PDA

View Full Version : Travel tips in Florida

Jerry
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Hey,

I'm going to Florida with my brother and a friend for 3 weeks. I've never been to States so it's quite a paradoxical situation; i've lived my whole life with American TV series etc. and know everything from the pop culture / language but haven't seen the real thing. We are staying in Lake Worth because my grandfather bought a condo with his brother from there in the 60's, I've never been there but at least it's free accommodation.

We are doing at least: A Nassau cruise on Carnival cruises, Key West, NHL & NBA game, Univ. Studios Islands of Adventure, Wet'n Wild.

Does somebody have ideas of more activities? Any absolute do's or dont's? How is the nightlife in West Palm Beach?

I appreciate a lot any post to help :) Cheers

GeistFaust
03-13-2012, 09:51 PM
I know this area quite well, since I have visited it often. I would suggest you get to all those things, and don't forget about Key Largo as well. There is not much on the West coast unless you want to go to Sanibel Island or Clearwater/Tampa area. There are some nice beaches over there with crystral clear water, and there is a huge club strip in Tampa.

In Miami, Mansions is the big hit in terms of clubs. I think West Palm Beach has some interesting venues, but I would be careful about visiting the Northern part, which is crime riddled. There are a lot of decent golf course in the region, and I think you should try to hit up Fort Lauderdale, which is just up the coast from Miami.

I personally partied and did some clubbing on the Western side of Florida, but never on the Eastern side, and in the Orlando/Kissimmee area there are a lot of fun things to see and do. There are some fun things to do further up the coast, practically all the way up the Myrtle Beach/Charleston area.

Supreme American
03-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Im going down to the Tampa area for several days in June. Been there before. The Florida Aquarium is in the Channelside district of downtown Tampa. I went there once, its only drawback is field trips full of loud kids. Go in the afternoon after the kids leave and you have the place to yourself. They have a lot of dolphin watch cruise boats you can take, I took a couple, one in Boca Ciega Bay by Madeira Beach and the other on Tampa Bay.

I'm also going to try to head back to Egmont Key if the seas aren't too rough for the ferries.

Scrapple
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Florida is a very big state so it takes awhile to drive places so if you want to go to Walt Disney World or down to Key West get a hotel/motel room or camp as it take awhile to get there from where you are so consider travel time to and from there, in addition to how long you want to visit the attractions.

Since you are right near by you should visit Everglades National Park.

Most important since you are a Finn bring lots of sunscreen and apply regularly and wear hats the sun is very strong down there, Carribean strong.

When you get sunburned buy this http://www.walgreens.com/q/aloe-vera-gel it works wonders.

Lastly you will be in America so go shoot some guns! http://www.muck-boy.com/Shooting%20Ranges/Muckboy%20Florida%20Shooting%20Range%20Page.htm

Supreme American
03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Since you are right near by you should visit Everglades National Park.

The airboat rides are interesting and you can see gator eyeballs looking at you, but overall it's really just endless swamp. Not a ton to see.

Most important since you are a Finn bring lots of sunscreen and apply regularly and wear hats the sun is very strong down there, Carribean strong.

If you swim in the ocean, definitely put a lot of heavy protection sunscreen on. I've been HORRIBLY burned down there just from a couple hours in the water. Even my ears hurt and peeled.

When you get sunburned buy this http://www.walgreens.com/q/aloe-vera-gel it works wonders.

Solarcaine does nada. I don't know about anything else.

I also think he should try to catch a Jai Alai match.

GeistFaust
03-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Im going down to the Tampa area for several days in June. Been there before. The Florida Aquarium is in the Channelside district of downtown Tampa. I went there once, its only drawback is field trips full of loud kids. Go in the afternoon after the kids leave and you have the place to yourself. They have a lot of dolphin watch cruise boats you can take, I took a couple, one in Boca Ciega Bay by Madeira Beach and the other on Tampa Bay.

I'm also going to try to head back to Egmont Key if the seas aren't too rough for the ferries.

Busch Gardens is another interesting place to visit in Tampa if you get the chance Jerry.

Supreme American
03-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Busch Gardens is another interesting place to visit in Tampa if you get the chance Jerry.

I never bothered. I prefer the beach and nature-related stuff.

Also when you get to Florida, your hotel lobby probably has a ton of pamphlets and coupons for local attractions. Check those out.

