PDA

View Full Version : Retirees moving from England push up the average age of Wales - putting pressure on services

Treffie
02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Wales must adapt to a rapidly ageing population and funding pressures on services as the number of people coming into the country from elsewhere in the UK increased six-fold in the last two years.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icwales2/feb2012/2/6/in-a-year-3-000-more-people-have-come-into-wales-almost-entirely-from-england-than-have-left-828620631.jpg

Migration figures released by the Welsh Government yesterday indicated that around 3,000 more people were coming into Wales – almost entirely from England – than were leaving.

Older people’s charity Age Cymru warned that the country would have to adapt its system to cater for a “rapidly ageing” population, which was being fuelled by a trend of older people moving from England to Wales to retire, while the Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) warned it would increase pressure on public service funding.

The statistics – based on the 12 months up to June 2011 – revealed that around 50,800 people had moved to Wales from the rest of the UK, with 48,940 of those coming from England, the bulk of which came from the North West and the West Midlands.

By contrast, 47,800 left Wales for elsewhere in the UK, with 45,800 going to England, 20.6% of which headed for the South West.

The net migration figure of 3,000 is higher than the previous year (1,900) and up to June 2009 (560), meaning a six-fold increase.

Iwan Rhys Roberts, spokesman for Age Cymru, said that Welsh Government statistics had shown that Wales had to “get to grips” with its changing demographics.

“We have an ageing population, which everyone knows about,” he said.

“These figures remind us of the situation we are facing in Wales and the rest of the UK, although it is ageing far more rapidly here.

“One in four adults in Wales is aged 65 or over at the moment, but in 20 years time one in three adults in Wales will be aged 65 or over. We need to change and adapt for the needs of our future population and government policy and society’s attitudes need to be geared up to meet these changes.”

He added that the Welsh population was ageing more rapidly than the rest of the UK, with the intensity of the rise in Wales down to an increase in inward migration.

Steve Thomas, chief executive of the WLGA, said that net migration reflected that Wales was an attractive place to live, but highlighted the pressures on public services that would accompany the swelling of numbers.

“There’s something around the welfare reforms in England that may be fuelling this,” he said.

“Proposed housing benefit reforms, for example, will affect thousands more families in England than it might in Wales.

“And the impact on us will be in services – we have a declining base in public expenditure and, at the same time, the population grows which impacts on schools, social care and waste services, as well as further afield.

“Migration is a good thing in terms of bringing in new talent – but there is a service impact and cost to accompany it.”

He said that the age profile of a number of Welsh council areas, such as Conwy and Pembrokeshire, were changing “markedly”, which had resulted in some areas being put under greater strain than others.

He added: “These are desirable places for people to retire and live.

“But clearly in terms of local authority services it brings its own problems, and that’s something that strategic planners will have to look at.”

Link (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/02/24/rapidly-ageing-population-as-retired-english-move-to-wales-91466-30395530/)

Graham
02-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Does Wales have it's own NHS? With the current NHS reforms going through at Westminster. Can see problems with the older generation, moving into more suitable areas.

Treffie
02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Does Wales have it's own NHS? With the current NHS reforms going through at Westminster. Can see problems with the older generation, moving into more suitable areas.

Yep. In Wales, the Health Service is a devolved power. I can see why a lot of them want to come here - free prescriptions.

Graham
02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Yep. In Wales, the Health Service is a devolved power. I can see why a lot of them want to come here - free precriptions.

Old people and the Unemployed etc.. get them free in England also.

Don't have a problem with them coming up here as long as the retirement money gets spent. :D

The problem I have, is those who have second holiday homes, left empty. Council tax on empty homes is being increased more so. But, I can imagine Wales has the empty holiday homes problem too.

Treffie
02-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Oh yeah. It must obviously be the cost of properties that brings them here

The problem I have, is those who have second holiday homes, left empty. Council tax on empty homes is being increased more so. But, I can imagine Wales has the empty holiday homes problem too.

Yep, north and west especially.

Albion
04-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Pensioners usually retire to either the south coast, south west or rural areas of the north.
I know some are going to Wales too, but people write news reports about that just because it's Wales and the pensioners are English. When pensioners move en mass to the south coast and south west nobody bats an eyelid.

Don't have a problem with them coming up here as long as the retirement money gets spent. :D

I agree, I can't stand it either. There's a lot of second homes in the national parks and the south coast and sw too.
Basically any nice rural areas are bought up by selfish people wanting holiday homes or elderly buying 4 / 5 bedroom houses when there's only two of them. :mad:

On top of that everyone expects to make a killing selling properties on now so we see house prices going through the roof.
"Sod the next generation - there's money to be made!"

Albion
07-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Percentage of residents born in England:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2723/u0yi.png
Notes: That large county in the Middle (Powys) is misleading. It has no large towns and no large hospital, so patients often get sent to Shrewsbury. The same applies to Cerdigion. Not sure about the situation in Flintshire in the North East, but it wouldn't surprise me if a similar situation exists. But the picture is further blurred by English migration to Powys - people from Birmingham and the West Midlands are buying up the county.

Percentage of residents not born in Wales:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2237/w1c.png
Note: see residents born in England.

Population describing themselves as partially or wholly English:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7586/6d6.png
Note: English migration to Powys and the North East is clearly visible, notably in Conwy (probably due to OAPs retiring to Llandudno and similar towns. English migrants to Wales are mostly old or middle aged.

Population describing themselves as partially or wholly Welsh:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/540/kcm.png
Note: Strange that it's strongest in the south. The south had historic migration from England, especially in the 19th century but they seem to have assimilated. I doubt that many Welsh deny their Welsh identity in favour of a solely British one, so this chart probably shows actual figures for the Welsh population in those counties. Apart from Cardiff and Flintshire, the majority of the non-Welsh (English) will be older generations.