PDA

View Full Version : How does Gheg Albanian sound to you

Ushtari
03-11-2012, 07:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7gYo5NXIYo

Rastko
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Like a mix between Turkish and Romanian.
Even tough it's not Latin influenced it does sound a little(maybe because of the exorcist voice :D )

The Lawspeaker
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
It sounds a mix between a Slavic language, Romanian and Turkish to my uneducated ears but I can see the words which show me that it's a completely different language.

Ushtari
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Like a mix between Turkish and Romanian.
Even tough it's not Latin influenced it does sound a little(maybe because of the exorcist voice :D )
it is very latin influenced:P

Rastko
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
it is very latin influenced:P

Oh,in school we learned Albanian as ''Other or Unknown'' origin so I didn't know.That explains a lot.

Ushtari
03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh,in school we learned Albanian as ''Other or Unknown'' origin so I didn't know.That explains a lot.
it is derived from a paleo-balkan language, but its heavy latin influenced

Hess
03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
It doesn't sound very Turkish to me, more like Romanian.

I think it's an attractive language :thumb001:

Flintlocke
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
This is the Shkodra dialect, a very clean and complete version of Alb which was also official before 1945. You should hear some guys from Kuksi or Tropoja, ;)

Rastko
03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
I know only one word:flutra (butterfly) :)

mihaitzateo
03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
It does not sounds at all turkish to me.
Maybe some words are souding a little close to south slavic,but only some words.

Hurrem sultana
03-12-2012, 07:05 PM
it sounds nice,,not too harsh.. pleasant sound

dralos
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
it's ubersprache

Insuperable
03-12-2012, 07:24 PM
it sounds enough that I would not want to be called gheg albanian speaker
I am sorry but that is my opinion

dralos
03-12-2012, 07:27 PM
it sounds enough that I would not want to be called gheg albanian speaker
I am sorry but that is my opinion
you could have made us happy but you chose to make us completely excited about you never wanting to join the uberghegs:D
thx dude

Padre Organtino
03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Where do people see Turkish influence:confused:
Sounds like Romanian with Russian obertones.

Insuperable
03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
you could have made us happy but you chose to make us completely excited about you never wanting to join the uberghegs:D
thx dude

you are welcome;)

anyway its only language:rolleyes:

Sturmgewehr
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Where do people see Turkish influence:confused:

Sounds something like Latin - Slavic

Dont feel the turkish at all.

dralos
03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
it doesn't sound atall russian,turkish
romanian is possible since we share like 300words
but for the most part it's just typical balkanic

Arrow Cross
03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't think it resembles Romanian or Turkish at all (even though the former does originate from the eastern Adriatic coast) and it doesn't have enough "ć"s to sound Serbo-Croat.

Easily recognizable as Albanian, but mind you, the reader must be a rather high-profile actor, or writer. Impressive voice.

Prengs
03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Most people say gheg Albanian sounds like French to them. :)

Yes sound also like Portugese.

Absinthe
03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I get a very strong Russian vibe from that excerpt.... all the other guesses, Romanian/Latin, Slavic, and I don't know what else...are plausible.... it has an interesting sound but I guess it owes to the narrator's voice as well...

Is Gheg Albanian different to standard Albanian?

dralos
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
I get a very strong Russian vibe from that excerpt.... all the other guesses, Romanian/Latin, Slavic, and I don't know what else...are plausible.... it has an interesting sound but I guess it owes to the narrator's voice as well...

standard albanian is based on tosk

Absinthe
03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
standard albanian is based on tosk
So how different are they?

dralos
03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
i think tosk is kinda smoothier and has more foreign input while gheg is kinda more isolated and more original to illyrian,can be wrong here

Panopticon
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't think it resembles Romanian or Turkish at all (even though the former does originate from the eastern Adriatic coast) and it doesn't have enough "ć"s to sound Serbo-Croat.

Easily recognizable as Albanian, but mind you, the reader must be a rather high-profile actor, or writer. Impressive voice.

The reader is a recognized Albanian actor: Reshat Arbana. He worked as an actor at the national theatre. Very impressive voice indeed, there's something very moving about it and it fits perfectly.

Standard Albanian is more based on the Tosk dialect than Gheg. Standard Albanian is different from either Tosk and Gheg though.

Geronimo
03-12-2012, 08:04 PM
It's a very unique language but one can sense the slavic/latin influence. Doesn't sound turkish to my ears.

