PDA

View Full Version : Baked Custard! :)

Frigga
05-11-2009, 09:07 PM
This is a very simple, easy, and tasty custard. I use heavy whipping cream, as it makes a nice, thick custard with an excellent texture and flavor. You can use whole milk, or half and half if you wish, but you get the best results with heavy cream. Don't use fractionated or skim milk, as you need the butter fat in the milk for it to turn out right. I use honey as my sweetener, but you can use any sweetener you like. This recipe is from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

Baked Custard

2 cups heavy whipping cream, half and half, or whole mik.
5 egg yolks
1/4-1/3 cup of honey, or other sweetener
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 F. Heat cream over very flame until the chill is taken off. In a bowl with a spout, (a batter bowl, I feel this works the best) beat the egg yolks with the honey. Slowly add cream, whisking constantly. Blend in vanilla. Pour into individual custard cups, (I use four) and then place in a water bath. This is where you take a larger pan, like a large shallow oblong cake pan, and fill it with hot water. You want the water to come halfway up the sides of the custard cups. Place in the hot oven, and bake for one hour, or until a knife inserted into the custard comes out clean. Chill well.

This is a good party dessert, as it can be made the day before, covered and chilled.

:)