PDA

View Full Version : Sikh Police Demand Bulletproof Turbans

Loyalist
05-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Sikh police want bulletproof turbans to be developed so they can serve as firearms officers and deal with public order, a newly-formed body says.

The British Sikh Police Association says Sikh officers cannot currently do such jobs, as their religion prohibits removing turbans to wear helmets.

But the organisation's chairman says he now intends to push for more research on suitable ballistic turban material.

The Home Office said each force needed to ensure religions were accommodated.

The British Sikh Police Association, set up this month to give Sikh officers across the UK an "officially recognised voice", said it wanted its members to play a full role in the police. (Continues)

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8039921.stm)

Beorn
05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
For crying out loud! This all reminds me of that 'Only fools and Horses' episode where Del Boy sells those crash helmets with Turbans on them. :rotfl:

It really does seem art imitates life, albeit a few years late.

I don't have a problem with anyone wishing to uphold their religious rights amongst the new countries they dwell, as long as it does not conflict with current protocols, customs and safety issues.

What would this helmet/turban resemble? It's not as if the current helmets are particularly small and compact as it is without plonking a great big band-aid on top of it.

I remember one Rasta on the sites would wear his hard hat over his enormous dreadlocks, and I was amazed that even though we get safety drummed into our heads at all times, yet they let this Rasta on-site with what amounted to a dread lock decoration.

I am thinking that perhaps this is the exact same conclusion that the Sikhs will have to place upon themselves.

Psychonaut
05-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm at a loss for words. This is easily the stupidest request I've heard all week.

Skandi
05-08-2009, 07:33 PM
I have a solution; you can be in this squad the helmet is optional, as is the protection it carries. If you want a bullet proof one, fine fund and supply them yourselves.

Sol Invictus
05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Sikhs really have been pushing it.

http://i39.tinypic.com/25jhz5i.jpg

Catuvellaunian
05-18-2009, 09:33 AM
"Bulletproof Turban" sounds like a film title :D

Bulletproof hijabs and burkas next?

Freomęg
05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Whilst I find Sikhs among the least offensive of Britain's immigrant groups, this is a prime example of why multiculturalism doesn't work. Until recently, I just had a personal aversion to multiculturalism, but the more I ponder it, the more I draw the same conclusion: that multiculturalism is systematically flawed in a way that even the brainwashed 'left' won't be able to ignore soon enough.

This article is a good example. Another good one is halal and kosher slaughter methods which do not uphold Britain's (still not perfect) tradition of animal welfare. Then there's polygamy vs monogamy, religious holidays, language barriers, banking practices... etc.

Multiculturalism is heading for a brick wall and the public don't even know it.