PDA

View Full Version : What's "northern" Europe?

riverman
03-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Choose all that apply. :thumb001:

Pellonpekko
03-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Umm, pretty crappy options on your poll, but northern Europe consists of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden.

riverman
03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Umm, pretty crappy options on your poll, but northern Europe consists of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden.

Great, you shared your opinion, now scram. :thumb001: :wink

:ranger:

Sarmatian
03-15-2012, 09:04 AM

Agree on the list of countries.

This poll's options are stupid.

riverman
03-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Agree on the list of countries.

This poll's options are stupid.

You're stupid. Are you a wannabe Slav or something? Loser?:rolleyes:

Jerry
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Hilarious poll :D
Probably one of the dumbest things I've seen this week

riverman
03-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Hilarious poll :D
Probably one of the dumbest things I've seen this week

:thumbs up

Another worthless comment. If you don't like the poll don't vote idiot, no need to contribute your own stupidity. :)

Scrapple
03-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Wow what a dumb poll but I shouldn't be surprised it is coming from an American. :ranger:

riverman
03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow what a dumb poll but I shouldn't be surprised it is coming from an American. :ranger:

[facepalm]. That's coming from an American. :icon_neutral:

:biggrin:

Aviane
03-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Norway and Iceland on average off course.

Both countries have the same elements like mostly Nordids, Borrebies, Troenders, Baltids with some levels of Brunns, Tydals and North Atlantids.

But I agree with Pellonpekko.

Pallantides
03-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Scandinavia + Finland and British isles is Northern Europe to me.

WitheredWhiteness
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Some of the countries seem to bee missing in this poll...

:confused:

morski
03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Scandinavia + Finland and British isles is Northern Europe to me.

I'd also add the Baltic states. The UN counts them as Northern as well.

Loddfafner
03-15-2012, 04:41 PM
I made a thread for discussion of the criteria for marking geographical divisions here (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=775245).

Styggnacke
03-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Lame poll.

riverman
03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Some of the countries seem to bee missing in this poll...

:confused:

duh, is stating the obvious your intellectual forte or something? Tell you what, genius, why don't you take the same concept/question and make your own poll. ;)

WitheredWhiteness
03-16-2012, 06:21 PM
duh, is stating the obvious your intellectual forte or something? Tell you what, genius, why don't you take the same concept/question and make your own poll. ;)

I think it's better to make it properly from the beginning. You made it your way, I wrote my opinion. Done.

riverman
03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I think it's better to make it properly from the beginning. You made it your way, I wrote my opinion. Done.

I think your mistaking "opinion" for 'stupid useless obvious comment'...but hey, you're entitled to your "opinion". :D

WitheredWhiteness
03-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I think your mistaking "opinion" for 'stupid useless obvious comment'...but hey, you're entitled to your "opinion". :D

that's your 'opinion', you can have your 'opinions' too... even 'opinions' on my 'opinions'... whatever :coffee:

gandalf
03-16-2012, 09:11 PM

And Bristish isles .

The Ripper
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Here's one idea (for a cultural definition)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Protestant_Reformed_Confessions_in_Europe.png/618px-Protestant_Reformed_Confessions_in_Europe.png

Although I don't quite see the British Isles as Northern-proper, they're something of their own, with northern influence. Naturally, the protestant minorities further south do not count. I'd also be inclined to include the whole coast-line of the Baltic Sea. :D

GeistFaust
03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I usually divide Northern Europe up within certain regions that border the rim of the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. I think the British Isles, Scandinavia, and Finland generally fit into this framework of Northern Europe. You could fit Iceland into the periphery, which would create a third region in my Northern European framework, that is an area on the rim of the North Atlantic.

I think if one were to define this area as a part of Northern Europe that we risk broadening or generalizing the region of Northern Europe too much. I think that this raises an interesting question as to what defines Northern Europe in general, other then for the standard definition, and how do we define it?

I think Central/Northern Germany, the Baltic States, and even Beneleux are notable to mention in the context of Northern Europe. When I think of Northern Europe I stereotypically think of the British Isles and Scandinavia as being the two big regions.

Europa
03-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Yet another retarded thread....

riverman
03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
I usually divide Northern Europe up within certain regions that border the rim of the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. I think the British Isles, Scandinavia, and Finland generally fit into this framework of Northern Europe. You could fit Iceland into the periphery, which would create a third region in my Northern European framework, that is an area on the rim of the North Atlantic.

