PDA

View Full Version : Rail Away --- VS-Canada: New York-Montreal (DUTCH - early 2000s?)

The Lawspeaker
02-27-2012, 11:57 AM
http://www.momentotravel.com.au/library/images/blog_images/Amtrak_Adirondack.jpg

Rail Away --- VS-Canada: New York-Montreal (http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1237767) (DUTCH)
End 1990s - early 2000s (before 9-11)

Treffie
02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I've travelled this line, but I travelled from Montreal to NY and then back again. One thing that was glaringly obvious was the difference in attitudes between Canadian and US border controls. When we crossed the border to the US, the train stopped and this noisy rabble climbed on board and us non US citizens were shunted into a carriage all on our own to check our passports etc. On the way back, the Canadian equivalent embarked and quietly got on with the job. This was my first jaunt to North America and before then, I had no idea what the major differences were between Americans and Canadians. :p

The Lawspeaker
02-27-2012, 12:31 PM
I've travelled this line, but I travelled from Montreal to NY and then back again. One thing that was glaringly obvious was the difference in attitudes between Canadian and US border controls. When we crossed the border to the US, the train stopped and this noisy rabble climbed on board and us non US citizens were shunted into a carriage all on our own to check our passports etc. On the way back, the Canadian equivalent embarked and quietly got on with the job. This was my first jaunt to North America and before then, I had no idea what the major differences were between Americans and Canadians. :p
Now you have. :p

I would like to travel this route one day but by the looks of it both the American and Canadian railways could do with a serious overhaul... :D Let alone the differences between the American and Canadian border controls: maybe the Americans should send their war dogs off to Canada to re-learn to do the job.

SilverKnight
02-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Seems like a very beautiful track

Grumpy Cat
02-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Now you have. :p

I would like to travel this route one day but by the looks of it both the American and Canadian railways could do with a serious overhaul... :D Let alone the differences between the American and Canadian border controls: maybe the Americans should send their war dogs off to Canada to re-learn to do the job.

:lol: American guards need to teach Canadian ones. Canadian border guards are a lot ruder than American ones. They're just dicks. When I go to the US, the guards are usually polite. The checks are a pain but at least they're polite. Canadian guards are cold.

Treffie
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
:lol: American guards need to teach Canadian ones. Canadian border guards are a lot ruder than American ones. They're just dicks. When I go to the US, the guards are usually polite. The checks are a pain but at least they're polite. Canadian guards are cold.

I noticed that it was the US guards who were missing out the checks on certain objects and they seemed a lot ruder than the Canadian ones.

Grumpy Cat
02-27-2012, 03:02 PM
I noticed that it was the US guards who were missing out the checks on certain objects and they seemed a lot ruder than the Canadian ones.

You either got unusually rude American guards, or Canadian guards who were really high (they're quite often high).

There was a big report on it a few years back when a guard was bragging about being high on the job on MySpace.

The Lawspeaker
02-27-2012, 03:04 PM
You either got unusually rude American guards, or Canadian guards who were really high (they're quite often high).

High ? You must be kidding me... :eek:

Grumpy Cat
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
High ? You must be kidding me... :eek:

What do you think happens to the drugs that Americans try to sneak across the border?

The Lawspeaker
02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
What do you think happens to the drugs that Americans try to sneak across the border?
Err.. I had hoped they would destroy it but... :rolleyes:

Grumpy Cat
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Err.. I had hoped they would destroy it but... :rolleyes:

You're naive. :lol:

What do you think cops do with drugs the seize?

Sure, they destroy some for PR reasons, but they have some fun with a little bit of it too.

The Lawspeaker
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
You're naive. :lol:

What do you think cops do with drugs the seize?

Sure, they destroy some for PR reasons, but they have some fun with a little bit of it too.
There goes my last bit of confidence in the police and custom services... :lol:

Grumpy Cat
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
There goes my last bit of confidence in the police and custom services... :lol:

They're human. It's not like they're really hurting anyone but themselves. Getting a little high does not affect public safety.

If anything, when they smoke weed they get the pot paranoia and would think everyone's a potential terrorist, so they'll check more thoroughly.

It would just take a long time. :lol:

The Lawspeaker
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
They're human. It's not like they're really hurting anyone but themselves. Getting a little high does not affect public safety.

If anything, when they smoke weed they get the pot paranoia and would think everyone's a potential terrorist, so they'll check more thoroughly.

It would just take a long time. :lol:
Well if they are doing their work while being high.... then that is a threat to public safety. ;)

Grumpy Cat
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Well if they are doing their work while being high.... then that is a threat to public safety. ;)

Only if the people going through the border checkpoint have food in their car. :p

Treffie
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Another funny thing that I remember about this journey is that there was this ginger dyed Floridian woman in her 50's sitting the other side of the carriage. She was so loud and annoying that everyone turned around when she spoke. On one occasion I remember her saying that she was a psychic and that she could read the other passengers' minds :D. There were 4 of us in the group and we were thanking the fact that we were getting off at Plattsburgh so that we could escape her. What we didn't realise was that she and her husband were getting off at Plattsburgh too. :(

After the trip into Plattsburgh, we decided to make our way back to the station to wait for the train. Ginger Floridian and her husband (who couldn't stop farting) were there waiting for us in the waiting room. We almost cried.

The Lawspeaker
06-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Rail Away- Washington State/USA. (http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1142177)

Serie documentaires over markante spoorlijnen overal ter wereld. We vertrekken vanuit Olympia in Washington. We volgen de kust om uiteindelijk via Seattle bij de San Juan-eilanden uit te komen.

(DUTCH)

The Lawspeaker
07-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I really appreciate those AMTRAK-trains. The Acela seems to be a bit of a joke though compared to the ICE or the TGV. But we should take a good look at services like the Adirondack and similar long-distance services in the U.S and Canada. And- where possible: the European service should be HST.