PDA

View Full Version : EU leaders grant Serbia candidate status

Radojica
03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
European Union leaders have granted Serbia "candidate status", at a summit in Brussels.
Belgrade has made a series of democratic reforms and captured war crimes suspects to satisfy EU demands. It applied for EU membership in 2009.
The summit came two days after foreign ministers from the 27-member bloc recommended accepting Serbia.
The president of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy, described the move as a "remarkable achievement".
He said it was the result of improved dialogue between Serbia and Kosovo, which Belgrade still regards as a breakaway territory.
Candidate status is a recognition that a country is ready to begin formal negotiations on EU membership.
If Serbia's neighbour Croatia joins as planned in mid-2013 that process will have taken nearly a decade.
Candidate countries have to bring their laws into line with EU standards. (http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/enlargement_process/accession_process/how_does_a_country_join_the_eu/negotiations_croatia_turkey/index_en.htm) Their institutions have to demonstrate respect for democracy and human rights and they have to have open market economies that can withstand competition.

Croatia is now an acceding country, in EU jargon. The other candidate countries are: Iceland, Macedonia, Montenegro and Turkey.
Serbia recently made a series of concessions on Kosovo, which has been a major stumbling block.
European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said Serbia's candidacy "shows that the EU remains very attractive ... [because it and other countries] want to join this project of freedom, responsibility and solidarity".

rest of the article
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17225415)

purple
03-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I wish Serbia never joins

I wish Bulgaria had a fine for corruption in the political system and hopefully they will kick us out!

Seriously, why would such a chauvinist country like Serbia join the EU? Balkans are Balkans. We do not need EU to educate us. I hope Bulgaria is out soon!

MandM
03-13-2012, 05:34 PM
435PWQMdhKQ

The Lawspeaker
03-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I feel sorry for Serbia. You have my pity. The sooner the EU collapses the better.

Radojica
03-13-2012, 05:40 PM
435PWQMdhKQ

Nasao si koga ces da citiras :rolleyes:

Europa
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I've always believed that decisions like that should be taken after a referendum.Let people decide what is better for them.In other words ,whether their country to join the EU or not.After a big campaign of course,explaining what will be changed and what will remain.Cheers.

Arrow Cross
03-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Don't quite start weeping just yet; it took eight to ten years for unfortunate victim states of the last round of enlargement to go from applicant states to member states.

This monstrousity might not last that long.