PDA

View Full Version : Youth's racist attack on tourists

Beorn
05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Youth's racist attack on tourists

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45083000/jpg/_45083209_blaenaustation4226.jpg

The attack happened as the family waited for a train at Blaenau Ffestiniog

A teenager who threw stones at a family on holiday because they were English has been spared custody.
Paula Owen from Bolton, Greater Manchester, who was attacked with her husband Lee, has vowed never to return to Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd.
The 16-year-old, who admitted racially aggravated threatening behaviour, will be tagged and was given a two-year community and rehabilitation order.

Mrs Owen was awarded £150 compensation by a youth court in Dolgellau.
The court heard the youth's parents are to write a letter of apology to the Owens.
Rocks were thrown at the family while they were at Blaenau Ffestiniog station, waiting for a train at the narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway on 28 August this year.
One of the rocks hit Mrs Owen on her arm and narrowly missed her two-year-old daughter sitting in a pushchair.
She was awarded £150 compensation by youth court chairman Dorothy Hughes.

Crown Prosecutor Mel Hughes said that it was "abhorrent, unprovoked behaviour" towards the family.
The court heard the youth, from Blaenau Ffestiniog, shouted and swore at them in an aggressive manner just because they were English.
Mrs Owen was taken to hospital and the family cut short their holiday in Wales.

Community order

In a separate incident the youth admitted assaulting his 16-year-old girlfriend outside a nightclub when refused admission, and causing harassment, alarm and distress.
Court chairman Mrs Hughes said that custody was an option but felt that the public would be better served by a long community order.
John Parsons, defending, had argued that a strict community and rehabilitation order and curfew would help his client more than detention and training.

The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, will also be tagged at home between 2000 and 0600 BST for three months.
"My client's parents want me to say that they want to write to the Owen family to apologise and say that there would never be a repetition of what occurred," said Mr Parsons.

After the sentence, Mr Owen, who visits his grandfather in north Wales, said he had been verbally abused on a previous visit.
He said it was damaging for tourism, with the culprits "biting the hand that feeds them".
Mr Owen, whose father is from Anglesey, said he would continue to visit although his wife has vowed not to return to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7655250.stm)

I couldn't help but laugh at the biggest irony of the story.

Treffie
05-10-2009, 11:36 PM
What can I say? The kid is obviously a moron. :(

But having said that, there's still a lot of resentment towards the English in those north-western parts.

Electronic God-Man
05-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I couldn't help but laugh at the biggest irony of the story.

Owen is a Welsh surname, and it even says that the guy goes to visit his grandfather in Wales.

Albion
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Fucking idiot. He might resent the English, but he has to face facts - tourists from Northern English sustain the ailing economy of many of North Wales' towns. Put off yet more tourists and they'll go to Spain, leaving less and less jobs and money being available in these towns.