I think if one were to define this area as a part of Northern Europe that we risk broadening or generalizing the region of Northern Europe too much. I think that this raises an interesting question as to what defines Northern Europe in general, other then for the standard definition, and how do we define it?

I think of the Netherlands and northern Germany as more "northern" than England. Geographically Scotland is northern though, of course.

Äike
03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Northern-Europe = Scandinavia, Latvia(partially), Finland, Estonia and Iceland.

mihaitzateo
03-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Here's one idea (for a cultural definition)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Protestant_Reformed_Confessions_in_Europe.png/618px-Protestant_Reformed_Confessions_in_Europe.png

Although I don't quite see the British Isles as Northern-proper, they're something of their own, with northern influence. Naturally, the protestant minorities further south do not count. I'd also be inclined to include the whole coast-line of the Baltic Sea. :D

I do not understand that map.
Violet means for u north Europe,what about blue and red?
Lol.

Albion
03-23-2012, 01:47 AM
I do not understand that map.
Violet means for u north Europe,what about blue and red?
Lol.

Violet: Lutheran Protestant
Blue: Calvinist / Presbyterian Protestant
Red: Anglican Protestant

I think of the Netherlands and northern Germany as more "northern" than England. Geographically Scotland is northern though, of course.

How does that work? England extends further north than either the Netherlands or Germany.

Anyway, Nordic Karl brought this up before and I concluded that the British Isles were NW European. Scandinavia and the British Isles form their own regions.
The British Isles don't have much to do with Scandinavia, they're more politically, economically and culturally linked to Western Europe these days - France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany.

From a geographical point of view, the British Isles are further north than most of Western Europe, but they're really more at the southern end at what can be defined as "northern" if that makes any sense.

riverman
03-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Well, some interesting ideas.

:ranger:

ficuscarica
03-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Hm, I suggest the German North Sea Coast, the Baltic Area, Scandinavia and Scotland.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I have never ever even thought about calling Britain Northern Europe...

Mordid
03-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Definitively not Estonia. They are basically Russians/Eastern Europeans who are just culturally Nordic and speaks Finnic language.

riverman
03-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Definitively not Estonia. They are basically Russians/Eastern Europeans who are just culturally Nordic and speaks Finnic language.

i agree. I consider Scandinavia, Russia, northern Germany, the Netherlands, and scotland to be northern Europe, but the Balts want to be central Europe, so they can't really be both...:coffee:

ficuscarica
03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Not Britain, but Scotland definitely is rather North European... just look at the landscape, plus it´s about as far north as Denmark.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 10:21 AM

Actually you are wrong and delusional.

In reality Estonia is the only North European country.
Scandinavia and such are just wannabes and try-hards.

Mordid
03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Actually you are wrong and delusional.

Actually, I'm right and I am not psychoneurotic. Hard to accept the fact, eh? Go cry out to your mommy.

In reality Estonia is the only North European country.
Scandinavia and such are just wannabes and try-hards.
Talvi, Talvi, stop living in fantasy-land. Estonia is not Northern Europe and never will be. Eastern Europe for me: Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belarus, former Yugoslavia countries, Finland, (Slavic Countries except for Finland which is an Uralic/Mongoloidish country but has good relations with Russia).

Albion
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Not Britain, but Scotland definitely is rather North European... just look at the landscape, plus it´s about as far north as Denmark.

Yeah, the highlands look a bit like areas of Norway.

In my opinion the landscapes of Britain match up to a few areas-

Pennines, Southern Uplands, Cambrians - High Fens (Belgium), some hilly areas of North West Germany, Irish hills.

Southern England - Northern France

Cornwall, Devon - Brittany

East Anglia - Northern Netherlands

Wye Valley, Welsh Marches - Wallonia, NW Germany, NE France

A lot of it is due to geology and land use.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Actually, I'm right and I am not psychoneurotic. Hard to accept the fact, eh? Go cry out to your mommy.

Talvi, Talvi, stop living in fantasy-land. Estonia is not Northern Europe and never will be. Eastern Europe for me: Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belarus, former Yugoslavia countries, Finland, (Slavic Countries except for Finland which is an Uralic/Mongoloidish country but has good relations with Russia).