Great Dane
03-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Avoid the ethnic neighborhoods, the black ghettos and Latino barrios. Stick to the well policed tourist zones and you will be fine.

Jerry
03-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks, good stuff guys!

@Lagergeld: What's Jai Alai exactly? I googled it and saw it's some kind of a game similar to cricket I guess but why would it be a Florida attraction?

Also about the ethnic neighborhoods, I thought it would be interesting to see the Cuban areas and eat some authentic Cuban food - maybe have some rum and stuff :) seems interesting to me, are these areas no-go too and better to stay away? I guess Little Havana is the name of the area in Miami based on googling

The Ripper
03-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Avoid the ethnic neighborhoods, the black ghettos and Latino barrios. Stick to the well policed tourist zones and you will be fine.

Sounds like a recipe for a boring trip. :D

Scrapple
03-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks, good stuff guys!

@Lagergeld: What's Jai Alai exactly? I googled it and saw it's some kind of a game similar to cricket I guess but why would it be a Florida attraction?

Also about the ethnic neighborhoods, I thought it would be interesting to see the Cuban areas and eat some authentic Cuban food - maybe have some rum and stuff :) seems interesting to me, are these areas no-go too and better to stay away? I guess Little Havana is the name of the area in Miami based on googling

You will be fine in Little Havana. Good food there.

rhiannon
03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks, good stuff guys!

My hubs used to frequent various Cuban restaurants in these sort of areas while he lived in FL. The cuban food there is apparently OUTSTANDING:)

Great Dane
03-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Also about the ethnic neighborhoods, I thought it would be interesting to see the Cuban areas and eat some authentic Cuban food - maybe have some rum and stuff :) seems interesting to me, are these areas no-go too and better to stay away? I guess Little Havana is the name of the area in Miami based on googlingIf you want Cuban food I suggest you go to Havana.

Jerry
03-15-2012, 07:31 AM
If you want Cuban food I suggest you go to Havana.

Don't be childish.There are a million interesting places to visit, but now I'm going to Florida and I can't visit them all. Miami has a big Cuabn community. The option is to see/eat nothing or see/eat something.

Incal
03-15-2012, 09:07 AM
You'll have looots of fun in KeyWest.

Jerry
04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks all for the help! We had a great holiday, and even had a nice extra day sightseeing in NYC (Hilton paid by AmericanAirlines) when our flight from Miami to NYC was delayed and missed the connection to Finland.

The formely Finnish areas of Lake Worth where we were based had become overwhelmingly Guatemalan lol but we didn't really feel unsafe and anyways spent most of our time elsewhere (Orlando,Bahamas cruise,Key West,South Beach,WPB,Ft.Lauderdale). The main street and beach of Lake Worth was quite nice though. Mansion was an awesome club (thx for the tip Geistfaust) and Little Havana didn't feel dangerous at all. Luckily we didn't get lost and drive to Opa-Locka or Liberty city...

SilverKnight
04-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks all for the help! We had a great holiday, and even had a nice extra day sightseeing in NYC (Hilton paid by AmericanAirlines) when our flight from Miami to NYC was delayed and missed the connection to Finland.

The formely Finnish areas of Lake Worth where we were based had become overwhelmingly Guatemalan lol but we didn't really feel unsafe and anyways spent most of our time elsewhere (Orlando,Bahamas cruise,Key West,South Beach,WPB,Ft.Lauderdale). The main street and beach of Lake Worth was quite nice though. Mansion was an awesome club (thx for the tip Geistfaust) and Little Havana didn't feel dangerous at all. Luckily we didn't get lost and drive to Opa-Locka or Liberty city...

I'm glad you guys had an amazing time cheers :cool:

As far as Opa-Locka it's infested with crimes, but it isn't as bad as Liberty city, anyhow I wouldn't recommend anyone going to either neighborhoods specially if you're of very light complexion.

~Elizabeth~
04-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Just a general note of caution for anyone who may be sunburned...watch out for any skin creams or gels that have carbomer in it (inactive ingredient). Some people aren't allergic to it, but I am allergic, and so may some other people but not know about it. Ironically carbomer is also in anti-itch cortico creams and Oil of Olay and a lot of other beauty/health products.
I can't use aloe vera gel if it has carbomer in it.