in England? When has this witch listened to my program in England? And which show or shows is she referring to?"[continues]

SwordoftheVistula
07-19-2009, 08:28 AM
He's been unbanned now:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=104396

WASHINGTON – Radio talker Michael Savage told WND he was "stunned" by the quick decision by incoming United Kingdom Home Secretary Alan Johnson to scrap his predecessor's list of people banned from Britain – a list that included Savage along with Islamic hate preachers and terrorists.

Savage had sued outgoing Home Secretary Jacqui Smith for libel for listing him, along with 15 others, as "least wanted" visitors in the country. Meanwhile, Smith's successor, Alan Johnson, called the move a terrible blunder and told the London Daily Mail he would scrap the policy of maintaining such enemies lists.

"I am stunned by this sudden sign of sanity in the UK government," Savage told WND. "But I won't believe it until they send a letter to me confirming it."

Savage said he also demands an apology from Smith.

Johnson said Smith had no right to put Savage, the third highest rated radio talker in America, on the same list as a former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard, a skinhead gang leader and a Hezbollah militant.

Last week, Jacqui Smith admitted she was not up to being home secretary, saying she should have been given some training for the job before being named.

"When I became home secretary I'd never run a major organization," she told Total Politics magazine. "I hope I did a good job but if I did it was more by luck than by any kind of development of skills. I think we should have been better trained. I think there should have been more induction."

Last month, Smith resigned her position in the wake of scandal over personal use of taxpayer funds and her controversial ban of Savage.

Savage took the offensive against her by appearing on a BBC radio program and filing his lawsuit.

Smith contended upon announcing the ban of Savage May 5 that the talk host was "someone who has fallen into the category of fomenting hatred, of such extreme views and expressing them in such a way that it is actually likely to cause inter-community tension or even violence if that person were allowed into the country."

Savage also has sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, asking that she call on the British government to withdraw the ban.

The complaint against Smith notes the home secretary's office said in a press release that the "controversial daily radio host" is "considered to be engaging in unacceptable behavior by seeking to provoke others to serious criminal acts and fostering hatred which might lead to inter-community violence."

The allegations are "entirely false," the complaint asserts.

"At no time has our client provoked or sought to provoke others to commit crimes or serious criminal acts."

Savage hosts the nation's third most popular radio talk show in the U.S., with an estimated 8 million listeners a week on about 400 stations, according to his syndicator, the Talk Radio Network.

Savage told WND after the ban was announced last month that his message for Smith and the people of the U.K. was, "Shame on you. Shame that you've fallen to such a low level."

"It's interesting to me that here I am a talk show host, who does not advocate violence, who advocates patriotic traditional values – borders, language, culture – who is now on a list banned in England," Savage said. "What does that say about the government of England? It says more about them than it says about me."

The U.K. list also includes Hamas leader Yunis Al-Astal, former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard Stephen Donald Black, neo-Nazi Erich Gliebe and radical American pastor Fred Phelps, known for his virulent anti-gay protests at funerals. Phelps' daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper also is on the list.

On his website, Savage appealed to his listeners to contribute his legal fund, which he has used for various efforts, including a lawsuit last year against the Council on American-Islamic Relations for waging a boycott using excerpts of his copyrighted remarks. In the case of Savage's U.K. ban, however, CAIR has sided with Savage, arguing "freedom of speech is a two-way street."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1200636/Alan-Johnson-ditches-Jacqui-Smiths-wanted-list-blunder.html

Home Secretary Alan Johnson is to scrap his predecessor's policy of naming and shaming people banned from Britain for spreading race hate and terrorism.

The U-turn follows Jacqui Smith's controversial decision two months ago to announce a list of 16 people branded as 'least wanted' in the UK.

It led to a claim for £100,000 damages by U.S. radio 'shock jock' Michael Savage, who objected to being put in the same category as Islamic hate preachers and terrorists.

The Mail on Sunday has been told that Mr Johnson believes the move was a blunder and does not propose to issue similar lists in the future. But the switch could have major legal consequences for the Government.