No no. You are so wrong again. I am ashamed of how little you know and understand about the world!

The only Eastern European country is Poland.

Benacer
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Baltic countries, UK, Ireland, Iceland. Maybe the Netherlands too?

Mordid
03-23-2012, 10:40 AM
No no. You are so wrong again. I am ashamed of how little you know and understand about the world!
Pika-boo-hoo-hoo... Anyone who can't deny it are simply self hating Russian/Eastern European..

The only Eastern European country is Poland.
It's hardly Eastern Europe proper, since Poland is Central Eastern Europe. Period.

Middle Earth, of course
Fixed.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
It's hardly Eastern Europe proper, since Poland is Central Eastern Europe. Period.

How is that possible? The Polish are actually Russians!!! Same language and culture and they look the same too!! And both Russia and Poland poor and ugly countries!! I am confused!

The Ripper
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Pika-boo-hoo-hoo... Anyone who can't deny it are simply self hating Russian/Eastern European..

Fixed.

Pole are self-hating wale.

Mordid
03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
How is that possible? The Polish are actually Russians!!! Same language and culture and they look the same too!! And both Russia and Poland poor and ugly countries!! I am confused!
Polish are Polish, not Russian. They don't speak same language, they aren't culturally same and they don't even look same at all. It's just that they are rather similar in that they're both Slavic. Compared to other countries around the world, Poland is above average. However, it isn't really rich, and not poor either. Btw, Poles are closer to Lithuanians than to Russians, minus the language.

Albion
03-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Poland won't be poor forever, its GDP recently surpassed the Netherlands. Estonia has the advantage of being smaller meaning it is easier and quicker to develop.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 10:57 AM
:( looks like I am not a very successful troll. You win again Mordid.

Mordid
03-23-2012, 11:01 AM
:( looks like I am not a very successful troll. You win again Mordid.
Oh, Talvi the Estonian princess. I'm sorry.. Sometimes I troll you because I fancy you. Uh oh, I can't believe I just said it out loud. :coffee:

Talvi
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Oh, Talvi the Estonian princess. I'm sorry.. Sometimes I troll you because I fancy you. Uh oh, I can't believe I just said it out loud. :coffee:

Id be flattered but Ive learnt not to trust any Slavs.

Mordid
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
That's fine. I think I'm gonna go for Karl, he's very sexy.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
That's fine. I think I'm gonna go for Karl, he's very sexy.

Admit it! I am not depigmented enough for you to fight for! Thats why you choose the blonde haired, light eyed Karl!

Mordid
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Admit it! I am not depigmented enough for you to fight for! Thats why you choose the blonde haired, light eyed Karl!
Not true. Personally, I'm more into dark hair/light eyes and medium eyes types. I like him because he's a nice guy with nice personality, not because he's depigmented.

Tel Errant
03-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Scandinavian countries.

Ants
03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
i agree. I consider Scandinavia, Russia, northern Germany, the Netherlands, and scotland to be northern Europe, but the Balts want to be central Europe, so they can't really be both...:coffee:

I'm pretty sure you're just ignorant on this topic and the area of the Baltic countries, so please go and read a little about whether the Estonians have anything in common with the Balts, before throwing out your opinions. Thanks.

riverman
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure you're just ignorant on this topic and the area of the Baltic countries, so please go and read a little about whether the Estonians have anything in common with the Balts, before throwing out your opinions. Thanks.

I take it you haven't been reading what Estonians are commenting about regarding central and northern Europe as labels for Estonia and the baltic countries.
I'm stating facts, I'd suggest you read those threads and then contribute your opinion. Thanx.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 04:10 PM
I take it you haven't been reading Estonians are commenting about regarding central and northern Europe as labels for Estonia and the baltic countries.
I'm stating facts, I'd suggest you read those threads and then contribute your opinion. Thanx.

I think Kustas is Estonian.

And Ive never met an Estonian who thinks Estonia is in any way connected to Central Europe.

And before you tell me to go to some stupid threads Ill let you know that I am also Estonian.

That fact is that an idiot who knows nothing about Estonia and has never been here should stfu :)

fucking americans.

riverman
03-23-2012, 04:11 PM
I think Kustas is Estonian.

