PDA

View Full Version : Croatian president apologizes to Holocaust survivors

microrobert
02-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Croatian president apologizes to Holocaust survivors

Croatian President Iso Josipović requested forgiveness from Holocaust survivors in his address to the Knesset on Wednesday.

“Some members of my nation worked to systematically destroy parts of humanity [in World War II],” Josipović said. “We must look in our hearts, at the darkest stain in our history. We must know: The snake is weak, but it is still there.”

He added that an apology is not enough, and he hopes that his country will pass a law to reimburse survivors and their descendants for their property that was lost during the Holocaust.

http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=257929

Heretik
02-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Interesting, though, I cannot find anything about reimbursement in Croatian media.

Heretik
02-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Nevermind, found it now.
Yutarnji (http://www.jutarnji.hr/william-burns--zamjenik-hillary-clinton--u-razgovoru-s-pusic--do-ukidanja-viza-za-sad-ostalo-je-samo-jedno-nerijeseno-pitanje/1007877/) (in Croatian)

derLowe
02-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Croatian president apologizes to Holocaust survivors

Croatian President Iso Josipović requested forgiveness from Holocaust survivors in his address to the Knesset on Wednesday.

“Some members of my nation worked to systematically destroy parts of humanity [in World War II],” Josipović said. “We must look in our hearts, at the darkest stain in our history. We must know: The snake is weak, but it is still there.”

He added that an apology is not enough, and he hopes that his country will pass a law to reimburse survivors and their descendants for their property that was lost during the Holocaust.

http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=257929

Interesting timing of this apology.

Heretik
02-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Interesting is... For how long should we apologize? Let's put aside all revisionism, denial of holocaust and similar, should our every president go to Israel and say that we are sorry? Saying it once and meaning it was enough, saying it more than once is just butt kissing and degradation of our nation.

derLowe
02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Interesting is... For how long should we apologize? Let's put aside all revisionism, denial of holocaust and similar, should our every president go to Israel and say that we are sorry? Saying it once and meaning it was enough, saying it more than once is just butt kissing and degradation of our nation.

With rising antisemitism in Europe I cant help to think that this was a gesture to keep the memory of the Holocaust alive.

I do agree with you, when is enough? The reparations will come out of the taxes of Croatia which are paid by people who were mostly born after the war. Why are the present generations being punished for what happened more than 65 years ago?

Heretik
02-19-2012, 03:39 PM
With rising antisemitism in Europe I cant help to think that this was a gesture to keep the memory of the Holocaust alive.

Well, what Josipović says or does is of no (or little) real relevance in European politics and public opinion.

I do agree with you, when is enough? The reparations will come out of the taxes of Croatia which are paid by people who were mostly born after the war. Why are the present generations being punished for what happened more than 65 years ago?

Absolutely, I haven't (nor did anybody in my family) taken anything from the Jews, why should I or my family pay for somebody else's sins?

Flintlocke
02-19-2012, 03:40 PM
$hoah bu$ine$$

Duke
02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Well, what Josipović says or does is of no (or little) real relevance in European politics and public opinion.

Absolutely, I haven't (nor did anybody in my family) taken anything from the Jews, why should I or my family pay for somebody else's sins?

Yugoslavia komunist party nationalized all of Jewish stuff, and settled in mostly Serbs in it.

I know one story where a Serb officer in Jewish house in Zagreb, plucked parquet to make fire for sheppard stew(Čobanac) in the middle of living room.

Heretik
02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Yugoslavia komunist party nationalized all of Jewish stuff, and settled in mostly Serbs in it.

I seriously doubt that's the case today. ;)

derLowe
02-19-2012, 04:01 PM

A infuriating situation, if I was living there i would be very angry. Croatia dose not need any more hardships especially not self imposed ones.

Heretik
02-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Oh, this is not infuriating at all. We have bigger problems and bigger fish to fry than our Proteus anguinus IE Josipović and his ramblings in Israel.

derLowe
02-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh, this is not infuriating at all. We have bigger problems and bigger fish to fry than our Proteus anguinus IE Josipović and his ramblings in Israel.

A Bit off topic:

I am so out of touch with Croatia and I hate reading the papers you never know what propaganda angle they trying to feed you.

What issues concern the Croatian people there days?

Heretik
02-19-2012, 05:03 PM
The usual, lack of employment possibilities, corrupt politicians, lack of money, raising of VAT...

poiuytrewq0987
02-19-2012, 05:06 PM
The move by Josipovic is nice but let's not dwell on the past as it is the past and you can't change anything that's already happened.

Supreme American
02-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Interesting timing of this apology.

Timing of these things is never coincidental.

This is a shakedown.