PDA

View Full Version : Identity problems.

Waidewut
03-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Who do you think you are
RIGA – Do you know who you are as a person? Do you know who you are as a nation?

These are important questions to consider when talking about a society in transition. Unlike Estonians, Latvians don’t consider themselves Nordic or Scandinavian. Unlike Lithuanians, Latvians don’t consider themselves drawn into Central Europe. Unlike both of them together, Latvian national identity is rather weak.

So for almost 18 years of the renewed independence, Latvians have been wrestling with it.

The national identity dictates everything. It offers you confidence in knowing your strengths and weaknesses as a nation. It builds up a healthy sense of pride in your country. It tells you what kind of social structure your country’s government would have. It tells you what kind of form of government, what rights you would have. It solves many societal problems with a simple answer. Once we know who we are, we’ll know how to solve our problems.

A long line of pensioners stood outside one office in the Old Town earlier this month. They waited to sign a petition to raise pensions to the level of the living wages. The efforts led by the fallen People’s Party angel now independent MP Aivars Stokenbergs are populist at the first glance. However, Stokenbergs had advocated building in Latvia a Nordic system of values – creating a softer social pillow in case one should retire or have children. Collecting signatures sounds like a logical first step.

His signature drive thwarted into the spotlight the problem of pensioners. With the rising inflation (January’s indicator was at 15.8 per cent, the highest in the EU) and even faster rising food prices (also the fastest in the EU), the call for the Scandinavian values will surely find a listener. A young mother friend of mine says she gets 30 Ls ($65) a month to clothe, feed, and take care of her almost one-year-old daughter. She would love to take care of her child without worrying about the next paycheck.

And because more people die in Latvia than are born, the government ought to have an inherent interest in supporting a difficult job of raising a child. The slumping demographics also will put pressure on the pension system where the working generation supports the retired generation. Soon you just won’t have enough employed people support a larger number of retirees.

In short, the system is about to crack.

The government opposes the collection of signatures, dubs it populist and useless. Latvian Prime Minister Ivars Godmanis promised to raise pensions at least three times this year, otherwise it would strain the budget.

But the problem goes beyond pensions. It goes into the heart of the Latvian way of life. Latvia does not have a role model it wants to follow. It cannot decide whether it’s a Scandinavian country, a European country or a province of Russia. Consequently, it cannot decide if it wants the Nordic social model, a continental European model, or a Russian model.

And at times it feels like Latvians are hoping for the Russian model. They’re hoping for the benevolent dictator to come as a savior on the white horse and solve all social ills. He will be saimnieks of this country. He will own it and will be responsible for it. He will get stuff done and no one will go hungry again. The mayor of Ventspils is such a role model and part of Latvian national identity.

But we really don’t know who we are. We are only now considering a Nordic model for our government at the time when Estonia leaped light years ahead of us in its standard of living that now some Latvians move to Estonia to work while we’re debating the past.

http://allaboutlatvia.com/article/594/who-do-you-think-you-are/

This blog inspired me to approve the fact there is no real international identity for Latvia to be part of.
In reality there are more then one possible role-models/identities for us, though there is no consensus in which Latvia should be part of.

Traditionally it's the religious confession that determines who are your pals and to which group does your nation belong to. But Latvia is an interesting case in this matter, due to the fact Latvians are historically split Lutheran/Catholic and Orthodox Christianity has been a native religious confession here since the 17th century, not to mention the increase of the believes due to Soviet immigration.
Latvia is unique in the whole world in this matter. There isn't a country in Europe where Protestants, Catholics and Russian Orthodox people live together in rather equal numbers, in their native habitat and the fact Latvia isn't a huge country like Germany or Russia, but has such cultural variety, makes thing even more interesting.
We are all and nothing, in this case.

Due to the fact we are so small, being part of a group we have determined ourselves is vital, because if we weren't, we might as well disappear between the dominating cultures of the world or the region.

EWtt
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I was thinking that because you aren't pulled towards the Nordic countries like Estonia, or Central Europe like Lithuania, the Latvians would be the strongest supporters of the whole Baltic unity thing due to their central position in the concept, hence sort of being an intermediate between us wannabe Nordics and those wannabe Central Europeans.

I have heard that Latvia has some tendencies to lean towards Russia, but I wouldn't go down that path.

We're not a 100% Nordic-dominated market, either. Germany ranks high among our trade partners, for instance. Pre-war Estonia was also quite oriented towards the UK and Germany.

All in all, you should take advantage of your position as it is, get your economy in order and become lucrative to all parties present in the identity debate. Then, given your geographical position, you could be grabbing the investors away from both Eesti and Lietuva. Then comes the increase in the standard of living. We made it to where we are by making it very easy to do business here, low taxation, fighting corruption, etc. "Swedes and Finns pouring us money" didn't come out of the sky, like I've unfortunately seen some Latvians think.

The Ripper
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
I was thinking that because you aren't pulled towards the Nordic countries like Estonia, or Central Europe like Lithuania, the Latvians would be the strongest supporters of the whole Baltic unity thing due to their central position in the concept, hence sort of being an intermediate between us wannabe Nordics and those wannabe Central Europeans.

Hasn't this been the case historically as well? I'm thinking interwar years.

Waidewut
03-13-2012, 02:42 PM

I have heard that Latvia has some tendencies to lean towards Russia, but I wouldn't go down that path.

We're not a 100% Nordic-dominated market, either. Germany ranks high among our trade partners, for instance. Pre-war Estonia was also quite oriented towards the UK and Germany.

All in all, you should take advantage of your position as it is, get your economy in order and become lucrative to all parties present in the identity debate. Then, given your geographical position, you could be grabbing the investors away from both Eesti and Lietuva. Then comes the increase in the standard of living. We made it to where we are by making it very easy to do business here, low taxation, fighting corruption, etc. "Swedes and Finns pouring us money" didn't come out of the sky, like I've unfortunately seen some Latvians think.

We invented the term "Baltic Switzerland" and actively tried to become one before the crisis of 2008. Meaning a becoming middlemen between EU and Russia, and getting big profit from this.
I believe Estonia banned Russians from investing in the first years of independence, thus giving more opportunities to Swedes, Finns, etc...
Latvia didn't do so and as being a middleman welcomed Russian businessmen here. And with them came the ex-USSR/Russian business etiquette, which is something alien to EU investors.
I think that Latvians have historically integrated better in the Soviet style economy or way of thinking, than Estonians or Lithuanians. This is logical, as the Soviet Union thought it would be far more constructive to start Sovietizing the middle of once capitalistic Pribaltica.

Hasn't this been the case historically as well? I'm thinking interwar years.
Cooperation was rather weak, especially during the years of 1934-1940.
Our leader Ulmanis didn't even make a foreign visit at all, not to any foreign country. Latvia was kind of internationally cutting off.
Lithuania had a different viewpoint on who is it's enemies, than Latvia and Estonia, thus Latvia being the centre of the Baltics wasn't really the case anymore.

Smaland
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Based on what I have read, it seems as though many Latvians see Germany in something of a positive light. If this is so, perhaps Latvian law could be changed to make it worthwhile for German investors to build factories and start other businesses in Latvia.

This may not build national identity, but at least it would help the Latvian economy.