Absinthe
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Can someone also post examples of Tosk language?

Are Tosk and Gheg very different dialects and how so? Do you have problems understanding each other? I'm curious :P

Flintlocke
03-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Tosk is very rhythmic and "heavy" words are spoken correctly and fully

Gheg is more melodic, vowels and consonants are cut some words are even different. Many vowels are long drawn in a hillbilly american way.

mxZMVd0bQk0

Skinny guy speaks Tosk, fat guy speaks Tirana Gheg.

The Ripper
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
S7gYo5NXIYo

Sounds like Gheggamoja.

Adrian
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Can someone also post examples of Tosk language?

Are Tosk and Gheg very different dialects and how so? Do you have problems understanding each other? I'm curious :P

No. Difference does not go up to that level :)

Difference is more pronounced in Grammar. The difference is more pronounced in suffixes.

Absinthe
03-12-2012, 08:17 PM
No. Difference does not go up to that level :)

Difference is more pronounced in Grammar. The difference is more pronounced in suffixes.
So it's like, e.g. Bokmål and Nynorsk? :p

Ushtari
03-12-2012, 08:18 PM
This Gheg example is spoken in northern albania and montenegro, while the gheg spoken in Kosovo is a bit different.

The difference between Kosovo albanian and the one spoken in southern albania is like Swedish vs Norweigan

Absinthe
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
The difference between Kosovo albanian and the one spoken in southern albania is like Swedish vs Norweigan

Alright! :thumb001:

Kanuni
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
This Gheg example is spoken in northern albania and montenegro, while the gheg spoken in Kosovo is a bit different.

There is regional differences, even FYROM Albanians sound a bit different from Kosovars especially those from Gjakova.

dralos
03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
There is regional differences, even FYROM Albanians sound a bit different from Kosovars especially those from Gjakova.
gjakova dialect rocks

Adrian
03-12-2012, 08:27 PM
So it's like, e.g. Bokmål and Nynorsk? :p

There are similarities, but we do not treat it in that way (problematic) the issue of dialects. We consider them like national wealth.
Standardisation has received more from Tosk dialect but has not ruled Gheg dialect.

Panopticon
03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
The biggest differences between Tosk and Gheg is that Tosk there was a rhotacism in Tosk and some grammatical features such as the lack of an infinitive in Tosk.

An example of the aforementioned rhotacism, the first being Gheg and the second Tosk: mëni->mëri (meaning wrath, anger). In Gheg there's the infinitive such as 'me punue' (to work) - Tosk lacks that, instead it uses finitives.

This site (http://www.albanianlanguage.net/dialects/BG-TK-UA/index.html) has some general information on the Albanian language, and there's a lot of recordings to listen to there - including Arbëreshë, Arvanite, Ukranian Albanians, Arbanasi (from Croatia), Bulgaria and Turkey. Additional information on Albanian grammar (http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/albol-3-X.html).

Ar-Man
03-14-2012, 03:14 PM
It doesn't sound Turkish at all ! Clear your ears people !
It sounds unique, the sounds are close to Serbian & Greek, and maybe a little bit Ossetian.

Hurrem sultana
03-14-2012, 03:16 PM

really?

Ushtari
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
really?
Yes

Hurrem sultana
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes

det är ju lite som 2 olika språk då

dralos
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
really?
bosnian why are you so interested in the albanian,do you want to learn it,or do you have some connection with albanians(outside of 'friends'),or are you trying to create a division between us alboz like there is a division between you yugoz:D

Ushtari
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
det är ju lite som 2 olika språk då
Typ ja

tex, en 5åring från kosovo förstår inte en 5 åring från Saranda.

till och med albanska ungdomar i sverige från kosovo har problem med att förstå albaner från södra albaner. Dom har annan melodi när dom pratar, uttalar orden oftast annorlunda samt använder en massa ord som vi inte använder och vice versa.

fast jag anser det inte som två olika språk då man förstår varandra, precis som svenskar och norrmän förstår varandra.

iNird
03-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Even the regional differences from the same country are vast. Albanians from Shkup sometimes have trouble understanding Albanians from Tetova (you would know more about this), and these two cities are only an hour away or so by car. My significant other is a tosk from FYROM and I have trouble sometimes understanding her grandma, and our two cities are only a couple hours away with a car.

Flintlocke
03-14-2012, 07:06 PM
My significant other is a tosk from FYROM...

So your girl is ubermensch :cool:

bluesky
03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
sounds like slavic + celtic + romanian

Drawing-slim
03-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Can someone put the tittles of the videos as is on youtube pls?
Or just put the links since i cant directly watch the videos from my phone.

I speak with shkodran dialect and i was curious who is representing the gheg dialect.

Ushtari
03-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Can someone put the tittles of the videos as is on youtube pls?
Or just put the links since i cant directly watch the videos from my phone.

I speak with shkodran dialect and i was curious who is representing the gheg dialect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7gYo5NXIYo

Drawing-slim
03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
He speaks a very old shokdran/malsor dialect wich is cool.
But today shodra dialect deffers a little from this one and sounds better, imo.

Azalea
03-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I've heard Albanian many times before so whenever I hear Albanian now, it sounds 'just Albanian' to me. I've also noticed that there are different Albanian dialects. Some Albanians pronounce the 'R' in a different way. I find those Albanian dialects more easy to recognize as 'Albanian'.

Styggnacke
03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
It sounds a little bit like Italian, methinks. What is he talking about?

Flintlocke
03-18-2012, 07:42 PM
It's an old patriotic poem. Which of course is spoken in a very theatrical fashion. I'd say up to 40% of the Albanian language is Latin based.

HamshenaHay
03-23-2012, 04:37 PM
No it doesn't sound Turkish at all. it sounds more like Gaelic with Slavic. and for some reason it also reminds me of Adigabza (Adigey langauge).

thats one aweosme language :cool:

5CA4tQiyuKg

aherne
03-27-2012, 04:56 AM
Resembles no other language, as expected...

Dilberth
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM

This

brunette
03-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Albanian Gheg sounds Dinaric to me.

Ushtari
03-28-2012, 09:12 PM
lol best comment :D

brunette
03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah bro, high five! :D

Europa
03-28-2012, 09:20 PM

:lol00002:

brunette
03-28-2012, 09:28 PM
:lol00002:

:thumb001:

Linet
06-23-2012, 01:31 PM
First explain me why at first i see Greek areas into the Albanian map :icon_arghhh:...and then i ll see the video...:eyes:

Ushtari
06-23-2012, 01:32 PM
First explain me why at first i see Greek areas into the Albanian map :icon_arghhh:...and then i ll see the video...:eyes:
dont be such a bitch now

Sultan Suleiman
06-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Sounds like some chant from a Conan movie :D

Pretty bad ass :thumb001:

dralos
06-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Sounds like some chant from a Conan movie :D

Pretty bad ass :thumb001:
you're pretty good for a slav:D

Methmatician
06-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Mix between Romanian (mostly), Italian (little bit) and Slavic.

rashka
06-27-2012, 04:05 AM
for some reason it also reminds me of Adigabza (Adigey langauge).

It sounds what is sounds, basically a Caucasid language with Indo-European and Turkic influences.

There are some similar sounds, like the R and the SH that Albanian shares with Caucasid languages such as in this Udi video.

JYzGxFCwK4U

dralos
06-27-2012, 08:43 AM
It sounds what is sounds, basically a Caucasid language with Indo-European and Turkic influences.

There are some similar sounds, like the R and the SH that Albanian shares with Caucasid languages such as in this Udi video.

JYzGxFCwK4U
finbau doesnt agree with you:D

Drawing-slim
06-27-2012, 08:50 AM
This is the Shkodra dialect, a very clean and complete version of Alb which was also official before 1945. You should hear some guys from Kuksi or Tropoja, ;)

It must be true our dialect is somewhere in the middle original albanian..
Because i woul finded so easy talking with you and safinater and just as easy with rron or ushtari of kosova dialect or any macedonian albanian or kuksian tropojan.

dralos
06-27-2012, 08:52 AM
It must be true our dialect is somewhere in the middle original albanian..
Because i woul finded so easy to comunicating talking with you and safinater and just as easy with rron or ushtari of kosova dialect or any macedonian albanian or kuksian tropojan.
drawing,i've heard that shkodran dialect is very close with gjakovarqe,is this true?

Drawing-slim
06-27-2012, 08:58 AM
drawing,i've heard that shkodran dialect is very close with gjakovarqe,is this true?

