PDA

View Full Version : Italian language; closer in sound to Romanian or Portuguese (from Portugal)?

Sikeliot
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Same question but replacing Spanish with Italian.

Harmonia
03-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Italian sounds closer to Romanian, imo.

Sikeliot
03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
I think that due to the connotation of Spain and Portugal as twin siblings, it is easier to put Italian closer to Romanian than it would be to associate Spanish with Romanian.

Peyrol
03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
For me, in the grammar is more close to portuguese, because psoken romanian sounds very slavized.

In a absolute comparison, with romanian.

Aivap
03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I can't believe that 6 persons have voted Romania.
Italian sounds completly different than Romanian, nobody in Italy can understand a single word of Romanian, while most Italians can understand Portuguese if spoken slowly.
Anyway they both sounds different than Italian, and Romanians to our ears sounds like Russian!

Peyrol
03-13-2012, 07:15 PM
I can't believe that 6 persons have voted Romania.
Italian sounds completly different than Romanian, nobody in Italy can understand a single word of Romanian, while most Italians can understand Portuguese if spoken slowly.
Anyway they both sounds different than Italian, and Romanians to our ears sounds like Russian!

Spoken romanian sounds totally slavic.

But no one of the voter's nation has about 2 million romanian/moldovan immigrants, so they probabily base the comparison on written languages :laugh:

Aramis
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Spoken romanian sounds totally slavic.

But no one of the voter's nation has about 2 million romanian/moldovan immigrants, so they probabily base the comparison on written languages :laugh:

Depends on the perspective. My native tounge is a slavic one, and romanian doesn't sound slavic to me at all (nor to any other slavic speaker I've asked).

Peyrol
03-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Depends on the perspective. My native tounge is a slavic one, and romanian doesn't sound slavic to me at all (nor to any other slavic speaker I've asked).

For me (and for 90% of italian people) sounds totally alien, i can't understand a single word of spoken romanian.

Written one it's quite easy, on the other side.

Geronimo
03-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Well, it's pretty much like this : to slavs romanian sounds like italian, to italians (and other latins except romanians) romanian sounds slavic, or slavic influenced.

The truth is that romanian is close to italian despite its slavic influence.

Aivap
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
I' ve already watched some Romanian videos on youtube, you are right, it sounds a bit like Italian. I didn't think that I could undertand it, though it still sounds more like slavic languages to me.

Italian
mHernWT_trg

Romanian
gfuq3HfoGUU

Geronimo
03-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Italian
mHernWT_trg

from 0.50

we'll return now to Europe where we'll use the satellite, the presence of high pressure with maximums in the Baltic sea has determined a stable and very arid weather in the north-east sector of our continent, in northern Norway the humid atlantic currents have been the cause for short ... something I did not understood :D

by the way I dont speak italian ...

Comte Arnau
03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
^ Italian is soo easily understandable it's not even funny! :D

Arthur Scharrenhans
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
The vowel system is a bit closer to Portuguese; the consonantal one, maybe a bit closer to Romanian.
The lexical and morphological structures are still much closer to Portuguese than to Romanian, however, and when you compare actual speech (as opposed to abstract phonetic/phonological systems) this counts.

The question is harder than with Spanish; as a native Italian speaker, both Romanian and European Portuguese are not so easy to understand for me, even though Portuguese is probably for the abovementioned reason: once I get past phonetics, I can actually recognize lexemes and morphemes similar to the ones of Italian.

But in this case I'll remain agnostic.