Mr Savage is suing Ms Smith for libel over the list and abandoning the policy could make it impossible to contest his demand for damages.

The presenter, real name Michael Weiner, has eight million listeners for his Savage Nation show in America, but his hardline views on Islam, rape and autism have caused outrage.

He said Ms Smith had no right to put him on the same list as a former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard, a skinhead gang leader and a Hezbollah militant.

The ban sparked a major debate about freedom of speech - Mr Savage claimed he was forced to employ security guards after threats against him.

He said: 'I'm not a terrorist. I'm one of America's most popular radio hosts and a happily married father of two.

'Maybe Jacqui Smith just plucked my name out of the hat because I'm controversial and white - to counter-balance all the Arabs named on her list.'

The initiative was seen at a time as an attempt by Ms Smith to save her job after her expenses controversy.

She said then: 'It's important that people understand the sorts of values and sorts of standards that we have here, the fact that it's a privilege to come here, and the sort of things that mean you won't be welcome in this country.'

But the list, denounced as a gimmick by the Tories, quickly unravelled after officials admitted not all the fanatics had actually intended to travel to the UK.

They had been placed on a list of people accused of 'unacceptable behaviour' - simply on the off-chance they may decide to visit.

Two on the list, Russian teenage skinheads Artur Ryno and Pavel Skachevsky, were serving ten years in a Russian jail.

Others on the list included a Hamas MP, Islamic activists, a Kashmiri terror group leader and an American Baptist pastor.

SwordoftheVistula
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
They've admitted putting him on the list since they wanted 'white' people to balance out all the muslims on the list:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/25/article-1202169-05D7CA0F000005DC-783_233x331_popup.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202169/US-shock-jock-Savage-targeted-balance-wanted-list.html

Former Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has suffered a major setback in her legal battle with American 'shock jock' Michael Savage after her officials were accused of banning him from the country on racial grounds.

Emails written by Home Office officials privately acknowledged the ban on Mr Savage would provide 'balance' to a list dominated by Muslims - and linked the decision to Gordon Brown and Foreign Secretary David Miliband.

The officials admitted their action could look 'duplicitous' and cited his 'homophobia' as a reason the move would receive public support.

The Right-wing radio presenter, whose hardline views on Islam, rape and autism have caused outrage in the US but whose show, The Savage Nation, has eight million listeners, was identified in May by Ms Smith as one of 16 people barred due to their political views.

Mr Savage, who had not even applied for entry to Britain, claimed his name had been 'plucked out of a hat' because he was 'controversial and white'. He has since served a £100,000 libel writ on Ms Smith, who announced his ban on television.

Now, correspondence released under Freedom of Information legislation suggests the banning of Mr Savage, whose real name is Michael Weiner, was based on a party political calculation made at the highest level of Government.

One message, sent by an unidentified Home Office official on November 27 last year, said that 'with Weiner, I can understand that disclosure of the decision would help provide a balance of types of exclusion cases'.

The documents include a draft recommendation, marked 'Restricted', saying: 'We will want to ensure that the names disclosed reflect the broad range of cases and are not all Islamic extremists.'

A further email confirmed the decision was approved at the highest level of Government, saying: 'HO [Home Office] intend to include Weiner in their quarterly stats... Both the FS [Foreign Secretary] and PM [Prime Minister] are firmly behind listing and naming such people.'

One civil servant, again unnamed, counselled caution, saying: 'I think we could be accused of duplicity in naming him' - without explaining why - and even added that 'the fact that he is homophobic does help'.

The Home Office refused to say whether names on the banned list had been selected to provide political 'balance', adding that any legal proceedings would be 'robustly defended'.

A spokesman said the DJ 'was excluded for engaging in unacceptable behaviour by making comments that might provoke others to serious criminal acts'.

Blue Cheer
04-23-2010, 04:41 AM
He wants to be a Savage but, he's really just a Wiener~

Austin
04-23-2010, 05:45 AM
heh by banning him they have generated more interest in what he stands for than probably any thing he has ever said on radio