PDA

View Full Version : Srđan Aleksić, true hero of Bosnian war

Radojica
03-06-2012, 10:50 AM
This article is from the Wikipedia, but dont doubt in its credibility.

Srđan Aleksić (Serbian Cyrillic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_Cyrillic_language): Срђан Алексић, 1966 - 27 January 1993) was a Bosnian Serb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_Serb) amateur actor, prospective swimmer, and soldier in the Army of Republika Srpska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Republika_Srpska) (VRS) during the War in Bosnia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Bosnia). He lost his life while defending an ethnic Bosniak, his friend, from being attacked by a group of VRS soldiers, by which he has received several posthumous awards, and a documentary of his life, Srđo, was made by RTS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTS) in 2007.

On 21 January 1993, a group of Army of the Republika Srpska soldiers inspected several people at the Trebinje market. After establishing that one of them, Alen Glavović, was a Bosniak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniak), they started harassing and beating him; Glavović was the neighbour and friend of Aleksić. He immediately intervened and tried to aid Glavović, so the four soldiers turned against him and beat him to death with their rifle butts, in front of police officers. Due to the incurred injuries, Srđan fell into a coma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coma), and died on 27 January 1993. Srđan's father wrote in his obituary that "Srđan died carrying out his human duty".
One of the attackers on Srđan was killed during the war, whilst the rest were convicted to twenty-eight months in prison.
Alen Glavović today lives in Sweden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden), and is married with two kids. Every year he visits Trebinje, Srđan's grave and his father.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/temp-2012-01-29/uakdjFtjEzkzwlyxwhfpaGEHbaFnoJAfkizklemuypvwkixxku nxEpqEzvek/srdjan_aleksic_dvije_spojene_slike.JPG.scaled1000. jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1331034240&Signature=iBkvx81SKqdAPGl7wo3gzGIWlDo%3D

http://www.zamirzine.net/IMG/jpg/srdjan_aleksi_.jpg

There's initiative to name after his name the smallest, but the most important passages in the cities cores in Serbia, Pancevo is the last on this list, next to Sarajevo, Novi Sad and soon it's going to happen in Tuzla.

Hurrem sultana
03-06-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.sarajevo-x.com/vijesti/bih/inicijativa-za-posthumno-odlikovanje-srdjana-aleksica/120303051

podrzavam :)

Viljuska
03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I heard about him before, he is also mentioned in The Weight of Chains (a Canadian documentary, very good film). I think he knew Alen from before (was his friend?), and I think most people would try to protect their friend, but still brave of him to do so in Trebinje 1993 when everything was fucked up. Also I have a memory the VRS soldiers that got into a fight with Srđan were drunk, but I dont remember exact circumstances.

A man must try to do what he feels is the right thing to do, it is very sad that Srđan lost his life.

Adrian
03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
The war in Bosnia was one of the most difficult and most incomprehensible throughout history. Unlike the war in Kosova,IE, where enemies were visible because of completely different nationalities and very small number of mixed marriages...in Bosnia, mixed marriages and friendship between Serbs and bosnian muslims were much higher in number before the war.
Imagine a person with serbian father and muslim bosnian mother, or vice versa. How difficult it was for him to position himself, and to decide in which side to go!
Or, there were a cases when a Serb and a Bosnian were friends for 20 or 30 years, and after the beginning of the war they had run guns to each other!

As for the thread. Brave guy, real hero.

Radojica
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
The war in Bosnia was one of the most difficult and most incomprehensible throughout history. Unlike the war in Kosova,IE, where enemies were visible because of completely different nationalities and very small number of mixed marriages...in Bosnia, mixed marriages and friendship between Serbs and bosnian muslims were much higher in number before the war.
Imagine a person with serbian father and muslim bosnian mother, or vice versa. How difficult it was for him to position himself, and to decide in which side to go!
Or, there were a cases when a Serb and a Bosnian were friends for 20 or 30 years, and after the beginning of the war they had run guns to each other!

Illyrian, not sure if you can understand something ( I suppose you can as you live in Kosovo ;) ), but this song make my skin bristle every time I hear it, so true, so sad... People who don't know shit would say this is just Croatian propaganda...when we hate with hate with all our hearths, but when we love, we love til the pain ;)

7mzMkdtJedc

Adrian
03-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Rado, I can't view this video for the moment. I will answer later :)

Adrian
03-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Illyrian, not sure if you can understand something ( I suppose you can as you live in Kosovo ;) ),

Sure, I understand the language. I was little boy in time of YU, but I've learned serbo-croatian language from TV and serbians in my neighbourhood.

but this song make my skin bristle every time I hear it, so true, so sad... People who don't know shit would say this is just Croatian propaganda...when we hate with hate with all our hearths, but when we love, we love til the pain ;)

7mzMkdtJedc

I haven't listened this song before. Good song.
Mainly, croatians, serbs and bosnians have had excellent relations between them at the time of YU. Number of mixed marriages explains it very well. Later, things changed.

While I write, two things come to my mind.

1. Yugo car - as a symbol of unity and economic development of Yugoslavia
http://www.totalcarmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Yugo-3.jpg
:D

...and this movie scene from 'Lord of War' with Nicolas Cage.

2. "...I will launched a shipment to the Balkans. When they say we going to have a war, they keep their word".

a-lBR46S2ng

:D

Guapo
03-07-2012, 02:19 AM
People who don't know shit would say this is just Croatian propaganda...[/YOUTUBE]

Sure it's propaganda, there are no blonde Serbian women. They're still singing Serbian songs after the war too and the old footage of chetniks is awesome.

Lena
03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Mainly, croatians, serbs and bosnians have had excellent relations between them at the time of YU. Number of mixed marriages explains it very well. Later, things changed.

Even later many of them, when in a position, helped each other trough the war. Some of them were crossing Miljacka in the middle of the Winter, going to the 'Serbian side' because their beloved ones were on the other side...

While I write, two things come to my mind.

1. Yugo car - as a symbol of unity and economic development of Yugoslavia
http://www.totalcarmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Yugo-3.jpg

jWtFaPcNxgY

Heretik
03-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Propaganda says so but that is not the truth really. Maybe it was like that in the beginning of SFRJ but the reality, especially in the late 60's and early 70's, was much different. I would say that relations between Croats and Serbs were similar to relations nowadays.

Respect for Srđan Aleksić!

Viljuska
03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Would you say the same thing for Milan Levar or Josip Kir?

Hurrem sultana
03-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Mix marriages are overrated,,,the highest nr of intermarriages had Mostar with around 25% of all marriages,,,in most other areas it was taboo and very rare.I know a case in my own family where a guy married a Serbian woman and his family didn't speak to him ever since,,it has been 20 years now.

When it comes to the children from those marriages usually they have no dilemma,they are on Bosnias side,,,but to the nationalist Bosniaks they are a true pain in the ass,because the mixed children are way too "multi culti" for them :D.I remember one bosniak politcian calling them "kopiladi"(bastards) :(

But no doubt they are usually mostly on the side of Bosnia.One of my friends is half croatian-half bosniak,her mom is croat and she divorced her father years ago...you would think she will return to her own traditions but she respects all the holidays even today....when you ask her what she is she will say Mostarka :D only if you go into detail you will find out she is croatian :D

Guapo
03-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Mix marriages are overrated,,,the highest nr of intermarriages had Mostar with around 25% of all marriages,,,in most other areas it was taboo and very rare.I know a case in my own family where a guy married a Serbian woman and his family didn't speak to him ever since,,it has been 20 years now.

When it comes to the children from those marriages usually they have no dilemma,they are on Bosnias side,,,but to the nationalist Bosniaks they are a true pain in the ass,because the mixed children are way too "multi culti" for them :D.I remember one bosniak politcian calling them "kopiladi"(bastards) :(

But no doubt they are usually mostly on the side of Bosnia.One of my friends is half croatian-half bosniak,her mom is croat and she divorced her father years ago...you would think she will return to her own traditions but she respects all the holidays even today....when you ask her what she is she will say Mostarka :D only if you go into detail you will find out she is croatian :D

You "bosnians" are overrated and all of you have all 3 ethnicites in your background somewhere in the woodpile.

Respect for Milan and Josip for sure.

Heretik
03-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Those are entirely different cases and I wouldn't call them heroes but normal human beings who have done what they thought was best (and probably was best).

Adrian
03-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Even later many of them, when in a position, helped each other trough the war. Some of them were crossing Miljacka in the middle of the Winter, going to the 'Serbian side' because their beloved ones were on the other side...

No doubt there were many such cases. Wars can never be described in black and white, especially the wars in Yugoslavia. Coexistence have influenced people to create various collaborations with each other, during YU, and war has never been an option for much of them.

jWtFaPcNxgY

I don't know who is author of the text, but I can say that the text (and music) is marvelous.

One of the comments on youtube:
YUGO : You go, but car doesn' t ! :D

Aramis
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Druze Tito, mi ti se kunemo, u Evropu skupa mi idemo.

Prošlost nas ne znaima, jer uvijek su na Balkanu dobre trebe, dobra klima.

NmfU5bkVaQ0

Lena
03-07-2012, 02:59 PM
prošlost nas ne znaima, jer uvijek su na balkanu dobre trebe, dobra klima.

Овде остављам само осмех :)

Aramis
03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Овде остављам само осмех :)

To je stih iz postavljene pjesme.

Lena
03-07-2012, 03:21 PM
to je stih iz postavljene pjesme.

Имала сам идеју на слепо али ми не квари осмех.

Viljuska
03-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Those are entirely different cases and I wouldn't call them heroes but normal human beings who have done what they thought was best (and probably was best).
I dont agree with you, here's why..

Milan was officer i Croatian army who refused to carry out some orders which he considered immoral and dishonest. The orders involed "actions" against serb civilians in Gospic.
Later he also testified in ICTY about the killings which took place in Gospic 1991, though he was threatened.
This guy had balls the size of church bells and you know it.
Somebody planted a bomb in his house and killed him.

Milan Levar je za života i nakon smrti duboko podijelio hrvatsku javnost. Dio ga je smatrao izdajnikom, dio ga je smatrao herojem i mučenikom, a dio simbolom nesposobnosti i nevoljkosti hrvatske države da se suoči s neugodnim aspektima svoje ratne prošlosti.

Josip was commander of the Osijek police.
He put a lot of work and effort into peace negotiations but was killed for it.
Details below, if this guy is not a hero I don't know who is.

Bio je miroljubiv, ljutili su ga nerazumni ispadi i s hrvatske i sa srpske strane te je požrtvovno nastojao da spreči otvoreni rat u istočnoj Slavoniji. Činio je to sopstvenim primerom — sam i nenaoružan odlazio je na barikade srpskih pobunjenika oko Osijeka, pokušavajući da ih urazumi. Nekoliko nedelja pre nego što je ubijen, u Tenji je lično razoružao svog naknadnog ubicu Antuna Gudelja, jednog od hrvatskih ekstremista.

The Murder of the Pacifist Josip Reihl-Kir in Croatia 1991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLa7wtrQuAI

Heretik
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
I dont agree with you, here's why..

Milan was officer i Croatian army who refused to carry out some orders which he considered immoral and dishonest. The orders involed "actions" against serb civilians in Gospic.
Later he also testified in ICTY about the killings which took place in Gospic 1991, though he was threatened.
This guy had balls the size of church bells and you know it.

Have I claimed differently? They were brave men but I wouldn't exactly call them heroes. You are free to disagree with me.

Adrian
03-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Propaganda says so but that is not the truth really. Maybe it was like that in the beginning of SFRJ but the reality, especially in the late 60's and early 70's, was much different. I would say that relations between Croats and Serbs were similar to relations nowadays.

I've always had the impression that there were more mixed marriages between serbs, croats and bosnians!
It wasn't my intention to do any kind of propaganda...it was, somehow, result of a misconception or misinformation of mine.