Its more i think around dukagjini area that could relate to gjakove. But im not sure since i havnt met many gjakovars.
from hoti koplik bajze alway to berdice bushat zuse velipoje and dhe city of shkodra this area has e very disntinctive shkodran dialect, unilke anywhere i think.

Il Principe
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I agree with those who said it has a similar cadence to ceremonial Latin, while also having a vague "Turk vibe" to it.

As a whole, it basically sounds like a gruff Indo-European tribal language in my ears - which is what it is.

kosovogirl
12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
It depend on what Gheg region you are in, the ones in Gjakova and Prizren have a more soft melodic accent, but in north kosovo the accent sounds some what Russian like... Especially in Prishtina. but in most kosovo places where ever you go it sounds more Romanian like.

In Suhrek they say Shka instead of Qka which means what.

Ianus
09-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Sound a mix of Slavic and Greek

Roy
09-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Somewhat Slavic sounding.

Empecinado
09-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Like a sort of Slavic with Romanian/Latin accent.

BTW it is true that in Albanian (don't remember if Tosk or Gheg) Katalan means a one-eyed monster?

Skerdilaid
09-29-2013, 05:58 AM

BTW it is true that in Albanian (don't remember if Tosk or Gheg) Katalan means a one-eyed monster?

I never heard that, but in Albanian we use Baljoz for the one eyed monster.

Alboz
09-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Gheg is divided into four sub-dialects: Northwest Gheg, Northeast Gheg, Central Gheg, and Southern Gheg.

Northwest Gheg is spoken throughout Montenegro, northwestern Kosovo (west of Pej), Lezhë, northwestern Mirditë, Pukë, and Shkodër.

Northeast Gheg is spoken throughout most of Kosovo, Presheve, Has, northeastern Mirditë, Kukës, Tropojë, and northern Tetovo.

Central Gheg is spoken in Debar, Gostivar, Krujë, Peshkopi, southern Mirditë, Mat, eastern Struga, and southern Tetovo.

Southern Gheg is spoken in Durrës, northern Elbasan, northern Peqin, Kavajë, northwest Struga, and Tirana.

Northwest Gheg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBVPYvx3iJA

Northeast Gheg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcmaAb1rVIk

Central Gheg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcxRIr1sYfY

Southern Gheg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_pX5gUVRXo

kvarc
10-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Somewhat Slavic sounding.

:mmmm::mmmm: what a huge blasphemy from a Slavic brother :cry2 :rolleyes:

Grafbob
10-04-2013, 12:12 AM
It must have some Turkish words. I'm pretty sure every Balkan language, even Greek, contains at least a few Turkish words.

Grafbob
10-04-2013, 12:25 AM
At one time, I and my Macedonian friends used to use the few bits of Albanian we knew just to fool everyone else. The problem was we had learnt our few phrases from one friend who had an Albanian father and Macedonian mother, but had spoken Greek most of his life, and from another friend who was really Vlah, but came from southern Albania. I just checked "How are you?" with Google translate and it tells me "Si jeni?". We used to say "Si veti?". One day, at the Hellenic Club, my friends were all playing cards and my Vlah friend steered me to a table with a couple of guys and we went through the "Mirë" routine and then I discovered to my embarrassment that they were real Albanians. They thought it was a huge joke.

Pjeter Pan
10-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Shkodran is da best

Deimos
11-13-2013, 11:28 PM

Actually you're quite right.
There's an old story (which is to long to tell) which involves a huge one eyed man named Katallan.
As a matter of fact, in my family, we refer to tall and heavy built men as "katallan". :)

Alboz
04-08-2017, 02:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMArNYvxi48

wvwvw
04-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Like a mix of Romanian and Turkish

Kelmendasi
04-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Like a mix of Romanian and Turkish
I get the Romanian part but not the Turkish part.

aherne
04-12-2017, 05:11 AM
I know only one word:flutra (butterfly) :)

"Fluture" in Romanian

Dick
04-12-2017, 05:25 AM
"Fluture" in Romanian

flut·ter
verb
gerund or present participle: fluttering
(of a bird or other winged creature) fly unsteadily or hover by flapping the wings quickly and lightly.
"a couple of butterflies fluttered around the garden"
synonyms: flit, hover, flitter, dance
"butterflies fluttered around"

aherne
04-12-2017, 06:42 PM
The language is related to (if not descending from) substrate language behind Romanian. Hence similar morphology and many words shared only between the two (eg: Fluture).