PDA

View Full Version : Words or phrases that grind your gears.

Teyrn
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I'll start:

Democracy.
Equality.
"Hope and change."
Hollywood.
Anti-semitism.
Rap music.

Queen B
03-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Anti-semitism.

That.

Amapola
03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
White.
Non-European admixture.

The Ripper
03-12-2012, 03:24 PM
When Finns say "Dameissa" instead of "Damissa" and "Dameihin" instead of "Damiin" when meaning "In/To Amsterdam"! WHY THE REDUNDANT PLURAL FORM!?

Also, it annoys the hell out of me how some people here pronounce "Q" as a "goo". WHAT!?!?!

Actually, most things people say are bound to annoy me one way or the other. I'm a very irritable person. :D

Sikeliot
03-12-2012, 03:24 PM
"Racist" or "racism" considering nowadays someone can call you racist for even noticing that someone is a different race then you, as if it is possible NOT to notice..

Words I hate;

- literally, when it is used to mean something that is not literal, i.e. "smoke was literally coming out of his ears he was so angry"
- "legit" when used for emphasis

Phrases I hate;

"That awkward moment when..." followed by something awkward. It's not a proper sentence and sounds cliche and stupid.

Barreldriver
03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Words that grind me gears eh?

Reconstruction
Yankee
Telephone
Laundry
Defecate (say poop or shit people!) :D

Falkata
03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
"fascism"

Everybody is a fascist nowadays. From G.W. Bush to ETA terrorists

Teyrn
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
"On the go." (Cliched phrase)

Biblical morality. (Oxymoronic)

Question that grinds my gears:

"If humans evolved from apes, why do apes exist today?" (Stupid understanding of human evolution)

Waidewut
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Generally I don't like the foreign words Latvians are using in their normal, Latvian, speech.
From English the most popular are: fuck and sorry.
From Russian there are long lists of mostly curse words, because Latvian language isn't considered so "colourful".
Most probably I would myself shout "bitch" in Russian if I accidentally injured myself or screwed up badly :(

Grumpy Cat
03-12-2012, 03:57 PM
irregardless
at best

Sikeliot
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Here's another; "homewrecker". You can't steal someone from someone who is already taken if they do not want to be taken, so the only "home wrecker" in reality is the one who willingly leaves, not the one who "steals" someone away.