PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero, Rock Band etc

anonymaus
05-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Am I the only one who wastes hours playing this? :D

http://gandt.blogs.brynmawr.edu/files/2009/04/guitar-hero.jpg

I play GH3 and GH:Aerosmith for PC, and I'm gonna buy World Tour and Metallica... and a PS3 to go along with them :D

RoyBatty
05-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Then get yourself one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VlRUIHwygc

Psychonaut
05-10-2009, 07:58 AM
I absolutely refuse I get my kids one of these. There's no way they're going to spend hours and hours pretending to play a guitar when they could just as easily be learning to play a real one.

anonymaus
05-10-2009, 08:00 AM
I absolutely refuse I get my kids one of these. There's no way they're going to spend hours and hours pretending to play a guitar when they could just as easily be learning to play a real one.

How far do you want to take that sort of logic?

Psychonaut
05-10-2009, 08:13 AM
How far do you want to take that sort of logic?

Far enough that I preclude my kids from spending too much time with video games when those same energies could be directed into developing real talent. I work with so many people who spend hours every day playing guitar hero or sports games. If they would invest just a fraction of that into doing the real thing then, IMO, their lives would be enriched because of it. For most things I think it's better to engage in activities than to simulate those activities through a computer.

Skandi
05-10-2009, 07:02 PM
I used to play I have completed GH GH2 GH3 and rock the eighties. After that I got bored.

Óttar
05-10-2009, 07:13 PM
One should just pick up a real guitar... Think about it. If all the hours spent playing that game were translated into practicing guitar or getting guitar lessons, you'd already know how to play some songs especially considering the number of free guitar tabulatures available on the internet.

I wish I had more of an arts education. Playing an instrument (like a guitar, lute, sitar, or drums) does wonders for someone intellectually as well as socially.

anonymaus
05-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Should people who sing along to music at home or on their ipod take singing lessons?

Psychonaut
05-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Should people who sing along to music at home or on their ipod take singing lessons?

Are you asking this as a separate question, or tacking it onto the Guitar Hero comments as an analogy? If it's the latter, that's not a comparable situation. Now, if you were to zero in the singing analogy to include only the Sing Star game, then I'd say yes, they'd be better off spending their time taking singing lessons than spending hours trying to beat a video game. Doing something sporadically for pleasure is, in my mind, different from sitting down in front of a video game console and building a specific skill set needed to win a video game. It's the latter type of actions that should be diverted into developing real, not simulated, skills.

Rainraven
05-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I used to love playing this game
http://www.addictinggames.com/supercrazy2.html

Now it just seems stupid :p

Lars
05-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Those kinds of games are absolute rubbish.

anonymaus
05-11-2009, 12:51 AM
@Psychonaut: Interesting, thank you.

Those kinds of games are absolute rubbish.

Thank you for offering your opinion which wasn't requested, would you like to provide any kind of justification for it or just leave it floating out there?

Baron Samedi
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Far enough that I preclude my kids from spending too much time with video games when those same energies could be directed into developing real talent. I work with so many people who spend hours every day playing guitar hero or sports games. If they would invest just a fraction of that into doing the real thing then, IMO, their lives would be enriched because of it. For most things I think it's better to engage in activities than to simulate those activities through a computer.

I concur with this 100%

Too many people think they are hot shit because they can "master" this console game.

Hrolf Kraki
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM

No shit!! That game is the most ridiculous waste of time I´ve ever seen.

I´ve played it before and it´s terribly boring. You just press buttons when the colours come up.

Manifest Destiny
05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I just can't get into games like Rock Band. I mean, it's fun every once in a while, but I couldn't play it regularly. I prefer activities that teach real-world skills; like killing hookers and robbing people on Grand Theft Auto. :thumb001: