PDA

View Full Version : "Ex-soldier deserves death for crimes"..?

Lady L
05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
PADUCAH, Ky. – Federal prosecutors say a former soldier convicted of raping and murdering an Iraqi teenager and killing her family deserves a death sentence because the crimes were so heinous.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Marisa Ford asked jurors Monday to sentence former Pfc. Steven Dale Green to die.

Defense attorneys say Green didn't act alone, and that none of the other soldiers involved faced such a harsh sentence.

The 24-year-old Green, a former 101st Airborne Division soldier from Texas, was convicted last week in the 2006 attack on a 14-year-old girl and her family in Mahmoudiya, Iraq.

Jurors are expected to hear testimony for much of the week before deciding if Green receives a death sentence or life in prison without parole.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090511/ap_on_re_us/us_iraq_rape_slaying;_ylt=Am6_QyHM7KZfCaLS0YUpswJv zwcF

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ludzzn.jpg

My gods he looks Crazy! :D Just kidding :D I couldn't help myself!!! :lmao
( Love You Lyfing, Your Beautiful :fgift: ) :D

Now, here is the real pic :)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2cehock.jpg

Would you give him life in prison or death penalty..? I'm wondering because, should he be treated as any other criminal..? Or could his violent act have something to do with what he may have experienced..?

Loki
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Would you give him life in prison or death penalty..? I'm wondering because, should he be treated as any other criminal..? Or could his violent act have something to do with what he may have experienced..?

I think the death penalty is extreme. In most cases, I wouldn't support it. In this case, certainly not. He has committed a crime and should be punished. But we shouldn't punish him by murdering him, then we become criminals as well. Murder remains murder -- whether a private person commits it, or the state.

Psychonaut
05-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't think that soldiers should be executed by their own people for crimes committed against people we are at war with. The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), which he's being tried under, does permit for execution in his case, but I don't think it's warranted.

Sol Invictus
05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I've got a better idea, how about we execute the globalists who descided it was best for well-meaning, young men to go off and die in an illegal and un-provoked invasion. This man kills a family and they want him dead, but the globalists who authorized the murders of tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis in their own homes, as well as thousands of American citizens on their own soil, and they are allowed to lay around and get fat off their bailouts and war profits? Wanna talk justice? Let's have court proceedings for the Criminal Government who've hijacked the Military and put this man in harms way for no legal or legitimate reason what-so-ever.

RoyBatty
05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Do the humane thing, hand that scumbag over to the Iraqis.

Osweo
05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't know; it's hard to see what's politicised and what's not in this case.

Someone on Wiki has certainly gone out of their way to put up an 'evil-looking' mugshot:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Steven_Green.jpg/200px-Steven_Green.jpg

The Armed Forces probably should have execution as an option in case of serious criminal acts like this is supposed to be, but whether to use it or not is a matter for what the precedents are.

If he raped any young girl in any circumstances, I'd shoot him outright, no matter who or where, but is it so clear that this is what has happened here?

It's a nightmare situation for an individual if the media and co. decide it needs to make an example of someone. I hope that the trial goes ahead by the book.

Spaniard_Truth
05-12-2009, 09:42 PM
He didn't do anything against American society so there's no reason for American society to punish him. War is war. People get ,people die. The fact that this is even stands out as a big deal shows how 'wussy' the Iraqi war actually was.

Rainraven
05-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Witness: Ex-soldier had PTSD, was unfit for combat
By BRETT BARROUQUERE
PADUCAH, Ky. (AP) — A former soldier who could be sentenced to death should have been removed from a combat zone known as the "Triangle of Death" three months before he raped and killed a teenage girl in Iraq, a psychiatrist testified Tuesday.
Dr. Pablo Stewart, a psychiatrist at the University of California-San Francisco, told jurors that former Pfc. Steven Dale Green exhibited clear signs of post-traumatic stress disorder and acute stress disorder when he met with an Army counselor in December 2005.
Stewart, testifying for Green's defense, said Lt. Col. Karen Marrs gave Green a sleep medication and sent him back into combat.
"Her work with Pfc. Green ... does not meet the acceptable standard of care," Stewart said.

Full article (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iYeOUInDxFuT4T8CsYG9-_KfQ9pgD98506VO0)

Either he did it because he's a sick person who deserves to die, or he's an unbalanced individual who should not have been allowed to get into such a position. If there is any uncertainty then I don't believe he should get the death penalty for it.

SwordoftheVistula
05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
This incident shouldn't have been revealed in the first place, and because it was, some other soldiers from the unit were kidnapped, tortured, and killed; so if you want to charge anyone then charge the morons who made this info public and gave a rallying point to the terrorists. It's all well and fine for revisionist historians to go back decades after a war is over and make this sort of info available as a matter of historic record, but during a war they should take car to avoid revealing information which will give propaganda to the enemy. Things like losses and expenses have to be revealed in a democracy/republic so that the public can make informed choices about whether or not to continue the war, but I see no reason whatsoever to reveal information such as this.

Now that the cat's out of the bag, they will have to either keep in the current policy of trying to present themselves as 'friendly liberators' and either execute the guy or turn him over to the Iraqis to do so, because just throwing him in jail for a bit of time isn't going to appease the Iraqis. The other option, if they wanted to go the route of 'better to be feared and respected', just let the guy off.