Viljuska
03-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Have I claimed differently? They were brave men but I wouldn't exactly call them heroes. You are free to disagree with me.You said..

I asked if you would say the same for the Croats (Milan and Josip), who also like Srđan tried to stop madness but in their own ways and also got killed for it.

I was just curious, and I've got your answer.

Viljuska
03-07-2012, 08:05 PM
I've always had the impression that there were more mixed marriages between serbs, croats and bosnians!
It wasn't my intention to do any kind of propaganda...it was, somehow, result of a misconception or misinformation of mine.
Mixed marriage is not a good thing, it's basic "education" in Balkans ;)

Hurrem sultana
03-07-2012, 08:12 PM

At least not in a society like Balkans,,,still remember,even though i was a child, a woman named Svetlana in our neighborhood,she was a Serb married to a Bosniak

he hated the serbs and he did not hide it their children too were very anti serb,wonder how she must have felt.:rolleyes2:

Viljuska
03-07-2012, 08:18 PM
At least not in a society like Balkans,,,still remember,even though i was a child, a woman named Svetlana in our neighborhood,she was a Serb married to a Bosniak

he hated the serbs and he did not hide it their children too were very anti serb,wonder how she must have felt.:rolleyes2:
It is the wisest to stick to your own kind, but in the end we all make our decisions. Love can be very tricky and may cause some bad luck.

Hurrem sultana
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
I agree,we have a saying here "u svojoj basci beri cvijece"...i try to stick to it :D

easier though to date a swede,german,englishman etc than croat or serb

Aramis
03-07-2012, 08:38 PM
"Stick with your own kind" in a merely ethnic sense is worthelss when choosing a partner. A suitable life companion, one of "my own kind" is anyone with similarities in behavior and thoughts, no matter where from.

In most people it's ideology and enviroment over blood. I guess that's why a lot of Bosniaks consider Turks to be of their kind.

Viljuska
03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
"Stick with your own kind" in a merely ethnic sense is worthelss when choosing a partner. A suitable life companion, one of "my own kind" is anyone with similarities in behavior and thoughts, no matter where from.

In most people it's ideology and enviroment over blood. I guess that's why a lot of Bosniaks consider Turks to be of their kind.I understand what you are saying, but similarities in behaviour and thought is more likely with same ethnic background.

Aramis
03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I understand what you are saying, but similarities in behaviour and thought is more likely with same ethnic background.

For most people here, of course. But as villages die out and folks move to cities, everyone gets more individualistic, and so do their personalities and preferences. Traditional ethnic based identities are becoming smaller in number, and the existing ideologies are undergoing a change in substance.

For example, and correct me if I'm wrong, there is an ever growing strain of white supermacist thought among modern serbian nationalists. Or? Well, with this circumstance taken into account, one of their kind might rather be drawn to
an English neo-nazi whos fixated upon ideas of racial purity than a Serbian nationalist of the old calibre whos views on race and volk are more spiritual than physical.

Point is, times change, and when you nowadays tell someone to "stick to their own kind" ethnically speaking (wich seems like a clear statement), it might turn out to be more open to various interpretations than you think

Viljuska
03-07-2012, 10:06 PM
For most people here, of course. But as villages die out and folks move to cities, everyone gets more individualistic, and so do their personalities and preferences. Traditional ethnic based identities are becoming smaller in number, and the existing ideologies are undergoing a change in substance.

For example, and correct me if I'm wrong, there is an ever growing strain of white supermacist thought among modern serbian nationalists. Or? Well, with this circumstance taken into account, one of their kind might rather be drawn to
an English neo-nazi whos fixated upon ideas of racial purity than a Serbian nationalist of the old calibre whos views on race and volk are more spiritual than physical.

Point is, times change, and when you nowadays tell someone to "stick to their own kind" ethnically speaking (wich seems like a clear statement), it might turn out to be more open to various interpretations than you think
Aramis, this is a very interesting post.
I will answer it tomorrow.