And Ive never met an Estonian who thinks Estonia is in any way connected to Central Europe.

And before you tell me to go to some stupid threads Ill let you know that I am also Estonian.

That fact is that an idiot who knows nothing about Estonia and has never been here should stfu :)

fucking americans.

Go read the "What is central europe thread"...otherwise stfu.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Go read the "What is central europe thread"...otherwise stfu.

Lol. Idiot. There arent enough active Estonians here who think such bullshit.

Most likely people who said that were not Estonians, but idiots like you.

riverman
03-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Lol. Idiot. There arent enough active Estonians here who think such bullshit.

Most likely people who said that were not Estonians, but idiots like you.

Don't insult my character you scumbag, if you don't know the context of what you're "commenting" on then you're the ignorant person here.

Unless you think "Karl" is not relly Estonian...in that case take it up with him.

Talvi
03-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Don't insult my character you scumbag, if you don't know the context of what you're "commenting" on then you're the ignorant person here.

Unless you think "Karl" is not relly Estonian...in that case take it up with him.

... Karls aim in his life is to prove that Estonia is in Northern Europe. He is well known for that on this forum.

Maybe you have problems with reading and understanding what you read?

Never in my life have I seen Karl say Estonia is Central Europe. Nor can I find any evidence in it in that thread.

3 Estonians say that Estonia is NOT Central Europe and one Estonian (EWitt i think) gave reasons why one would think Estonia can be Central. I dont see where you are getting the impression that Estonians say they are central??????

riverman
03-23-2012, 04:36 PM
... Karls aim in his life is to prove that Estonia is in Northern Europe. He is well known for that on this forum.

Maybe you have problems with reading and understanding what you read?

Never in my life have I seen Karl say Estonia is Central Europe. Nor can I find any evidence in it in that thread.

3 Estonians say that Estonia is NOT Central Europe and one Estonian (EWitt i think) gave reasons why one would think Estonia can be Central. I dont see where you are getting the impression that Estonians say they are central??????

Why would Estonia be northern Europe but Lithuania the center of Central Europe?/ seriously you're the one who needs to read that thread... :rolleyes:

Styggnacke
03-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Why would Estonia be northern Europe but Lithuania the center of Central Europe?/ seriously you're the one who needs to read that thread... :rolleyes:
Because Estonia is more northern than Lithuania?

Talvi
03-23-2012, 04:40 PM

Because we are not the same country, our history, language and character and culture is different.

What Lithuanians think of themselves is not what Estonians think of themselves.

We are talking about what Estonians think, not what some Lithuanian girl thinks of Lithuania and you foolishly thinking we are the same country.

My opinion stands, you are a fool.

riverman
03-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Because Estonia is more northern than Lithuania?

[facepalm] Have you read the threads I'm referring to? I'm not talking about claims that Lithuania and Estonia are Central Europe I'm referring to claims that they're THE CENTER OF CENTRAL EUROPE. :icon_neutral:

Talvi
03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
[facepalm] Have you read the threads I'm referring to? I'm not talking about claims that Lithuania and Estonia are Central Europe I'm referring to claims that they're THE CENTER OF CENTRAL EUROPE. :icon_neutral:

Yes I read that thread. There are 0 Estonians saying that Estonia is the center of central Europe.

Or would you please show me exactly who is saying that by quoting since apparently Im too dumb to find it?

Because this is what you said:

I take it you haven't been reading what Estonians are commenting about regarding central and northern Europe as labels for Estonia and the baltic countries.

And NO Estonian is saying that Estonia is Central Europe.

riverman
03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Yes I read that thread. There are 0 Estonians saying that Estonia is the center of central Europe.

Or would you please show me exactly who is saying that by quoting since apparently Im too dumb to find it?

Because this is what you said:

And NO Estonian is saying that Estonia is Central Europe.

Go check out that thread, I answered to one instance. :embarrassed

Talvi
03-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Go check out that thread, I answered to one instance. :embarrassed

Karl said that Estonia is the centre of Europe. Not Central Europe or the center of central Europe. :)

Isnt English your mother tongue?

