PDA

View Full Version : I didn't do it on purpose, or did I?

HawkR
05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah, we've all heard the "I didn't do it on purpose", but is this really true. Here's an example which happened today:

My gf and a friend of her (let's call him Wo) where sitting at the sidewalk waiting for the bus, when a little birdie lands infront of 'em. Now they first try to "shoosh" it away, but no success. Then Wo picks a tiny stone and throws at it, and misses. Then he picks a bigger stone and actually hits, resulting in killing the bird. Now, was this really an accident, or not? Did he do it on purpose or can it be excused as he didn't "intend" to hit the bird?

Sol Invictus
05-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Well it wouldn't be any different if he hit a person and killed them. He killed it, knowing what would happen if he hit it, so he had the intent, but felt remorse at seeing it suffer, hense that response. Nature doesn't forget an injury, so it's bad karma on his part. :(

Vargtand
05-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah, we've all heard the "I didn't do it on purpose", but is this really true. Here's an example which happened today:

My gf and a friend of her (let's call him Wo) where sitting at the sidewalk waiting for the bus, when a little birdie lands infront of 'em. Now they first try to "shoosh" it away, but no success. Then Wo picks a tiny stone and throws at it, and misses. Then he picks a bigger stone and actually hits, resulting in killing the bird. Now, was this really an accident, or not? Did he do it on purpose or can it be excused as he didn't "intend" to hit the bird?

Since when is it wrong to kill birds?

Sol Invictus
05-13-2009, 09:09 PM

I think killing anything is wrong if it isn't for survival. The Hindus have an interesting philosophy that in your life, if you kill something with malice and unjustly, you'll be reborn as a bird, for example, to suffer the same fate. Or maybe even be reborn as a rock, only to be thrown to the bottom of the ocean until you've learned your lesson. :D

Vargtand
05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I think killing anything is wrong if it isn't for survival. The Hindus have an interesting philosophy that in your life, if you kill something with malice and unjustly, you'll be reborn as a bird, for example, to suffer the same fate. Or maybe even be reborn as a rock, only to be thrown to the bottom of the ocean until you've learned your lesson. :D

Good thing I am not a Hindu then :P

Sol Invictus
05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Good thing I am not a Hindu then :P

Ah yes but you still have your Uršr , Veršandi and Skuld to worry about. ;)

“Cursed are we, brother,
your killer I've become,
it will never be forgotten--
grim is the doom of norns.”
- Hervarar saga

Vargtand
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Ah yes but you still have your Uršr , Veršandi and Skuld to worry about. ;)

“Cursed are we, brother,
your killer I've become,
it will never be forgotten--
grim is the doom of norns.”
- Hervarar saga

I don't think that they meant animals... but alas I don't call my self Varg for no reason ;)

Vulpix
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Let's put it this way: while he might not have wanted to kill the bird, by throwing rocks he (I am assuming he isn't a retard) implicitly accepted it could have been the result.

Why :(? The poor bird.

PS: Since when are rocks being born :D?

Lulletje Rozewater
05-14-2009, 06:37 AM

Life is a step from Nature toward Infinite.
So it is better to have 1 life bird in the hand than 10 death ones in your frying pan killed wantonly

Alison
05-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I dunno, Boerseun. I'm quite hungry right now. :D

Psychonaut
05-14-2009, 07:51 AM
If we (as I suppose you're wanting to do) extrapolate a general rule from this specific case; we'd ask: is it the intent behind or the result of your actions that is the benchmark by which they are judged? Personally, I don't think it's an either/or proposition at all, but is a both/and, with the weight being on the latter. While our intentions are important and do matter, "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions." Regardless of whether or not you 'meant well' in doing something that resulted in a negative outcome, the fact remains that the outcome was negative. Physical facts, such as accidental death or injury, are not negated by good intentions, the facts remain and will so for all eternity.

Lulletje Rozewater
05-14-2009, 07:59 AM
I dunno, Boerseun. I'm quite hungry right now. :D

hahahahaha,you Celt, you

Alison
05-14-2009, 08:26 AM
;)