Lena
03-07-2012, 11:47 PM

It depends... My cousin is married to a Croat woman from Bosnia and we accepted her and her family who now lives in Croatia, as a part of ours.
I never heard any of my extended family members saying a single bad thing about them based on their ethnicity and I can say that they have really nice marriage, 3 kids :)
I met in the States a half Croat-half Serbian (her dad's side) woman from Bosnia, married to a Croat man (from Bosnia as well) and he absolutely respects her Serbian family, they also have nice marriage, 2 kids.

Guapo
03-07-2012, 11:53 PM
I know shitloads of Serb-Croat mixed marriages. My cousin married a Croat chick from Dalmatia of all places, he is not a part of our family anymore :D I know a few mixed Serb-Bosniak dudes as well but they're in jail for theft, extortion etc.

Heretik
03-08-2012, 12:24 AM
You said..

I asked if you would say the same for the Croats (Milan and Josip), who also like Srđan tried to stop madness but in their own ways and also got killed for it.

I was just curious, and I've got your answer.

You need to learn how to read with understanding. I added that as my opinion on the thread's main theme but you either misunderstood my post or understood it to fit your opinion about Croats and/or me.

Guapo
03-08-2012, 12:41 AM
For example, and correct me if I'm wrong, there is an ever growing strain of white supermacist thought among modern serbian nationalists. Or?

We have Inquiring Mind to thank for that.

Viljuska
03-08-2012, 04:16 PM

I think that for humans, personality and ideology (to some extent) is related to selection, just like “racial purity” (from your example) or physical attraction.
These are things that make us drawn to somebody.
But this is not what will make a marriage last.
And this is not enough to endure the years (for the sake of the children).

When I say “stick to your own kind” I’m thinking of somebody from a family with the same (or very similar) language, culture, traditions mentality and values in particular.
The English gal from your example might not be the best match, because personality and racial purity is not enough for the next level.

For optimal communications (language), fellowship (culture, traditions) and relationship (values), she should ideally have the same (ethnic) background as well.
Or else it is more likely to run into trouble, as soon as the parents and rest of the families meet, or when planning simple things like the wedding and involvement is coming from all sides.
If you can’t agree if liquor bottles should be placed on guest’s tables, how will you agree on issues related to child rearing? These are my thoughts.

Of course there are exceptions. I never said a mixed marriage cannot work. It can or like Lena says “it depends”. After all, serbs, bosniaks and croats do have things in common, especially if removing politics and what happened in the past from the mix. I’m just saying what I think is the best, and this is something that I was taught from home (našu ženu da oženiš!), it’s a more proven formula.

I realize times change, a lot could be said about this. But hopefully it’s still obvious one doesn’t mean gypsies or non-europeans (ethnically speaking) :coffee:

purple
03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Yugoslavia was closest to utopia..neither the Soviet Union nor any other Eastern Bloc country had so good aspects as Yugoslavia..I am sorry it ended.

пустиняк
03-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Yugoslavia was closest to utopia..neither the Soviet Union nor any other Eastern Bloc country had so good aspects as Yugoslavia..I am sorry it ended.

Lol are you serious ?

Heretik
03-08-2012, 05:03 PM

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/241/572/6b4.jpg

purple
03-08-2012, 05:06 PM
yeah, I am serious..why not..i support some ideas of communism!:thumbs up

Vukodav
03-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Yuga was not utopia, but comparing to other commie countries it was great place. When I hear the stories of people who visited Romania in that time (you could literaly pay a hooker with a buble gum lol) than yeah, Yugoslavia was the best place to live in Eastern Europe.

Guapo
03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Yuga was not utopia, but comparing to other commie countries it was great place. When I hear the stories of people who visited Romania in that time (you could literaly pay a hooker with a buble gum lol) than yeah, Yugoslavia was the best place to live in Eastern Europe.

It wasn't really communist in the first place. Money was pouring in from the west always. Tito was America's pawn, not the Soviet's, and after he died and the Berlin Wall fell they basically had no need for a strong united Yugoslavia in the region anymore so they helped disintegrate it.

But yeah, compare it to Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary etc. even Greece, it was "The West"