Mordid
03-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Barbariansteel, don't mind them. They should control their furious Finnic temper as well as they should take a med, what can be done should be done. :lol:

riverman
03-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Barbariansteel, don't mind them. They should control their furious Finnic temper as well as they should take a med, what can be done should be done. :lol:

True. Cheers. ;)

Äike
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM

Not a single Estonian regards his/her country as Central-European, we are Northern-Europeans.

Now when all the active Estonian members have told you that you're ignorant, will you decide to continue this tirade?

The geographic centre of Europe is located in Lithuania or Estonia (if you also count the Azores and Franz Joseph land). But this is unrelated to the Central, Northern, Southern etc. divisions in Europe. It's just a geographical marking.

kwp_wp
03-23-2012, 11:33 PM
IMHO
Northern Europe consists of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Denmark, maybe Faroe Island, and that's it
oh.. and North part of European Russia

Ants
03-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Capitals that I personally consider to be in Northern-Europe.

Reykjavík (64° 8′ 0″ N)
Helsinki (60° 10′ 15″ N)
Oslo (59° 56′ 58″ N)
Stockholm (59° 19′ 46″ N)
Tallinn (59° 26′ 14″ N)
Riga (56° 56′ 56″ N)
Edinburgh (55° 57′ 11″ N)
Moscow (55° 45′ 0″ N)
Copenhagen (55° 40′ 34″ N)

larali
03-24-2012, 02:36 AM

I think Central/Northern Germany, the Baltic States, and even Beneleux are notable to mention in the context of Northern Europe. When I think of Northern Europe I stereotypically think of the British Isles and Scandinavia as being the two big regions.

Whatever he says.:thumb001:

Komintasavalta
07-21-2021, 09:37 PM
A good definition of Northern Europe is the parts of Europe that are further north than the southernmost point of the Baltic Sea:

https://i.ibb.co/fqm3ydr/northerneurope.jpg

Out of the countries and subnational governing bodies of Northern Europe, the largest by land area is Russia, followed by Sweden (about 450,000 km˛) and Komi Republic (about 426,000 km˛).

Capitals that I personally consider to be in Northern-Europe.

Reykjavík (64° 8′ 0″ N)
Helsinki (60° 10′ 15″ N)
Oslo (59° 56′ 58″ N)
Stockholm (59° 19′ 46″ N)
Tallinn (59° 26′ 14″ N)
Riga (56° 56′ 56″ N)
Edinburgh (55° 57′ 11″ N)
Moscow (55° 45′ 0″ N)
Copenhagen (55° 40′ 34″ N)

Most of those are pretty mild based on their yearly average temperature. Based on yearly average temperature data listed by Wikipedia, Reykjavik is the coldest Indo-European capital of Europe, but it is still warmer than any of the three Turkic capitals of Northern Europe (Kazan, Cheboksary, and Ufa):

LatitudeYearly
average
temperatureCity
67.7-3.1Naryan-Mar (Nenets Autonomous Okrug)
69.5-2.3Kárášjohka (Sápmi)
61.71.3Syktyvkar (Komi Republic)
59.01.7Kudymkar (Komi-Permyak Okrug)
56.93.0Izhevsk (Udmurtia)
61.83.1Petrozavodsk (Republic of Karelia)
56.63.2Yoshkar-Ola (Mari El)
54.73.8Ufa (Bashkortostan)
56.14.3Cheboksary (Chuvashia)
55.84.6Kazan (Tatarstan)
64.14.7Reykjavik
54.25.3Saransk (Mordovia)
60.15.7Mariehamn (Ĺland Islands)
55.65.8Moscow
60.15.9Helsinki
59.55.9Tallinn
57.06.1Riga
54.76.7Vilnius
59.96.8Oslo
62.06.8Tórshavn (Faroe Islands)
59.37.6Stockholm
55.79.1Copenhagen
55.99.3Edinburgh

Ayetooey
07-21-2021, 09:39 PM
VUR. NW Europe=admixed wog, everyone else is wog.

Arūnas
07-21-2021, 09:54 PM
on the other hand, phenotypically even Turkey can be Northern, all those Tronders from thousands of somebodys posts

Ayetooey
07-21-2021, 10:33 PM
on the other hand, phenotypically even Turkey can be Northern, all those Tronders from thousands of somebodys posts
Paleo-Atlantid, peaks in Wales and Turkey.

King Niko
07-21-2021, 10:38 PM
i did not see africa as an option

fake news