Le sui... I gcuimhne na glºire

Muintir na ndeithe
Muintir na nirt
Muintir na tola

Ag fi draoichta
Mealltach na cruinne

Oscallaionn se go fairsing dom
M'fhuil ge siorai
I actually did understand a few bits, about blood and immortality and forests, kings and gods, but my grammar is useless. I just spot nouns if I'm lucky.

Anyroad:
Ancient blood

our blood shall live forever
the circle of the earth

ancient gods our fire still burns
take us your sons into eternity

that which comes from the earth
shall return once more
I've walked the forests, called your name
felt the spirits...felt the pain

longing
for the ancient thrones
high kings
to be seated...in memory
of glory

songs of gods
sons of might
sons of will
weave magic
enchantment of the earth

it opens wide for me
my blood in eternity....
;)

Treffie
05-13-2009, 08:52 AM
^I'm impressed Oswiu, and I thought that Welsh looked difficult!

Óttar
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Which dialect is it? Standardising the language and getting people to follow it, will be one of Irish Gaelic's hardships for the future.

Osweo
05-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Which dialect is it? Standardising the language and getting people to follow it, will be one of Irish Gaelic's hardships for the future.
Wasn't that rather more a question for the 1920s than the 2010s?

The Free State introduced full bilingualism into its bureaucracy. To get into a decent government job, you had to have a command of the Gaelic. (Incidentally, a major reason why why grandmother came Over Here - she was great with numbers and so on, but rubbish at languages)

In order to have done so, it rather seems that a Standard was figured out, if only by adopting one dialect over the others. I don't know but I'd imagine that the form used was a descendant more of the older written Gaelic that was still to be found in ecclesiastical and secular documents of the 17th Century, than of the contemporary colloquial versions.

Decades of primers and dictionaries seem to have had no qualms over presenting their content as 'standard' and none I own refer to any regional type as their inspiration.

I prefer Skye Gaelic, actually, for irrelevant aesthetic reasons. (Easier to spell too! :P)

Actually, looking at the lyrics - the very nature of them would tend to preclude any dialectism. It's aiming for a profound lofty style, and doesn't really contain anything that you'd naturally be saying while fixing your nets on Aran Mor! If anything, it seems a little 'false' to me. But I'm not very fluent by any means. Go over to Irishnationalism forum and ask the buggers there. ;)

Standardising the language and getting people to follow it, will be one of Irish Gaelic's hardships for the future
I would say that such an approach would actually be detrimental to the language. The dialects are living natural things, deserving of tender care, not artificial disruption.

A more sensible thing would be to keep the use up as much as possible, and trying to expand the Gaeltachta. Enthusiasts could resurrect lost forms in other regions and the general Anglophone populace should continue to receive the best quality tuition in their ancestors' tongue.

FAR MORE of a problem for Irish is the rise of a new young Nigerian and Indian and you-name-it population. To think that these will have any affinity for such an unnecessary form of cultural heritage is an absurd fantasy.

Oh, and Trev, you hit the nail on the head. Welsh only LOOKS hard, Irish IS! :thumb001:

Óttar
05-15-2009, 01:30 AM

As you say, the "standard" is most likely based on 17th century orthography, I think it's about time they say to Hell with how monks wrote 400 years ago and welcome to the 21st century.. After all, every other language has changed.

Actually, looking at the lyrics - the very nature of them would tend to preclude any dialectism. It's aiming for a profound lofty style, and doesn't really contain anything that you'd naturally be saying while fixing your nets on Aran Mor! If anything, it seems a little 'false' to me.

Perhaps, but we must remember the root of the word artificial is artifice. And aren't most literary standards somewhat artificial? Courtly language is polished and refined. Most Frenchmen spoke regional variations of their language until quite recently in the scope of things. Check out the book The Story of French by Jean Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow.

I would say that such an approach would actually be detrimental to the language. The dialects are living natural things, deserving of tender care, not artificial disruption.

The King's English is also a living language, as is American Northern Standard English, and in the case of Germany, das gemeine Deutsch, in France, Parisienne I doubt you would condemn these as "artificial disruptions."

I'm also in favor of a sensible orthography.. for example, take the word Meicsiceo, the first "i" is unnecessary as is the last "e". Irish scholars give the reason for not altering the spelling as "etymological reasons." The etymology has already been recorded, let the die-hard scholars worry about that stuff.